• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Another note, I need to play more Kirby games. I've played Super Star Ultra, but I don't know where else to go.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Stands to reason that they wouldn't give away their client, especially if this whole thing turns out to be real. Given that today's a business day and they still haven't put out any sort of statement regarding this whole fiasco when Marina was pretty timely about it, I think their behavoir now is rather suspect.
Exactly. Silence speaks volumes.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Okay okay okay I didn't think it through
Here's the base again:
View attachment 173342

Instead of adding a single element and building UP to a fighter, how about everyone just makes their own entire fighter so we can make a Smash Ultimate Discussion Thread roster.

The thread moves too fast to do it the other way and I don't wanna make another thread in Forum Games yet:laugh:
Sooo... one thing led to another. :nervous:
Rottytopsisbesteverything .png

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Here's the base again:
View attachment 173342

Instead of adding a single element and building UP to a fighter, how about everyone just makes their own entire fighter so we can make a Smash Ultimate Discussion Thread roster.

The thread moves too fast to do it the other way and I don't wanna make another thread in Forum Games yet:laugh:

Done
Trans Lesbian Demon Yakuza aka Cereza

Untouch

Smash Master
Stands to reason that they wouldn't give away their client, especially if this whole thing turns out to be real. Given that today's a business day and they still haven't put out any sort of statement regarding this whole fiasco when Marina was pretty timely about it, I think their behavoir now is rather suspect.
There was another company involved in the leak, Illumination and Universal.
While there really isn't sensitive info to protect, an NDA is an NDA.
Along with that, if the "leak" did happen at ACP, they probably want to investigate it first before making a statement.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
A direct this week would be wild but if the direct is anything but a Smash Direct, I can’t really see it being a general direct. More likely it may be a nindies direct or maybe even a game specific direct... who knows

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Ooo, ooo! Are we spawning a RE discussion??

*cracks knuckles*

OKAY. So.

As much as I love Chris and would take a bullet for the guy, he's not in the discussion. He's been well exposed through MvC3, UMvC3, MvCi and the rumored MvC4. He's also the only returning character they used in RE7. I think he's out.

The real debate is Jill vs. Leon.

Jill
For:
  • On the boxart for REmake, exclusive to Gamecube then Wii.
  • Main character of 3DS exclusive game, RE: Revelations.
  • Starred in games on Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, Switch and even a failed GBC game.
  • Has a 2D fighting game moveset to draw from (MvC2 or MvC3, preferably 2, especially with Sakurai's insistence on using retro aesthetics for third parties)
  • The star of one of the most influential games in modern history.
Against:
  • Has already made multiple appearances in MvC.
  • Does not star in any currently announced game since Revelations.

Leon
For:
  • On the boxart for RE4, exclusive to Gamecube initially.
  • Main character of the only N64 RE game, RE2.
  • Starred in games on N64, Gamecube, Wii and GBC.
  • Benefits from Capcom wanting current promotion due to RE2's remake.
  • The star of one of the most praise-lauded games in modern history.
Against:
  • Has no previously established moveset to draw from.
  • Was never in a game exclusive to a Nintendo console since the PS2 version of RE4 was announced before the GCN version even released.

Personal preference? Jill.

More likely candidate? Eeehhhhhhhhh... I feel like Leon, if Capcom wanted to push him in negotiations for a RE character.

I agree with you about Jill and Leon being the RE characters with more chances to get into Smash.
I would actually love any of them, but I think if one goes in, the other could as well be the echo fighter.
Or even better, being a Olimar/Alph or WiiFitTrainer(M/F) scenario where they share the same spot, even if their bodies have some size differences.
That way you don't leave one of them out, and it does not feel over-represented.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I've never been on Serenes Forest, but... seeing how the FE community is and what little posts I saw from there...

Yeah, I guess we're still good lol
FE fans are so weird

I have never seen a larger group of people that get psychotically mad at anime games but still play games that have been anime since inception lol

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A direct this week would be wild but if the direct is anything but a Smash Direct, I can’t really see it being a general direct. More likely it may be a nindies direct or maybe even a game specific direct... who knows
It's gonna be a direct direct, where they use the word direct in every sentence to direct you to the fact that this direct is better than every other direct that could have been directed.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Wanna play a game?

Everyone should add one element to this picture, one at a time, to create the Ultimate Smash Bros fighter.
Eventually if people do it right and build off of the previous edition, we will hopefully have something totally inconceivable and asinine.
Yay!

View attachment 173328

I feel ya.
I've been doing virtually nothing today cause I really don't feel up to anything but MS Paint and Photoshop apparently lol
1540842544976.png

Voila here is my suggestion character never mind the ****ty drawing lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
it's true. People aren't going to dance around with playing mind games; some of these insiders just want to be left alone and stop getting **** asked to them.
Honestly, they know what's coming for them when they put their heads out there and say they know stuff, and if they don't then they must be new to the job. I get that it sucks to be hounded, but it's not hard to keep the information to yourself and avoid having people flock around you, the only purpose throwing it out there serves is so they can say "Told ya" if it's fake and add another thing to their list of things they called. At the end of the day they're still doing things out of self interest, I'm not buying into the whole "protect the fanbase from their own hype" thing people are throwing around, especially not when it comes from people like Ryce who are otherwise not associated with Nintendo stuff.

I get trusting them, their words are still the biggest thing keeping me from outright believing the leak, but I don't see the point in framing the Smash fanbase as villains that are harassing the poor insiders. A lot of the people we're talking about here are seasoned leakers, journalists and content creators, they knew exactly what they were getting into, and given how confident they are it's likely they're taking advantage of the situation to ultimately up their own reputation.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I want Leon to have his day man. Jill and Chris have had their moments in MvC, Leon has yet to shine.

I thnk RE 4 is also very important to keep in mind. That game's become a cult classic for the Gamecube.
That's what I was referring to when I said he's the star of one of the most praise-lauded games of all time. People rarely say anything bad about RE4. It wasn't the system seller Nintendo had hoped it would be because it was undercut by the PS2 version, but in terms of gaming history, RE4 is probably one of the top five games by measurement of review scores and relevancy in that generation of consoles.

Leon has actually been more present than Jill, however, in the last decade. Jill played a minor role in RE5, released in 2009, then starred in Revelations in the beginning of 2012. She was also a recurring support character in the Milla Jovovich movies.

Leon, on the other hand, was the cover star of RE6 in late 2012, the star of three Capcom-produced CGI movies, and stars in the upcoming RE2 Remake. The main thing going for Leon in this debate is that, unlike Jill and Chris, he's never been in a fighting game before. Which is honestly very surprising, and I think it tilts things in his favor.

That said, I personally don't even count Jill's appearance in MvC3. That wasn't Jill. That was an X-men character in disguise. She wasn't fun to play, had no personality, and I'm not a fan of the battlesuit. I want another MvC2 Jill. Very, very badly.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Ok, I’m sorry but I’m gonna say this:

The Insiders are JUST as bad as TeamReal. Look, I don’t believe the leak at all, but I’m going to defend TeamReal here for a second. You both keep antagonizing each other. Everyone wants to be the one to reveal the information so they get the gratification.

Not to be edgy, but at the end of the day you are all a bunch of losers. You antagonize each other being smug. TeamReal refusing to look at actual proof and “insiders” back peddling consistently. Both groups are being smug jerks.

I think it’s hilarious how both parties are on a “high horse” type of deal right now. Doesn’t matter who the hell you are, get off your high horses.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
"I shall direct you, in the direction, of the direct", said the director directly to Sakurai.
Nope that's not how it works. Try this:

"I shall direct you directly in the direction of the direct", said the director directly to, Sakurai.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So I'm about 50/50 on the direct being on the 1st or the 8th. What do you guys think? For everybody's mental health here, I hope it's the 1st.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I dont understand why people are gloating over putting insiders in their place if the leak ends up confirmed. There is no prize at the end of the road and even in the case that we are right, we will just look like total douchebags. What is so great about that? Is being remembered as "the community who harrassed and insulted their way to victory over a videogame" attractive to anyone? Winning isnt everything! Being wrong is not the end of the world! I am sure people are going to bring up how snarky some of the insiders have been. Even if that was the case, two wrongs dont make a right. Be the better person in this situation.

I can say that Mystic wasnt snarky or a smartass yesterday and still it didnt end up well for Mystic. And there are posts in the other topic that show the transition between "praise for speaking up to us without superiority" to "critizing and attacking him".

We are to blame for the mistakes of the community if we dont speak up and try to be better. In the other thread, I read many times people defending attacks against Vergeben way after he had proven himself a reliable leaker for the smash speculation because he was rude. People wishing him death and hoping that he would be proven wrong because they disliked his attitude. I will ask, has the interaction been any different with the insiders? Because from what I see it has been the same cycle:

1. The SMASH FANS demand the information
2. The SMASH FANS question the information given and bring up accusations against the person when the information doesnt line up with what they want.
3. The SMASH FANS feel insulted that the person: wont pay them attention/ acts rudely after being insulted/ wont change his mind about something he said/ gets angry after SMASH FANS misconstruct what he said and keep using that against them.

People need to consider that perhaps if this keeps happening its not because every person we interact with is a jerk, perhaps it is because we as a community need to be more careful before we open our mouths or take actions of any kind.

And this is in the case that the leak turns out to be true. If the leak is fake, we will look gullible and stubborn douchebags instead especially since most of the community thinks the leak is real. I know some people will say that they arent toxic but that isnt enough. We need to stop being indifferent to toxic behaviors. We need to reject and disapprove actions that makes the community look bad.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Here's the base again:
View attachment 173342

god.png

this is more fun because i can be as stupid as i want without ruining other people's stuff

R O F L

Smash Ace
Atm the Grinch leak has boosted everyone's expectations.
If its fake, and there's only one or two fighters left, there's going to be a lot of disappointed Smash fans...
And if it is real, i'm 100% sure there won't be as much hype as there would've been if the leak wasn't a thing.

Another note, I need to play more Kirby games. I've played Super Star Ultra, but I don't know where else to go.
My personal favorites are Kirby 64, Returns to Dreamland, and Dreamland 3, Star Allies is also good if you have friends you can play it with.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

FE fans are so weird

I have never seen a larger group of people that get psychotically mad at anime games but still play games that have been anime since inception lol
Or claim that cerian games are literally the Devil and bash them to oblivion, despite the fact they admitted they never bothered to even play the games.
That happened. I'm not joking. The dude wasn't even trolling.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Just remember, guys...

Even when the final Direct comes, the nightmares won't end. There's most likely gonna be DLC, and we won't know all of it right away.

SaKuRaI'S wILd RiDe nEVer EnDs

It will be over for me at least. As soon as Phoenix Wright gets annouced as a playable fighter. Then, I can finally relax.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I find it so weird on gamefaqs how so many were completely on board with the idea that the entire chosen roster was decided on and locked down immediately and thus no characters from after that point in times(sans pokemon) could be possible. Just at this point to throw that out for the theory that Incineroar could possibly have been taken out at some point later to be DLC. lol
It just feels weird that people were so adamant on the former and it couldn't be wrong and then some jumped ship onto a theory that contradicts that.

I tend to not believe the leak bait thing either though considering TPC itself likely wouldn't want a pokemon they are actively pushing being dragged through the mud like that for no real benefit to them and that multiple insiders seem adamant with them with seemingly different sources for them thinking this. Which kind of clashes with the leak bait idea as it then becomes harder again to track down who is leaking stuff if you have a good chunk of people all knowing that same fake info

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Kirby 64 and Planet Robobot are the best ones. Dream Land 3 is gorgeous too and I have a lot of nostalgia for Dream Land 2. But yeah Robobot is probably the best Kirby game out there.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
I’m standing still without flinching on the mindset that even if the leak isn’t real, you are out of your mind if you actually think there’s only 2 characters left, let alone Incineroar being the finale

Chrono.

Atm the Grinch leak has boosted everyone's expectations.
If its fake, and there's only one or two fighters left, there's going to be a lot of disappointed Smash fans...
And if it is real, i'm 100% sure there won't be as much hype as there would've been if the leak wasn't a thing.
Even insiders are at least implying we got around 3 or 4 left though.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Holy **** you're good

For real, this mini craze has been funny as **** to me. I have a Super Famicom, and while I'm only really starting to build up a collection (I got Jerry Boy, DKC, Super Mario RPG, and SMT2 so far), each has been maybe £10 a pop. I can build my own, personal library specified to my taste for only a little more than the SNES mini, which just picks for me and totally dodges the obscurities that are the real fun of old consoles.

I'm also incredibly far gone into collecting, with over 150 PS2 games as my pride and joy, so I'm a bit biased but still
We benefit from being collectors before the minis were a thing. I've been buying retro games since right before college, and trading/reselling/bin shopping since to get all of it at a decent price, chunks at a time. It makes it exciting when you get a new (old) game and get to open the case, plug it into the console and turn it on, you know?

So when the SNES Mini was announced and people lost their **** over Star Fox 2, I was like, "Oh? That thing I beat on my actual SNES last year? Neat." The Mini consoles being able to output properly on HDMI without an upscaler is a major benefit, but I already have my collection that I love. I just appreciate having the real thing in working condition with actual games on display beside it. It's a good feeling.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
OOOH ARE WE MAKING SMASH OCS CUZ I ALREADY GOT ONE
Omake.png

This is Omake, the creator of the fighting wire frames
here's some info i've made about him
omake info again.png
Yes, i know im a big nerd XD this is my first time showing this character to the public so i would love some feeback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom