• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ignoring echos, we've got 4 unique characters so far. We'd need another 8 to match Smash 64's amount of newcomers. I don't quite see that happening but if I'm wrong, I wanna be wrong and happy.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
One question on Dr. Luigi

Original with cloth cap from Dr. Luigi or professional with mirror from Dr. Mario Miracle Cure?
Mirror pleaseeeee
lol it just bothered me too much Dr. Luigi's design on the Wii U, it just felt wrong. Miracle Cure did it so well

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ignoring echos, we've got 4 unique characters so far. We'd need another 8 to match Smash 64's amount of newcomers. I don't quite see that happening but if I'm wrong, I wanna be wrong and happy.
Remember that Melee only got 8 unique newcomers. 6 clones (so many clones that the CSS revolved around them)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sega: Kiryu-chan/Goro Majima
Activision: Crash
Microsoft: Master Chief/Fulgore
Capcom: Dante/Vergil
Namco: Nightmare/Artorias/Alisa
Square: Kefka/Noctis
Bethesda: Doom Slayer
WB: Scorpion
Ubisoft: Ezio/Sam Fisher
Konami: Raiden/Alucard
EA: Titanfall Pilot
Sony: Ratchet & Clank
KT: Ryu Hayabusa
SNK: Kula/Geese
ArcSys: Orie/Slayer/Azrael

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I feel like if we did get an "indie representative" Shantae is by far the most likely.

Now hold up, here me out, Shantae is actually a classic character and dare I say the original indie character. She debuted way waaaaay back on the Gameboy Color, published by Capcom, but almost 100% made by Matt Bozan and friends. On top of that she's still relevant and incredibly popular. If there's a character from an indie developer that's going to be playable it's going to be Shantae. I'm incredibly confident in that.

And I'd be completely cool with that. Shantae has some damn fun games.
I can't help but think the Smash fanbase has a strange idea of what indie games are. Shantae's games are fun and she's a popular Smash pick, but to say that she's the original indie character when creators have been self-publishing games for decades is just crazy, and her games don't sell nearly as well as a lot of other high-profile indies.

Not that I think people should be very concerned with the idea of an "indie rep" because that is just an arbitrary classification, and I doubt Sakrai really cares whether or not the games these characters come from are self-funded/published or whatever. But people still impose totally baseless rules on their own speculation by saying that we can only have one indie character and not another, or that if Shovel Knight was more successful then no other indie could be playable. It's just kinda dumb to even talk about indies as if they were a series that could be represented by one thing.

TLDR: Shantae would be neat, smash fans lack perspective on indies, and indie rep is a dumb term.

D

Deleted member

I'll take your "Kiryus" and your "Jokers" and your other SEGA characters, and raise you one character we truly need.

Segata Mother****in' Sanshiro

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember that Melee only got 8 unique newcomers. 6 clones (so many clones that the CSS revolved around them)
With that logic, 4 more unique fighters seems more plausible. We'll probably beat that number of clones too as we're on 4 as well.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I feel like if we did get an "indie representative" Shantae is by far the most likely.

Now hold up, here me out, Shantae is actually a classic character and dare I say the original indie character. She debuted way waaaaay back on the Gameboy Color, published by Capcom, but almost 100% made by Matt Bozan and friends. On top of that she's still relevant and incredibly popular. If there's a character from an indie developer that's going to be playable it's going to be Shantae. I'm incredibly confident in that.

And I'd be completely cool with that. Shantae has some damn fun games.
This hurts me a lot but i'm gonna have to disagree with you.

Shantae is one the first indies in existence, but Quote is THE indie guy himself, Shovel Knight is more of a passing trend.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Curious, if every third party got only one more unique rep (can include Konami despite Simon), who would you want it to be? You can include third parties not in yet (as well as deconfirmed characters).

Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Joker (Sorry Sonic series, but I'd like more series if I had to pick)
Capcom: Dante
Bandai Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Sora (I know it's technically Disney)
Microsoft: Banjo & Kazooie

Some companies I have a lot more difficult time coming up with possibilities than others. Also, apologies if I made any glaring errors, as I'm basing it off a list
made previously doing research.
Konami: I'm sticking with Simon and Richter for now.
SEGA: TAILS!!!!
Capcom
: Amaterasu
Namco: Ivy. Ok, fine Nightmare would work too
Squeenix: ...? I really don't know Squeenix
Other - Bethesda: Dovahkiin.

EDIT: oops, posted too early

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I'd love it, and kind hope Sakurai surprises us, my bet is four more unique newcomers, four more echoes, owing to his statement not to expect too many newcomers. Which makes sense that he prioritized bringing everyone back, treating veterans as newcomers ups our total to what it typically is.

Iridium

Smash Hero
wow if he actually had tried to pass them as artwork for the illustration he could maybe have had a bit more success. they don't look as awful they looked in the hoax but they look too 2D
Ken's render is just too goofy to pass up!

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
A passing trend for 5 years now, sure.
>Passing trend
>Has lasted over 4 years now and is still relevant

U wot, m8?
The hype surrounding him will cool off, eventually
He's kind of like The Simpsons, still makes alot of noice from all these indie crossovers and stuff, but he still only has one game and a few expansions.
Not saying that i dislike him pls no hate

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'll take your "Kiryus" and your "Jokers" and your other SEGA characters, and raise you one character we truly need.

Segata Sanshiro actually got called out when Sakurai and Chrom's Seiyuu were discussing Mii Fighters. Along with Spongebob and Goku.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I mean, Kiryu is just Segata but he's associated with crimes and stuff.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He's kind of like The Simpsons, still makes alot of noice from all these indie crossovers and stuff, but he still only has one game and a few expansions.
Yep, I'm sure it will.
Just as it did 4 years ago.
Ah wait...

...it hasn't. And that's a pretty broad assumption. Without even getting into your Simpsons comparison.
He's only growing more relevant. Certainly more than Shantae.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I mean, you've gotta give him time to have a sequel before you can say that.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Shantae might be older, but she has only been relevant for at most half of that time and that's pretty generous.

Curious, if every third party got only one more unique rep (can include Konami despite Simon), who would you want it to be? You can include third parties not in yet (as well as deconfirmed characters).

Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Joker (Sorry Sonic series, but I'd like more series if I had to pick)
Capcom: Dante
Bandai Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Sora (I know it's technically Disney)
Microsoft: Banjo & Kazooie

Some companies I have a lot more difficult time coming up with possibilities than others. Also, apologies if I made any glaring errors, as I'm basing it off a list I made previously doing research.
Konami: Frogger
Sega: Shadow (no sega Pick I care for)
Capcom: Nemesis (Resident Evil)
Bandai Namco: Agumon
Square Enix: Bub/Bob (Bubble Bobble)
Yacht Club Games: Shovel Knight

And for other studios
Microsoft: Steve (Minecraft)
Activision Blizzard: Tracer (Overwatch)
Ubisoft: Heroes of Might and Magic Necromancer (Sandro)
NetherRealm Studios: Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
wow if he actually had tried to pass them as artwork for the illustration he could maybe have had a bit more success. they don't look as awful they looked in the hoax but they look too 2D
Yeah the images didn't really hold up to me. i wasn't aware we was still entertaining this "leak"

Especially if you compare Sonic's model to Shadow's. The Shadow render is missing the small fine hair textures along his body that sonic had.

Iridium

Smash Hero

He made for some interesting commercials, from what I've seen. But I've seen weirder, like this:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Yep, I'm sure it will.
Just as it did 4 years ago.
Ah wait...

...it hasn't. And that's a pretty broad assumption. Without even getting into your Simpsons comparison.
He's only growing more relevant. Certainly more than Shantae.
I mean, you've gotta give him time to have a sequel before you can say that.
Oh well, can't argue against that. I'll admit that Yacht Club did a good job with his character to use the hype sorrounding him to keep the momentum and make him an even bigger deal than Shantae...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm guessing none. Nuts & Bolts was just an absolute disaster that downright killed the Banjo-Kazooie series as a whole.
Klungo's stupid game. Which, in a way, feels more genuine than most of the rest of N&B.

I mean, Kiryu is just Segata but he's associated with crimes and stuff.
And he still does outlandish things, like beating the crap out of tigers.

Last edited:

Chrono.

By next April, Shovel Knight will technically have two games as Showdown will be sold as it's own standalone title (despite being also technically another expansion.)

Or does that also apply to all the expansions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom