• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Smash is a fighting game. Generally what people care the most about in fighting games are characters. Just because people talk about characters it doesn't mean they don't care for anything else, but talking about if Smash Run will return or not is not as interesting or as fun to talk about as brand new characters from your childhood joining the roster.
Smash has every character to ever appear in the series and just added a lot of highly requested newcomers. You can not say you care a lot about the characters and simply ignore this.
im not sure how you think "a different looking missile" brings more to the table than what dark samus could actually do but whatever
The fact that she's in the game at all brings a lot more to the table than if she was not.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The day after Sakurai's famitsu article detailing the ballot and the mii costumes and new additions.... Verge says there's a square rep coming....

If this isnt obviously hes just making safe guesses like... 95% of this board is anticipating Geno.

I'm not convinced in the slightest.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i guess a better way to put this is that i'm being extremely careful with how i view ultimate because smash 4 burned me badly. i really dont want that to happen again

D

Deleted member

im not sure how you think "a different looking missile" brings more to the table than what dark samus could actually do but whatever
That is not what I am saying.

I am saying that yes, newcomers that are not echos can offer more than echos due to having a unique moveset, but they still are a new member.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Smash is a fighting game. Generally what people care the most about in fighting games are characters. Just because people talk about characters it doesn't mean they don't care for anything else, but talking about if Smash Run will return or not is not as interesting or as fun to talk about as brand new characters from your childhood joining the roster.
Yeah I know that.

But dismissing a game just because one of your favorites isn't in just seems like a poor decision for me.

My heart broke when both Ridley and Snake weren't included in Smash 4 but in the end I enjoyed the game and the money I payed for it was well spent.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Snake was not a safe call. Ridley was not a safe call. Simon, who was only claimed by well-known bull-****ter stealth, was not a safe call.
If emily rogers and restera staff didnt hint no cuts prior to verge.... Maybe. But that was a hot rumor to start off with.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In an interview, Bill Trinen referred to new characters like Bayonetta, Cloud, and the Xenoblade characters, which seems to hint that this game will have more than one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90huit/did_bill_trinen_just_slip_up_and_reveal_that/
And it seems to be hinting at playable characters due to being in the same sentence as Bayonetta and Cloud, so non-playable Xenoblade characters (like Riki, Dunban, Metal Face and...sigh...Fiora :( ) aren’t counted.

If I had to make a safe guess it would be Elma, since X released in Japan in April-May 2015, when the ballot began, and would be just in time for the finalized roster. Plus, the mech figurine Sakurai bought may be reference material for a Skell. It’s unlikely Rex & Pyra will make the base roster, they’re most likely to be DLC, and making Rex an Echo would be a waste since he has his own unique moves in XB2.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Smash has every character to ever appear in the series and just added a lot of highly requested newcomers. You can not say you care a lot about the characters and simply ignore this.
I'm not? I've stated multiple times ever since E3 I'm perfectly content and happy with the roster. Does that mean there are no more characters I want? Absolutely not. A very large chunk of Smash speculation is talking about characters. I doubt a lot of people would even be here if they banned character discussion and all you could talk about were modes.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The day after Sakurai's famitsu article detailing the ballot and the mii costumes and new additions.... Verge says there's a square rep coming....

If this isnt obviously hes just making safe guesses like... 95% of this board is anticipating Geno.

Ok, like, you don't have to believe everything Verge says, but he did undeniably get a lot of hard stuff right, stuff you wouldn't know without insider information or a lot of luck.

But here's the thing: He probably has a lot of sources, a lot of potentially lying sources too. Geno IS a very safe bet, yes, but that interview probably confirmed something his source said to him and made him believe it enough to share it now, since he's shared a lot of untrue information before.

He should be believed with a grain of salt, but if you don't think he has insider information at this point, it's pretty much denial like others have said.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
The amount of content Ultimate has should make the game atleast 80 dollars

I don't see how one looks only at the newcomers when thinking of buying the game.

There is so much other stuff in the game that is just Sakurai rewarding us as if we've all funded the game for years or somethin'

And yet here we are with a price tag that's way off when putting it next to the manhours Ultimate took in it's development.
QUIET they might hear you. LOL

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The amount of content Ultimate has should make the game atleast 80 dollars

I don't see how one looks only at the newcomers when thinking of buying the game.

There is so much other stuff in the game that is just Sakurai rewarding us as if we've all funded the game for years or somethin'

And yet here we are with a price tag that's way off when putting it next to the manhours Ultimate took in it's development.

Adding to the fact that there is MORE coming!

Seriously, there is a possibility for anything to happen at this point. We can imagine Sakurai trolling us and bam he reveals a ton more characters he has let on yet, or we could just get 3 or so more newcomers.

Point is, regardless of what happens, getting 5 or 15 more newcomers doesn't change the fact that the roster has the greatest fighting game roster of all time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People need to realize that "Ridley in Smash" was in the same "automatically fake leak" tier as Localized Mother 3 prior to his reveal. To call Ridley a safe bet is serious revisionism.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
So let's see...

We've possibly got...
Skull Kid
Gen 7 Pokken that isn't Owliver Queen or Diamond Dog
Square Enix character
The three characters from that one leak that gets this thread into a frothing rage when it's mentioned (GardevoirGothitelleMario2)
Dante (unless DMC leaker is trolling Smash community)
Shantae (if that free DLC meant anything)
Another Xenoblade character (if that slip of the tounge meant anything)

Any I missed?
Loz18 was saying that probably Isaac was in.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yeah I know that.

But dismissing a game just because one of your favorites isn't in just seems like a poor decision for me.

My heart broke when both Ridley and Snake weren't included in Smash 4 but in the end I enjoyed the game and the money I payed for it was well spent.
Oh that's an entirely different discussion from what I'm talking about. I thought Smash 4's newcomer roster was really bad for me personally, but I still bought and enjoyed the game.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Reggie even stated that LoZ18 and Verge and most of 4chan and gamefaqs were all fake news and they were actively trying to impeach the president of nintendo america for their own agendas.

I believe Reggie as he's trying to make Smash speculation great again.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

Explain this flaw in your logic: If it's so easy to make safe guesses based off of a little reasoning, why is Verge, someone who has leaked correct info for games multiple times in the past, coincidentally basically one of the only leakers still standing after the last Direct in spite of literally hundreds of fake 4chan leaks trying to do the exact same thing?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
People need to realize that "Ridley in Smash" was in the same "automatically fake leak" tier as Localized Mother 3 prior to his reveal. To call Ridley a safe bet is serious revisionism.
A little louder for the deaf and ear impaired....

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Reggie even stated that LoZ18 and Verge and most of 4chan and gamefaqs were all fake news and they were actively trying to impeach the president of nintendo america for their own agendas.

Thank you Eren. Very cool!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Well yeah,

if Reggie were to say that the leakers were right he'd probably fire himself

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ok, like, you don't have to believe everything Verge says, but he did undeniably get a lot of hard stuff right, stuff you wouldn't know without insider information or a lot of luck.

But here's the thing: He probably has a lot of sources, a lot of potentially lying sources too. Geno IS a very safe bet, yes, but that interview probably confirmed something his source said to him and made him believe it enough to share it now, since he's shared a lot of untrue information before.

He should be believed with a grain of salt, but if you don't think he has insider information at this point, it's pretty much denial like others have said.
This is basically how I go about believing Vergeben. Like his first source was definitely correct. Past that? He uses way too many to track and I'm not sure which to believe so yea I'll believe it when I see it.

I think he did claim his Square source was the same as his original...correct me on that.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's like people forgot Sakurai said Ridley wouldn't work twice before. I always believed he could change his mind, which he did, but to say Ridley was a safe guess is absolutely laughable.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but anybody expecting a reveal of any sort in a Nindies Showcase is setting themselves up for a nasty disappointment.​

D

Deleted member

Leakers in general cause controversy. :/
I can confirm this. During Smash 4's days, I thought Ridley would never be in Smash because Sakurai said he was "too big".
Oh how glad I am that he is here now.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Do we consider the Koopalings or Alph as newcomers ? The announcer says their name as well. They are carbon clones and was never playable too! Guys we actually had 8 more newcomers in Smash 4! I think not. Echoes are not only share the same number with their character but also can be toggled to switch between them. If we would have recieved Ridley and K. Rool as the only unique fighters and had 10 echo fighters; people would definitely be disappointed. Sakurai decided to make them have the same number and the option for them to not even take a spot in the CSS. Treat them like clones, glorified alts or how you like. I would like them to be 1:1 gameplay wise as it only takes a minor change for them to be better.:ultdarksamus:

They're newcomers to me, but that doesn't really say much about freshness and it's clear they're treated differently from characters like RIdley, Snake, K.K Rool. It's pretty much semantics and people taking Omega Tyrant post dramatically.

I do enjoy Chrom and Darl Samus models. They are dessert.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
i guess a better way to put this is that i'm being extremely careful with how i view ultimate because smash 4 burned me badly. i really dont want that to happen again
I mean i went into this expecting getting nearly nothing after Ridley cause that's what I really expected, and the fact people are saying if the game was released as is, with all the content it's gotten, they'd still see it as disappointment, is maddening to me.

Well yeah,

if Reggie were to say that the leakers were right he'd probably fire himself
I think he was just jokingw

Last edited:

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Every time I see the vs loading screens with the little fire spark particles coming from the bottom I get some Tekken 7 vibes off of it :3

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Honestly, it really just seems like he forgot Shulk's name but was in too deep to change it.
You think Reggie smacked him for that?
Reggie: Bill come to my office please.
Bill: Sure * walks in* Whats up?
Reggie: Close the door.
Bill ok..... *closes door , sits down on a chair in front of reggie*
Reggie: Bill, how long have we known each other?
Bill: well -
Reggie: - nevermind about that ummm why are you trying to destroy this company?

LOL xD if anyone wants to add on.

Or even better Sakurai.
Sakurai: Bill-son come here please.
Bill : * goes to sakurai*
Sakurai: HOW DARE YOU MESS UP ON GIVING OUT INFORMATION TO MY GAME! *smacks*

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Explain this flaw in your logic: If it's so easy to make safe guesses based off of a little reasoning, why is Verge, someone who has leaked correct info for games multiple times in the past, coincidentally basically one of the only leakers still standing after the last Direct in spite of literally hundreds of fake 4chan leaks trying to do the exact same thing?
Fake news

Everyone ignores what he gets wrong and he writes it off as a different and unreliable source.

The sheep believe him and continue to held him up on a pedestal.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
veggieburger seems to be the only one who has any correct information, but even then i'm not certain he's telling the truth. i dunno, most of the characters he's said are probably going to get in

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The facts of verge's leak is his correct stuff is either highly likely or previously leaked from another noteable leaker.

He has yet to deliver a "leak" that is originally his or unsafe.

I'm not in denial. Im looking at it objectively.

Its you with the confirmation bias, my friend.
If Vergeben was simply jumping on what other leakers were claiming and guessing the holes, he most probably would have gotten something wrong at this point in his Smash information from jumping on the wrong "leak"; how many of the hundreds of "leaks" have we seen that piggybacked off of existing known rumors and are still alive today? Stealth himself is also someone with very dubious credibility as people prior in the thread pointed out, trying to "piggyback" off any claim of his as a public leaker would be foolish.

Additionally, leakers with legitimate information will have information that is naturally corrobated with each other, the game they're leaking has the same content so they'll have the same information, with maybe different pieces of it if none of them know the whole picture.

For one more point, with his Smash information Vergeben has always been all in on what he claimed would be in, always definitively stating they will happen when asked and never backing down. This is particularly notable with Ridley, as the ResetEra mods, where the Ridley rumor originated, pussyfooted about in regards to whether Ridley was in or not and eventually made a sorta-official statement that they believed their source on Ridley wasn't credible, while Vergeben just continued to double down that Ridley would be playable from first claiming he's in all the way up to Ridley's official reveal.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Loz18 doesn't count, but my sources are also saying Isaac. He's using his superior Dark Dawn design.
I know that Loz18 lost some credibility, but I think still worth mention it.

also, are you serious? I don't wanna get my hope up again xD I really like his mature design a lot actually. But that would make me question a possibly Felix echo (but maybe a Matthew alt?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom