• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
76 more days to go.

They say Avengers: Infinity War is the crossover of all time. Well they haven't seen Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Am I the only one who sees this game as the Infinity War of games?

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it, make him a chimera of guys like Brawl Sonic was
:ultsonic::base
:ultwario::bike
:ultmewtwo::teleport

:ultbayonetta::ultzss::gun

Full edge
I would absolutely love this but based on most of Shadow's appearances (where he doesn't have much difference from Sonic), I feel Sakurai is gonna just stick Shadow in as "black Sonic" and keep him largely the same. I can hope for more tweaks/differences and chaos powers but I doubt Sakurai would go full edge.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Which characters are you all most excited to play?
1- :ultridley: < Because it's mother freakin' Ridley. :happysheep:

2- :ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultike: < Because I miss the old days when I used them in previous titles before I gave up with the game in the Smash4 Era.

3- :ultrosalina: < Because I am curious to know how to use her, and because she's Rosalina.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
How is any Avengers movie a crossover? If it was crossover it'd be an entirely different series (as in Batman showing up).
Avengers, and particularly Infinity War, is considered to be an incredible cross over event given that it crosses over many different series within Marvel--that nonetheless exist within the same universe. I do agree that the ambitiousness of the crossover is overblown--they're just adapting to the screen what has already taken place in comics, and the comics are filled with even more ambitious crossovers. What's ambitious is writing a story with over 30 characters and making it coherent.

And that's why I love Smash. Even by Brawl it was a more ambitious crossover than anything Marvel has ever done. And by Ultimate, it feels like it's celebrating almost everything in gaming, and only possible given how most of gaming has touched Nintendo in some form or another. Only Nintendo could pull something like Smash off.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And that's why I love Smash. Even by Brawl it was a more ambitious crossover than anything Marvel has ever done. And by Ultimate, it feels like it's celebrating almost everything in gaming, and only possible given how most of gaming has touched Nintendo in some form or another. Only Nintendo could pull something like Smash off.
Boy do I have an anime game series for you.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For starters, I wouldn’t want to see humanoid Midna period. I don’t mind the character but I would rather see Skull Kid or even an Impa Echo. And if I had to go with Midna, I would prefer her and Wolf Link but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

To me, wanting Midna as an Echo in order to have her playable isn’t a good thing. Sure, I wanted Dark Samus more than anything but as an unique fighter, that creates Dark Echoes, fires homing phazon sphere, has poison mehanics, and becomes an Auora Unit for her Final Smash. I love she’s in Smash but having her as an Echo felt like a hollow victory. Getting an Echo Dixie Kong will feel even more bitter and getting an Ken will feel like a huge middle finger. I don’t want Ken; echo or not. I am a big supporter of Scorpion but some supporters think that lampooning Sub-Zero as an Echo is logical cause...well...Richter got in so Sub-Zero. But that obviously wouldn’t work unless they pulled a Chrom times 2 and really changed him up.

If we had to have humanoid Midna, I would prefer a summoning type character that includes various enemies found in zelda.

And you might share in my disgust when I had a conversation offsite where a kid said that the Dragonborn could totally work as an Echo of Link. Reason being that they both use swords, shields, and now and arrows. Plus, theirs series are similar and Elder Scrolls isn’t as important as Zelda so adding him as an Echo would serve to drive that point home.
Sorry, was at work but I wanted to respond.

These are fair points - I guess my issue was whether Midna couldn't be a Zelda echo versus whether she shouldn't. Don't get me wrong - I would much prefer a unique imp Midna playable. I think we're well past time to get a new Zelda character (or two) since, despite being one of Nintendo's proven console-movers and a franchise that can win E3 with a single game, it's got fewer characters than Fire Emblem and more clones at that (3 unique and 3 semi-clone vs. 4 unique and 3 clones)

However, I have mixed feelings on clones-for-the-sake-of-clones. Personally, I'd usually prefer a character being in as a clone to not being in at all, with the few exceptions being for the characters that I'm not a fan of either the parent or the child. I've even gotten mostly over Ganondorf by this point. I've found that if I like the character, I generally will accept them as a clone, gripe a bit, but then be happy they're in. I've noticed before for myself: if I like the character and the moveset, I have no issues. If I like the character but hate the moveset, I'll gripe but be happy. If I dislike the character but like the moveset, I'll be salty that someone's 'stealing character X's thunder', and if I dislike both, I'll just be annoyed that 'series X is getting too much.' And I've got examples for each of these eventualities...

Still, I think if Zelda gets anything, it should be unique. If all we got was Twili-Midna-as-a-Zelda-echo or Impa-as-Sheik, I'd be annoyed that Zelda would be more clones than uniques at that point. It's one of the main reasons I started supporting Skull Kid - he's not my favorite Zelda character, but I loved Majora's Mask, and Zelda is way overdue for a unique, which we haven't gotten since Melee.

And to reference your last point, if I got Dovahkiin as a Link echo, I'd be really really confused, but I'd actually be okay with it as long as Kirby still got the right hat to wear. I guess since Link's my main, it makes it easier to accept. Now if her were a Pit echo instead...then I would gripe for longer and then suddenly get really good at playing Pit - and I'd swear up and down that Pit is the useless clone and Dovahkiin's the good one. :awesome:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Which characters are you all most excited to play?
i'm looking to main :ultpokemontrainer:, i played them at best buy and had a blast, which makes sense considering how much i love playing both squirtle and charizard (i enjoyed my time with ivysaur too!)

i'm also interested to try:ultpikachu:, that new nair seems fun, but i don't enjoy pika in any game past melee so far, so i'm not sure i'll like him

:ultness: was my main for most of smash 4, so i'm interested in how he's been reworked

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Jumping off the Infinity War comment:

I feel like I have seen everything I ever wanted to see in Smash Bros now except Marvel vs
Smash Bros. I want a Smash Bros style Marvel/Nintendo crossover. Maybe a combo of Square and Capcom could lend a hand in the negotiations to make such a thing come to light one day. There are a few characters I would be happy to see the join fight, but I could die happy if I was able to fight Mario against Spider-Man and Link against Wolverine.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Donkey Kong - Hulk
Link - Hawkeye
Mario - Captain America
Zero Suit Samus - Black Widow
Pit - Thor
Mega Man - Iron Man
Bowser, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley and Wolf - Black Order
Master Hand or Tabuu - Thanos

Sorry but I just had too. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Infinity War is considered ambitious because it's a live-action crossover film. Rights aren't the issue here, it's making sure everything works well, from characters to plot, with the runtime they have so that it doesn't feel like anyome got shafted and have all these big actors be there together to record. It's different from simply animating and modeling characters separately and then have VAs record their lines on their own. And it's something the film industry has never done before, at least not successfully or in such a grand scale.
Is it still overblown? Yeah, as far as "crossing-over" goes, there are a bunch of current MCU franchises and characters missing, even if you don't wanna count the TV series.
Smash Ultimate, however, is THE biggest crossover in history when it comes to source material represented, and it goes further beyond when you include assists, stages, bosses and trophies. The one thing it would need to be the de facto most ambitious crossover in history is a Story-mode featuring all these characters. Because getting them all in the same place is one thing, but having these characters interact in a cohesive narrative is a whole other.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I feel like I have seen everything I ever wanted to see in Smash Bros now except Marvel vs
Smash Bros. I want a Smash Bros style Marvel/Nintendo crossover. Maybe a combo of Square and Capcom could lend a hand in the negotiations to make such a thing come to light one day. There are a few characters I would be happy to see the join fight, but I could die happy if I was able to fight Mario against Spider-Man and Link against Wolverine.
Surprised there hadn't been a Smash Bros. vs. Capcom game in that case. I think if anything after this game the next Smash related thing should be that. It'd be a different yet unique approach. Only drawback is it'd have to be Nintendo exclusive.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Donkey Kong - Hulk
Link - Hawkeye
Mario - Captain America
Pit - Thor
Mega Man - Iron Man
Bowser, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley and Wolf - Black Order

R.O.B. - Vision
Zelda - Scarlet Witch

I'm not sorry.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
R.O.B. - Vision
Zelda - Scarlet Witch

I'm not sorry.
infinity war would be a much different and much better movie if vision was just like, a robot instead of this weird humanoid thing

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong - Hulk
Link - Hawkeye
Mario - Captain America
Pit - Thor
Mega Man - Iron Man

>Mega Man as Iron Man
>Not Samus
>Not wanting Samus to make sarcastic hand gestures during a fight
I'm disappointed
R.O.B. - Vision
Zelda - Scarlet Witch

I'm not sorry.
Zelda says "**** the robot"
Shulk: "please don't do that"

osby

Smash Obsessed

One of the reasons Marvel vs Capcom worked so well was that they both have realistic, mature characters. You have ones like Viewtiful Joe and Rocket here and there but mostly their visual style don't clash with each other much, especially thanks to great art direction of 3.

Nintendo vs Marvel/Capcom wouldn't worked so well imo, but it's interesting to think about.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Boy do I have an anime game series for you.
I was very particular, emphasizing being a cross over in gaming. Playstation tried--and failed, as they couldn't get many iconic characters, and even couldn't get the ones iconic to Playstation (which, Smash ironically does have some). And boy would I love to see the dumpster fire if Microsoft ever tried: Master Chief vs a Forza car.

EDIT:
I think he means Project X Zone.
I understood it was partly in jest, so I assumed he was talking about Jump Force. Project X Zone is a crossover of some video game franchises, but still goes to my point that only Nintendo could pull of something as extensive as Smash. You'll never see Mario in a PS/Xbox crossover, but we're seeing Sony and Microsoft content seeping into Smash. And it's due to Nintendo's legacy they can pull that off.

EDIT: Apparently it's Jump Ultimate Stars, see below. 305 characters is quite a lot, but still not video games.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was very particular, emphasizing being a cross over in gaming. Playstation tried--and failed, as they couldn't get many iconic characters, and even couldn't get the ones iconic to Playstation (which, Smash ironically does have some). And boy would I love to see the dumpster fire if Microsoft ever tried: Master Chief vs a Forza car.
I think he means Project X Zone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One of the reasons Marvel vs Capcom worked so well was that they both have realistic, mature characters. You have ones like Viewtiful Joe and Rocket here and there but mostly their visual style don't clash with each other much, especially thanks to great art direction of 3.

Nintendo vs Marvel/Capcom wouldn't worked so well imo, but it's interesting to think about.
There's always the idea of Nintendo vs. Sega with Marvel vs. Capcom style gameplay.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
76 more days to go.

They say Avengers: Infinity War is the crossover of all time. Well they haven't seen Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

76 days? There is 70 to go...

But yes it is quite near now. Cannot wait!

osby

Smash Obsessed
So how could had been Black Widow then? Zero Suit Samus seems to fit her perfectly.
Bayonetta.
infinity war would be a much different and much better movie if vision was just like, a robot instead of this weird humanoid thing
But Vision is supposed look like a unnerving human-robot mix. And I don't think he was important enough to change the whole movie.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Donkey Kong - Hulk
Link - Hawkeye
Mario - Captain America
Pit - Thor
Mega Man - Iron Man

So in this case, is luigi Winter Soldier?
Dark Pit Loki?

D

Deleted member

76 more days to go.

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue is the biggest cross-over of all time. Not to be confused with the greatest cross-over all time: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I mean, who doesn't appreciate watching a Dueling Pianos match between Daffy Duck and Donald Duck? 2 of the most high strung ducks in existence (though the Daffy portrayal was more from his 'lunatic' days as opposed to his more sarcastic personality he later became known for)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Donkey Kong - Hulk
Link - Hawkeye
Mario - Captain America
Pit - Thor
Mega Man - Iron Man

Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy then?

D

Deleted member

Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy then?
Guardians of the galaxy are essentially just Space versions of the Avengers, so... I dunno...cosmic versions of whoever you chose for the other avengers would be the Guardians lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom