• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So the question is:

Nani the ****.

I think that sums it up.

How the flying **** 'could' this be fake if it ends up being so.
Both Vaan and Omni have said that they could make something like this in anywhere from a couple hours to a weekend. The guy who made this leak had days, if not weeks to plan this out, including any potential hints or evidences for it (I'm going to guess some, if not many of them were found and made up by fans though).

It might also just be that artists make art because it's fun, and there doesn't need to be a reason behind it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Here's the final scenario boys:
  • Grinch leak is fake. Guy won't reveal himself, and made it for the fun of it. Everything else is either a funny coincidence or fans looking too far into things.
  • These are the final characters:
    • Incineroar
    • Ken
    • Shadow
    • Isaac
    • Geno
  • Mach Rider and Chorus Kids aren't in the game, unfortunately.
  • Sora will be revealed at the VGAs as one of, if not the first DLC characters. He might also be base roster.
  • Shortly after Sora's announcement Lloyd, Banjo & Kazooie, and Rex and Pyra will be announced as characters to make the first DLC "season" (similar to how you could buy Ryu, Roy, and Lucas or Cloud and Bayonetta together in Sm4sh).
    • Banjo might also be base roster though, but I'd give him a lower chance than Sora.
  • 108 stages is real, and Corocoro backpedalled hard on that one.
  • The Grinch movie will be mediocre at best.
This honestly wouldn't be too bad.
This seems a little bit forceful. By no means is this confirmed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Once again i've opened the floodgates. What can I say? I'm a sucker for pain.

I'll take everyone's requests into consideration, but I want to make this clear.

You will only be added if I can make it work.

I still want it to look like a competent image, after all.

With that said, don't be afraid to ask to be in the poster. It actually gives me ideas on what to draw. I can't promise everyone will be in it, unfortunately.

And don't worry about me, I want to do this. It's fun!
If you can fit me in, that'd be lovely. Luckily mine wouldn't be overly difficult to draw, I don't think. ^_^

If not, no worries.

And please no Grinchface. Here's the normal one.
smilesmall.png

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Alright this along with Ryce and Mystic's statements tonight have confirmed it for me.

Incineroar
Geno
Isaac
Ken
Shadow

Let's go!
That would also fit with Mystics statement that one of his sources only think 3 more characters are left.

It could be that didn't include echo characters

D

Deleted member

• Grinch leak is fake. Guy won't reveal himself, and made it for the fun of it. Everything else is either a funny coincidence or fans looking too far into things.
    • Incineroar
    • Ken
    • Shadow
    • Isaac
    • Geno
  • Sora will be revealed at the VGAs as one of, if not the first DLC characters. He might also be base roster.
  • Shortly after Sora's announcement Lloyd, Banjo & Kazooie, and Rex and Pyra will be announced as characters to make the first DLC "season" (similar to how you could buy Ryu, Roy, and Lucas or Cloud and Bayonetta together in Sm4sh).
    • Banjo might also be base roster though, but I'd give him a lower chance than Sora.
I rather not believe in that scenario the grinch leak will be real just like the Esbr leak

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And Ryce, the MVCI leaker also made a statement.

Source

So...seems that there is maybe too many characters on the mural?
And here we see that multiple insiders have multiple different ideas about what's going on.

Which makes me think that multiple people indeed got fake information, some got real information, others got handed bait information...

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice

I'll take everyone's requests into consideration, but I want to make this clear.

With that said, don't be afraid to ask to be in the poster. It actually gives me ideas on what to draw. I can't promise everyone will be in it, unfortunately.

ooh, pick me! :kirby:
(Thanks for doing this btw. Looking forward to the final product.)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
We absolutely could use a Fate/Stay Night character, bridge that gap between anime and gaming and get another genre (visual novels) represented.
I agree, having visual novels represented would be nice (though there are other visual novel series I'd prefer over Fate/Stay Night, but I wouldn't complain)

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice

I'm just excited to see the result of your work. Take your time :).
Ready to take a pic..jpg

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Now all the Insiders are speaking out?
Once mystic spoke out, insiders are more inclined to speak up because now all this info dropping is caught up in the chaos and being made more publicly known, making it harder for Bamco to oust leakers.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
It's called the "anime poster" where I draw me and several other users as if we were the main cast of an anime.

I've already done one before, but i've decided to do another one.
oof idk if i should be in or not since ive only recently come here because of the grinch

(and if you do decide to put me in let me know because i technically have two avatar icons (both of which are OCs)

ekc

Smash Cadet
Man we went from Verge and 4chan people know the roster to every dang Nintendo channel knowing it the whole time and I'm just wondering if prediction videos are even predictions anymore lol

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think he's still going to be around, he's just not going to waste his time reiterating and explaining his discoveries/theories, while people are actively trying to inaccurately project his opinions and argue with him.
okay.

Imagine calling hype toxic because people dont agree with a box
Yeah I don't get that either

Usually discourse is toxic when it's toxic and not because people disagree with something

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So I guess we are hovering around 5 newcomers (including echoes) remaining or are there still a bunch of wild cards

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
But 'what' is that reason?

Why would this company have a banner that's obviously very ready to be displayed without Incineroar?
Honestly my explanation would be that Incineroar wouldn't be planned to be shown until after this banner gets shown. Like this would be shown at the event around when those characters get shown off and Incineroar gets shown later in its own trailer.

Could make a bit of sense I guess since TPC again is super controlling of their property but still could just be my hopefulness for a new pokemon speaking

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So he doesn't actually know for sure about the characters, it's just his belief?

I feel better now.
Not at all? What are you on about lmao-
He's just saying he's SURE the banner is fake, but that ITS CONTENT perhaps is close to the truth

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
you're the reason I decided to do this I felt bad about leaving you out
tenor.gif

You're the best art bro a guy could ask for.
This seems a little bit forceful. By no means is this confirmed.
It's my interpretation of the final events based on what Mystic has said and what I know. It's not meant to be taken all that seriously.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And Ryce, the MVCI leaker also made a statement.

Source

So...seems that there is maybe too many characters on the mural?
I think that Ryce and Mystic are coming out as the most respectable insiders in this whole debacle.

Because they are the only ones willing to admit that the leak might be real and that their sources could have lied to them (or told them half-truths).
    • Incineroar
    • Ken
    • Shadow
    • Isaac
    • Geno
I wouldn't complain.
...Tails, Tifa and Agumon for Season 2 DLC. I will die on this hill, dagnabbit.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
That's what I've been saying from the very start, yet people still keep going in circles with the exact same points. Personally, I'm more interested in knowing why the leakers all have false info, as there's not a single doubt in my mind at this point the leak is legit.
I think I can (maybe) answer this question, and it's an idea I've seen some get close to but never go all the way with. Strap in though, because this'll be a long one, and the scope prevents a concise TL;DR.

First of all, absent official confirmation, we have been told by quite a few anonymous sources that unlike Smash 4, Nintendo/Sakurai are really cracking down on leaks this time around. Most have said over the past few months that Nintendo has been sending out bait to snuff out leakers, which seems to have worked a couple of times.

Before we continue there is something important to cover, and that is how different the landscape is now from 4 years ago. In the years since the ESRB leak Nintendo has gotten really buddy-buddy with fan channels, Gamexplain is a great example. We've also seen the rise of insiders/journalists/leakers/"shills" if you will, who have connections with individuals within companies, which have gotten wind of this.

With that in mind let me present a hypothetical. What if, in addition to sending some fake info to snuff out leaks. Nintendo has also created fake info and sent out this fake info to compromised sectors?

Think of this as the "Death Star II hypothesis". For context, in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Emperor Palpatine sent out fake info about the status of the new Death Star's super weapon, (specifically that it was non-functional and that the shield generator on the moon of Endor was virtually non guarded, but in reality the weapon was operational and the Empire was fully expecting the rebels) and the rebellion took the bait, especially as Palpatine made the effort to get the information as grueling as it would have been had it been real.

So we could see a sequence of events as follows:

1. Sakurai finalizes a roster for SSBU
2. Sakurai/Nintendo want to prevent leaks, so they "leak" information of their own. In this scenario, banner leak is real so here Incineroar is fake information right from the source.
3. Information gets out just like any other leak (contacts within companies typically), except here it's information that is purposely misleading.
4. "Insiders" get this info, who are able to validate that it originated from Nintendo (because it did) and see no reason to believe otherwise.
5. Info spreads around to reporters like Vergeben and the like, who are also eventually convinced of its authenticity.

The beauty of this, if true of course, is that just like Palpatine's grand plan the false info came from an official source, so there would be no way for journalists to know about whether it was true or not, nor would there be a reason to question it.

What I don't think Nintendo was counting on though was somebody for whatever motivation they had making an Snapchat video of a printed poster (remember, this hypothesis requires us to assume the leak's legitimacy rather than falsehood, and that the person making the video did not design the poster, merely preparing it for an upcoming event, along with Grinch material for whatever that was for). Then said video got screenshoted by friends, one of whom leaked it online.

Nintendo now needs to do damage control, and gets the loose networks to double down on the legitimacy of the false info, resulting in all the confusion with the insiders. Thus the situation we have right now.

Before finishing this post, I would like to make one more observation for now about the background that I haven't really seen properly addressed. I can't remember when, but awhile back I was reading about how an image taken in motion can blur and distort an already burry and distorted image. Add in different lighting to this and you start to lose details that should be there. What I'm getting at is perhaps why things like waterfalls are missing is because of the moving camera, and that if we actually saw the mural in the flesh, we'd see the details that currently seem to be missing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Nope, I'm factoring in Mii Fighters into there. It's still 79, and considering they count Pokemon Trainer as 1 in regards to marketing(It's weird, I know), marketing this as "79 CHARACTERS!" just doesn't roll off the tongue as cleanly as "80 CHARACTERS!"
Pokemon Trainer being marketed as 1 isn't really weird when you think about it. PT is one composite fighter made up of multiple different characters.

Though the characters that make up PT are unique, PT as a whole is just 1 fighter, as far as selectability goes. It's the same as why the Echoes are counted in that number, but not in the character number.

TL;DR, PT is three characters that make 1 fighter.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
So from what I’ve gathered: Grinch is possibly fake but Ken, Shadow, Isaac, and Geno are confirmed in and Incineroar was possibly cut? I missed a lot so if I messed something up let me know please!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not at all? What are you on about lmao-
He's just saying he's SURE the banner is fake, but that ITS CONTENT perhaps is close to the truth
I meant that he just believes it's fake, but not because of its characters (other than one or two missing from what I remember reading previously).

So from what I’ve gathered: Grinch is possibly fake but Ken, Shadow, Isaac, and Geno are confirmed in and Incineroar was possibly cut? I missed a lot so if I messed something up let me know please!
It hasn't been confirmed fake; one insider that works for KHinsider (Mystic) has sources that tell him the leak's banner is "odd" but he doesn't know what that means, and he just confirmed characters that he's sure are in (Isaac, Geno, and Incineroar, with Lloyd as DLC).

Some other insiders believe it's fake, but not because of the characters it has (well at least Steve feels this way).

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Hey.... Noipoi.
a4240a92466dd54454015caacb270282.gif

Would you add me pwease? (If you can)

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
To everyone who is considering on watching "The Grinch" movie because we are all being mind controlled into it. I suggest you to wear a Smash Bros. shirt or some sort of Smash clothing, so we can identify our brainwashed colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom