• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Kid Icarus Uprising, a game Mashpotato Samurai was working on prior to Smash, literally pushed three of those to the forefront. Beyond that, Ness and Captain Falcon were much more relevant around Smash 64 (the same with Lucas for Brawl)... Which was their debut game, by the way. Pikmin 2 was out about a year before development began for Brawl as well. And beyond that, yes, a retro character does not need to be relevant (despite Mac's 09 appearance and assist trophy upgrade), bravo for understanding the purpose of including them.

The only one where you might have a point is Wii Fit, who I would argue was not even a character until Sack of Rice made him/her/it one.
Like @Danpal65 noted, its just about the relevancy of the characters. The Miis are a dying character, but thats no reason to cut them from Smash Switch. If Sakurai wants them in, he'll put them in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a Mii oriented game in the future.

Brand is too popular just to let die.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a Mii oriented game in the future.

Brand is too popular just to let die.
I would absolutely kill for another Tomodachi Life game.

Seriously, I spend way too much time on that game. WAY too much time. Probably as much if not more than I did Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The customisable and "generic" nature of the Miis is probably the largest part of their appeal to many because it allows you to recreate your favourite characters that for one reason or other couldn't be in the game normally. Having different sizes is a big part of this too as it allows you to pit Yoda against Darth Vader or Shrek against Farquaad without it looking too weird. Giving the Miis a defined moveset inspired by a specific game or product like Wii Sports, Miitopia or Labo would completely change the whole point of the character/s and disappoint the fans who appreciate their current nature that allows them to get creative. If anything, I'd appreciate having a few more templates. Mage is one I've often seen suggested.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, even among people who hate Miis, most seem to like the idea of more games like Tomodachi Life, Wii Sports and Miitopia.

I guess it helps that those games give the Miis some unique identity of their own while also allowing fun, unique and popular IPs to continue.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
With Miis, I'd like for them to do away with the class/archetype system. Would much rather have one Mii Fighter and the ability to customize all of their moves. Wouldn't even mind if they were all unique moves to the Miis, or if they're copy/pasted from other characters. If one of your chosen specials were Fox's blaster, than you'd have a Mii blaster on your hip. If you wanted Ike's Up-Smash, than you'd have a special Mii sword on your back. It's a level of customization we're probably not going to see, but it's one I'd love to see.

On more realistic ground, I really just want the Miis to have a pure default set that can be used online and in tournaments. Like, if you select the Mii when customs are off, you play as the pure default Mii Fighter. Or you select your Mii, but it gets set to pure default for gameplay. That, and some more depth with the Mii's appearance would be nice as well.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So the GDC footage on Travis Strikes Back is kinda a let down. I know the direct implied it wasn't NMH3, but the mention of the story mode kinda got my hopes up, but nope. Its just an arcade style spinoff. Also from what I can tell, its not looking like theres any chance of Smash news at GDC either.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So the GDC footage on Travis Strikes Back is kinda a let down. I know the direct implied it wasn't NMH3, but the mention of the story mode kinda got my hopes up, but nope. Its just an arcade style spinoff. Also from what I can tell, its not looking like theres any chance of Smash news at GDC either.
Well hey, more NMH is more NMH at least.

It's safe to assume if this does well, a NMH3 isn't out of the question.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if customization is removed for every other character, I'd could see Miis being the only exception. Making the character play the way you want seems to be the big emphasis on Mii characters, and while I'd prefer something less gimmicky, I think the "design your own Smash character" idea is here to stay.

Even if customization is removed for every other character, I'd could see Miis being the only exception. Making the character play the way you want seems to be the big emphasis on Mii characters, and while I'd prefer something less gimmicky, I think the "design your own Smash character" idea is here to stay.
Agreed, they have their place and fill a role. Wouldn't mind seeing another set or two added if they return,

Also, starting off an argument against a certain character by saying "*Insert character* is f***ing stupid, just because" isn't exactly charming and somewhat makes me glad Smash fans don't decide the whole roster. Good for a laugh though.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
With Miis, I'd like for them to do away with the class/archetype system. Would much rather have one Mii Fighter and the ability to customize all of their moves. Wouldn't even mind if they were all unique moves to the Miis, or if they're copy/pasted from other characters. If one of your chosen specials were Fox's blaster, than you'd have a Mii blaster on your hip. If you wanted Ike's Up-Smash, than you'd have a special Mii sword on your back. It's a level of customization we're probably not going to see, but it's one I'd love to see.

On more realistic ground, I really just want the Miis to have a pure default set that can be used online and in tournaments. Like, if you select the Mii when customs are off, you play as the pure default Mii Fighter. Or you select your Mii, but it gets set to pure default for gameplay. That, and some more depth with the Mii's appearance would be nice as well.
This is what I assumed they'd be when the concept was first being thought up.

It's amazing to me that they would end up making 3 separate characters with 16 different specials each, and not allow them to be used in a significant part of the game. If the intention is a for fun customizable character, why put all the effort into original moves?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In my mind, customisation of moves needs to be separated from customisation of stats. Not just in Smash either. Injustice has entire movesets locked to equipment so you can't play "Nightwing" in ranked modes, only Robin. Heck we were pleasantly surprised when they let you choose which Ninja turtle to play outside of gear.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I agree, Mii's are the definition of customization after all. And the Mii costumes were pretty nice (and a good selling point). I just wish you could actually use Mii's online and maybe simplify the customization somehow.

And also, I'd kinda like the "Mii"-series itself sorted out a bit. I get why they got the Smash-symbol as their emblem, being the multi-man opponents and all that, but I guess I would just find it... "neater" if all Mii-related stuff was under one, same roof, as in one same emblem. All the Mii-related stages got their own specific symbols, for example, while a general one for all would have probably sufficed.

Last edited:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
I'm worried about the sales of the game.

There has been only 4 years between the games and i don't see much hype, meanwhile the dlc era hype was very powerful.

they really need to push more hype 3rdparties, i don't think inkling or spring man will do much.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

There has been only 4 years between the games and i don't see much hype, meanwhile the dlc era hype was very powerful.

they really need to push more hype 3rdparties, i don't think inkling or spring man will do much.
You can't be serious. The reveal of the game and the Inklings overshadowed everything that day. Not only that, but this game is coming out on a much more successful console. There's literally nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
You can't be serious. The reveal of the game and the Inklings overshadowed everything that day. Not only that, but this game is coming out on a much more successful console. There's literally nothing to worry about.
i hope so, smash is my favourite series

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
What I'd do with Miis to fix their biggest issue:

- Make weight/height stats dependent on class rather than your Miis settings. Your Miis weight is now cosmetic, height removed to fit hitboxes.
or
- Make it so turning off custom moves sets your Mii to the default height/weight. (This only works if custom moves are returning.)

I prefer the former simply because it requires Nintendo to manually balance their data rather than just kind of leave them as is like they did with 4.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The Nintendo Switch has sold more units in the US over one year than any other home console. On top of that, Smash is a HUGE hype-bringing game. If Nintendo can tie Smash in with MP4, FE16, and (possibly) Pokemon Switch at this year's E3, then I have no doubt that the interest in both the Switch and Smash will last over the rest of 2018.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Using the MP4 abbreviation can potentially cause some confusion, since some people may mistake it for Mario Party 4, instead of Metroid Prime 4.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Using the MP4 abbreviation can potentially cause some confusion, since some people may mistake it for Mario Party 4, instead of Metroid Prime 4.
Reminds me of when Miiverse banned the use of PM to talk about Project M, which made discussion of Paper Mario very difficult.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Reminds me of when Miiverse banned the use of PM to talk about Project M, which made discussion of Paper Mario very difficult.
I never did receive any kind of ban during Miiverse's lifespan, but I have read about that incident at the Smash Wiki website. Anyway, in those types of scenarios, it's usually better if you don't use abbreviations, because those who say MP4 can unintentionally make others be confused about if you're referring to Mario Party 4 or Metroid Prime 4. Of course, the former game is from the GameCube era.

Chron

Smash Journeyman

Third Party characters are always exciting, but most people are more excited for the new Nintendo characters, and possible modes.
(I'm hyped to hopefully get a new game engine most of all.)

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
One thing that has me excited for this game coming out so soon is the fact that there aren’t as many new characters that need to be shilled. barring :4littlemac:and:4duckhunt:, all the Nintendo newcomers in Smash4 were newer characters that seemed added to be hyped up for recency purposes. This time, the only new “big names” that I could see being added are Inklings (already covered), an ARMS character (all but confirmed, I feel) , and a XC2 rep.

I’m hoping that leaves room for more iconic characters that did well on the Ballot to be included, depending on how many newcomers we actually get this time around.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I learned that Funimation wanted Son Goku to be in the new Super Smash Bros. I would not want a character that is not from a video game company. Maybe Captain N and Nester associated with Nintendo, but not others. But if this is done with Son Goku, what character would it be? Fourth party character? I ask this why Third Party character are considered for example the Mega Man that is a character of video game company Capcom, but it is not only made for Nintendo, while Son Goku is not from any video game company.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes you have to keep your expectations on the low side. Excluding the Mii fighters, having 60 fighters total would be fair enough, but if cuts have to be made during the process, then some of the clone characters may have the greatest risk of getting the boot.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
For some reason, I feel like if Paper Mario was brought into the game (which would be awesome), I have a feeling that they actually would use way more elements from Sticker Star and Color Splash than the first two, just because they're the most recent. Sad, but unfortunately likely.
Yeah, I have the same feeling. Which would be sad to see, because Paper Mario has much more to offer.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'd rather see newcomers be unlockable to be one last surprise.

Also, I do enjoy unlocking characters, especially in Smash. That being said, it mostly depends on whether or not who is unlockable stays secret and how characters are unlocked. Getting every character in Smash 4 was easy and the surprises we could have had were spoiled by the ESRB leak.
Ah, yes the ESRB leak. I always kind of wondered how excited I would have been for Shulk if I hadn't spoiled myself on it before hand with the ESRB leak since it was mostly confirmation at that point.

They also said she ranked 5th on the US ballot, among cut characters (like Wolf or Snake). So the wording implies she either beat them or was in the top 5 with them. I honestly don't see her beating out Wolf since he got a lot of love around the ballot. Im thinking realizable was used broadly as a way of saying no veterans as fans might feel ripped off getting a character they've already gotten before.

Maybe. I mean plenty of characters with vocal fanbases have gotten into Smash. My concern with Bayonetta is that she did not appear to have a vocal fanbase during the ballot. I mean on Smashboards K Rool was popular, Reddit was Shovel Knight, Neogaf was Wonder Red, Tumblr was Chrom, Youtube (and Etikas fanbase) was Shovel Knight, I forget /v/ but theirs wasn't Bayonetta. In fact, I don't think any of them had Bayo near the top. Even PushDustIns research from Japanese websites did not imply she had a large volume of supporters.

Sure again echochambers, but if she was really as popular as Nintendo tried to sell us with broad words, how she didn't have her own echochamber?
Like most fandom boards Smashboards only makes up a very small percentage of the people who participated in that ballot.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Fossil Fighter was proposed as a newcomer. I'd love it if a Fossil Fighters character got in, with the first game being one of my favorite games. However, instead of the game's protagonist, I'd rather have King Dynal from the first two games. In fact, he's my fourth most wanted character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ah, yes the ESRB leak. I always kind of wondered how excited I would have been for Shulk if I hadn't spoiled myself on it before hand with the ESRB leak since it was mostly confirmation at that point.

Like most fandom boards Smashboards only makes up a very small percentage of the people who participated in that ballot.
Yeah, I don't think Smashboards has even a million people signed up and even the worst selling Smash game shifted over 5 million units.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I learned that Funimation wanted Son Goku to be in the new Super Smash Bros. I would not want a character that is not from a video game company. Maybe Captain N and Nester associated with Nintendo, but not others. But if this is done with Son Goku, what character would it be? Fourth party character? I ask this why Third Party character are considered for example the Mega Man that is a character of video game company Capcom, but it is not only made for Nintendo, while Son Goku is not from any video game company.
It won't happen so don't worry, Goku's really ****ing popular to the point the Mexican government hosted an event for the latest Dragon Ball Super episode but Sakurai's been clear on not wanting non video game characters
Yes because Mario Party 4 is such a cult classic
*among realizable characters
If you think Bayonetta performed less good than a character you wanted because you're dumb enough to take that too seriously then that character isn't going to happen by that logic so give up

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My Mii solution
• Default weight
• Default height
• Default "A" moveset; mostly based on Brawler
• Custom specials linked to legs, body, arms and head/miscellenous
• Custom specials based on characters such as Pokemon Trainer & Labo Cardboard Mech
• Mix and match custom specials
• Bonus for a character set of specials: such as stat bonuses, a different Smash move, a different grab

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sometimes you have to keep your expectations on the low side. Excluding the Mii fighters, having 60 fighters total would be fair enough, but if cuts have to be made during the process, then some of the clone characters may have the greatest risk of getting the boot.
Honestly, I've never understood this logic. If cuts are made due to time constraints, why would the clones, the characters who require the least effort, be the ones to go?

Obviously, we had clones cut in the transition from Melee to Brawl, but circumstances were a bit different then. Sakurai was actively differentiating every clone he brought back from their base (Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco) and likely opted to cut Roy and Dr. Mario because he didn't have time to do the same for them. (Or, in Dr. Mario's case, because it might have been awkward to have both Marios for Subspace.)

In the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, the characters that were cut due to time constraints were semi-clones (Lucas initially, Wolf) and Pokemon Trainer's less popular two Pokemon. The semi-clones were, frankly, only cut because people valued fully unique movesets more than the 75% unique semi-clone movesets.

Semi-clones being cut actually saved time and resources because they were mostly unique. In the transition from Melee to Brawl, them being cut saved time and resources because Sakurai wanted to de-clone them as much as possible and didn't have time.

This time around, there's not really a reason to de-clone the clones we have. Lucina is Marth without the tip, which doesn't take much effort and is still unique. Dark Pit is almost entirely the same as Pit, but exists because Sakurai wanted a different Final Smash; he may not change at all outside of that. Dr. Mario is just a Melee throwback, and has no real reason to be further decloned than he already is.

Cutting any of those clones saves such a small amount of development time that it's not really worth it. You could save more time by cutting a unique character (say, the Mii Gunner while keeping the other Miis) and come out with more characters than you would cutting all three clones.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
This game is going to sell well. Not sure how many of you guys are on Ifunny, but Smash Switch memes trended on the app for a week straight. On top of that, Best Buy and Gamestop are accepting Pre-orders now.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Smash Bros. literally prints money.

D

Deleted member

I think Miis are guaranteed next game, so I am going to talk about them.
I hope Miis are added, because I want to make Anime characters in the Miis.... :p
~Make all of them slightly more mobile and make their moves just... "better".~
Give Miis more costumes than ever before, considering the Switch is better than the Wii U.
I love the Miis. :)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Remember folks.

The character is shilled if they had a recent game and I don't particularly care about them.

Was the character popular, unique and a good fit in their own right?

Doesn't matter. Still a shilled character. And that's why they're bad and full of donkey doo doo.

If you can't tell, I despise the word "shill." It's a pointless term at this point that's only used to discredit things without needing to provide meaningful explanations..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom