• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Super Mario Bros. maybe Nintendo's most iconic and recognizable franchise but when it comes down to popularity. Pokemon no doubt takes that...
There is an argument that Pikachu is more iconic/recognizable than Mario. But I think it's close, and I feel like Mario has the legacy for older generations. It's still a valid argument some people make (still, none of the current gen is recognizable outside of those who currently play/follow Pokemon, but it doesn't matter when it comes to Smash since it's marketed towards those fans).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So if that Masked Man guy was actually caught, and not that he himself deleted all of his accounts because of Smash fans, then maybe we'll get Sora or Geno...

I searched him up on this thread; I thought there was an image of what he said, but I only found discussion about him back in June, but I remember him being discussed later, as I didn't come back to this site until sometime in August...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So if that Masked Man guy was actually caught, and not that he himself deleted all of his accounts because of Smash fans, then maybe we'll get Sora or Geno...

I searched him up on this thread; I thought there was an image of what he said, but I only found discussion about him back in June, but I remember him being discussed later, as I didn't come back to this site until sometime in August...
Getting Sora or Geno is still a maybe??? Ahyuck

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sora I don't see getting in Base but I do think he has a shot for DLC especially in response to Kingdom Hearts III and how highly demanded he is. The only obstacle in that way is Disney and they have the final word on his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

There really isn't such a thing as a character or series "deserving" more reps, in my opinion. Also, I really, really think we all overanalyze the heck out of how characters are chosen. I do not believe they are chosen because "X series needs more characters" or "X character deserves it for X reason", I believe it simply comes down to what Nintendo wants to market at the time mixed with Sakurai's vision for each individual game. For this game, he wanted to make a big crowd pleaser, which is why the main gimmick was "Everyone is here!" and having some of the newcomers be hardcore fandom picks like Ridley and K. Rool. Another thing that I think isn't the best mindset to have is thinking every character from K. Rool onwards is gonna be a hardcore Smash fan pick. Yes, Sakurai has said he went to the ballot for ideas, but that's the main thing: Ideas. He did not say that every character was going to be a core fandom pick, nor did he say they were all coming from the ballot.

If Pokemon got two characters, it's because Nintendo will of course market and push what is most likely their most profitable franchise. Heck, it's pretty dang clear (IMO) by the way FE characters were chosen that they were most likely crammed in as much as they were because they wanted to ride off of the hype Awakening caused. Pokemon is having a huge resurgence right now and is bigger than ever, so yeah, I don't think it's too far fetched (heh) to expect this game to give us more than Incineroar, whether it be from base game or DLC. Would it be nice to see characters from other series? Yes, but they aren't going to get put in the game because of reasons A, B, and C, they'll get in if it's what Nintendo wants. Sakurai has the power to choose newcomers, yes, but Nintendo has the power to say yes or no, and what they want is what they're gonna get. If they want more Zelda characters in Smash? They'll put more in. If they don't? Then they won't. Simple as that, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Getting Sora or Geno is still a maybe??? Ahyuck
I'm just afraid we may get Slime from Dragon Quest and no Geno.

I admit, though, if the leak Tansut mentioned is public, Geno and Sora are the only contenders. tbh I don't remember any image leaks with Sora; maybe one, but it was fake, and I'm still not sure if I'm actually remembering it or if it's my imagination.

D

Deleted member

Sora I don't see getting in Base but I do think he has a shot for DLC especially in response to Kingdom Hearts III and how highly demanded he is. The only obstacle in that way is Disney and they have the final word on his inclusion.
Considering no one's disproven the Star leak, Disney's not as big an obstacle as we may think.

:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I will continue to doubt Steve until Sakurai shows him to me.
Indeed. The person who rumored Steve is a) sketchy b) backtracking and now saying DLC c) also rumored a mobile game character, so at the very least his "leaks" are both... new territory, to put it mildly. Prior to that Steve was a meme, and now he's the most expected character behind Ken and Incineroar (even though some people say he's not expected--wat, all the predictions are saying it as exemplified here). It's jarring, to say the least.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm just afraid we may get Slime from Dragon Quest and no Geno.

I admit, though, if the leak Tansut mentioned is public, Geno and Sora are the only contenders. tbh I don't remember any image leaks with Sora; maybe one, but it was fake, and I'm still not sure if I'm actually remembering it or if it's my imagination.
I know we are not getting Slime

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So with this new information of a potential release version of Ultimate being shown Nov 3rd. What are people feeling a direct will be shown?

I could see them doing it either the day before the event or to start the event with the dierct as a kickoff to it all.

But I think/hope they will do a direct before that. My guess next week around the 24th sounds good.
I'm hopeful that we'll get it before October ends, but I could also see November 1st or 2nd, as you said. If I had to guess a date which will almost certainly be wrong, I'm going to go with the 25th.

I feel it would be for the best to do it before the 2nd, if only to promote the Switch Bundle and GameCube Controller Bundles during said direct, since they would be right around the corner, so to speak. Would hopefully be early enough to avoid any major leaks that could potentially arise as well, all things considered.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I think makes Steve? possible is how VergeBen stated there'd be Minecraft representation. It wasn't stated whether it'd be a character, stage, assist trophy, item or such or a few of those.

I still say a stage, assist trophy and item would be more then enough to represent Minecraft. Steve? I'd rather see as an assist or stage character.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Cries because F-Zero will never get a second rep

Hoping:
69 Skull Kid
70 Geno
11e Black Shadow
36e Dixie Kong
55e Ms. Pac-Man

Expecting:
69 Incineroar
70 Geno
10e Ninten
38e Shadow
60e Ken

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I do agree that Sora is way more likely to be DLC, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like Disney isn't even really an obstacle anymore. I mean, anybody who knows anything about games knows how popular Smash is. Disney'd have to be pretty dumb not to allow Sora in, especially with the release of KH3 on the horizon. It's more promotion, plus they'd make money off his inclusion. Also, Sakurai's shown he's capable of pulling whatever strings necessary to make "the impossible" possible.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
What I think makes Steve? possible is how VergeBen stated there'd be Minecraft representation. It wasn't stated whether it'd be a character, stage, assist trophy, item or such or a few of those.

I still say a stage, assist trophy and item would be more then enough to represent Minecraft. Steve? I'd rather see as an assist or stage character.
I don't think there will be a MS character. I think the Minecraft content was added after Nintendo teamed up with them for the Mario mashup pack which was a bit after the project plan was made.

Of course that does open the door for Banjo dlc which I think will happen.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'm hopeful that we'll get it before October ends, but I could also see November 1st or 2nd, as you said. If I had to guess a date which will almost certainly be wrong, I'm going to go with the 25th.

I feel it would be for the best to do it before the 2nd, if only to promote the Switch Bundle and GameCube Controller Bundles during said direct, since they would be right around the corner, so to speak. Would hopefully be early enough to avoid any major leaks that could potentially arise as well, all things considered.
Whats funny, someone on Reddit speculated 'what if' we got a demo to play DURING the event since the bundle is coming out around that time. With the controllers in hand, would give people an idea for what controller setup they prefer.

I don't think that will happen, but an interesting thought.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm so grateful Pokken exists so I can play as my favorite Pokemon in their coolest incarnations.

Mewtwo's actually a psychic fighter, Garchomp stomps you into the ground, Sceptile has a ton of tricks up his sleeve, and playing Scizor is like looking at a gundam.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So here's a thought...

This event in Japan is taking place November 3rd-4th and it might feature the full game itself.

If that's the case, I think it's likely we'll get the last Smash Direct revealing the last characters (alongside everything else) November 1st. Which would be technically only a day or two before the event starts given timezone differences.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the entire roster is going to be playable at that event, then that would mean a Direct is coming up.

HYPE TRAIN BOIZZZZ.

Erm, at least I hope.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Man, I keep wondering about these rumors, that Masked Man guy...

I remember "Sora or Geno" being said here, so I assume what he said meant that at least one of the characters in the leak he commented on was real...

Also, LeakyPandy may say something within the next week or two, so be ready to pick them apart if anyone wants to I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I am hopeful for something this upcoming week, I'm still gonna keep hype low. Helps make it easier if nothing major happens, ha ha.

That said, I would like a Direct ASAP. While I'm good on characters, I really, really wanna know what Spirits is.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
So here's a thought...

This event in Japan is taking place November 3rd-4th and it might feature the full game itself.

If that's the case, I think it's likely we'll get the last Smash Direct revealing the last characters (alongside everything else) November 1st. Which would be technically only a day or two before the event starts given timezone differences.
This is what I'm thinking too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doing such a thing will also prevent the entire roster getting leaked as Brawl and Sm4sh suffered before launch. If this is the case Nintendo and Sakurai finally caught on hoping to not make that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom