• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well they didn't do good with the WiiU, so mistakes happen.
To be completely fair, this would be less of a mistake and more of a blatant, vaguely intentional, somewhat malicious oversight. I am usually the first to question Nintendo. I, for instance, thought that the Switch would not sell with only Arms, Splatoon, Odyssey and a truckload of ports. But if this was merely a port, the backlash would make the Wii U look like a loved console.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm calling it now. We're going to have a Rabbid as a character. Their different colors will be different costumes (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, etc)

Sadly, I think we would get a Rabbid before we'd get Rayman.
I think it would funny play as Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach xD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am pretty sure since this game is looking similar to Smash 4, they begun development straight after Wii U. Guess the Smash 6 job listing was true after all.

Am also guessing they'll add what is recent for new gaming franchises and old ones as Pokemon and Fire Emblem. This makes a character like Celica far more likely at this point. New FE Switch Lord could become DLC like Corrin.

Am thinking Link will have a Boomerang throw similar to how it works in BotW and 100% sure of Remote Bombs, and wondering what they are gonna do for his Neutral B. If anything, he can probably shoot from the sky far better. He'll get his Specials updated but maybe not anything else.

Funny how Inkling was shown first as well. We all knew they where gonna be in anyway.

Next up, am thinking they'll include a few ballot characters anyway. It seems most likely they started the development of those right away after the completion of the DLC characters.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Sorry I may be missing something here, but how is this not confirmed to be a new game? iI's copyright 2018, not 2014-2018, the website says title pending and original game, the title card is very different, and link has been updated. On top of this Namco isn't credited, which I believe they would have to be if it was a port.
I'd like to think Nintendo knows how hype can be both great and detrimental, they would've told us outright if it was a deluxe edition.
Well, there are doubts because Doctor Mario looks like Mario...

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
BTW, how many of you consistently play Sm4sh? I stopped after probably a year and a half. I'm kinda wondering why I stopped playing. I played Melee for years. I played Brawl for years. But I don't think it's because I didn't like the new Smash, and in fact I had a lot of fun with it. But I do think not having a fun single player mode made it less fun if you didn't play with friends.

And also, I think I was so annoyed with the Wii U that it made me want to play Sm4sh less too. Knowing that the console was doomed and a new one was coming soon made me less excited to play, for some reason. Now that I like the Switch, I would be totally fine with having the same Smash game on it.

But at the *very* least, we know we're going to have some new characters, which is cool. I'm really looking forward to it, and I hope I play this one for a lot longer than I did the last one.

Morbi

Scavenger
Am pretty sure since this game is looking similar to Smash 4, they begun development straight after Wii U. Guess the Smash 6 job listing was true after all.

Am also guessing they'll add what is recent for new gaming franchises and old ones as Pokemon and Fire Emblem. This makes a character like Celica far more likely at this point. New FE Switch Lord could become DLC like Corrin.

Am thinking Link will have a Boomerang throw similar to how it works in BotW and 100% sure of Remote Bombs, and wondering what they are gonna do for his Neutral B. If anything, he can probably shoot from the sky far better. He'll get his Specials updated but maybe not anything else.

Funny how Inkling was shown first as well. We all knew they where gonna be in anyway.

Next up, am thinking they'll include a few ballot characters anyway. It seems most likely they started the development of those right away after the completion of the DLC characters.
If anything, the ballot was more for this game than the last. But I am one of the people that absolutely believes Bayonetta was not the first feasible winner. She was overtly cherry picked.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well, it makes sense, this is a teaser trailer, you can't just show the Smash Logo and being done... smash needs to do something... and the safest pick to use as the new character without spoiling to much is Inkling.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
If anything, the ballot was more for this game than the last. But I am one of the people that absolutely believes Bayonetta was not the first feasible winner. She was overtly cherry picked.
Tbf, I'd wager there'd be a pretty big outrage if Goku or Shrek got in, because you know damn well they got high on the polls based on the meme factor alone.

Morbi

Scavenger
BTW, how many of you consistently play Sm4sh? I stopped after probably a year and a half. I'm kinda wondering why I stopped playing. I played Melee for years. I played Brawl for years. But I don't think it's because I didn't like the new Smash, and in fact I had a lot of fun with it. But I do think not having a fun single player mode made it less fun if you didn't play with friends.

And also, I think I was so annoyed with the Wii U that it made me want to play Sm4sh less too. Knowing that the console was doomed and a new one was coming soon made me less excited to play, for some reason. Now that I like the Switch, I would be totally fine with having the same Smash game on it.

But at the *very* least, we know we're going to have some new characters, which is cool. I'm really looking forward to it, and I hope I play this one for a lot longer than I did the last one.
I still played Smash 4 a lot and it is probably my second favorite Smash overall; however, I find it the most fun to actually play (because I am not a mechanical wizard, by any stretch of the imagination which makes Melee a bit to technical for me). That being said, I do agree. Compared to Melee or Brawl, I feel as though I have not played it nearly as much. I played Melee almost every day for years and Brawl at least once a week for years. This game, I get into it, play it religiously for a few days and give it a few months break.

I hate the Swtich, but that is why I desperately need this game. Save it from the dust, fam. Save it from neglect.

This time around, I do not even care about the characters. I just want Spring Man and Black Shadow, essentially. I much prefer they just fix up characters like Lucina and Ganon and bring Wolf/Ice Climbers back to be perfectly honest.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Actually, I could see Sakurai holding off on FE characters this time around and focusing on different franchises. Could be wrong though.

I just hope any changes to Link's moveset are kept to a minimum. It's basically stayed the same since Melee, so anything too drastic wouldn't feel right (plus, any changes made to normal Link could possibly be carried over to Toon Link).

Last edited:

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
Does anyone else think Link's recovery in this new Smash will be the paraglider from BOTW or at least add it to his abilities?
I think it's too iconic and centered to the game to ignore
for final smash idk what they would do, maybe a divine beast type link creature?​

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Actually, I could see Sakurai holding off on FE characters this time around and focusing on different franchises. Could be wrong though.
God I really hope so.

Sakurai did the same thing for Kirby after it got a lot of representation in Brawl. We could go a Smash without an FE character

Although knowing them they can't help themselves. We have to have the FE Switch protag in the game of course.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
God I really hope so.

Sakurai did the same thing for Kirby after it got a lot of representation in Brawl. We could go a Smash without an FE character

Although knowing them they can't help themselves. We have to have the FE Switch protag in the game of course.
I don't know. I mean, I understand Sakurai really likes FE, but part of me wants to believe that he'll fully acknowledge the abundance of characters from the franchise and instead focus on representing FE through more Assist Trophies and items.

I'd be perfectly fine with that, and I think it would satisfy many of the FE fans too.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I just hope any changes to Link's moveset are kept to a minimum. It's basically stayed the same since Melee, so anything too drastic wouldn't feel right (plus, any changes made to normal Link could possibly be carried over to Toon Link).
To be fair, it is not as though Sakurai was the one who was committed to adding Corrin. Nintendo has some degree of influence, at the very least and they are pushing Fire Emblem HARD. It is arguably bigger than Donkey Kong or Metriod at this point in time. Prime 4 might change that. But Fire Emblem has been one of their more consistent series. I doubt he will go crazy and add 3 or 4 or anything to that effect, but FE should be one of his main priorities to be real.

I hope they do not change it. I am finally able to play my baby again because the ugly stick was put away (or I guess it was destroyed after a couple swings, ha ha, BotW jokes, yeah?). Remote bombs are okay because that would not technically change him for the worse like Gale Boomerang did. They improved his dash attack to be more Legend of Zelda-esque in 4 as well, and his dodge roll I believe. I support changes such as those. I am not fond of the idea of completely changing him though. He is an OG for a reason.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
We need to get Vaanrose and Burb in here to really feel like the good ol' speculation days.

Ura Ura Yeah... I wish. I bet we'll still have another FE character though.:'(

Though I thought Robin was actually a pretty cool character, because they had unique abilities. I think most of us are just getting sick of swordsman characters with no ranged attacks. It gets a bit dull after a while, since they all have similar looks too.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
We're definitely getting at least ONE new FE character, and like many have said, it'll probably be the FE16 protagonist.

Does anyone else think Link's recovery in this new Smash will be the paraglider from BOTW or at least add it to his abilities?
I think it's too iconic and centered to the game to ignore
for final smash idk what they would do, maybe a divine beast type link creature?​
He'll probably share the same function (or at least a similar one) to Peach's parasol, where he can glide manually and/or after using his Up B.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know. I mean, I understand Sakurai really likes FE, but part of me wants to believe that he'll fully acknowledge the abundance of characters from the franchise and instead focus on representing FE through more Assist Trophies and items.

I'd be perfectly fine with that, and I think it would satisfy many of the FE fans too.
We can only hope so.

It's not so much that Sakurai really likes FE than it is certain characters getting in through promotional means. But even then Sakurai has acknowledged this in one of his Famitsu columns. It would be very nice if he made it up by not adding any new FE character this time around.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Tbf, I'd wager there'd be a pretty big outrage if Goku or Shrek got in, because you know damn well they got high on the polls based on the meme factor alone.
Goku has one hell of a workable moveset and has been in hundreds of games. Ki blast, Kamehameha, flight, transformations..

I mean, I'd personally love him in but I can see why he shouldn't be too. He's primarily an anime character at the end of the day.

Shrek is definitely meme status though.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Most likely. Nintendo can't help themselves. I dread the day when the reveal happens and all the strong opinions come out in full force.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We need to get Vaanrose and Burb in here to really feel like the good ol' speculation days.

Though I thought Robin was actually a pretty cool character, because they had unique abilities. I think most of us are just getting sick of swordsman characters with no ranged attacks. It gets a bit dull after a while, since they all have similar looks too.
Which is why it baffles me that we've never gotten a FE character who doesn't wield a sword as their primary weapon. You'd think we would've gotten a strictly spear or archer by now.

Is having a sword some type of secret requirement for FE characters?

Morbi

Scavenger
We're definitely getting at least ONE new FE character, and like many have said, it'll probably be the FE16 protagonist.

He'll probably share the same function (or at least a similar one) to Peach's parasol, where he can glide manually and/or after using his Up B.
That would be a dream come true. I used to play Link (before Sakurai bludgeoned his face) and have taken to Peach in more recent entries, so that would be perfect for someone such as myself.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Which is why it baffles me that we've never gotten a FE character who doesn't wield a sword as their primary weapon. You'd think we would've gotten a strictly spear or archer by now.

Personally i'm just sick of any FE character regardless of what they're gimmick is. It's almost like there's a requirement to always have a new character in the series. After the abundance of characters we got in Smash 4, it's time to give it a rest until the next Smash even though I know Nintendo/IS isn't going to let that happen.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
For the next Fire Emblem Character, I think the best place to look for who will take the next open space is to look at the Choose Your Legends voting bracket.

It's the most recent popularity poll for the franchise and a good tool to gauge which characters might be wanted over others. Bellow is the top ten characters ranked with their highest votes from the two polls. I purposely excluded both veterans and mounted characters as they'd be too wonky to be in a smash game (quote me on this).

1. Lyndis from Blazing Sword (49,917)

2. Hector from Blazing Sword (38,527)

3. Celica from Shadows of Valentia (36, 302)

4. Ephraim from Sacred Stones (31,027)

5. Tharja from Awakening (29,206)

6. Veronica from Heroes (29,206)

7. Erika from Sacred Stones (27, 503)

8. Chrom from Awakening (23,803)

9. Azura from Fates (20,430)

10. Loki from Heroes (16,811)

There is also the chance for the FE16 Protagonist to make it in, but whether he'll be on the main roster or DLC depends on when Smash for Switch and FE16 release.

Troykv

Smash Master
Not exactly, it's just most of the main characters are Sword Users: and the main character that doesn't use sword (like Micaiah) are usually overshadow for the ones that uses sword because they're usually more important and/or popular... such a shame.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Careful now. FE16 hasn't even been properly revealed yet. Not saying it couldn't happen, but nothing is guaranteed.

Not exactly, it's just most of the main characters are Sword Users.
I know. Just being a little too critical of sword characters (I'm really wanting a spear fighter).

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This sounds like some silly Smash fanbase hope to cling to. Sakurai is going to pick whatever the **** he wants.

It’s because the main characters use swords. No other reason.

I don’t really think using a different weapon makes much of a difference anyway. A lance would be too clunky for widespread use, and an axe or knife isn’t really functionally different from a sword.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I don't think Sakurai just sits down one evening and ponders on what characters to cut. If characters get cut, it'll most likely be because of time constraints or limitations (ICs being an example of the latter).

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Goku has one hell of a workable moveset and has been in hundreds of games. Ki blast, Kamehameha, flight, transformations..

I mean, I'd personally love him in but I can see why he shouldn't be too. He's primarily an anime character at the end of the day.

Shrek is definitely meme status though.
Throw in UI as a Final Smash and you're set.

That would be a dream come true. I used to play Link (before Sakurai bludgeoned his face) and have taken to Peach in more recent entries, so that would be perfect for someone such as myself.
(before Sakurai bludgeoned his face)
Oof. I don't this its so bad- but it could be better I guess. Back on topic, I really hope they do it too, it's the best way to jam in as many BotW references and callbacks in his move set as possible while expanding his movement/recovery options outside his generally 'meh' staple Up B.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
This sounds like some silly Smash fanbase hope to cling to. Sakurai is going to pick whatever the **** he wants.

It’s because the main characters use swords. No other reason.

I don’t really think using a different weapon makes much of a difference anyway. A lance would be too clunky for widespread use, and an axe or knife isn’t really functionally different from a sword.
Well, I did not assert that he was going to use the results. In fact, that is more or less implied when I stated that I believe Bayonetta was not even the top feasible character. He just has that information to influence his decision.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you guys think there's any hope of Sakurai/Nintendo revealing the results of the Ballot with the new game?

And do you think there's going to be a new Ballot for this game?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally i'm just sick of any FE character regardless of what they're gimmick is. It's almost like there's a requirement to always have a new character in the series. After the abundance of characters we got in Smash 4, it's time to give it a rest until the next Smash even though I know Nintendo/IS isn't going to let that happen.
Just remember that IS doesn't control Smash. Since FE is already getting regular promotion through Heroes, and since they already got a Warriors game of nothing but FE characters, I don't think they'll be pushing too hard for a new FE rep, if they even push at all.

I say that now, but watch as the next character reveal is a FE character.

Do you guys think there's any hope of Sakurai/Nintendo revealing the results of the Ballot with the new game?

Absolutely not. I'm semi-serious when I say Sakurai might have to go into hiding if he revealed how close some of the popular characters were to getting in Smash.

New ballot? Not sure. A little too early to say.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I think the FE16 protagonist is likelier than Celica, since the game is slated for release this year. It will probably release this Holiday right along Smash.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I really don't see what that would prove. That someone cheated or we're all just over thinking things?

In all honesty, it doesn't really matters anymore. Characters were added and we moved on.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That was disappointing. Waste of plastic.

Nintendo needs to make a new main Animal Crossing game for the Switch and make the existing amiibos useful for that game. I don't like that those amiibos are only good for amiibo Festival, Super Mario Maker, and I guess Happy Home Designer.
There are other amiibo sets that are just as worthless in the long run. The Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card becomes useless once Shadow Mewtwo is officially unlocked.

D

Deleted member

Starting with the first question, probably not. They might mention that [insert character here] got in because they scored high on the Ballot, but I doubt they'd give away the full results.

As for the second question, if there's DLC (which there probably will be), then I can see a new Ballot happening.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I would much prefer to see an older FE character with an established popularity like Lyn included over whoever the latest protag is. But considering that FE (and Pokemon) is pretty much stuck onto this loop of only prioritizing the most recent flavour of the month character, I don't think I would mind FE sitting this one out....

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just remember that IS doesn't control Smash. Since FE is already getting regular promotion through Heroes, and since they already got a Warriors game of nothing but FE characters, I don't think they'll be pushing too hard for a new FE rep, if they even push at all.

I say that now, but watch as the next character reveal is a FE character.
Dude they do everything in their power to push that franchise to the moon and back. Nothing is ever "substantial" for them. Them putting the FE16 protag would be anything but shocking knowing how badly their trying to push this franchise.
Absolutely not. I'm semi-serious when I say Sakurai might have to go into hiding if he revealed how close some of the popular characters were to getting in Smash.

New ballot? Not sure. A little too early to say.
Okay dude that's the overexaggeration of the century lol. What's the worst a bunch of angry Smash fans could do lol.

If there's another DLC happening then yes I could see that. Although next time round I hope there's more transparency with how the Ballot works and that we actually hear about it multiple times before the final Smash Direct.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, I did not assert that he was going to use the results. In fact, that is more or less implied when I stated that I believe Bayonetta was not even the top feasible character. He just has that information to influence his decision.
I wouldn’t even hope tbh. Just take what we get.

The results will never be revealed.

A new ballot is fairly likely if they adopt a Splatoon model. If not I don’t think they’re going to bother with another cluster**** like that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dude they do everything in their power to push that franchise to the moon and back. Nothing is ever "substantial" for them. Them putting the FE16 protag would be anything but shocking knowing how badly their trying to push this franchise.
Still, they're one small gear in a much larger machine. The games and franchises they make aren't any more important than what the other studios make.

Okay dude that's the overexaggeration of the century lol. What's the worst a bunch of angry Smash fans could do lol..
I did say I was only semi-serious. But still, revealing the results probably wouldn't be the greatest idea, as it will likely cause a lot of unnecessary anger and arguing among Smash fans. It's probably best if we just leave the results unknown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom