• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Bandana Dee had a boss fight too in Superstar! Video was posted last time he was brought up, best boss fight ever~
Super Star Ultra.

All he has in the original is an appearance in Megaton Punch, iirc.

And even then, he's more of an elite mook than an actual antagonist in that boss fight.

Last edited:
Currently in the process of counting the votes to my character poll and currently both Isaac and Bandanna Dee are tied at 20, which kind of hurts my list. I wanted to ask the boards who deserve the higher position on the list between the two and I will turn that into a single vote to make sure they don't fill the same position. Thanks.

Edit: And Takamaru and Dixie are tied at 9 so please answer who deserves it more there as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Currently in the process of counting the votes to my character poll and currently both Isaac and Bandanna Dee are tied at 20, which kind of hurts my list. I wanted to ask the boards who deserve the higher position on the list between the two and I will turn that into a single vote to make sure they don't fill the same position. Thanks.
For the sake of giving us a fourth Kirby character, I vote Bandana Dee.

(Edit: And for the sake of giving us a third DK character, I vote Dixie. Both Issac and Takamaru are great in their own rights, but I'd rather get more characters for the existing franchises in Smash before looking to add more new ones.)

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Super Star Ultra.

All he has in the original is an appearance in Megaton Punch, iirc.

And even then, he's more of an elite mook than an actual antagonist in that boss fight.
I treat the 2 as the same for the most part so my bad on that. Don't even recall what part of the game he's a boss in. I wanna say Meta Knight's Revenge. And I could've sworn he appeared at least as a 'talking head' in Superstar during MKR much like the bird guy, MK himself and some other random knights. Granted, I only played the original Superstar once and that was after Planet Robobot was announced since I made a goal to beat every main Kirby game I hadn't yet in preparation for that game. Considered it inferior to the DS remake so my memory on it is rather poor.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, if I came off as an idiot earlier abot Bandana Dee. He's still not in my top 10, as personally I feel Kirby is fine at 3 reps, but I am not Sakurai

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Edit: And Takamaru and Dixie are tied at 9 so please answer who deserves it more there as well.
Gotta vote for Isaac. I love both of them but Isaac's whole series got the short end of the stick.
And on the second one, if you count my vote for Takamaru from the other day, you should remove it. I changed my 5th Nintendo character choice to King K. Rool.
If not then I vote for Takamaru.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Gotta vote for Isaac. I love both of them but Isaac's whole series got the short end of the stick.
And on the second one, if you count my vote for Takamaru from the other day, you should remove it. I changed my 5th Nintendo character choice to King K. Rool.
I voted for Krystal, Rool, Alexandria Rovias, the Inklings, and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil

Last edited:
I have counted all votes up until now from YouTube, Smashboards, and Facebook. So I could cut your vote of Takamaru and make it 8 votes instead.

D

Deleted member

I voted for Krystal, Rool, Alexandria Rovias, the Inklings, and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil
I think you need more context on this discussion

Hello Smashboards.......I'm back (after like 3 years maybe, don't remember).

Ok, so this post is a poll survey poll I have set up and asked multiple groups across Facebook as well as on YouTube. I want to see what the most requested characters would be for the next new Smash Bros. Who you think stands a chance. Who you think makes sense. I will calculate the results in a YouTube video (as well as a list most likely).

The two questions are:

1. What are FIVE new Nintendo characters you would like to see in Smash Bros 5?

2. What are FIVE new third party characters you would like to see in Smash Bros 5?

You don't have to state reasons for why you think they should be in if you don't want to but it is there if you choose to. And of course this is only taking into account characters out now or out shortly in the future as we have no idea what new games get made and what new characters will catch the eye of Nintendo, especially given we likely have a few more years before we even hear of the next Smash. But it will show what the Smash community thinks as of now. I hope to calculate the results (as I intend to ask multiple gaming groups this same survey) and put into a future YouTube video for my channel.

Thanks for any and all votes you can give. I very much appreciate it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Who deserves it? Well nobody is going to be surprised by this, but I think Isaac deserves it more. He's the face and most recurrent protagonist of his series, a series which has performed just as well as others on the roster, and has broken a million on multiple titles, yet remains omitted. If recency were of no consequence, I'd think he'd be a no-brainer. But it is. He's also been a fan favourite choice for like fifteen years.

Bandana Dee is a supporting, quaternary character in his series. He could be unique and fun, but his series, for what it is, is not poorly represented by the three unique, more important characters it already has. Bandana Dee has recency in his favour, so while I don't think either character will be included, I do believe Dee to have the better chance. Though does he deserve it more? Idk, I don't think so.

For the sake of giving us a fourth Kirby character, I vote Bandana Dee.
Why is a fourth Kirby character of greater importance than a single GS character?

Ok two votes for Isaac being higher up and one for Bandanna Dee. So I will bump Isaac up to 21 votes so they don't tie the same position.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Oh, so it isn't an online poll or something, it's just a post.

Well, I vote for Bandana Dee, Ridley, K.Rool, Magolor and Bewear.

And for third parties Bomberman, Leon from RE, Snake, Crash and Simon Belmont.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I treat the 2 as the same for the most part so my bad on that. Don't even recall what part of the game he's a boss in. I wanna say Meta Knight's Revenge. And I could've sworn he appeared at least as a 'talking head' in Superstar during MKR much like the bird guy, MK himself and some other random knights. Granted, I only played the original Superstar once and that was after Planet Robobot was announced since I made a goal to beat every main Kirby game I hadn't yet in preparation for that game. Considered it inferior to the DS remake so my memory on it is rather poor.
You're thinking of Sailor Waddle Dee for the MK one

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why is a fourth Kirby character of greater importance than a single GS character?
I edited my previous post right as you posted this.

Importance has nothing to do with my decision. I'd just really like to see the existing franchises fleshed out a little more before we start adding more new ones. Golden Sun is great and all, but we saw the addition of nine new franchises (ten if you include Mii Fighters) in Smash 4. I've been pining for some new Zelda, DK, Metroid, and Kirby characters for some time now, and since more people are familiar with the Kirby series than Golden Sun, I'd prefer to get Dee.

Just my two cents on the matter. I know Issac has gotten some rough treatment lately, so I wouldn't complain if he was chosen first.

Oh, so it isn't an online poll or something, it's just a post.

Well, I vote for Bandana Dee, Ridley, K.Rool, Magolor and Bewear.

And for third parties Bomberman, Leon from RE, Snake, Crash and Simon Belmont.
Sorry but voting ended about a day or two ago. However, you can help in settling the various ties in my poll as to not have characters sharing the same spot. Isaac vs Bandanna Dee was already decided upon as was Takamaru vs Dixie.

The last one for the Nintendo list dictates the bottom two spots in The Top 15. It is between three characters that got 6 votes each.

-Funky Kong
-Ribbon Girl
-Captain Toad

Vote for who you think deserves it the most and should be in the most. Winner gets #14 and runner up gets #15. Last one doesn't get on the list.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I vote Captain Toad and Ribbon Girl.

If I have to vote 1 then Ribbon Girl, pureley for her theme song.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry but voting ended about a day or two ago. However, you can help in settling the various ties in my poll as to not have characters sharing the same spot. Isaac vs Bandanna Dee was already decided upon as was Takamaru vs Dixie.

The last one for the Nintendo list dictates the bottom two spots in The Top 15. It is between three characters that got 6 votes each.

-Funky Kong
-Ribbon Girl
-Captain Toad

Vote for who you think deserves it the most and should be in the most. Winner gets #14 and runner up gets #15. Last one doesn't get on the list.
Of those I'd say Captain Toad has the best case for "deserving" to be in.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Anyway, here's my 10 most wanted Newcomers for Smash 5 that are possible, and are eligible for Smash

10). Alexandria Rovias- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (2002), Gamecube.

9). King K Rool- Donkey Kong Country (1994), SNES (Smash needs more baddies)

8). Doomguy/Doom Marine-DOOM (1993), SNES (This may be a bit of an oddball choice but let me explain. It would promote DOOM on the Switch, DOOM is a very well known and famous game, most people do know what DOOM is or have heard of it. Plus since DOOM is on the Switch, I am not sure that Bethesda will refuse. I know DOOM isn't that popular in Japan, but we got Sonic, and Sonic isn't that popular in Japan either, and the violence is an issue, but if Sakurai can tone down Snake, he can tone down Doomguy)

7). Impa- Legend of Zelda (1986), NES

6). Banjo & Kazooie, Banjo-Kazooie (1998), N64

5). Sylux- Metroid Prime Hunters (2006)- DS (He's more feasible then Ridley will ever be, whether the fanboys like it or not)

4). Leon Kennedy- Resident Evil 4 in the West/ Biohazard 4 in Japan (2005), Gamecube,( I know Leon technically originated in Resident Evil 2, but Resident Evil 4 was at one point a Gamecube exclusive, and is a well known franchise)

3). Shovel Knight- Shovel Knight (2014), Wii U.

2). Inklings- Splatoon (2015), Wii U.

1). Krystal- Star Fox: Adventures (2002), Gamecube

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I edited my previous post right as you posted this.

Importance has nothing to do with my decision. I'd just really like to see the existing franchises fleshed out a little more before we start adding more new ones. Golden Sun is great and all, but we saw the addition of nine new franchises (ten if you include Mii Fighters) in Smash 4. I've been pining for some new Zelda, DK, Metroid, and Kirby characters for some time now, and since more people are familiar with the Kirby series than Golden Sun, I'd prefer to get Dee.

Just my two cents on the matter. I know Issac has gotten some rough treatment lately, so I wouldn't complain if he was chosen first.
I see, fair enough.

Personally, since Smash is a culmination and celebration of all things Nintendo (with a few guests invited to the party), I'd love to see the roster reach across as many notable series as it can. Obviously the more prominent series should receive greater representation, but Golden Sun, Splatoon, ARMS, Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Takamaru, hell, even Labo (should it prove a success)? Throw em all in. Smash meshes worlds so well.

That, plus, I believe a lot of existing series have perfectly adequate, if not surplus, representation. Really the only outlier (imo) is DK. Metroid too, but I don't see a chance of that getting properly rectified with the missing character in question.

-Funky Kong
-Ribbon Girl
-Captain Toad

I'd also agree with Captain Toad.

I see, fair enough.

Personally, since Smash is a culmination and celebration of all things Nintendo (with a few guests invited to the party), I'd love to see the roster reach across as many notable series as it can. Obviously the more prominent series should receive greater representation, but Golden Sun, Splatoon, ARMS, Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Takamaru, hell, even Labo (should it prove a success)? Throw em all in. Smash meshes worlds so well.

That, plus, I believe a lot of existing series have perfectly adequate, if not surplus, representation. Really the only outlier (imo) is DK. Metroid too, but I don't see a chance of that getting properly rectified with the missing character in question.

I'd also agree with Captain Toad.
Can't forget Sin & Punishment and Elite Beat Agents, among others.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

-Funky Kong
-Ribbon Girl
-Captain Toad

lol, what is Funky doing there?
New meme character like Waluigi I suppose.

Yeah, I vote for Ribbon Girl.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
lol, what is Funky doing there?
New meme character like Waluigi I suppose.

Yeah, I vote for Ribbon Girl.
I have no idea why Waluigi is even a request, he's irrelevant in his own franchise and hasn't appeared in a main series Mario game. For all of the flak Krystal gets, at least she has appeared in a main series game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't forget Sin & Punishment and Elite Beat Agents, among others.
Well now it's a bit of a slippery slope in terms of merit. Personally after the five series I mentioned (ignoring Takamaru and Labo), there's a relatively steep drop before you reach the next tier of series in terms of impact. A S&P character would be hype and all, but then you're contesting with the entire D-tier (for lack of a better name): Custom Robo, Starfy, Chibi-Robo, Dillon, etc. Especially if you start including every one-off like EBA. That said, a lot of those characters would be cool.

Perhaps that seems a little antithetical to my last point, perhaps I didn't define the parameters well enough, but there does need to be a line in the sand somewhere. Though where that line is will ultimately be subjective I suppose.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I have no idea why Waluigi is even a request, he's irrelevant in his own franchise and hasn't appeared in a main series Mario game. For all of the flak Krystal gets, at least she has appeared in a main series game.
Because Waluigi time, Wah, crotch chop, Wa ha hee... yeah, mostly just memes.

Also, that dumb thing about having the 4 plumbers in the game, lol.

D

Deleted member

I don't like the mindset of adding characters because of their series, and I'd like to explain why
As we all know, King K. Rool is a very highly requested character. The reasons as to why people want him varies, but there are a handful of people who want him because they think DK needs more reps.
Now let's say Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, and Cranky Kong are all added in the next game. That would mean DK has 5 characters, so it wouldn't "need" more reps (Judging by their reaction to the Fire Emblem situation, I'm assuming that'd be the popular opinion), which means King K. Rool probably wouldn't mean anything to these people. Hell, they'd likely be angry if they added King K. Rool on top of all the Kongs.
My point is that characters should be looked at for their own merits, not the series they're from. I rest my case.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got curious about the shield beam so I looked at all 3 boss fights Galacta Knight has. Also figured I'd try to note what attacks he can take from his boss battles to give him a moveset in Smash
At 0:15 his forward and back dashes could be used for his rolls.
At 0:19 that horizontal slash is basically the first part of MK's ftilt so I could see GK having it on the same move. If not then jab.
At 0:22 that downward stab could be his dair and could be a stall and fall. Pretty sure MK actually has that dair in PM with a diagonal variant too.
At 0:43 I don't know if that move could be put into Smash. Maybe made smaller and it could be his fsmash? Has the vertical range of Palutena's usmash though if left unchanged.
At 0:51 I can see a smaller version of that attack being his nair.
At 1:03 there's his shield beam. Not sure what move that could be made to be. The obvious answer would be a special like neutral b or side b.
At 1:10 another potential fsmash given that it looks like it has the range of Gunner's fsmash. Could be made smaller to be a jab ala Zelda or possibly an ftilt.
At 1:20 I can't really see the enemy spawning making it into his moveset. It's not impossible seeing how Dedede spawns enemies with his side special and Bowser Jr. does the same with his down special but there's no real animation for it and GK goes off screen for it which would obviously have to be changed. Could be a Final Smash but it'd make for a pretty lame one unless it was overdone to basically be Brawl Dedede's Final Smash.
At 1:39 Mach Tornado just like what MK has. Interestingly enough, he only goes downwards and side to side with it which MK does for one of his customs.
At 1:54 there's his horizontal slash again but he does the rest of the move too and there's a beam that runs along the ground a bit. Could still be an ftilt or maybe an fsmash. For the latter, I'm thinking something like Cloud's fsmash but with a smaller weapon and a beam at the end.
At 2:14, basically Shuttle Loop al though it's more horizontal than vertical. Could be a side or up special and it could be like MK's horizontal up special custom.
At 2:23 I can see a smaller version of this being his dsmash although it would basically be the same as Megaman's soooo...
At 0:05 the gif I showed earlier but I can easily see a sped up version of this being his stage entry.
At 0:10 we get to see him run which could be his running animation if he doesn't glide like MK or could be his fast walking animation.
At 0:14 he blocks which could be his shielding animation. Right after that he does a 3 slash combo like his one from SSU but without the ground beam. Could be a jab or ftilt.
At 0:20 another potential nair. Basically MK's but on steroids and there's a ground beam upon landing.
At 0:41 an upward stab which could be his utilt. Basically the same as MK's though
At 0:50 the closest I can see this move being is a dsmash. Would make it stand out from Megaman's. Would have to be made smaller of course.
At 1:12 a potential Final Smash. Pattern for the blasts would likely have to be random though so players couldn't avoid it super easily.
At 1:21 a potential jab although it's basically MK's in Sm4sh except with a blade beam.
At 1:23 I can actually see that as a potential neutral special. Fires at an upward angle like Bayonetta's Bullet Climax so you wouldn't be able to camp too well with it except against bigger characters. Would be more suited for attacking airborne opponents. Right after he goes into the air and does the same attack angled downwards so it could function like that if done in the air or it could be like Bayonetta's side special and require an extra control stick movement to make it do that. Right after that he does a purely downward one that also shows that the beams reflect off of floors and presumably walls.
At 1:33 another potential Final Smash although it's basically a ripoff of PK Starstorm.
At 2:09 a potential dash attack where he lunges forward with a stab.
At 2:19 literally Brawl Shuttle Loop right there. Could be an up special if they bother to code in gliding again.
At 2:32 he lies on the ground so there's his 'animation' for when that happens in Smash face down anyways.
At 1:03 a potnetial neutral special or up special. It's Mach Tornado but he quickly goes up before going back down which would make it different from MK's which only slowly goes up if you mash b.
At 1:33 another potential Final Smash. I can see it working like Megaman's where if you enter the range of the vortex, you're taken into a cinematic where GK slashes the heck out of you before launching you.
At 2:52 another potnetial neutral or side special. seems to have slight homing properties since the third beam went up as Kirby jumped.

And that's all I could find out of those videos. Spent a longer time than I probably should have looking for a potential moveset for a character that most likely won't ever get in but I need something to keep me awake. And now to catch up on what I missed here!

Last edited:
Well now it's a bit of a slippery slope in terms of merit. Personally after the five series I mentioned (ignoring Takamaru and Labo), there's a relatively steep drop before you reach the next tier of series in terms of impact. A S&P character would be hype and all, but then you're contesting with the entire D-tier (for lack of a better name): Custom Robo, Starfy, Chibi-Robo, Dillon, etc. Especially if you start including every one-off like EBA. That said, a lot of those characters would be cool.

Perhaps that seems a little antithetical to my last point, perhaps I didn't define the parameters well enough, but there does need to be a line in the sand somewhere. Though where that line is will ultimately be subjective I suppose.
Oh I know. But some of those franchises have good history and are fairly beloved. At least Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, Chibi-Robo, and Elite Beat Agents. Especially if we eventually see a new Custom Robo. Or Elite Beat Agents 2. Or Sin & Punishment 3. Etc.

D

Deleted member

Because people like him and/or see potential in him.
Not everyone cares about credentials, lol.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Bandana Dee has had some pretty important roles.
  • Playable in Return to Dream Land and is pretty prominent in cutscenes, making him a main character
  • Playable in Rainbow Curse and has an important role in the final battle, giving him the "important secondary" role
  • Battle Royale, if you count it, also gives him a lot of important in its story, thus giving him the "important secondary" role once again
I don't see why being playable or significant to a game's plot makes you worthy candidate. There are plenty of characters that are considered "important" that don't make it into Super Smash Bros because very few people would be interested in their addition. Playable characters like Toad and plot significant characters like Andross.

Last edited:
Because people like him and/or see potential in him.
Not everyone cares about credentials, lol.
Credentials are kind of the reason certain characters get in whether members of the fanbase want to admit it or not. How iconic or relevant they are does play importance. Popularity only matters sometimes and even that is very little.

D

Deleted member

Credentials are kind of the reason certain characters get in whether members of the fanbase want to admit it or not. How iconic or relevant they are does play importance. Popularity only matters sometimes and even that is very little.
Ian was talking about want, not chance.
2 different things.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What people expect =/= What people want

Someone being likely or not doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you want it to happen.

What people expect =/= What people want

Someone being likely or not doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you want it to happen.
Oh I know, just wanted to state that though. There are many characters I would want that aren't likely relevant or pushed enough. And there are certainly characters the are likely that I personally wouldn't want.

Both Ribbon Girl and Captain Toad are tied at 2-2 in this tiebreaker. The next person to pick decides who #14 is on the list.

D

Deleted member

I really don't understand why people are calling Waluigi a dumb choice when Sakurai considered that irrelevant wooden puppet that only appeared in one game over 20 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't see why being playable or significant to a game's plot makes you worthy candidate. There are plenty of characters that are considered "important" that don't make it into Super Smash Bros because very few people would be interested in their addition. Playable characters like Toad and plot significant characters like Andross.
Instead of looking at the uncommon exception, look at the characters included, and tell me how many are unimportant to their series.

Two? Three?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I will not speak much about characters's chances during this speculation period considering how wrong the community always is about them.

" A DK newcomer is a shoo-in!"

*Game launches*

"OK, K.Rool is definitely a super secret unlockable!"

*DLC is confirmed*

"K. Rool is coming!"

*K. Rool costume is revealed*

"This raises K.Rool's chances because they would not make him just a costume! Right?"

*Ballot results*

"WTF! Bayonetta?!!"

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And the winner was of course the popular Mimikyu, Pikachu would be so proud. The other forms of Lycanroc made it a decently popular choices. Although it seems neither much are interested in fellow Mysticals Tapu Coco nor Magearna.

Next up is the semi-final Gen 7 poll, which includes two recent mystical additions (One being a Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon exclusive). Your picks are Zeraora, Marshadow, Kommo-o, and Salazzle.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Won't be long until the Ultra Beasts.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Instead of looking at the uncommon exception, look at the characters included, and tell me how many are unimportant to their series.

Two? Three?
Less than that I’d say. Especially considering that you could really only say that about some of the Pokémon and even then they’re the more popular Pokémon in the game. Fire Emblem? They’re all important to their own games. Dark Pit? Pretty important to Uprising. Dr. Mario has his own series. R.O.B. Is the only real character that fits that bill I think and he’s just another story altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom