• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Get ready to expect more than 1 Xenoblade newcomer for the next Smash if Sakurai returns working on it. :awesome:

Which I wouldn't complain at all.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Get ready to expect more than 1 Xenoblade newcomer for the next Smash if Sakurai returns working on it. :awesome:

inb4 others are like "too much Xenoblade, give us K. Rook already" :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes! Now Rex is definitely in Smash for Switch! What will his move-set be? Rex is not just some "bland sword fighter". Fire Emblem characters are not bland sword fighters either my people.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly, that was something Nintendo made an error on with MK8. It should've forced default Miis in that case.
But if you're forced to use the default Miis, they'll always be treated as medium-sized characters.

Pikachu would have been top tier if custom moves were allowed. Some were extremely uselss ( Jigglypuff's Spinphony is literally a joke ) and some are kind of over-powered in a bit ( Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash being almost a kill confirm which can kill at somewhat low percents even, by using up air to that move ). It is also a really good recovery option. Source is here ( ESAM Video ).

Either way, custom moves are good for casual. I do agree that the competitive scene should either try it out or the developer ( hopefully Sakurai ) will fix the custom move-sets to make them more viable.
Yeah it's true that some custom special moves are just too good to not use. For one example, Charizard's Dragon Rush is far less risky to use than Flare Blitz, despite having no heavy armor, and being less damaging overall; you don't have to worry about any damage penalties when using it. Similarly, Wizard's Dropkick improves Ganondorf's normally poor recovery, despite being less powerful than Wizard's Foot.

In terms of the bad custom special moves though, Spinphony isn't the only impractical custom special move out there. Warlock Thrust is also up there for being among the worst custom special moves, as the sweetspot KOs later than even Ganondorf's weakest standard attacks (the attack's KBG is just too low), and the ending lag is longer than that of Warlock Punch. Likewise, Wizard's Assault has no real advantage over Wizard's Foot and Wizard's Dropkick.

But of all the special moves that need a good deal of attention, King Dedede's Jet Hammer is pretty much up there, as even the default variation of the attack is inferior to a clean hit f-smash and its knockback capabilities; while a fully charged Jet Hammer may deal up to 38% damage, it KOs later than Kirby's fully charged Hammer Flip, due to having low BKB and KBG values (5 BKB + 66 KBG). And while the idea of implementing super armor onto Jet Hammer may seem like a good idea, reducing the attack's damage output is a terrible trade-off, making Armored Jet Hammer drastically worse than the default Jet Hammer, especially with the increased start-up lag adding additional insult to injury.

With that said, the custom special moves do have potential, but the real challenge is just trying to make them all viable to use in casual and competitive play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes! Now Rex is definitely in Smash for Switch! What will his move-set be? Rex is not just some "bland sword fighter". Fire Emblem characters are not bland sword fighters either my people.
His main gimmick would be having Pyra as his partner on the background, and the distance that separate them on the battlefield would influence on some of Rex's special moves, akin to how Xenoblade 2 plays.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Well I guess we know who's getting in the Smash 4 port or whatever the new Smash is.

Last edited:
Can't tell who is and is not kidding so just in case. . .
Sakurai writes about all kinds of games. He doesn't like any console war shenanigans. He wrote about Persona 5 too when that game released, so I wouldn't get too hung up about what he writes up on.
:061:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Can't tell who is and is not kidding so just in case. . .
Sakurai writes about all kinds of games. He doesn't like any console war shenanigans. He wrote about Persona 5 too when that game released, so I wouldn't get too hung up about what he writes up on.
:061:
Well I already knew there was like a 75-80% chance we would see a X2 character in the next Smash, regardless of Sakurai's article.

D

Deleted member

I have a question. In Smash 4, do you prefer the 3DS's stage selection or the Wii U's stage selection? I hear a lot of people saying the 3DS stage selection, but what are your thoughts?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
His main gimmick would be having Pyra as his partner on the background, and the distance that separate them on the battlefield would influence on some of Rex's special moves, akin to how Xenoblade 2 plays.
Yeah... standalone Pythra sounds better now.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rex and Pyra could appear in Smash with Pyra being a Z-axis partner.

Pyra hangs out on the Z axis. The area where characters side-step and roll. Pyra would normally be at Rex's side, slightly in front of him so she wouldn't be visually blocked (but on the Z- axis). She moves more slowly, but will always try to return to her position by Rex's side.

Her attacks can either be triggered by Rex's Smashes or specials. She attacks toward the screen and thus can hit characters that roll or dodge.

* Rex could grab a character, throw them into the Z-axis where a battle-ready Pyra could smash them back into the fighting arena. Allowing Rex another axis to work with is a nice nod to the open world environment from his game.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I just thought of something:

In 2019, the smash series will be 20 years old. Maybe they're planning to announce the game at e3 2018 and release it late 2019?

A new smash game being released 5 years after smash 4 doesn't seem too unreasonable to me

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Oh no what if the Miis are made inappropriate?" We have a solution. Use their generic designs used in Smash 4's official artwork of the Mii Fighters to be the only available look for them when online. It shouldn't be that hard to do honestly
Agreed. Mind you, it should still use the same weight size you chose, as that's how you're playing them. The faces are the only thing that needs to be kept reasonable.

I'd love them With Anyone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Agreed. Mind you, it should still use the same weight size you chose, as that's how you're playing them. The faces are the only thing that needs to be kept reasonable.

I'd love them With Anyone.
Even better would be having your screen show your Mii, but the other player's screen showing the default face.

Best of both, IMO.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I have a question. In Smash 4, do you prefer the 3DS's stage selection or the Wii U's stage selection? I hear a lot of people saying the 3DS stage selection, but what are your thoughts?
I'm a mixed bag. I prefer the new stages of the 3DS version, but think the Wii U version has better returning stages. Overall, I think my preference goes to the 3DS one because of the new stages, though.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Yeah... standalone Pythra sounds better now.
I would really prefer this over purely playing as that twink with Pyra just standing in the background. How popular is Pyra compared to Rex anyway? I feel like she flies ahead of him in popularity, but I never paid the game much attention so I don't really know.
While they both have good and bad stages, some of the Wii U selection feels just too over the top. Stages like Orbital Gate Assault and Palutena's Temple make you spend too much time focusing on the stage itself instead of the fight which gets tedious. I turned them both off of the Random Selection as soon as I could, which is a shame cause they do both look really nice.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even better would be having your screen show your Mii, but the other player's screen showing the default face.

Best of both, IMO.
Pretty much the best option, especially if you have a toggle for that for those who do want to see a custom faced mii.
In fact, Smash already kind of has this option, If you play a mod with a character with a custom skin, your opponent can't see that while you can.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I've been wondering about this latley, but if we were to get a port of Smash 4 to the switch with added content, what do you think might happen to the 3DS version? I know that the Wii U version will be dropped since its on a dead console if the game was ported over, but the 3DS is still alive and sold more units than usual this year.

Not alot of people had been bringing this up, so I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How about we add all three! ( No Rex and Pyra duo or Mythra, Pyra and Rex trio ). They are all their separate characters.
First of all, if Pyra is her own character, Myrtha is gonna be an alt because they are literally the same person. They even have the same Arts, iirc.

Second, the synergy between Blades and Drivers seem to be the key with this game, and with how most of Smash 4's newcomers were all about incorporating stuff from the course game, a Rex and Pyra/Mythra combination just feels more fitting.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I believe that they should give Pac-Man and Sonic better skins ( Pac-Man would be confusing to animate and it would look weird, but still ). A top hat for Pac-Man or something?

Arcade references:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been wondering about this latley, but if we were to get a port of Smash 4 to the switch with added content, what do you think might happen to the 3DS version? I know that the Wii U version will be dropped since its on a dead console if the game was ported over, but the 3DS is still alive and sold more units than usual this year.

Not alot of people had been bringing this up, so I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
I don't think that Smash 3DS will get any of the Smash Switch exclusive features.

D

Deleted member

Arcade references:
You seem to know stuff, I like this! I especially want the Super Pac-Man and the Headphones Pac-Man. I have a question for you, do you think they should buff his grab-range or keep it unchanged so you are used to him + to make him still special in the cast?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You seem to know stuff, I like this! I especially want the Super Pac-Man and the Headphones Pac-Man. I have a question for you, do you think they should buff his grab-range or keep it unchanged to make him special?
Keep the grab essentially the same, but make the grabboxes more reasonable.

If someone's too close to his hand after the first grabbox disappears, then they won't be grabbed. It's obnoxious. I don't see why the grabboxes need to disappear when there's an animation in the area regardless, honestly.

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Pyra and Mythra grant the same Arts to Rex as each other but the Blade Skills and Specials are pretty different between the two. They don't have the same abilities, not to mention that they are two completely different blade types, Pyra being Fire and Mythra being Light. The Aegis sword also changes shape depending on which one Rex is using.

If Pyra/Mythra were to be their own character, they cannot be an alt of each other.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pyra and Mythra grant the same Arts to Rex as each other but the Blade Skills and Specials are pretty different between the two. They don't have the same abilities, not to mention that they are two completely different blade types, Pyra being Fire and Mythra being Light. The Aegis sword also changes shape depending on which one Rex is using.

If Pyra/Mythra were to be their own character, they cannot be an alt of each other.
Possible solution to have all three.

Rex and Pyra are tag-team fighters. Both appear on the same square on the selection screen. Rex is the main fighter with Pyra being a partner on the Z-Axis on a stage. She follows Rex, but is slower and always stops when she is at his side.

Pyra attacks when Rex utilizes Smashes. She attacks towards the camera. Rex also has the option to fling an opponent caught in a grab to the Z-Axis for a teamup beatdown.

Mythra can be unlocked. She changes Rex's Smashes and Specials essentially making him a semi-clone version of him. All three are on a character slot. When Rex is selected, there is an option to toggle between Pyra and Mythra to pick the version of Rex you want for the battle.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You have at least think it's weird that the Switch is turning a year old and the Miis haven't been used in any of it's new games. That's a long time for Nintendo. Not saying Nintendo won't do anything in the future with their precious Miis, but for now, they'll be taking a break.

And just to be clear, I don't think the Miis are getting cut. People really like customizing characters they can play as, so unless customization is entirely abandoned in the next game, I'm sure they'll be fine.
The fact that we haven't seen anything with the Miis on the Switch is probably because most of the game Nintendo released last year were for a more "hardcore" kind of gamers. Once they start doing the more casual games, like the party games, I'm sure the Miis will return.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've always had a fondness for the Miis, but the way they were implemented as fighters into Smash 4 was disappointing to me.

If their movesets get some sort of overhaul for the next game I'd probably be quite happy.

I'll admit that, for as much as I like Miis, I was against the idea of them being playable in Smash 4 for a long time, but since they averted the potential issue of having to see some rather unpleasant or obnoxious face designs when playing online, I largely dropped my negativity towards them. Again, I was just rather disappointed with what their movesets offered.

In any case, I don't see them going anywhere. If they're not back for the next entry then I'll be seriously surprised.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I hope Rex would get a cool alt
People who played the game know what I'm talking about

Should we also talk about a similar secret with Pyra and Mythra

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Multiple characters from a niche JRPG that most people learned about from Smash and Shulk memes? I can barely hold my excitement. :rolleyes:

Oh well, guess I can't be too critical here. As long as the most of the other franchises that were passed over in Smash 4 get their fair share of characters (Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby or riot), I'm fine with two or three more Xenoblade characters.

Which is why I think we're better off using the "Driver and Blade" concept and combine Rex and Pyra/Mythra to be one character. Being able to switch between blades could be the unique gimmick for Rex, as every Smash newcomer seems to have one now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Keep the grab essentially the same, but make the grabboxes more reasonable.

If someone's too close to his hand after the first grabbox disappears, then they won't be grabbed. It's obnoxious. I don't see why the grabboxes need to disappear when there's an animation in the area regardless, honestly.
Yeah it really doesn't make much sense when you consider that it's completely possible to have more than one grab hitbox present at the same time. Even the use of an extended grab hitbox would be nice for PAC-MAN's grab move.

D

Deleted member

First of all, if Pyra is her own character, Myrtha is gonna be an alt because they are literally the same person. They even have the same Arts, iirc.

Second, the synergy between Blades and Drivers seem to be the key with this game, and with how most of Smash 4's newcomers were all about incorporating stuff from the course game, a Rex and Pyra/Mythra combination just feels more fitting.
I actually considered the third option a while back. A third transformation would look weird at first, but it can work if you are used to it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
So what if, Sakurai just loses his mind and unleashes his super dev skills

Every character returns from any Smash returns
Any character with an amiibo is playable
Every moveset from Hyrule Warriors is playable
Every character from Fire Emblem Warriors is playable
Every character ever to be playable in a Mario game is playable (including Mario Maker costumes)
Every character to be playable in Kirby is playable
Every character from ARMS is playable
Every weapon in Splatoon series has its own moveset.
Every weapon class in kid Icarus Uprising is playable
Every playable character in Xenoblade is playable
Every playable character in the earthbound games is playable
Every F-Zero racer is playable
Every bounty hunter from Metroid is playable
Every Pokemon from Pokken is playable
Every potential Pokemon Mystery Dungeon starter is playable
Every Legendary Pokemon is playable
Every Star Fox and Star Wolf member is playable
Every playable character from Pikmin is playable
Every character from the Sega all stars games is playable
Every Capcom character from the Capcom Vs games is playable
Every punch out boxer is playable
Every Mii Costume based on character, that character becomes playable
Every playable character from project X zone series is playable
As far as Zelda, I would make sure Ghirahim is the first newcomer. I mean, its not like Ghirahim doesn't already have a timeless design and the personality that scream Smash.

Who do you want to play as the most?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So while looking for sales data on Xenoblade 2, I was once again reminded on how much of a monster success the Splatoon franchise is in Japan. As of now, Splatoon 2 has sold nearly 2 million copies in Japan alone over a six month period.

Needless to say, get ready for a ton of Splatoon content in Smash Switch. The options to choose from are limited, but I can even see Splatoon getting two newcomers.

As far as Zelda, I would make sure Ghirahim is the first newcomer. I mean, its not like Ghirahim doesn't already have a timeless design and the personality that scream Smash.

...I think I'll stick with Mipha or Daruk. So far, Greninja is the only fighter who should be able to grab someone with his tongue. I don't want to find out if Girahim can do it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom