• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The roll differences are just aesthetic. It being faster than Samus' roll was just a placebo.

As far as I know, Dark Samus is in the same boat as Daisy and Richter as far as having no non-aesthetic differences so far.
:ultdaisy:'s side special might knock opponents in a different direction but don't quote me on that.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Playing a little Puyo Pop Fever just 'cause (the last Puyo Puyo game localised until Puyo Puyo Tetris).

According to that game "Arle" is pronounced "Arlie".

Went and checked the Puyo Nexus (basically, the Puyo Puyo wiki), which has "Arle" name written in Japanese ("Aruru"). Which is how I thought it was pronounced (with the emphasis on the "Ar" and not the "Le").
Luyten b, actually.
Looked up Luyten B, which is "orbiting within the habitable zone of the nearby red dwarf Luyten's Star".

I wanted to look up other Habitable Zone planets to make a reply joke, but in the process found out that the full term is "Circumstellar Habitable Zone".

Which sounds like the lamest Sonic level.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The roll differences are just aesthetic. It being faster than Samus' roll was just a placebo.

As far as I know, Dark Samus is in the same boat as Daisy and Richter as far as having no non-aesthetic differences so far.
That's so weird though, I just looked back at it and he touted both as being "slightly different than their counterparts", and that's much more distinct with Chrom. Even with Richter, he said the only real difference was their asthetics. Guess they just had to be lumped together both being Echoes, I dunno.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:ultdaisy:'s side special might knock opponents in a different direction but don't quote me on that.
We haven't seen the Peach Bomber yet though, so it's entirely possible Peach has the same one. As of now it's still too early to tell whether or not it was a universal change or an echo variation.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Catching up on the past pages was like watching the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith.
Actually, Crunchii dropped that XB2 hint, right?

Isn't it a bit strange that we'd have XB2 music in Smash, but no stage, or Rex?

I don't own a Switch so I'm not priivy to the 'lore' of XB2, but I guess it could be on Gaur Plain.... still would be weird for Rex to not get a stage if he'd be DLC though...
Samus Returns music is in the game as well, music ain't hard to implement. Plus Xenoblade 2's soundtrack is godlike so if anything good on them for getting that ball rolling early.
So, i´m kinda new here, was a lurker before, so i´d like to ask, whats everyone´s favourite character?
points to the woman in my avatar

D

Deleted member

I don't know much about this Crunchii but it sounds awfully similar to Chunky.

i.e. The OG Kong that deserves to be DK's Echo. Not that poser Funky. :smirk:
Funky predates Chunky and is still alive. That being said, Funky needs to be based off of Wario, so his side special can be the Flame Runner.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Catching up on the past pages was like watching the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith.

Samus Returns music is in the game as well, music ain't hard to implement. Plus Xenoblade 2's soundtrack is godlike so if anything good on them for getting that ball rolling early.

points to the woman in my avatar
Terrible feeling in your stomach, eye-opening, trying to not give in to false hope, confusion why politics entered into this. :grin:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also I'm just gonna say that Crunchii shot themselves in the foot with this one. The XC2 code was somewhat believable because they could just slide music in unedited easily enough, but going to Geno immediately is such obvious bait. The only real explanation is the song being in but no Geno outside of the Mii costume but I don't see that either. Just someone trying to stir up some talk, which I appreciate. The codes were fun.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funky predates Chunky and is still alive. That being said, Funky needs to be based off of Wario, so his side special can be the Flame Runner.
Yeah but Chunky is objectively the better Kong my guy.

Further proof of this is in the ending of DK64 where Chunky is the one to beat K. Rool and then Funky steals all his glory in the end. The man is a fraud and a hack. :reverse:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, since I'm out of ideas on what to say, I figured I'd post my top 5 games from my favorite gaming series:
Smash:
#1. Ultimate (I know it's not out yet but damn it's awesome already)
#2. Smash 4 for 3DS
#3. Brawl
#4. Smash 4 for Wii U
#5. Melee

Legend of Zelda:
#1. Breath of The Wild
#2. Majora's Mask
#3. A Link Between Worlds
#4. Ocarina of Time/A Link To The Past
#5. Skyward Sword

Metroid:
#1. Prime
#2. Super Metroid
#3. Samus Returns
#4. Fusion
#5. Prime 2

Yakuza:
#1. 0
#2. Kiwami 2
#3. 4
#4. 5
#5. 3

Shin Megami Tensei:
#1. IV
#2. Nocturne
#3. Digital Devil Sagas 1&2
#4. Strange Journey
#5. II

Metal Gear Solid:
#1. MGS 2
#2. MGS 1/MGS3
#3. MGS 4
#4. MGS 5
#5. Peace Walker

Castlevania:
#1. Aria of Sorrow
#2. Super Castlevania IV
#3. Symphony of The Night
#4. Portait of Ruin
#5. Order of Ecclisia

Resident Evil:
#1. RE 4
#2. RE 7
#3. RE Remake
#4. RE 2
#5. Revelations 1&2

Souslborne (Dark Souls & Bloodborne):
#1. Dark Souls
#2. Bloodborne
#3. Dark Souls III
#4. Demon Souls
#5. Dark Souls II

Hope this doesn't count as off topic lol. What about you guys? What would your top 5 look like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man, I keep forgetting that Funky was in MK Wii

Further proof of this is in the ending of DK64 where Chunky is the one to beat K. Rool and then Funky steals all his glory in the end. The man is a fraud and a hack. :reverse:
The best Kong is Lanky Kong

End of debate

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How'd they manage that? It's quite difficult to do that, unintentionally...
When leading a group of people on, you don't want to reveal your hand too early. By going to a highly-requested character's signature song so soon, especially a character who just had a big "leak" disproven, it gives up the game. No more reason to really follow along, but it was fun while it lasted.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

I've seen a couple of differences. Bombs launch her horizontally rather than Samus' vertical ones, and Dark doesn't lose momentum when firing missiles mid-air. Her grab also appears to come out quicker, and some moves have electric properties rather than fire.

I've also witnessed Dark Samus dash out of a Charge Shot buildup almost instantly but that might apply to regular Samus also.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

If Chunky's so great why is he the only Kong not in Barrel Blast? Wrinkly Kong is playable for God's sake, and she's dead!

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Chunky's so great why is he the only Kong not in Barrel Blast? Wrinkly Kong is playable for God's sake, and she's dead!
Out of all the kongs Chunky and Kiddie are the worst.

Chunky's not even fat... and his design is 90s as heck.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Also I'm just gonna say that Crunchii shot themselves in the foot with this one. The XC2 code was somewhat believable because they could just slide music in unedited easily enough, but going to Geno immediately is such obvious bait. The only real explanation is the song being in but no Geno outside of the Mii costume but I don't see that either. Just someone trying to stir up some talk, which I appreciate. The codes were fun.
Wait, did something happen?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Chunky Kong is so great, why isn't there a Chunky Kong 2?

Oh, that's why.
RIP chunky...we will never forget you.

Wait, did something happen?
Crunchii did that thing where he tweeted another code and it was just decoded today to be the Japanese name for Forest Maze. He previously did this with a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 song shortly after posting the Ultimate main menu music from a presskit.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Chunky didn't just die.

He experienced total cessation of existence, the coffin was just for show, and was actually empty.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Crunchii did that thing where he tweeted another code and it was just decoded today to he the Japanese name for Forest Maze.
Ohhh, essentially Geno bait. I mean, I'd hope he has the music because that means Geno's in, but I really wouldn't want him to just spoil it being there revealing such a big character like that if he is to be trusted(ish).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Chunky didn't just die.

He experienced total cessation of existence, the coffin was just for show, and was actually empty.
Chunky Kong really did die for our sins... He may have moved slow, and he didn't jump high...but that Kong was one hell of a guy.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, i´m kinda new here, was a lurker before, so i´d like to ask, whats everyone´s favourite character?
Tough to say, I don't really have a favorite, but let me say that :ultkrool: is a great villain.
So not only is he the nemesis to :ultdk: and :ultdiddy:, he's something of a foil to them as well.

:ultdk: is strong, loyal, and loves to lay around and just eat bananas.
:ultkrool: is gigantic, a fierce leader, and more than happy to keep that gigantic horde for himself.

Because :ultkrool: is similar to :ultdk: (an evil version), he also is the antithesis to :ultdiddy: who was created to contrast D:ultdk:'s design.

This is also why the Tiki Taks are less compelling that the Snomads in the newer games. Both are lesser than :ultkrool: but the Snomads' deisgn and motivation is a lot better than the Tiki's.

It also helps that in the grand scheme of things, the crocodile will always be the natural enemy to the primate. Anthropologists have made links between the origins of dragons and our inherit fear of reptiles. To appreciate K. Rool is to appreciate the DK in us all.

TL;DR

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Chunky Kong really did die for our sins... He may have moved slow, and he didn't jump high...but that Kong was one hell of a guy.
How could he be dead if I saw him at Smash-Fest? :confused:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What are your thoughts on the current state of the Zelda series itself? I'm not talking about how it's represented in Smash.
Sorry, just got up, but I wanted to respond to this:

I'm much more a fan of the console Zeldas than the handhelds. The consoles just seem a lot more ambitious, which the handhelds generally come off as filler. But that's just my opinion.

BotW was glorious. I loved how it felt a lot like western RPGs, notably Skyrim. True, there could have been some changes for the better - allow us to repair weapons and buy them from shops - but the whole idea of a completely open world and temperature based survival were beautiful. The voice acting was not exactly my cup of tea - some were good (Revali, Urbosa), but Zelda and Mipha had disappointing VA work which did start to take away from the game. Also the switching between voiced and text was jarring, and text feels more like Zelda.

My favorites are TP, BotW, and OoT. I prefer the more realistic looks for everything, and each had great storylines. Also MM was wonderfully done. The artstyle of WW turned me off quite a bit, but I finally played it and was annoyed by a lot of Tingle interactions. It did have some of the best music though.

In terms of controls, though, I'd love to be able to use a swinging motion, but I can't. I'm left-handed so one of the major things that drew me to Zelda in the first place was that the hero was also a lefty - now that they brought out motion controls, they keep changing the console Links to right-handed and it really annoys me more than it should. I never played SS because of it (also because you had to use motion controls, and the Wii is the worst console imaginable for lefties since you have to do at least one thing backwards), but I did force myself to get through BotW despite it.

I do like Link's character as a blank slate. Zelda's best characterization to me is one that makes her feel different from your standard 'princess in distress' (e.g. Peach) by giving her actual power and authority - another reason why TP's Zelda was my favorite. BotW's Zelda is a bit too whiny at times, and a princess who only exists as a love interest bores me greatly. Also, I prefer the evil human villain to the random monster, so I'd love for Ganondorf to make a reappearance again. I just feel that there's a lot more fun that can be had when there's a human face on evil, even if it does hulk out at the end. I didn't see the TP twist coming when I played it the first time, and I loved it.

Finally, my favorite side characters are the ones who have an actual strength to themselves. Midna's probably my favorite just due to her development through the game - you start hating her, and then grow to like her by the time Zant curses her. She's definitely the best of Link's companions hands down. Navi and Fi have no real personality to them, and Tatl got better, but it's hard to do antything with a ball of light. I also really like Urbosa best of the champions, since she exists as a maternal force, which is rare to see in games. Revali's characterization is okay, but pretty generic, Daruk didn't get much personality different from Darunia, and Mipha just grates on me totally for being nothing but the Juliet character, but with an annoying voice to boot.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Chunky indeed...

Times were tough though so sorry to see him go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom