• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Since people don't seem to be receptive on twitter, I just wanted to leave this here. It's purpose is to demonstrate that the background has not changed at all throughout these versions of the banner. Not asserting that it means anything. Just figured it's good to have a direct comparison where the alignment is completed fixed. Do with it what you will. =P

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/455060269526417408/505585571909861386/3-version-compare.gif

Hey man. Saw people were accusing you of trying to "reclaim your glory" and **** like that; keep doing what you're doing buddy, hang in there.
Thanks for the help.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I know Omni already released his version, but I don't know if it had every version of the banner or not.

Here's a psd with all 7 official versions of the banner (E3 with no Daisy Ridley, E3 with Daisy Ridley, E3 Looping, 8.8, 8.8 Looping, Isabelle, Isabelle Looping), plus the empty E3 banner and the leaked banner perspective corrected and properly aligned.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gee, I'm so glad nothing interesting happened over the past week and that this thread had time to calm down and discuss non-leak related things.

D

Deleted member

This add more weight to the fake theory. it's another part where everything that have been seen (The 2 lights reflections) are there but the 3rd one on the second rock behind dedede is missing because he didn't had all the information for that part behind Dedede...

Edit: The image:
YIKES, Wario really going for Dedede's 'nads.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You know what's funny? The best argument against the "Grinch Leak" so far is @Thinkaman's argument. In that it's just too good to be true.

Like, damn I am so ready to have this confirmed or destroyed. If it really is too good to be true I wanna know. If it is indeed real... I'mma lose my **** immediately.
I can't take the "too good to be true" argument seriously when this is a game that has everyone back, Ridley and King K Rool. "Too many characters to be revealed in one month"--yeah, that's a good argument. But had you described Ultimate to someone before E3, they would have said that you're delusional and best to expect a port with some upgrades.

Chrono.

You know what's funny? The best argument against the "Grinch Leak" so far is @Thinkaman's argument. In that it's just too good to be true.

Like, damn I am so ready to have this confirmed or destroyed. If it really is too good to be true I wanna know. If it is indeed real... I'mma lose my **** immediately.
That's pretty much the same conclusion SG reached in that stream lol.

GameXplain too I think.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since people don't seem to be receptive on twitter, I just wanted to leave this here. Its purpose is to demonstrate that the background has not changed at all throughout these versions of the banner. Not asserting that it means anything. Just figured it's good to have a direct comparison where the alignment is completed fixed. Do with it what you will. =P

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/455060269526417408/505585571909861386/3-version-compare.gif

What do you think about this post?

https://smashboards.com/threads/get...-smash-ultimate.446390/page-670#post-22603486

Personally I don't really know if it makes much sense but it sounds good; a sky tube display?

unless I found the wrong thing on Google, that'd seem odd for game marketing but eh

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

To be honest, Smash Ultimate is already too good to be true.

If you had told someone in 2016 that the next Smash game was going to have :ulticeclimbers::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle: all these characters, and no cuts from Smash 4, along with 309+ stages, 900+ songs and a bevy of modes and goddamn Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy. They'd have called you either delusional or dangerously optimistic.

What's a few more fan-wanted characters to an already insane roster, eh? :laugh:

Last edited:

Chrono.

Last edited:

Fenn

Smash Cadet
In the original Snapchat image the mural isnt a mural, it looks more like blueprints for a paper bracelet. I think this is what the circular looking image is in the screen capture from the video. Also the Grinch render isn't just a render, near the bottom you can see a diagram of what looks to be the Grinch (which matches the second half of the render at the top left, the same render of the Grinch, but full not just the half coming out of the present) being pulled out of a present; it reminds me of McDonald's Happy Meal toy. (On the Happy Meal tangent, November's Happy Meal toys by McDonald's followers are assumed to be toys from Pokemon let's go Pikachu and Wreck It Ralph: Ralph breaks the internet. Thus the pairing of the Grinch and smash ultimate final roster would make sense to be together, but that's just a personal Theory I have nothing backing this up) these are just some things I noticed about the snapchat images that I've seen literally no one talked about.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Since people don't seem to be receptive on twitter, I just wanted to leave this here. Its purpose is to demonstrate that the background has not changed at all throughout these versions of the banner. Not asserting that it means anything. Just figured it's good to have a direct comparison where the alignment is completely fixed. Do with it what you will. =P

Thanks for the help! Your video was the first that made examining the background make sense, especially since you corrected it to make it as close to one-to-one as possible. Your arguments were compelling, though not conclusive, as you said. Wanted to compare it myself, but don't have Photoshop so can't use the psd file myself. Any way to get a picture of the perspective-corrected version to help make comparisons in other photo editing tools?

Noipoi

Howdy!
My shoulders hurt from drawing for so long.
I'm not stopping though. I've got 15 users in the picture, I think i'll stop at 20. It's getting a little crowded.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Theres alot going against the leak, but I still really don't want to accept it. After seeing this leak and getting so hyped about what could be, I'm just not ready to go back to accepting that Incineroar and Ken might be the last characters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Theres alot going against the leak, but I still really don't want to accept it. After seeing this leak and getting so hyped about what could be, I'm just not ready to go back to accepting that Incineroar and Ken might be the last characters.
As a #TeamFake "a lot" really comes down to the Battlefield mural if it makes you feel better
Only the little Battlefield stuff still stands up high. Which could totally bring the leak down; but it's not what I'd say is a lot.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's a good argument. But had you described Ultimate to someone before E3, they would have said that you're delusional and best to expect a port with some upgrades.
Thing is, if this were to get leaked post the initial Ridley or K.Rool reveal, I would have an easier time believing it.

But this is after they showed us Isabelle by herself and followed it up with saying they'd slow down reveals, while simultaneously having information coming from stuff like the blog grind to an absolute halt. We're talking daily blog posts here, and they decided to hold off on showing 8 (if I remember correctly) newcomers, all of which would be hype inducing to some capacity.

My question would then be why. Why would nintendo even do the marketing that way if they were holding so much of it off for the final month? Why would they slow down on reveals if they really don't have to? Why would they reveal Isabelle by herself (notably the only character to revealed by herself) if they really didn't have to?

It's not impossible for Nintendo decide to end on a splurge, a massive splurge, much larger than Everyone Is Here and Castle-Rool. But it's simply unlikely, and if true, kinda fuggin stupid.

I mean, maybe, if it hadn't be spoiled for me, for instance, and I watched such a show live, expecting only 2 characters to revealed, and getting about 8, I'd probably **** myself, so maybe Nintendo are geniuses after all. The only problem is they clearly didn't take into account leaks.

But Occam's Razor suggests to me this is just a fake.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Since people don't seem to be receptive on twitter, I just wanted to leave this here. Its purpose is to demonstrate that the background has not changed at all throughout these versions of the banner. Not asserting that it means anything. Just figured it's good to have a direct comparison where the alignment is completely fixed. Do with it what you will. =P

Even if the background hasn't changed, it's still ridiculously cool to see the slight shifts across the art, watching how the characters move to make room for more.

Also, hi Omni!

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I'll be sincere. I'd believe this leak.

I'd really really really believe this leak, if the freaking artwork wasn't so ****ing out of focus and almost unrecognizable. That kills it for me completely. The background inconsistencies just add more to it.

That's why when people compare this to the ESRB leak it gets me kinda irritated. ESRB leak (first batch) was clear as ****. This one's a mess. If it were not for all this detail, I'd be down for 100% fake without a doubt. But even I gotta admit that there's a lot going on here. I don't discard the leaker being very knowledgeable (or enlisting help from others) about these series though.
Again it being blurry isn’t really a counter argument if the picture was a screencap from a Snapchat video (presumably in motion). The background thing is a valid and intriguing point against it though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thing is, if this were to get leaked post the initial Ridley or K.Rool reveal, I would have an easier time believing it.

But this is after they showed us Isabelle by herself and followed it up with saying they'd slow down reveals, while simultaneously having information coming from stuff like the blog grind to an absolute halt. We're talking daily blog posts here, and they decided to hold off on showing 8 (if I remember correctly) newcomers, all of which would be hype inducing to some capacity.

My question would then be why. Why would nintendo even do the marketing that way if they were holding so much of it off for the final month? Why would they slow down on reveals if they really don't have to? Why would they reveal Isabelle by herself (notably the only character to revealed by herself) if they really didn't have to?

It's not impossible for Nintendo decide to end on a splurge, a massive splurge, much larger than Everyone Is Here and Castle-Rool. But it's simply unlikely, and if true, kinda fuggin stupid.

I mean, maybe, if it hadn't be spoiled for me, for instance, and I watched such a show live, expecting only 2 characters to revealed, and getting about 8, I'd probably **** myself, so maybe Nintendo are geniuses after all. The only problem is they clearly didn't take into account leaks.

But Occam's Razor suggests to me this is just a fake.l
So this reminds me of a post someone made suggesting maybe the veterans could've been revealed one by one and not at E3 and we would've slowly realized everyone is here.
What sounds more exciting and marketable to you. "Everyone's here!...after a month of us piecing it together"
or
"EVERYONE IS HERE. AND YOU SAW THEM ALL AT E3. IN ACTION. EVERY SINGLE ONE AT ONCE."

Consider this, but as the last blowout for reveals.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
What do you think about this post?

https://smashboards.com/threads/get...-smash-ultimate.446390/page-670#post-22603486

Personally I don't really know if it makes much sense but it sounds good; a sky tube display?

unless I found the wrong thing on Google, that'd seem odd for game marketing but eh
The changed elements are mostly covered up by the characters even in the leaked banner. They wouldn't clash with the characters because anything behind them doesn't exist. And his point about the light affecting the color might have merit if anybody was arguing about the color differences, but I haven't seen anybody making that point. In fact, I made it pretty clear up front I wasn't comparing color for any number of reasons.

LetterO

Smash Lord
As a #TeamFake "a lot" really comes down to the Battlefield mural if it makes you feel better
Only the little Battlefield stuff still stands up high. Which could totally bring the leak down; but it's not what I'd say is a lot.
The Battlefield stuff could go down to just the blurriness of the Snapchat photo or Nintendo changing it, but I'm still at a 60/40 at this being real now despite being so confident earlier. I just really hope it's real so I don't have to go back to accepting just 2 more characters. A side of me also believes in this leak because I really doubt Sakurai would leave Rhythm Heaven in the dust after almost showing up in Smash 4, as well as the 3 big fan favorites of Isaac, Geno, and Banjo.

Fenn

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why he would mess up the background for Battlefield in an empty version. Aren't the stages on the site, or is it an exclusive version?

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Real or fake, I'm scared to see what the pre-release of Smash 6 looks like after this. You KNOW everyone is going to try to copy this.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The Battlefield stuff could go down to just the blurriness of the Snapchat photo or Nintendo changing it, but I'm still at a 60/40 at this being real now despite being so confident earlier. I just really hope it's real so I don't have to go back to accepting just 2 more characters. A side of me also believes in this leak because I really doubt Sakurai would leave Rhythm Heaven in the dust after almost showing up in Smash 4, as well as the 3 big fan favorites of Isaac, Geno, and Banjo.
Nah it's more than blurriness at this point.

Believe me. I want it to be real. Badly. Look at my icon. But I refuse to get my heart broken.

ekc

Smash Cadet
Anyone think somehow someway the "leak" is fake, but the characters are right? Really the only thing keeping these characters somewhat adrift for me is how PapaGeno is essentially riding on this new source of his.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
There is more to life my main monkey.
Whatever happens i'm sure you'll continue to live a bodacious life and smash will be just as slick.
Much love brudda and don't let the bogusness of the leak get to ya.
Ape.png

MAHINA PEEEA

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Again it being blurry isn’t really a counter argument if the picture was a screencap from a Snapchat video (presumably in motion). The background thing is a valid and intriguing point against it though.
That wasn't really a counter argument, just my personal feelings on the matter!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

But Occam's Razor suggests to me this is just a fake.l
Which is why I said "too many characters in one month" is the good argument, not the "too good to be true" one. Also, I think it's better to interpret that as pacing, rather than number of characters as he used the phrase "slowing down". For all we know, that meant taking a break for a month (which they did) to have a blow out in the next month with multiple reveals. And even if this leak were true, 10 unique newcomers is less than we've come to expect, so it makes sense with his earlier statements. It's all based on interpretation.

To me Occam's Razor is about the assumptions, rather than the consequences of a hypothesis. Meaning, I feel like it's much simpler to assume that "the Snapchat was an accident not an intentional leak, and the nitpicks are just nitpicks" rather than "someone impersonated someone to concoct this elaborate scenario with careful precision (except when not)". But that's the subjective nature, as it's based on what we assume is simpler.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why he would mess up the background for Battlefield in an empty version. Aren't the stages on the site, or is it an exclusive version?
It's not a replica from the stage, it's a custom art done by Nintendo to fit every character. Some elements of the background are the same but not everything.

And the art we use to compare is an art that was only visible in E3 8hours videos on the big screen for like 1/4 of a second before they makes all the characters appeared so we suspect the leaker didn't knew about the empty art being available on youtube.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If this leak turns out to be fake, I am concerned about how people will react after having had their hopes and dreams brought up to such heights. Especially if its not debunked by us but by official reveal.
How will I react?

"Oh. The Grinch leak was fake after all? Oh well."

I'm not joking, I am 100% mentally prepared for it to be fake.

How did I react at the end of Smash 4's development?

"Oh, Isaac's not in after all? Oh well."

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'd like to take a moment to say how much I love how Jigglypuff is depicted on the banner. And how terrified Wario is of her thousand yard stare and empty smile

Edit: Ivysaur is cute too, despite her best attempts to be menacing

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It's a hand drawn version, a bit different from the 3D model yes.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
There are innumerable differences between the mural background and the actual in-game Battlefield stage. They really only resemble each other in passing.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Anyone think somehow someway the "leak" is fake, but the characters are right? Really the only thing keeping these characters somewhat adrift for me is how PapaGeno is essentially riding on this new source of his.
I definitely think something from Rhythm Heaven HAS to be in. I don't think Sakurai is going to leave Rhythm Heaven in the dust. I also don't think he'd leave Isaac, Banjo, and Geno in the dust.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom