• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I think we need to take a step back from the banner and ask ourselves something:

How the **** would CHADondorf know what characters were cut? Why would a random Japanese dev be ****posting on 4chan.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Once again i've opened the floodgates. What can I say? I'm a sucker for pain.

I'll take everyone's requests into consideration, but I want to make this clear.

You will only be added if I can make it work.

I still want it to look like a competent image, after all.

With that said, don't be afraid to ask to be in the poster. It actually gives me ideas on what to draw. I can't promise everyone will be in it, unfortunately.

And don't worry about me, I want to do this. It's fun!
Can I be in? I'd love to see my Leaf avatar in your style! I know I'm new and don't post a ton, but it's hard to find something to say that's meaningful to conversation sometimes, and i have a slow loading tablet as my device. If you can't fit me in, thats alright, maybe next time. Just know that I think your work's amazing and I want you to succeed in doing what you love!

Iridium

Smash Hero
At this point, Sakurai's ability to "bring back" dead franchises has been impressive. Bringing attention to even the most obscure franchises, whether it be through music, trophies or playable characters, just works. I mean, it is a crossover we're looking at, but this is a grand crossover, especially in Ultimate.

Man, I'm bored. Needed to say something.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So Ryce thinks Lyold is in?

I'm sorry but why would any insider believe this?

Lyold( no offense to his fans) is more then likely never getting in. Unlike banjo his support has been nowhere on par nor is it close to geno's. Plus his game while a classic I'm told is unfortunately dead.

I can't see him beating sora or geno for the square rep. Nor do I see why anyone would buy it. I think Ryce was probably a false name like we know square was doing.
???

This post makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not even going to address it other than saying it's blatantly wrong.

Are you okay dude? Did you get hacked or something?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly the fact multiple people now seem to be saying conflicting things is starting to leed some slight potential to the fact every insider knows a different set of things and only one or few of them are right.

The best way to stop a leak in the first place would be to have multiple people believing multiple different things after all. Still odd that GameXPlain seems to have inside knowledge and they won't speak about this little mural thing at all. But here we have multiple people who know things saying ''It seems off because..."

They won't even say that.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If the banner is fake then I'd at least like to see the full thing posted by the leaker. It'd be nice to see this crazy *** leak in higher quality.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also regardless of what insiders say, I don't think anyone knows the final roster, not even the banner leak.
Nintendo's pulled out as many stops as they could to halt leaks.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Worst case scenario:
-The Minions are the only newcomer left (Ken is an echo though, but somehow of Corrin)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
TL;DR:
  • Mystic comes out and says some stuff, among them is:
    • Grinch leak is fake, and will be proven fake in the next two weeks
    • Isaac and Geno near confirmed
    • Ken, Shadow, and Incineroar very likely
    • No word on Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, or Banjo & Kazooie
    • Lloyd is very likely for DLC
    • 108 stages is a yes
    • There will be a large event detailing most of the remaining newcomers and modes
  • Ryce says that the Grinch leak is fake because it lacks a character his source told him is in and has multiple characters that his source didn't tell him about at all (his source supposedly told him about the full roster).
What if his source was fed fake info to out a rat?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
**** confused him with Chrono.

Also forgot he had a mii costume.

And lyold isn't the main character in later ones is he?

As a Namco rep, i don't see why they'd go with him when Heihachi was literally consider for 4.
One word for ya,
PSABR...

Heihachi's name has been tarnished by it...

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Whatever you gotta tell yourself to get your rocks off bud, nobodys shaming you for your box kink. :p
Totally unrelated but where did you find that dope simon fan art in your profile pic? Really cool redesign of the character and he looks good with a mustache.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It will be boring i am afraid. I stopped caring a long time ago.
then why are you so angsty about people not believing the box

The Banner is not real!
This is NO training everybody stay calm!
STAY F****** CALM!
that's nice

TL;DR:
    • 108 stages is a yes
    • There will be a large event detailing most of the remaining newcomers and modes
  • Ryce says that the Grinch leak is fake because it lacks a character his source told him is in and has multiple characters that his source didn't tell him about at all (his source supposedly told him about the full roster).
I don't know why I'm compelled to disagree with "insiders" who agree with my ideas about what's going on but maybe it's because this whole time I've been mostly debating with myself and not with any of you dudes

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm really conflicted. I feel like so much of the leak is just so Sakurai, but the insiders make it seem totally fake. I really don't know how to feel, but I guess I'll stick to the grinch gang for now
I think that we all like to think we know what a "Sakurai choice" is, but really we don't.

Either that or we know so damn well that fake leakers can emulate it pretty well.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
If the banner is fake then I'd at least like to see the full thing posted by the leaker. It'd be nice to see this crazy *** leak in higher quality.
Good ol' Eric's on a slow boat to China right now, he's too busy evading nintendo ninjas

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
TL;DR:
    • 108 stages is a yes
I don't recall Mystic saying it was fake...?

He just confirmed what he knew, mentioned stuff that was unconfirmed, and disconfirmed Minecraft content oof.

He said most of its characters are in, but he said nothing about some not being in.

edit: nevermind he just mentioned the banner being fake (though he said after careful scrutiny so idk).

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
**** confused him with Chrono.

Also forgot he had a mii costume.

And lyold isn't the main character in later ones is he?

As a Namco rep, i don't see why they'd go with him when Heihachi was literally consider for 4.
Llyod isn't the main character of the later ones. But Tales of is a weird case as they have their own crossover games where he's always super important, then there all of the merch and stuff....Yeah, trust me, LLyod is super important, if there any Tales of characters it's

LLyod
Yuri
Cress
Sorey

One of the four, but Llyod and Yuri are the favourite here

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
TL;DR:
    • 108 stages is a yes
so it would be a safe bet to say the grinch leaks characters are

likely:
geno
isaac
Ken
shadow
maybe:
banjo
nope:
Mach rider
chorus kids

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Omni made the Rayman leak. I could see him pulling something like this with time.
I could see Omni pulling something like the art with time, yeah. But I think an important thing to realize is that a lot of the reason this leak seems so strong is the wide array of different things it got right. To pull this off, someone would need a lot more than just the talent to creating the fake image.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
So Ryce thinks Lyold is in?

I'm sorry but why would any insider believe this?

Lyold( no offense to his fans) is more then likely never getting in. Unlike banjo his support has been nowhere on par nor is it close to geno's. Plus his game while a classic I'm told is unfortunately dead.

I can't see him beating sora or geno for the square rep. Nor do I see why anyone would buy it. I think Ryce was probably a false name like we know square was doing.
I hear your points, but Lloyd isn’t a square character, he’s a Namco one, and they still only have one rep in the game even though they’ve helped make the past 2. Plus there’s the whole “New Tales game coming to switch” that hasn’t been given a title yet, and Tales of Vesperia getting a re-release on the switch. Like I said I hear your points, but his way to being in the game is more than bleak.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Once again i've opened the floodgates. What can I say? I'm a sucker for pain.

I'll take everyone's requests into consideration, but I want to make this clear.

You will only be added if I can make it work.

I still want it to look like a competent image, after all.

With that said, don't be afraid to ask to be in the poster. It actually gives me ideas on what to draw. I can't promise everyone will be in it, unfortunately.

And don't worry about me, I want to do this. It's fun!

Hi, I know i'm new here but if possible I would like to be on that poster. :bee: If you need a track to draw me, you just need to draw a Bee Card (like in my avatar) or a HuCard like this one. It's a small card (that contain video game) that was used on MSX for the Bee Card and PC-Engine for the HuCard. If you have the energy you can draw a bee who hold that card lol (bees are cute Embarrass). Thanks

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think we need to take a step back from the banner and ask ourselves something:

How the **** would CHADondorf know what characters were cut? Why would a random Japanese dev be ****posting on 4chan.
Honestly this entire situation is just making me ask more and more questions as it goes.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think I can (maybe) answer this question, and it's an idea I've seen some get close to but never go all the way with. Strap in though, because this'll be a long one, and the scope prevents a concise TL;DR.

First of all, absent official confirmation, we have been told by quite a few anonymous sources that unlike Smash 4, Nintendo/Sakurai are really cracking down on leaks this time around. Most have said over the past few months that Nintendo has been sending out bait to snuff out leakers, which seems to have worked a couple of times.

Before we continue there is something important to cover, and that is how different the landscape is now from 4 years ago. In the years since the ESRB leak Nintendo has gotten really buddy-buddy with fan channels, Gamexplain is a great example. We've also seen the rise of insiders/journalists/leakers/"shills" if you will, who have connections with individuals within companies, which have gotten wind of this.

With that in mind let me present a hypothetical. What if, in addition to sending some fake info to snuff out leaks. Nintendo has also created fake info and sent out this fake info to compromised sectors?

Think of this as the "Death Star II hypothesis". For context, in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Emperor Palpatine sent out fake info about the status of the new Death Star's super weapon, (specifically that it was non-functional and that the shield generator on the moon of Endor was virtually non guarded, but in reality the weapon was operational and the Empire was fully expecting the rebels) and the rebellion took the bait, especially as Palpatine made the effort to get the information as grueling as it would have been had it been real.

So we could see a sequence of events as follows:

1. Sakurai finalizes a roster for SSBU
2. Sakurai/Nintendo want to prevent leaks, so they "leak" information of their own. In this scenario, banner leak is real so here Incineroar is fake information right from the source.
3. Information gets out just like any other leak (contacts within companies typically), except here it's information that is purposely misleading.
4. "Insiders" get this info, who are able to validate that it originated from Nintendo (because it did) and see no reason to believe otherwise.
5. Info spreads around to reporters like Vergeben and the like, who are also eventually convinced of its authenticity.

The beauty of this, if true of course, is that just like Palpatine's grand plan the false info came from an official source, so there would be no way for journalists to know about whether it was true or not, nor would there be a reason to question it.

What I don't think Nintendo was counting on though was somebody for whatever motivation they had making an Snapchat video of a printed poster (remember, this hypothesis requires us to assume the leak's legitimacy rather than falsehood, and that the person making the video did not design the poster, merely preparing it for an upcoming event, along with Grinch material for whatever that was for). Then said video got screenshoted by friends, one of whom leaked it online.

Nintendo now needs to do damage control, and gets the loose networks to double down on the legitimacy of the false info, resulting in all the confusion with the insiders. Thus the situation we have right now.

Before finishing this post, I would like to make one more observation for now about the background that I haven't really seen properly addressed. I can't remember when, but awhile back I was reading about how an image taken in motion can blur and distort an already burry and distorted image. Add in different lighting to this and you start to lose details that should be there. What I'm getting at is perhaps why things like waterfalls are missing is because of the moving camera, and that if we actually saw the mural in the flesh, we'd see the details that currently seem to be missing.
This is about what I hypothesized yesterday.

Your explanation brings up a hilarious mental image to me.
Sakurai: Oh, I'm afraid that the roster is quite a bit larger.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I like how many people say Loyld, Lyold, Lylod.

His name is actually Lloyd.

But people mispronouncing him is pretty funny so I will let that slide and not become a Grammar Nazi for now.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Would he have to be japanese though? They could merely have had a strong connection to Nintendo some way. Not that that would answers questions but is possible.
One word for ya,
PSABR...

Heihachi's name has been tarnished by it...
I wouldn't say its tarnished by it. Hurt, yeah, but he's still pretty popular as is Tekken.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Totally unrelated but where did you find that dope simon fan art in your profile pic? Really cool redesign of the character and he looks good with a mustache.
Oh taht isnt Simon, thats Vlad III Tepes of Wallachia, the basis of the character of Dracula from the original Bram Stoker Novella. He is better known as Vlad the Impaler due to him being an iron fisted tyrant but is regarded as a folk hero in Romania today.. waitasec you knew this already didnt you?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I think that we all like to think we know what a "Sakurai choice" is, but really we don't.

Either that or we know so damn well that fake leakers can emulate it pretty well.
I mean just how all the characters are reacting to the others and how they're all positioned. Stuff like the conductor and the chorus kids being scared by the butterfly

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If we're talking DLC, franchises like Tekken, Soul Calibur, & the "Tales of" Series are ripe with Candidates for Smash DLC as far as Namco is Concerned.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This is about what I hypothesized yesterday.

Your explanation brings up a hilarious mental image to me.
Sakurai: Oh, I'm afraid that the roster is quite a bit larger.
"Literally every character has an echo, sure fooled you guys"

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
then why are you so angsty about people not believing the box

that's nice

I don't know why I'm compelled to disagree with "insiders" who agree with my ideas about what's going on but maybe it's because this whole time I've been mostly debating with myself and not with any of you dudes
Not angsy. Bored.
And if everyone has an opinion, going to share mine.

But mainly bored.
And seeing all the discussions are fun. But when people taking it all to seriously, that is when the box is here.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Not gonna embedd the Tweet because it slows down Smashboards, but here it is:

https://twitter.com/mysticdistance/status/1056742519193640962?s=21

Cliff notes:

- Banner is fake
- Mystic can’t confirm or deconfirm the other characters for “obvious reasons” (Probably because he doesn’t have info on them and wants to protect his sources)
- There’s inconsistencies on the this banner compared to the real one. This is me speculating here but its safe to assume its background elements.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm really conflicted. I feel like so much of the leak is just so Sakurai, but the insiders make it seem totally fake. I really don't know how to feel, but I guess I'll stick to the grinch gang for now
I honestly wouldn't get too nervous. People were adamant on ESRB being fake and it wasn't. People also didn't know about K. Rool.

I personally disagree with that Nintendo life guy, I don't see how the leak can just be an elaborate hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom