• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And which of those arguments did you bring up?

A good solid none, sir. My point in regards to your lack of an argument still stands.

Also, SEGA has clarified that Boom Sonic and Modern Sonic are two separate entities. The one Smash is Modern Sonic. There's no way he'd be given his Boom design.

Everyone expected Ghost Adventures Pac-Man. The fact that he wasn't was a surprise. But not one to set a precedent, especially since Bandai Namco is really friendly with Nintendo right now.

Solid Snake is most likely the design Kojima gave Sakurai to use. The only references to MGS4 is the entirety of Brawl are the Gekkos and 1 song. The rest of it is heavily MGS1/2/3 focused.

And what about the first parties? First parties are handled differently from third parties. Not the same circumstances, here.

No, you're fine. You didn't come off as rude.

And that is a good point.
Mam*, but it's all good.

I hope I don't sound offensive but it does sound to me like you're stretching the goalposts.

Sakurai made sure to get this specific old design of Pac-Man. The one the audience grew up with. From a marketing standpoint, it should have been Ghost Adventures. Friendly or not, companies still would expect advertisement from their character appearing in Smash Bros.
Sakurai could've chosen any Snake design he wanted. The Snake design that was chosen was not the one from MGS4. The rest of your argument isn't really relevant because we are solely discussing the characters design. It could've been updated for Ultimate, though it was not.

Can't really argue with the Sonic point, but I stand by my two others. And there isn't enough to go off of for 3rd parties to say much for the other direction, in my eyes.

Each character has their most "iconic" designs. It isn't based off of relevance, as we've learned from Snake and Pac-Man, but on other factors that one would think have to do with the best-received, most memorable designs of these characters.

And I think the fact that the thread has been debating with you about why they WON'T use Nuts and Bolts Banjo and Kazooie shows why Sakurai may be a bit hesitant to use a design for the sake of being "recent"...as in, like, 2007 recent. Remember this game came out like 10 years ago and Microsoft has not utilized these characters beyond Sonic Racing since.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, at least in Diddy and Donkey's case, they're pretty much real animals in human clothing. Banjo is anthropomorphized and far more cartoonish then the almost-realistic apes.

And Bowser Jr. doesn't make animal noises.
Isn't K.Rool also using realistic animal noises despite also being anthropomorphised and cartoony?

And yeah, Bowser jr having his own voice while Bowser doesn't actually makes it worse...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Imagining my boi sounding like a real dinosaur...

Well, "real dinosaur" in quotes...
Although he didn’t sound like it, he certainly acted like it before Smash 4.

Smash 4 gave him a more up to date character which is why he was revealed later, although during the beginning of Smash 4 speculation there were people who legitimately thought he was cut.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So yeah, his design will be fine since Pac, Simon, Mega, and K. Rool all have their classic looks.

My real fear for Banjo is if he and Kazooie will have realistic bear & bird sounds.

Especially considering this is Sakurai we’re talking about being the same guy who still refuses to give DK, Diddy, and Bowser their game voices.

Hell, even if they do get voices, will Chris Sutherland even show up?
He probably would’ve been subtle about it on Twitter. (if he has one)
I'd just be happy B&K get in, and while I'd love his signature voice, take whatever Sakurai thinks is best. Also, I haven't been stalking Sutherland and Mayles on twitter for the past month... (preliminary research found no hints, but Sutherland rarely posts).
Banjo has a voice actor?

Though, I wonder, what would Banjo even sound like in Smash when he attacks and gets hit.
GU-HUH! AWWW-OWWW! WOAAAAH!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well that assumes it's actually out by then.
What?
Nintendo Switch Online launches this month. Smash Ultimate comes out about three months in its service. Of course it's gonna be online, they're gonna have to do it for stress tests on their servers anyway days before launch I think.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Although he didn’t sound like it, he certainly acted like it before Smash 4.

Smash 4 gave him a more up to date character which is why he was revealed later, although during the beginning of Smash 4 speculation there were people who legitimately thought he was cut.
"Hmm, I know facts about Yoshi's history in Smash. Wait till this guy I'm talking too hears thi--"

*sees they're talking to Zinith*

".........................oh, nvm"

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What?
Nintendo Switch Online launches this month. Smash Ultimate comes out about three months in its service. Of course it's gonna be online, they're gonna have to do it for stress tests on their servers anyway days before launch I think.
Was having a jest because of how weirdly Nintendo's been advertising and delaying the online.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't get why these pieces of 2d character art (that are less convicing than any of Smashified's character art) that are being passed off as 3D models have gotten so much traction, but whatever.

Banjo seems like a character Sakurai might want to add, but Nintendo would interfere, though they have been more friendly with Microsoft recently, so it might be more likely now. Either way, I personally think if he's getting in at all it will be through DLC.

If he does get in the base game then Sakurai is a mad man.

Imagine trying to work with Nintendo, Bandi Namco, Sega, Capcom, Capcom U.S.A. Konami, Square Enix AND Microsoft all at once for this massive game. Like Jesus Christ man, Sakurai will prove himself as being a god if that is the case.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Nintendo? Having trouble with online gaming? Pe-leaaaase. I'm sure they're just getting a massive launch ready for it

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Was having a jest because of how weirdly Nintendo's been advertising and delaying the online.
What gets me about the online is the weird feature of "Oh, you can do NES games online!" Like what? What co-op NES games are we playing online?

You guys wanna play Wii Sports before Wii Sports?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
We should have 71 fighter specific blog posts by the end, not counting any additional characters. Pointless information but I thought I should say it anyway.
We got like....14weeks?? and i think we get like 2-3 chars a week in blog updates so yeah.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What gets me about the online is the weird feature of "Oh, you can do NES games online!" Like what? What co-op NES games are we playing online?

You guys wanna play Wii Sports before Wii Sports?
To put in perspective how poorly Nintendo is advertising this thing, I was under the impression you just got free NES games. Nothing about them being online.
So if you guys wanna play me in the original Mario Bros., then well, I guess that's a thing we can do, then, apparently, thanks Nintendo?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't get why these pieces of 2d character art (that are less convicing than any of Smashified's character art) that are being passed off as 3D models have gotten so much traction, but whatever.

Banjo seems like a character Sakurai might want to add, but Nintendo would interfere, though they have been more friendly with Microsoft recently, so it might be more likely now. Either way, I personally think if he's getting in at all it will be through DLC.

Imagine trying to work with Nintendo, Bandi Namco, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix AND Microsoft all at once for this massive game. Like Jesus Christ man, Sakurai will prove himself as being a god if that is the case.
While I go back and forth on what I think B&K's chances are, whether or not they're in, it's already been firmly established that Sakurai is indeed a mad man.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
But that's like 300 + 20 more dollars tho :redface: unless you never planned to buy online in the first place which is the best option
Worth it, lol.

Modding Smash is my lifeblood.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Imagine trying to work with Nintendo, Bandi Namco, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix AND Microsoft all at once for this massive game. Like Jesus Christ man, Sakurai will prove himself as being a god if that is the case.
Sakurai's already proved he's a video game God, what he's doing with Ultimate is ascending past gaming God-hood.
Or in other words...

7117bd32f55deacb1115e98e58d15d88--memes-super.jpg

AND THIS...IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Imagine trying to work with Nintendo, Bandi Namco, Sega, Capcom, Capcom U.S.A. Konami, Square Enix AND Microsoft all at once for this massive game. Like Jesus Christ man, Sakurai will prove himself as being a god if that is the case.
He's already proved that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Kind of a random thought for me to share, but I really hope that there's some more online with anyone rules at play and that they're better enforced.

Smash 4 addressed a few issues that utterly plagued Brawl's online, but it still hasn't stopped frequent taunt parties from showing up in For Fun. Hell, I even still see them on For Glory matches on occasion, even though there's so little else to do in FG if you're not actually fighting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Worth it, lol.
IDK man I'm no tech genius man I feel like they're gonna have some way to track your IP or the method of payment back to you if you do it again.
unless nobody's thought of that yet and i'm suddenly bill gates 2.0

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Mam*, but it's all good.

I hope I don't sound offensive but it does sound to me like you're stretching the goalposts.

Sakurai made sure to get this specific old design of Pac-Man. The one the audience grew up with. From a marketing standpoint, it should have been Ghost Adventures. Friendly or not, companies still would expect advertisement from their character appearing in Smash Bros.
Sakurai could've chosen any Snake design he wanted. The Snake design that was chosen was not the one from MGS4. The rest of your argument isn't really relevant because we are solely discussing the characters design. It could've been updated for Ultimate, though it was not.

Can't really argue with the Sonic point, but I stand by my two others. And there isn't enough to go off of for 3rd parties to say much for the other direction, in my eyes.

Each character has their most "iconic" designs. It isn't based off of relevance, as we've learned from Snake and Pac-Man, but on other factors that one would think have to do with the best-received, most memorable designs of these characters.

And I think the fact that the thread has been debating with you about why they WON'T use Nuts and Bolts Banjo and Kazooie shows why Sakurai may be a bit hesitant to use a design for the sake of being "recent"...as in, like, 2007 recent. Remember this game came out like 10 years ago and Microsoft has not utilized these characters beyond Sonic Racing since.
Now this is the sort of response I was expecting. I wasn't trying to stretch goalposts, so I'm sorry if that's how that appeared.

Pac-Man's design was surely intentional. God knows no one wanted that Ghostly Adventures appaerance. But it didn't seem like something that would set a precedent for future characters.

The rest of your statement is perfectly sound and I won't waste your time any further by debating it.

Though, I want people to prepare themselves just in case. We had to warn people ahead of time, in case we got Pac-Man in Smash, to be ready for a truly hideous character design. We were pleasantly surprised and relieved.

The same must now apply to Banjo. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You missed a Banjo-Kazooie render. Still not found or proven fake yet.
I think you quoted the wrong guy, Nether.
>think "dang even if black shadow comes low he'd still show up"
>doesn't even show up
View attachment 161106

Then who the hell did I vote for?
Black Shadow got two votes, which means he came below 60th Place, where I ended the ranking, there were about 140 more votes beyond that point, most of them 1 votes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What the heck happened? I went away to game for just a few hours and there's so many pages?

Lowdown?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
IDK man I'm no tech genius man I feel like they're gonna have some way to track your IP or the
There’s always a way in the world of coding. Just depends on the determination and experience of the hacker/coder/modder.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now this is the sort of response I was expecting. I wasn't trying to stretch goalposts, so I'm sorry if that's how that appeared.

Pac-Man's design was surely intentional. God knows no one wanted that Ghostly Adventures appaerance. But it didn't seem like something that would set a precedent for future characters.

The rest of your statement is perfectly sound and I won't waste your time any further by debating it.

Though, I want people to prepare themselves just in case. We had to warn people ahead of time, in case we got Pac-Man in Smash, to be ready for a truly hideous character design. We were pleasantly surprised and relieved.

The same must now apply to Banjo. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Yep, your statement makes sense as well!

Always good to at least envision the worst case scenario in some cases. Even though BK getting in would just be an absolute dream regardless of design for me, lmao.

But yeah, good debate here, and it looks like we'll just have to see what happens.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yep, your statement makes sense as well!

Always good to at least envision the worst case scenario in some cases. Even though BK getting in would just be an absolute dream regardless of design for me, lmao.

But yeah, good debate here, and it looks like we'll just have to see what happens.
This sort of end to a debate is why this forum is so cool to me. Being all responsible and ****. Meanwhile, poor Blizzard can’t tell whether people even like Overwatch anymore.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What the heck happened? I went away to game for just a few hours and there's so many pages?

Lowdown?
This. And This

EDIT: For more context the first had to be color corrected because the background was too dark to actually see it. IDK where the better quality render came from and Idk where the first one was even spotted. I THINK 4chan

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This sort of end to a debate is why this forum is so cool to me. Being all responsible and ****. Meanwhile, poor Blizzard can’t tell whether people even like Overwatch anymore.
Way back in the day, I ended my debates on this site as arguments, venomously and all nasty. That's why I try to always hear people out and understand their POV, because really, we're all coming together because we're passionate for this game and we've all got opinions and wishes. It's always good to share them with others to discuss how both you and they feel.

And, yeah, I miss Overwatch...

D

Deleted member

I don't know if anyone else has spotted this, but I remember someone finding out that there's been a bit of a pattern, when it comes to new music drops every Tuesday.

Zelda, Street Fighter, Metroid, Splatoon, Snipperclips
Kirby, Mega Man, Metal Gear, F-Zero, Galaga
Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, ???

So maybe we'll get something out of left field in a few days? Or maybe it's just a coincidence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom