• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
So, Emily posted that the assumption is the Grinch banner is the full roster. Who thinks it's real that assumes that, and why could they possibly have any reason to assume that? The only reasonable assumption, to me, is that's the characters that will be released prior to that particular event the hanger is being used at. It's not the banner that will be released on the website prior to launch or in the final Direct (could be, but no reason to assume it has to be the case). It does not directly contradict missing characters--the only real roadblock is adding the missing characters to the banner, that's overboard in terms of how many characters could likely be announced in the final month. The one direct contradiction to the banner would be a character on the banner who's not playable (which is Mystic's reasons for doubting it, and is a much better case against the banner)

If this is the assumption insiders have against the banner--that's exactly the flawed assumption that make me doubt their conclusion in the first place. Having been said, we'll know soon enough anyways, as it only takes one character art reveal to make or break the banner. :upsidedown:
>''insiders'' are now saying they have info on specific things like Assist Trophies
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, Emily posted that the assumption is the Grinch banner is the full roster. Who thinks it's real that assumes that, and why could they possibly have any reason to assume that? The only reasonable assumption, to me, is that's the characters that will be released prior to that particular event the hanger is being used at. It's not the banner that will be released on the website prior to launch or in the final Direct (could be, but no reason to assume it has to be the case). It does not directly contradict missing characters--the only real roadblock is adding the missing characters to the banner, that's overboard in terms of how many characters could likely be announced in the final month. The one direct contradiction to the banner would a character on the banner who's not playable (which is Mystic's reasons for doubting it, and is a much better case against the banner)

If this is the assumption insiders have against the banner--that's exactly the flawed assumption that make me doubt their conclusion in the first place. Having been said, we'll know soon enough anyways, as it only takes one character art reveal to make or break the banner. :upsidedown:
Even though Emily is generally less reliable than some of the other leakers we've heard from, I do think it's interesting how she restated the Assist Trophy thing. I believe she's the third person who's suggested that one of the banner characters is an AT.

These insiders could have a bad source, but I'm starting to think Isaac, Shadow, or Mach Rider are an AT, and that's why these insiders are doubtful.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
>''insiders'' are now saying they have info on specific things like Assist Trophies
View attachment 173622
Indeed, which is why I mentioned Mystic's claim that an assist trophy being on the banner is a bigger contradiction, than assuming it's the final banner.

EDIT: Just saw that Emily had the assist trophy in her post. Makes sense, I would say, if true, it's insiders best reason for not believing the banner (not the missing character argument that was used ad nauseum).

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i'm team " i want a direct soon".
all these insiders that know things and...drink...
and that mysterious banner....

please Sakurai . we need the direct soon. My life is too much SMASH BROS right now!

Last edited:

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Also in case I'm not here for page 6969 (which is a possibility), can someone take up my mantle and post Yoshi... stuff?
Do you mind if its wrestler yoshi from paper mario 2?

That guy is my hero

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Reminder that even if an argument has been talked about already, please remain respectful and understand not everyone is up to date. Also try not to insult people as well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So, Emily posted that the assumption is the Grinch banner is the full roster. Who thinks it's real that assumes that, and why could they possibly have any reason to assume that? The only reasonable assumption, to me, is that's the characters that will be released prior to that particular event the hanger is being used at. It's not the banner that will be released on the website prior to launch or in the final Direct (could be, but no reason to assume it has to be the case). It does not directly contradict missing characters--the only real roadblock is adding the missing characters to the banner, that's overboard in terms of how many characters could likely be announced in the final month. The one direct contradiction to the banner would be a character on the banner who's not playable (which is Mystic's reasons for doubting it, and is a much better case against the banner)

Pssh, Emily? I dont really believe anything she says

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Even though Emily is generally less reliable than some of the other leakers we've heard from, I do think it's interesting how she restated the Assist Trophy thing. I believe she's the third person who's suggested that one of the banner characters is an AT.

These insiders could have a bad source, but I'm starting to think Isaac, Shadow, or Mach Rider are an AT, and that's why these insiders are doubtful.
I'd personally guess Mach Rider because the exploding into pixels on hit thing seems right up Sakurai's alley and would be difficult for a playable to do. Of course, if they're all ATs I'd be sad.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
The whole "one of them is an AT" is just pretty strange.... Sakurai won't put an AT in the character roster (aside Mr.Saturn, as it's a common joke between titles), that would make a lot of people mad....

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, which is why I mentioned Mystic's claim that an assist trophy being on the banner is a bigger contradiction, than assuming it's the final banner.

EDIT: Just saw that Emily had the assist trophy in her post. Makes sense, I would say, if true, it's insiders best reason for not believing the banner (not the missing character argument that was used ad nauseum).
Not arguing you, you're just reporting on what you saw but there is absolutely no way these insiders know about things like assist trophies. This is getting ridiculous.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
btw , it's common that we're getting a stage in tuesday? I thought it usually happens on wednesday , with the song.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed that mods defused the 6666 bomb with the gluing of the threads

:(

osby

Smash Obsessed
The whole "one of them is an AT" is just pretty strange.... Sakurai won't put an AT in the character roster (aside Mr.Saturn, as it's a common joke between titles), that would make a lot of people mad....
I think "one of them is an AT" is a point against the Grinch Leak. Like, "it's not real, because I know one of the characters in that is an assist". Though I'm not sure if I get the whole thing.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Regardless of the current situation I think it's significantly better than going "Muh Occam's Razor" cause that was just dumb lmao
You do know Occam's Razor is a legitimate tool used for problem solving right? The real problem is it's based on using the simplest assumptions, but people disagree what the simplest assumption is. Those who use the adage "fake until proven real" are using Occam's Razor implicitly. It's how we reason.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mr. Saturn also has the benefit of being very close to Ness right? Cause like, he's tiny and like the banner, is like the Djinn and Isaac interacting "Even though I don't really see the Venus Djinn shape there"

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
These insiders could have a bad source, but I'm starting to think Isaac, Shadow, or Mach Rider are an AT, and that's why these insiders are doubtful.[/QUOTE]

I have a bad gut feeling that banjo is the AT if this is true.

To the point that I’m now hoping the direct will be next week so that their credibility will be knocked down a notch.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I don't care about the validity of the leak at this point. All I need is my blue star boi and I'm golden. Listening to "Goodbye Geno" from the SMRPG soundtrack is slowly becoming torture, with the thought that we may never see Geno again. Like, the song was already sad before, but if Geno doesn't make it into Smash when he had a chance, it's going to be double sad...

We all need to wish upon our "Lucky Star", Genobois.
see what I did there

D

Deleted member

Oh, we're back! Did we manage to summon the Grinch for questioning back on page 6666?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Not arguing you, you're just reporting on what you saw but there is absolutely no way these insiders know about things like assist trophies. This is getting ridiculous.
Why? Despite not being as important as actual characters, why exactly would it be impossible for an insider to know about assist trophies?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't, and I never did care about the outcome of the leak past the entertainment value following it that the conversation would otherwise hold for me.
It's like a story with multiple endings.

A lot of people here, there, and elsewhere made it a little hard to watch though.
Like if you're watching a TV drama and there's an absurdly long car accident in it.

"Just... stop already."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You do know Occam's Razor is a legitimate tool used for problem solving right? The real problem is it's based on using the simplest assumptions, but people disagree what the simplest assumption is. Those who use the adage "fake until proven real" are using Occam's Razor implicitly. It's how we reason.
Some guy was going "The simplist explanation is probably the real one so it's real because that's simpler than someone with a lot of time on their hands faking it, which is what I mean, which would be the opposite for ESRB and the Rayman leak
We all need to wish upon our "Lucky Star"
Konata is an anime character, she'd just be another blue haired swordswoman either way

OurBoyRoy

Smash Cadet
It's odd to me that so many of these insiders seem to have access to the same limited pool of information, but none of them were interested in disclosing anything before the Grinch leak and even now, they only come right up to the verge of revealing something definitive, only to avoid any committed statements. (e.g. Very clear hints of either Mach Rider, Shadow or Isaac as an AT, but no one is outright saying it.)

It's odd behavior but I don't necessarily think this means the leak is real. Perhaps they all have legitimate sources (likely overlapping) but felt sharing information might compromise those sources. In the wake of the grinch leak's massive impact they could suddenly feel a responsibility to temper the community's expectations (supposing the final roster is smaller and perhaps doesn't include one or two of the fan favorites.) That might compel them to say something, however vague, to try to let people know that their information says the leak is fake.

I'm still leaning toward real based on the total picture but the above scenario is possible. And if any of the insiders have it right, I think that's probably curtains for Banjo.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I know I don't mean to go in full circle or anything, but while the AT thing is odd, as well we only had about 3 people state a thing, they're not exactly saying characters are faked. Aren't they kind of just pointing to the fact that while the leaked banner itself is fake as far as the art goes, characters in that banner can be playable fighters. Was that not the consensus?

Yes...I know all the work that would have to go in it to fake it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom