• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's because the pain of coming that close and having it all just blow up in your face is ****ing bad. Really ****ing bad.

Not that I'm justifying the bad behavior in the slightest. But this is by far the best/worst leak smash has ever had, for the characters and legitimacy behind it.
I think the problem was the "team aspect"--it's fun as a joke, but when taken seriously, just leads to more in-fighting. People thinking they know better than others and practically demanding everyone believe the same as them. :facepalm:

Hopefully, once the Direct comes the anxieties will subside and we can get hyped for what's in store.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
No reason to have only ten minutes dedicated to your by far biggest game of the year a month before launch.

Edit: Especially when you've gone over only half of it.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Imagine the rage and madness that would occur if Sakurai said Isaac was an assist trophy.
I'm actually banking for either Mach Rider/Chorus Kid/Geno for being one of the AT suspect...
Banjo not being here at all.

Something something, The grinch leak might be 75% right, but will probably turn out as a fake with some good guesses.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
He mentioned wanting to talk more about it later, I doubt he means just revealing the name.
Solid point, but it goes against what I just said so I'm going to call you unreliable and follow every post so I can try and make you look like you're wrong ;)

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
My whole thing about the Grinch Leak is who of the 7 is totally unbelievable?
No one, which is one of the reasons I'm on team fake. The initial Gematsu leak had the Wii Fit Trainer, who was so out of left field that no one even though of her as an option. ESRB had Dr. Mario returning and the Duck Hunt dog, two characters no one predicted. The first Vergeben made a ton of absurd claims, like literally every single character coming back and the addition of a character who was deemed impossible by Sakurai himself. The Grinch leak, on the other hand, is nothing but heavily requested and expected characters. Even the retro rep is someone who was already planned for a previous game. It's really suspicious to me that nothing here is out of left field.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
No reason to have only ten minutes dedicated to your by far biggest game of the year a month before launch.
People are just speculating if it's just a dedicated smash direct or a general one. I honestly don't know why itd be a General since they had one 2 months ago for all the games coming out until early next year.

D

Deleted member

rest in peace online mode
Sakurai: "We know you're all eager to hear how you'll be able to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online, so we made a video to showcase it. Please, take a look."
*Screen fades to black*
*a honking noise is heard as the screen lights up again*
*Mario is falling through the sky and lands in a plains stage*
*Suddenly more characters show up*
*8, 9, 10, no, 100!*
*Text is splashed onto the screen: SUPER SMASH BROS. BATTLE ROYALE!*
Sakurai: "That's right, we're including a Battle Royale mode as the main form of online play. This way, you can finally duke it out across a giant map to find out who will truly get the Victory Royale with your favorite Nintendo characters."

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I'm actually banking for either Mach Rider/Chorus Kid/Geno for being one of the AT suspect...

Something something, The grinch leak might be 75% right, but will probably turn out as a fake with some good guesses.
I think if anyone's the AT, it's probably Mach Rider. It seems like a concept that Sakurai has kept going back to, which means that it just hasn't worked out as of yet. It could be entirely possible that he's dead set on the bike being a central part of his moveset and feels the best way to do that is as an assist, where he can get away with limited functionality.

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, I think Mach Rider is in. I mean, I doubt the toy gun was for Shadow, and I haven’t seen anyone mention another retro character. I’m certain on Isaac being in due to insiders and the plant item.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Us if the end result for Ultimate happens to be way off. Saving this for later.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ FABLEMAD TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Thank you so much dude my Spirit bomb is growing bigger by the minute along with the probability of the Grinch leak being real

In all seriousness you guys I think I'm going to take a break for today. It was a great day to speculate and I think we got some (mostly) healthy conversations out. Whichever side you're on, I think it's fair to say that we're all excited for this to be confirmed/deconfirmed. I am literally dizzy from reading now so I'm gonna go take a shower and watch some One Piece, Dressrosa is just too good. Somebody prepare a huge file of everything that happened so that I can be up to date tomorrow morning.

Stay gold and remember; don't harass the insiders / the believers!

D

Deleted member

I think the problem was the "team aspect"--it's fun as a joke, but when taken seriously, just leads to more in-fighting. People thinking they know better than others and practically demanding everyone believe the same as them. :facepalm:

Hopefully, once the Direct comes the anxieties will subside and we can get hyped for what's in store.
Nah, people will just rub it in the opposing sides' face, depending on which ends up being correct.
I preferred it when we were all memeing about the Grinch and Wendy's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sakurai: "We know you're all eager to hear how you'll be able to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online, so we made a video to showcase it. Please, take a look."
*Screen fades to black*
*a honking noise is heard as the screen lights up again*
*Mario is falling through the sky and lands in a plains stage*
*Suddenly more characters show up*
*8, 9, 10, no, 100!*
*Text is splashed onto the screen: SUPER SMASH BROS. BATTLE ROYALE!*
Sakurai: "That's right, we're including a Battle Royale mode as the main form of online play. This way, you can finally duke it out across a giant map to find out who will truly get the Victory Royale with your favorite Nintendo characters."
10/10 would be fantastic.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
A smash direct is more likely, because we basically know there are more than 2 fighters left, they have multiple modes left to show, multiple assist trophies, and we did just have a general direct, a smash direct hasn't happened in months and the game is about to come out.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
People are just speculating if it's just a dedicated smash direct or a general one. I honestly don't know why itd be a General since they had one 2 months ago for all the games coming out until early next year.
I'm fairly certain there isn't much for Nintendo to reveal right now that isn't Smash, besides MAYBE the N64 mini. I'd place my bets on a Smash direct.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
If the direct is on the first, and Lucas isn’t on the smash blog for oct 29th, and the insiders who are vehemently against the leak are cocky about all this, does this mean that the banner leak is fake? mayonnaise is an instrument?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A smash direct is more likely, because we basically know there are more than 2 fighters left, they have multiple modes left to show, multiple assist trophies, and we did just have a general direct, a smash direct hasn't happened in months and the game is about to come out.
"we basically know"
Nintendo don't care what we "know", we don't actually know a thing. Entirely possible outcome.
I suggest you don't use that point.

You know what's funny. Almost no one leaked King K Rool. Not Virgin burger, not any insider. Who's to say we don't have a similar situation here? That's not even to mention Richter. Hell, I don't think anyone did.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Can you get me the source on Mystic? I thought Geno was one of the two he was dead certain on?
If I recall, in a general tweet he mentioned that he was pretty sure on Geno, but then when PMing someone he said it was Chorus Kids, Shadow, Incineroar, Ken, Isaac he was pretty sure on and said it was no mistake that he did not say he was sure on Geno this time.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, it looks like the last thread blew up while I was sleeping, and a new one has taken it's place. I wouldn't be all too surprised if this one eventually hits 1000 pages come next week if we actually get anything regarding Smash Bros, Grinch Leak or not, what with the pace this thread often goes at.

Anyways, I'm still in Team Optimistically Awaiting Direct From The Sidelines. It's going to be interesting to see where this road leads us.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I-if you say that again im gonna steal your lunch money then cry, don't make me do it.
Look, I'm basically making the "Geno being an AT" a runing gag ever since August.
He's going to Geno Whirl and Geno Beam people and will be able to get K.O'd with the New AT system.

Then Sakurai will pan out with how Mii Gunner got reworked with a concept close to what Geno does as an AT

And we will get another weird looking Geno Costume.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel Box Theory will be dead because insiders said "Not just Incineroar" when asked about who's missing on the leak, I believe.

I may be wrong though, that's just what I remember.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If the direct is on the first, and Lucas isn’t on the smash blog for oct 29th, and the insiders who are vehemently against the leak are cocky about all this, does this mean that the banner leak is fake? mayonnaise is an instrument?
No, and horse radish isn’t an instrument, either. :troll:

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
No one, which is one of the reasons I'm on team fake. The initial Gematsu leak had the Wii Fit Trainer, who was so out of left field that no one even though of her as an option. ESRB had Dr. Mario returning and the Duck Hunt dog, two characters no one predicted. The first Vergeben made a ton of absurd claims, like literally every single character coming back and the addition of a character who was deemed impossible by Sakurai himself. The Grinch leak, on the other hand, is nothing but heavily requested and expected characters. Even the retro rep is someone who was already planned for a previous game. It's really suspicious to me that nothing here is out of left field.
Can you give an example of who would be an "absurd" or "out of left field" Nintendo character for Smash Ultimate? With WTF, Rob and Duck Hunt already in, I can't imagine any other that would be such a big quirky surprise like that. Maybe Poochy? I don't know...

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
I feel Box Theory will be dead because insiders said "Not just Incineroar" when asked about who's missing on the leak, I believe.

I may be wrong though, that's just what I remember.
Box theory has been dead for a while.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If it's not obvious Chro idk what's going on with Mystic what dm???
I made this post earlier explaining it but I’m assuming you didn’t see it. I don’t have the DM saved but I do remember him saying that him not mentioning Geno isn’t backpedaling so I’m pretty sure he’s still confident about Geno, just not as confident as the other characters.
Gonna try to explain from the beginning, at least from what I remember. He posted an update about what his sources told him and said the following:

Confirmed:

1. There’s 108 Stages
2. Ken, Shadow and Incineroar should be in
3. He’s confident enough to say after talking to enough people that Isaac and Geno are in, but if he finds something else out about them he’ll update us.

Deconfirmed:

1. There’s no Minecraft content.

Unconfirmed:

1. The Banner itself. He said he was told the banner has some oddities and elements that are different than the one people have seen.

Then he posted his own personal opinion that he thinks the banner is fake, but quickly realized that people may take what he said the wrong way so he promised to explain later but before he could, he got harassed for it. Then later he explained that while he’s confident that Geno and Isaac are in, he doesn’t want his word being taken as gospel. And that he didn’t deconfirm the other three characters (Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and Banjo) whatsoever. And he tried explaining his earlier comment about the banner, where he considers unconfirmed but personally thinks its fake, but people harassed him for backpedaling. Later on he also told someone privately that Chorus Kids are also in and that one of the characters on the Mural are an assist trophy (Though, I think he was speculated with the latter). Eventually due to the harassment he privated his Twitter.

Basically, he did everything people would want from an insider by being transparent with us, updating us and answering our questions, and even telling us don’t take his word as Gospel, yet he got harassed for just personally thinking the banner was fake.

So what do people hope happens in the direct?

1) Grinch leak confirmed
2) Insiders knowledge confirmed
3) Box theory confirmed
4) Everybody is wrong, totally different characters not mentioned by leaks or insiders
5) Darkest timeline; the direct is repurposed into an hour long Fortnite stream. No more info until launch.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nah, people will just rub in in the opposing sides' face, depending on which ends up being correct.
I preferred it when we were all memeing about the Grinch and Wendy's.
There's so much meme potential with this banner to have fun BSing about. I highly doubt we went through all that meme potential in a few days before the in-fighting got ahead.

It involves the ****ing Grinch.

This guy.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Can you give an example of who would be an "absurd" or "out of left field" Nintendo character for Smash Ultimate? With WTF, Rob and Duck Hunt already in, I can't imagine any other that would be such a big quirky surprise like that. Maybe Poochy? I don't know...
sans undertale, the scientist from gyromite, stanley, the pilot of the ship from radar scope, etc

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I have to comment on the banner leak because it and the related information are the strongest points for Banjo-Kazooie being in the game. And that is a series that matters deeply to me.

If Banjo-Kazooie's trademark was renewed so recently, then they must be a character that's very hastily added to the game if they're in the vanilla release. This means that they will have the least amount of testing and professional scrutiny when balancing just like Corrin and Bayonetta in Smash 4. So I will enjoy Banjo & Kazooie being the uncontested best character in the game until the first few balance patches stabilize them, and I will still continue to play them after.

Unless, you know, they're designed to have Bad Kit like Zelda and Samus.
The site is really glitched. Why is this the first post in the thread now?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
ACKSHTUALLY... Wii Fit Trainer made a lot of sense in hindsight; as did Duck Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom