• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
No matter how unlikely this character is, I’d love to see Phoenix Wright in Ultimate. I have no idea what kind of moveset he’d have (except for incorporating “OBJECTION!” somehow), but seeing him kick ass would be awesome.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It says no on Simon but yes on Richter. Very strange.

Gardevoir is a pretty popular Pokemon, though. And Mario 2? Given the second Mushroom icon in the sound section during the Direct, I'm gonna put this in my 'keep in mind' column
Mario has had two sections in the sound test since Brawl, doesn't mean much.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
You know, I've been thinking a bit, but I think it'd be cool if Smash had remixes of menu themes or character select themes from other games that can play in Ultimate's menus and training stage themes from other games that play on the training stage.

Imagine if Third Strike's character select theme (or a remix of it) was selectable for a menu theme, that'd be kinda nice.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Honestly, my biggest problem with both the NeoGaf and Gardevoir leak is that neither really feel like they have any good 'follow up' to what we currently have.

What I mean by that is both Ridley AND K.Rool were HUGE in the fanbase and wanted characters for over a decade.

But at the same time, there really aren't a lot of characters like those two left, with Geno being the only real one.

The Neogaf leak has the upper hand here, since Isaac, but only people who've been speculating since Brawl will really understand the Isaac hype.

What I mean to say is both Ridley and K.Rool go past just being popular in their own franchise and resonate with Smash fans in general, neither of these leaks really have a character like that, besides Isaac.
I think this moreso has to do with the crowd of characters we have left. No one really has that "WOW" factor. Geno is cool but he only satisfies the hardcore Smash speculators, and Isaac is in a similar boat.

As the pool of characters inevitability shrinks after each game, we slowly run out of blockbuster characters that can blow everyone's pants off. And I think we're hitting that point now, unless we've already hit it.

Also, the Gardevoir leak didn't say that was the whole cast (and if it did, it'd be dead).

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Mario has had two sections in the sound test since Brawl, doesn't mean much.
Well that's one mark taken off the board then. I think it's still worth keeping in mind, though. It's probably the only "leak" that mentioned Richter.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
First Sakurai hides the villains in the clouds and gives them all to us ten years later. Now he's hinted at Skull Kid in the chairs for a 2028 release.

He's truly perfected the long game!

:p
He hides the villains in the clouds? What image are you talking about? I must've missed it

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I peace out for a day and when I come back there's 30 whole pages waiting to be skimmed through and almost a dozen of those pages were arguments about goddamn chairs. WTF guys, come on.

Anyway, two things I wanted to touch on:

Regarding Agumon, he has always been my most wanted random 3rd party choice for numerous reasons. Mainly, because of the novelty it would be to see him in a Nintendo game next to Pokemon. I had thought up a concept for him a long ass time ago with the main gimmick being Digivolution. That would be something that would take too much effort to implement into one character given that, accurately represented, it would require him transforming into other forms. Sakurai could always go the Corrin route though. I've never actually believed he is a possibility, that hasn't changed.

That out of the way, I just wanted to say I am very happy that Classic Mode is back as something that actually seems fun. I love specific arcade mode routes, and even if we don't get the usual nostalgic quirks that the mode would entail, I'll gladly accept this.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Honestly, only 3rd party characters can really get that wow factor when it comes to character reveals now.

I feel like Master Chief or Steve are the characters that a ton of people outside of the hardcore, and even casual smash community can really cause a large explosion of hype the way characters like Ridley and K.Rool do.

Troykv

Smash Master
Considering our 'pre-release finales' have been Olimar and Shulk, I think you're right.
I think it makes sense since the point of view of Sakurai; where he tries to prioritize the important request; and they ended up be reveal first; the characters that make it into the game but didn't have priority ended up being the ones released late (like Olimar or Shulk), or ended up as random surprises (like Wolf).

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Either Way! I do hope we finally get a Zelda newcomer who's name isn't Link Or Zelda and isn't a slow Captain Falcon wannabe!
And then it turns out to be Skull Kid and the chairs were such a heavy coincidence its considered a fact of Sakurai being a le ebin troll
Still willing to be it's Skull Kid due to the loz18 leak and the fact that we have not yet seen his Assist Trophy (And is said by some to have been A popular Zelda character choice during the Smash Wii-U/3DS ballot days!

D

Deleted member

Honestly, only 3rd party characters can really get that wow factor when it comes to character reveals now.

I feel like Master Chief or Steve are the characters that a ton of people outside of the hardcore, and even casual smash community can really cause a large explosion of hype the way characters like Ridley and K.Rool do.
I'm sure there's one more....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He hides the villains in the clouds? What image are you talking about? I must've missed it
He didn't really, it was just an infamous fan theory that wouldn't die during the Brawl times, taken from a Subspace cutscene. The level of conspiracy reminds me of this chair business. "Skull Kid is hidden in the decor!!"

The funniest thing about the theory is people couldn't even come to a consensus on who exactly was shown.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah I could see Gothitelle replacing Gardevoir as a Pokeball summon, but I find it hard to believe such a random Pokemon would become an echo fighter. That's why I don't really buy this leak, no matter how good it sounds.
I actually just remembered... there was that official Pokémon popularity poll a while ago (the "Pokémon General Election 720", the Japanese Popularity poll where Simisear got dead last).

Greninja was #1
Pikachu was #4
Charizard was #9
Mewtwo was #11
Lucario was #15
Jigglypuff was #49
Pichu was #69
Squirtle and Ivysaur didn't make the top 100.

Genesect was #5, Meloetta was #10, Eevee was #12, Gengar was #35. Gardevoir was #38, Blaziken was #45, Sceptile was #61, Meowth was #82.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Still willing to be it's Skull Kid due to the loz18 leak and the fact that we have not yet seen his Assist Trophy (And is said by some to have been A popular Zelda character choice during the Smash Wii-U/3DS ballot days!
Skull Kid would be fun, but I need my Geno reveal first. Unless they're both in the same trailer/Direct, in which case, go for it, Sakurai.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I can't believe people are actually talking about this Gothitelle thing as if it could actually be real. They don't just cover a wall in pictures of Pokemon and throw a damn dart at it. Why would they choose a random Pokemon from a completely irrelevant generation that isn't even popular (and I say that about both the Pokemon and the generation it was introduced in.)

In other news, I have discovered the glory that is the vocal version of Snake Eater and I want it in Smash now.

The idea for it happening is instead of the usual fare of Sakurai picking a pokemon from the most recent gen to his and TPC's whims, he goes back and add representation for the gens that missed out on a playable pokemon to alleviate the fan complaints of the skewed gen 1 representation and half the gens having no playable representation in Brawl and Smash 4. Pichu being back adds a gen 2 mon, so that leaves gen 3 and 5, and dedicating the resources to two Pokemon newcomers on top of the rest of the pokemon being brought back would be overkill for the base game, so that means one would have to be an Echo. Then when it comes to picking out a popular unique pokemon that would work well as a Smash character from one gen while having a feasible Echo in the other gen, well what other combo is there that would work for achieving that goal besides Gardevoir + Gothielle?

And while I think this leak is very likely to be fake and there's more a chance of Gardevoir being playable alone than of the leak being real, this wouldn't be the first time Sakurai added a seemingly random pokemon to the roster no one was asking for because it was fulfilling a preconceived idea he had; he made Ivysaur a playable character in Brawl when gen 1 wasn't the relevant gen and when it's not remotely a popular pokemon nor ever thought of by anyone as a Smash-viable character, yet chose it because it fitted a theme he was going for (a Pokemon Trainer character that only used gen 1 starters and had three pokemon that were each in different stagees of evolution, and it just happened to be the line that was left with a middle evolution slot). Then before Ivysaur there was Pichu in Melee, who was added solely because Sakurai needed some clones and wanted a joke character, while there was no demand for Pichu, much less as a deliberately inferior Pikachu clone. So overall, don't dismiss a leak because a pokemon choice seems random.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I 100% support a Gen 3 Pokemon being added. My favorite generation of Pokemon easily. Give me those sweet Gen 3 tunes as music. I love Gardevoir but I'd take any Gen 3 Pokemon really. I remember when Sceptile had a pretty solid following.

Speaking of music, Sonic has 20 tracks apparently. I think 6 more than from Wii U. Wonder what was added...Hmmmm????

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash hype seasons don't usually finish with a bang, but if Sakurai wants to go out on a high note he'll save Geno until the very end.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I actually just remembered... there was that official Pokémon popularity poll a while ago (the "Pokémon General Election 720", the Japanese Popularity poll where Simisear got dead last).

Greninja was #1
Pikachu was #4
Charizard was #9
Mewtwo was #11
Lucario was #15
Jigglypuff was #49
Pichu was #69

Genesect was #5, Meloetta was #10, Eevee was #12, Gengar was #35. Gardevoir was #38, Blaziken was #45, Sceptile was #61, Meowth was #82.
I'd love to see that whole list. Also, Semisear deserves dead last lmao

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The idea for it happening is instead of the usual fare of Sakurai picking a pokemon from the most recent gen to his and TPC's whims, he goes back and add representation for the gens that missed out on a playable pokemon to alleviate the fan complaints of the skewed gen 1 representation and half the gens having no playable representation in Brawl and Smash 4. Pichu being back adds a gen 2 mon, so that leaves gen 3 and 5, and dedicating the resources to two Pokemon newcomers on top of the rest of the pokemon being brought back would be overkill for the base game, so that means one would have to be an Echo. Then when it comes to picking out a popular unique pokemon that would work well as a Smash character from one gen while having a feasible Echo in the other gen, well what other combo is there that would work for achieving that goal besides Gardevoir + Gothielle?

And while I think this leak is very likely to be fake and there's more a chance of Gardevoir being playable alone than of the leak being real, this wouldn't be the first time Sakurai added a seemingly random pokemon to the roster no one was asking for because he was fulfilling a preconceived idea he had; he made Ivysaur a playable character in Brawl when gen 1 wasn't the relevant gen and when it's not remotely a popular pokemon nor never thought of by anyone as a Smash-viable character, yet chose it because it fitted a theme he was going for (a Pokemon Trainer character that only used gen 1 starters and had three pokemon that were each in different stagees of evolution, and it just happened to be the line that was left with a middle evolution slot). Then before Ivysaur there was Pichu in Melee, who was added solely because Sakurai needed some clones and wanted a joke character, while there was no demand for Pichu, much less as a deliberately inferior Pikachu clone. So overall, don't dismiss a leak because a pokemon choice seems random.
Unfortunately, that argument doesn't work in this case. Ivysaur was added due to Sakurai wanting to represent the three stages of evolution through the trainer, and Gen 1 has a special excuse to be included in Brawl - nostalgia. All three of the original starters are essentially household names for most of Smash's audience, and ergo, Ivysaur isn't a "random lol off the wall" pick. One of the Bulbasaur line would've been included on the Trainer regardless. Same for Squirtle and Charmander's lines.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Oh gosh, I just thought of an interesting idea for this game's Enemy Team

:132: DITTO FIGHTERS! :132:

It'd kinda work like the Fighting Polygon Team.

They could either all be clones of the character you're playing as, just be clones of the characters you fought along the way, or just random fighters that you have unlocked.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I’m all aboard the chair theory in the Direct since the pillows on the couch have a similar coloration to Skull Kid’s mask and the chairs are similar to Tatl and Tael.

Not to mention there was a ladder and a barrel in the E3 Direct which suggested a DK Rep.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Greninja was #1
Pikachu was #4
Charizard was #9
Mewtwo was #11
Lucario was #15
Jigglypuff was #49
Pichu was #69

Well that settles it.

Simisear for Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The only way Smash Ultimate can end on a bang is if Goku or Shrek get in.

Or maybe Geno.
Thanks for Smash
No. Forgive me Kojima, for I have sinned.

Hopefully we'll get more Metal Gear trophies this time since Konami seems much more cooperative.

...If only we could say the same about Square Enix. At least let us get One-Winged Angel and an assist trophy, please...
Square Enix probably won’t play ball unless they get massive profits or something

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Greninja was #1
Pikachu was #4
Charizard was #9
Mewtwo was #11
Lucario was #15
Jigglypuff was #49
Pichu was #69

Where was Gothitelle?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
He didn't really, it was just an infamous fan theory that wouldn't die during the Brawl times, taken from a Subspace cutscene. The level of conspiracy reminds me of this chair business. "Skull Kid is hidden in the decor!!"

The funniest thing about the theory is people couldn't even come to a consensus on who exactly was shown.
That has to be reaching quite a bit. Mewtwo looks like a random guy, Gandondorf looks like Master Hand, and Ridley looks like Charizard (at least to me). Bowser is the only one that looks like Bowser.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Assist Trophy & Item Ideas

Assist Trophies
  • Captain Toad
  • Poochy
  • Jesse & James
  • Giygas
  • Camilla
  • Mad Scienstein
  • Great Tiger
  • Chun-Li
  • Sephiroth
Items
  • Double Cherry
  • Magic Wand (SMB3)
  • White Shy Guy
  • Wind Cleaver
  • Spearhead
  • Omochao
  • Energy Tank

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Thanks for Smash

Square Enix probably won’t play ball unless they get massive profits or something
I mean, Cloud's there. The ball's already there, and Nintendo would have to pay for any character licenses anyway, so I don't see what the problem is... it's Final Fantasy, everything this franchise touches is guaranteed to sell anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That has to be reaching quite a bit. Mewtwo looks like a random guy, Gandondorf looks like Master Hand, and Ridley looks like Charizard (at least to me). Bowser is the only one that looks like Bowser.
Well you're about ten years too late to find anyone who'll argue against you. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom