• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Let's talk character trailers. Assuming the banner and incineroar are real, who would you think is in each character trailer for the newcomers?

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
He's a home grown user on these boards.
Says he's got an insider he trusts giving him info.
Seems like a guy that wouldnt really lie about that, but like... people lie, and I need evidence. Lol.
He doesnt have an insider. He knows a guy, who claims to know an insider. Im not sure why people are paying attention to him to be honest. Not that Papa Geno's isnt a trustworthy guy, but the actual alleged "source " is two people removed from him.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Who is Papageno? Why his statment is important? I'm very curious now
Dude who started making Smash Hype Youtube videos for fun and got good at it fast. He picked up some fans, myself included, and he has reason to believe a source that approached him has weight at Microsoft and is confirming Banjo. He's very sure of this source's credibility. Papagenos is basically the new top of the pack smash hype breakdown Youtube channel since the biggest voices for some reason decided to pretend the Grinch leak doesn't exist and in some cases actively tried to discredit it with spurious evidence. Something fishy is going on with the Youtube vanguard and I'm looking forward to hearing what Papagenos has unearthed about it.

I'm starting to wonder if GameExplain's silence is tantamount to the days when Nintendo issued take down notices on real leaks, thus tacitly confirming them. I wonder if GameExplain's relationship with the Big N would be at risk if they dive too deep into the leak, and that would therefore potentially be more support for it.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Is it possible the leaked banner isn't the final version of said banner?
Yes but we have:
-Insiders who says It's Missing Characters
-Insiders who says some Characters are wrong

But
-the leak can be true alongside Incineroar and Missing Characters
-Insiders can be wrong and this is the final roster

Honestly if it's a not finished banner...

How many ****ing newcomers we're getting.

Shroob

Sup?
Wait.

Wait, it just dawned on me.

There's a VERY obvious reason as to why Incineroar wouldn't be on the Grinch banner leak's banner.

That's because that's being used to advertise the game.

Incineroar in this case would be DLC.

That's false advertising to show Incineroar along with the other base-game characters when he's not in there.

The Grinch banner =/= the website's banner.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I highly doubt papagenos would lie about believing he has a source. He seems like one of the nicest and most genuine people in this community. His source, on the other hand, is not 100% trustworthy. I surely hope he's right though!

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Heres mine for character trailers
Mach Rider: Captain Falcon
Chorus Kids: Jigglypuff
Isaac: Ike, Link
Geno: Mario, Cloud
Banjo: Donkey Kong

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Hope I’m not voicing out the obvious here. But I had always figured incineroar was DLC. Our first DLC character. Maybe some of these insiders saw a list of the character roster or maybe even they saw the banner of all the characters including incineroar. But incineroar was probably cut from the banner because..idk maybe sakurai and the development team are working on him. I’m still not sure why he would be DLC I thought the roster was finalized in a few years ago or am I wrong?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's talk character trailers. Assuming the banner and incineroar are real, who would you think is in each character trailer for the newcomers?
I don't know but Duck Hunt NEEDS to be in Banjo-Kazooie's trailer.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Also back again the the Montreal demo. Did we ever get any confirmation that it was just the E3 build? Wtf went on with that?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
With the Spawn Wave guy admitting he'd find it more believable if it had Incineroar, PapaGenos' source, and that Mystic guy on Twitter, this is all gonna get interesting.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
He doesnt have an insider. He knows a guy, who claims to know an insider. Im not sure why people are paying attention to him to be honest. Not that Papa Geno's isnt a trustworthy guy, but the actual alleged "source " is two people removed from him.
Because he says if any of us knew who his "source" was, we'd trust them as well. Technically it could be like Phil Spencer's brother.

Shroob

Sup?
That's the biggest thing people are overlooking here.

Of course Incineroar wouldn't be on the Grinch leak's banner if he was DLC, that's being used in like, stores and **** to advertise the game, when he's not in the game and is DLC.

The Grinch banner doesn't have to have him on it, while the website's banner can, no issue.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If it's real, I feel it may be for early marketing during November before a couple of final reveals, maybe DLC.

The diagrams are for props in the leak that are all likely to be found in a supermarket.
Indeed, which makes me think if true, it's not the final banner. However, if we add Incineroar, and then add Spawn Wave's character he seems to think is in the base--it does get a lot more crowded--either the banner is fake, it's real but some are DLC, or the missing characters are DLC. It's really hard to say.

As for Papa Geno's--I like him and I hope he's right. However, he is really banking on the banner being true and it's fairly easy to give in to confirmation bias. It's why despite thinking it's true, and hoping it's true, I have to also run under the assumption it could be fake and figure things out from there as well. I hope he's right, and he'll be legendary if he is. We'll have to wait and see.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I'm sticking with my gut feeling and believing in PapaGenos, guy doesn't seem like he'd just be doing this for attention

He just seems to be a genuine dude who happens to have received a source he truly believes in

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
In regards to the Blog Theory, has anyone considered the fact that it can still keep going for a bit after the game releases?

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
A game is typically finished fully a month or so before the game launches. This gives the company time to make all the discs, game boxes, and all the other extra assets that comes with the game and have it all ready for launch. So the game that we will receive in december is probably already set in stone now or will be very soon. There may not have been enough time to finish Incineroar and have him ready for launch so they cut him out and will add him in later/on launch dlc.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yes but we have:

But

I definitely agree with the last point, which is why I'm skeptical. However, I have not heard one insider who says a character is wrong--that would give them some validity beyond "a character is missing." All I've heard is some insiders speculate a character couldn't be there, but I haven't heard anyone say their sources say a character's in the banner, but not in the game (meaning fake).

EDIT:
From what I think he's saying, that's him saying he's not convinced of the banner's authenticity. Though, better than him believing initially that it's simply fake.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
How long has incinaroar been known for...
Is Nintendo holding back content so we can pay for it as DLC now?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Wait.

Wait, it just dawned on me.

There's a VERY obvious reason as to why Incineroar wouldn't be on the Grinch banner leak's banner.

That's because that's being used to advertise the game.

Incineroar in this case would be DLC.

That's false advertising to show Incineroar along with the other base-game characters when he's not in there.

The Grinch banner =/= the website's banner.
Yeah I could see this as being true, but personally I think they'll keep expanding the banner as they add more DLC characters just to make the roster seem even more impressive.

I don't think it's legally false advertising but maybe they're expecting backlash if they were to include him in advertisement banners.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Ken & Shadow- None since they’re Echoes.

Geno- :ultmario: (with a neck cast assuming he survived Ridley.:troll:) :ultpeach: and :ultbowser:walking through a forest or alternatively the Original 8 as dolls with Geno coming to life as a callback to the 64 intro.

Issac- :ultmarth::ultlink::ultshulk::ultcloud::ultpit: for the “anime boy” relation or :ultness::ultlucas::ultmewtwo:or :ultzelda: for the psychic relation.

Banjo- :ultdiddy: for the Rare reunion or :ultmario::ultsonic::ultwario: for the gold collecting theme or :ultduckhunt: for similarities.

Chorus Kids-:ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby::ultdk::ultsamus: for the base Smash cast used a silly gag singing a choir or :ultjigglypuff: for singing competition.

Mach Rider- :ultfalcon:, no questions asked. Or possibly :ultwario: for comic relief since he rides a bike as well.

Incinaroar-:ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo: or :ultlucario: duh, or possibly:ultbowser::ultlittlemac::ultdk::ultkrool: for heavyweight/boxing ring.

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I can see them having two banners, one without DLC that promotes the game when it first comes out, and one that adds DLC characters to promote DLC and a possible season pass

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I hate to sound like a broken record, but if Papa's video is "He's day 1/very early DLC", then no **** he's not going to be on a banner that's being displayed in stores.

The banner from the Grinch leak is meant for stores to be put up, and it's showing you who's in the game you're purchasing right then and there.

If any character who was DLC was on that banner, that would be false advertising.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Yes but we have:

But

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if what papagenos is suggesting actually pans out. Trust me, over in tabletop land there's a lot of uncertainty about leaks and previews. Even people in the know are often mixing in well-intentioned speculation with the info they got. There's been plenty of times where things have come completely out of the blue and blindsided everyone, yet the info is still consistent with the bits and pieces we've heard.

Truth is, these are huge projects with tons of people in charge of all these different departments. Graphics, sound, gameplay, marketing, finance, tons of potential sources each knowing only what they need to know to get their job done plus or minus a few tidbits they hear around the office. These insiders are probably not going to have the whole story no matter trustworthy their source is due to the nature of videogame development. It's completely within the realm of possibility that Incineroar being DLC is something that either got lost in the chain of communication or as misinterpreted.

I don't think these have to be contradictory, at least from all that we've been made privvy to.

But I'm just a guy on some internet forums without any behind the scenes knowledge so

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
YIKES. "Steve" from Nintendo Life over on ResetERA just said PapaGenos is wrong about everything.

The stakes continue to increase.

(Can't link the post because I got banned on resetera)

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I could see this as being true, but personally I think they'll keep expanding the banner as they add more DLC characters just to make the roster seem even more impressive.

I don't think it's legally false advertising but maybe they're expecting backlash if they were to include him in advertisement banners.
I would argue it is false advertising, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom