• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I like most of the Smash characters. They're either ones I already liked from their games, or I think they make sense, or I like the surprise of their inclusion.

The only ones that come immediate to mind as ones I DON'T care for all that much are Jigglypuff and Roy.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes there will be characters in the game that you don't like. For example here's :ultcorrin:
That's why I said "I'd rather". If you gave me the choice between Corrin and Hector, I would choose the latter in a heartbeat.
And if I had to choose between Buzzwole and literally any other Pokemon, I would choose literally any other Pokemon
Can't answer that. Sorry.
It's Celebi, isn't it? I just have a hunch, that's all.

D

Deleted member

I personally think Buzzwole is one of the worst designs of Gen 7.

I really want the Pokemon rep to be Incineroar.
To each their own, I suppose. I wouldn't mind it being Incineroar (my favorite starter of Sun/Moon), I just feel like the ultra beasts would be a good change of pace and I like their designs. Except for Blacephelon; bleh.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
This is so boooooooooooring...It takes very long for a leak to appear, but I've thought of a little game to pass some time.
Imagine your main is now a Smashboards user. What would he or she do?

For me, this Mii Fighter would ask around and challenge everyone to a Smash game.
Whenever a new topic is brought into the thread, :ultsnake: replies to everyone by restating their post but as a question MGS1 style.

Randonumber1 said:
Hey guys, what 3rd party characters do you want Smash Bros? I want Heichachi from Tekken.
Snake said:
...3rd party characters?
...Super Smash Bros?
...Heihachi from Tekken?

Untouch

Smash Master
Joe, I think you just opened yourself up to conspiracies that you know what pokemon is getting added.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like most of the Smash characters. They're either ones I already liked from their games, or I think they make sense, or I like the surprise of their inclusion.

The only ones that come immediate to mind as ones I DON'T care for all that much are Jigglypuff and Roy.
I like pretty much everyone (icluding those two, lol).I even warmed up some characters I didn't liked at first, like Young Link or Corrin. Ultimate is the only game where I hate some of the newcomers.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I like pretty much everyone (icluding those two, lol). Ultimate is the only game where I hate some of the newcomers.
Looking back at the roster, I'm not the biggest fan of Dr. Mario or Pichu either.

Ultimate's newcomers have been some of my favorites. K. Rool, Simon, and Ridley were LONG-TIME desires of mine, and I thought the Inklings were pretty much inevitable. Plus, I really like Chrom.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Can someone fill me in on who the top contenders for the new Pokemon rep are? I'm not too well-versed in the realm of Pokemon so I don't usually know why certain Pokemon get more popularity than others.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
If we got the new Pokemon rep based solely on how good their design is, you can catch me slamming as my new main

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Can someone fill me in on who the top contenders for the new Pokemon rep are? I'm not too well-versed in the realm of Pokemon so I don't usually know why certain Pokemon get more popularity than others.
Icineroar is number 1 easily

Number 2 is Gardevoir not due to the leak Morley due to she’s still missing in action and is a popular gen 3 pokemon

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
It's normal, third parties could have some kind of compromise: magazines, other platforms, ads... Some of them will result in Nintendo losing something, nothing big, but was their decision. They can't control what the other companies show if they cut the direct where those games should have been shown. Nintendo broke whatever compromise they got delaying the Direct.
Maybe the direct will suffer some modification.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Looking back at the roster, I'm not the biggest fan of Dr. Mario or Pichu either.

Ultimate's newcomers have been some of my favorites. K. Rool, Simon, and Ridley were LONG-TIME desires of mine, and I thought the Inklings were pretty much inevitable. Plus, I really like Chrom.
If I had to choose, my favourite newcomers are probably For, though first three games brought some of my faves.

Ultimate, eh, Belmonts and Inklings were cool. Chrom was nice, even if he felt kinda reduntant (I prefer Lucina and Robin but guy deserved it). I don't care about Daisy or Dark Samus. I straight up won't play as K.Rool and Ridley, they were awful additions. In the end, could've been better.

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
HOW ARE they so FAST? It's great they're restoring stuff quickly, but damn, I'm incredibly jealous.
In Japan it's either you have a strong work ethic or you're a NEET. Most people take the work ethic route.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I like pretty much everyone (icluding those two, lol).I even warmed up some characters I didn't liked at first, like Young Link or Corrin. Ultimate is the only game where I hate some of the newcomers.
I don't understand how you can hate Ridley and King K. Rool. They are some of the best character announcements for Smash ever.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar has been seemingly planned for an anime role since Sun/Moon concepts.
Lycanroc has been pushed and is Ash's ace Pokemon for the Sun and Moon anime.
Buzzwole/Pheromosa have been discussed as representatives of the Ultra Beasts that debuted in Pokemon Sun/Moon.
Decidueye/Golisopod have been discussed as generally cool designs that would work well as Smash fighters.
Tapu Koko has been discussed as being one of the major icons of Sun/Moon as well as heavily pushed in marketing.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

I have so many fond memories of playing as Jigglypuff while in... other states of being... I can never separate her from being part of my Smash experience. I love Pichu because it actually shows so much emotion and character (now) compared to a lot of the Pokemon we have, but in Melee I did not care for it at all. I would say the only characters I hate as characters would be Dr. Mario, Roy, and, I'm sorry to everyone, but Pac-Man.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

Agreed. I feel like these newcomer choices have been about as strong as they could’ve been. If you came up to me pre-Ultimate and told me that there would only be three newcomers, without being overly personal with my desires, I literally would have told you that Inkling, Ridley, and King K. Rool would be the best choices. And Simon is a pretty sweet third party choice on top of that.

?????????????

Smash Master
Based on what we've seen in previous Smash games, it seems very likely that we'd get a Pokemon from Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon; the question is who.

Decidueye has been a high prospect; many people attached to it quickly, we have yet to see a fully-evolved Grass Starter in Smash Bros., and it's abilities are interesting for a fighting game, as evidenced by Pokken Tournament.

Many people, however, have drawn comparisons to Greninja with Lycanroc, given the role Lycanroc plays in the anime as Ash's go-to battle partner, not to mention how much it was used in Ultra Sun/Moon's promotion. It's very possible this was planned ahead of time.

On the other hand, it's also possible Sakurai had to go purely off of concept art. If this is the case, Incineroar seems to be the most likely. Incineroar's concept art is the only one to feature Ash, which many take as a hint that Incineroar was the one planned ahead for, and events in the anime may be leading up to that. Also
there are rumors that suggest Incineroar is the newcomer

Besides that, Tapu Koko was also used heavily in the trailers leading up to Sun/Moon, making many people believe that could be another frontrunner, or perhaps an Ultra Beast would've been chosen to show off that new concept.

However, other people believe that Smash Ultimate's choices will be entirely based on the ballot. I don't agree since we have Simon, but if this were the case, it's possible Sceptile did well. After we had Charizard and Greninja in Smash 4, many people turned to Sceptile as a contender since it was the Grass Starter of ORAS, the latest Pokemon release of the time, and it had previously had a large role in the anime.

Alternatively, from the same generation/ORAS, some people believe Gardevoir may be a more popular pick. Some of this might stem purely from a rumor though.

...That's my overview.

D

Deleted member

Top contenders are:
Incineroar (A Fire/Dark bipedal tiger whose theme is that of a Wrestler)
Decidueye ( A Grass/Ghost Archer Owl who's already in Pokken Tournament)

Highly Wanted:
Aforementioned Pokemon above +
Gardevoir (Gen 3 Psychic Pokemon who was previously a trophy)
Gothitelle (Already confirmed, but not really)
Lycanroc (Rock type wolf pokemon fron Sun/Moon with different forms; Midnight Form which is Bipedal is more likely)
Buzzwole (An Alien-like newer pokemon called an 'Ultra Beast' since it comes from another dimension in the Pokemon lore; this particular one is a super buff quadrupedal centaur Mosquito thing)
Pheramosa (Another Ultra Beast that is super fast and very sleek & lithe)
Nihlego (A 3rd Ultra Beast that is Rock/Poison typing and looks like a Jellyfish with a Sunhat)
Golispod (A Water/Bug pokemon that looks like it was designed by Ridley Scott and is probably the most metal design they've ever invented)
Tapu Koko (A type of 'Deity', so a Legendary Pokemon, from Sun/Moon that is Electric/Fairy type. Hard to describe; its easier to google lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I don't understand how you can hate Ridley and King K. Rool. They are some of the best character announcements for Smash ever.
Different strokes for different folks.
I can't see the appeal of K.rool at all, even now. The only thing interesting about him was the old cartoon and his theme.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If I had to choose, my favourite newcomers are probably For, though first three games brought some of my faves.

Ultimate, eh, Belmonts and Inklings were cool. Chrom was nice, even if he felt kinda reduntant (I prefer Lucina and Robin but guy deserved it). I don't care about Daisy or Dark Samus. I straight up won't play as K.Rool and Ridley, they were awful additions. In the end, could've been better.
I'm curious as to why you think they were awful additions.

Smash lacked villains, it lacked heavyweights, and DK and Metroid both lacked representation.

K.Rool and Ridley filled some very important gaps in the roster.

Not liking them is fine, but saying they were bad additions to the roster is something I very much disagree with.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. is the only character I despise..mostly due to being a lazy design (Baby Bowser with a bandanna), two overdone tropes (Name Jr & looking identical to parent), and being the cause for the Koopalings being retconned into not being Bowser's children.

I also hate that annoying personality they give a lot of best characters that he (and Viridi to a much lesser extent, have)

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

Not liking K. Rool or Ridley is an opnion. Saying they were bad additions is just wrong. You can dislike something, but to say that 2 characters that people have been clamoring for for years are 'bad additions' is a prime example of when an Opinion can, in fact, be wrong. Contrary to popular belief that opinions can't be wrong.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So this is the hour of opinions and thoughts on the current roster and potential Pokemon additions, yes? I'm just confused but want to make sure so I don't make mistakes. I may be interested in the topic. *currently curious, but also nervous*

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m trying to warm up (hehe puns) to the idea of Incineroar, but it’s one of my all-time least favorite Pokemon designs... Tapu Koko is what I’m hoping for, though I don’t really want any new Pokemon characters.

I can’t really complain if it gets in though, not after all the other amazing reveals we’ve already got.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Based on what we've seen in previous Smash games, it seems very likely that we'd get a Pokemon from Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon; the question is who.

Decidueye has been a high prospect; many people attached to it quickly, we have yet to see a fully-evolved Grass Starter in Smash Bros., and it's abilities are interesting for a fighting game, as evidenced by Pokken Tournament.

Many people, however, have drawn comparisons to Greninja with Lycanroc, given the role Lycanroc plays in the anime as Ash's go-to battle partner, not to mention how much it was used in Ultra Sun/Moon's promotion. It's very possible this was planned ahead of time.

On the other hand, it's also possible Sakurai had to go purely off of concept art. If this is the case, Incineroar seems to be the most likely. Incineroar's concept art is the only one to feature Ash, which many take as a hint that Incineroar was the one planned ahead for, and events in the anime may be leading up to that. Also
there are rumors that suggest Incineroar is the newcomer

Besides that, Tapu Koko was also used heavily in the trailers leading up to Sun/Moon, making many people believe that could be another frontrunner, or perhaps an Ultra Beast would've been chosen to show off that new concept.

However, other people believe that Smash Ultimate's choices will be entirely based on the ballot. I don't agree since we have Simon, but if this were the case, it's possible Sceptile did well. After we had Charizard and Greninja in Smash 4, many people turned to Sceptile as a contender since it was the Grass Starter of ORAS, the latest Pokemon release of the time, and it had previously had a large role in the anime.

Alternatively, from the same generation/ORAS, some people believe Gardevoir may be a more popular pick. Some of this might stem purely from a rumor though.

...That's my overview.
Any one of those would be exciting to see.

Except Incineroar. I have no idea why people get excited over him.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976

?????????????

Smash Master
....Also, just to get it off my chest.

When someone tells me they don't like a character I like, that's fine. It's their opinion, and it doesn't bother me.

When someone tells me a character I like is BAD, it feels like a personal attack. Like my preferences are worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom