• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Time for honesty.

What newcomers do you not want in? Not characters you necessarily hate or outright object to, heck it can be a character you like or indifferent.

Just characters you simply don’t want in just cause.

It’s only your opinion so try not to cause arguments.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm getting anxious about any new Yoshi content...
I just want the missing Yoshi colors finally. Then I'll be satisfied with Yoshi content. Confirmation of the cringey Yoshi Story theme (with Yoshi's singing) would be wonderful (unironically), but I'll be content without it. Boshi would of course be a fun alt or echo, but still happy without

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Time for honesty.

What newcomers do you not want in? Not characters you necessarily hate or outright object to, heck it can be a character you like or indifferent.

As long as Geno gets in, I don't even care if hat goomba gets in.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Time for honesty.

Goku above all by far

Steve from Minecraft

Shovel Knight but I guess that'd be beating a dead horse now

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Time for honesty.

Rabbids.
Their entire character concept is "What are the most annoying characters we could possibly force the player to play as?"

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Time for honesty.

I'm a guy of unpopular opinions so here is mine… I don't want Bandana Dee.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Time for honesty.

Shadow. I hate the character and I think from past Sonic Adventure 2 he hasn't added anything to the series and has been nothing but joke fodder.
He is not fun, he is all the bad things about the 00s attitude rolled into a character. No irony, no jokes, nothing to soften the uncanny seriousness in a series about a blue hedgehog beating up Teddy Rosevelt. It's ridiculous, real guns, killing human characters, alien Halo styled Satan monsters. WHAT IS HIS DEAL?
Choas is weird right I get it, but I get him, he's related to the chaos emeralds that's hip, okay, yeah, yeah. Black Doom though? WHAT? What is that? Why even?

Other than that, I have Rool and Ridely so I don't really care I just need BWD and a hard line. Beyond that, Incenaroar, Geno, and maybe Captain Toad.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Time for honesty.

Another Pokémon, but we're definetly getting one soon. Also Geno and Isabelle.

Edit: Bandana Dee too.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
...I should’ve excluded the obvious ones out. (Goku, Shrek etc)

Lemme rephrase. What viable newcomers do you not want in that are currently discussed, predicted, and requested?

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Is it an unpopular opinion to say Fire Emblem doesn't have too many reps? I almost make it a game to see when people are like "ANOTHER Fire Emblem character!?". It actually kinda annoys me at this point. They're all popular, and the least popular in Corrin is the most unique.
I think the problem most people have isn't with the amount of reps, but rather the lack of variety in the reps, and perceived underrepresentation of other franchises in comparison. It's hard not to feel a little bitter about a new Fire Emblem swordfighter when you've wanted a 3rd Metroid/DK rep for the last 10 years and still haven't gotten one, or when the selection for LoZ is 50% Link's and it's still not as well represented. Hopefully people will be a little less upset in that regard now that most of the original franchises (Minus F-Zero, Yoshi and Mother) have at least 3 reps. But for old school Nintendo fans it must be weird seeing this franchise that was relatively unknown to them a decade ago suddenly exploding in popularity to the point where it's the 3rd best represented franchise in Smash.

As for uniqueness, it's fortunate that Smash 4 and Ultimate's additions are either echo fighter's or very different from Marth/Roy/Ike, but the damage to the series reputation in Smash might be done at this point. Either way, I'm fine with more Fire Emblem reps, but when you can choose from Axe Wielders, Assassin's, Lance Wielding Knight's, Wyvern Riders, Mages, Archers... the list goes on, why choose another swordsman?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think the problem most people have isn't with the amount of reps, but rather the lack of variety in the reps, and perceived underrepresentation of other franchises in comparison. It's hard not to feel a little bitter about a new Fire Emblem swordfighter when you've wanted a 3rd Metroid/DK rep for the last 10 years and still haven't gotten one, or when the selection for LoZ is 50% Link's and it's still not as well represented. Hopefully people will be a little less upset in that regard now that most of the original franchises (Minus F-Zero, Yoshi and Mother) have at least 3 reps. But for old school Nintendo fans it must be weird seeing this franchise that was relatively unknown to them a decade ago suddenly exploding in popularity to the point where it's the 3rd best represented franchise in Smash.

As for uniqueness, it's fortunate that Smash 4 and Ultimate's additions are either echo fighter's or very different from Marth/Roy/Ike, but the damage to the series reputation in Smash might be done at this point. Either way, I'm fine with more Fire Emblem reps, but when you can choose from Axe Wielders, Assassin's, Lance Wielding Knight's, Wyvern Riders, Mages, Archers... the list goes on, why choose another swordsman?
This is exactly my situation with FE characters in Smash. I'm still waiting for my big sis Camilla… just saaaying.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Time for honesty.

-More 3rd Parties mostly. Especially a horror rep (cuz no 3rd party for a genre should make it in before the Nintendo equivalent). Also especially a non-Quote indie as I believe he's the most "worthy".
-Another Kid Icarus rep (and people say FE is overrepresented... FE has had 4 times as many games and the best FEs far outshine the best KI)
-Incineroar, although truth be told I don't know If I'd actually be happy with any Pokemon that's not Trubbish, Vaporeon, Primarina, Chandelure, or Darmanitan.
-Bandana Dee is a weird spot for me. I don't hate him, but he'd feel like he was stealing a spot. If we get 10+ newcomers I welcome him with open arms.

Pakky

Smash Hero
...I should’ve excluded the obvious ones out. (Goku, Shrek etc)

Lemme rephrase. What viable newcomers do you not want in that are currently discussed, predicted, and requested?
Shadow the Hedgehog, literally everyone else is fine. gardevoir is weird if true though.

Troykv

Smash Master

I'm okay with Chrom because people really wanted him; and meme'd him into the oblivion...

But I'm sure if Sakurai adds another character; it will make sure that character isn't a sword user; after all that is probably the most consistent desire for a new Fire Emblem Character.

Right?

Time for honesty.

Goku. Would be awkward... Mario vs Goku... my brain can't process that.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
For me?
-Isabelle
-Xenoblade newcomer
-Dixie. I supported her but considering roster space is tight with K.Rool already in, I personally feel like it’s not her time yet.
-Kid Icarus newcomer
-Geno. Sorry guys, can’t see the big deal.
-Indie character.

I wouldn’t actually care if any of them happened, but there’s others I’d rather have if there’s few left.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I heard something about a 200+ image press release uploaded after the Smash Direct a few pages ago, does anyone have the link to that?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I don't think it'd matter if they were a sword user or not. Like you said the damage is already done so even if we got an axe wielder or something the good ol' "another FE rep?" words will be spoken. Sure maybe people will be like "well they aren't sword users at least..buuuut".

Awakening was a revival of the franchise so it doesn't surprise me it has 3 reps, even though 2 of the 3 are echoes. People would be upset if they cut anyone because they're either really popular or too unique (ala Corrin).

Shroob

Sup?
I get that part but man... THAT gets you in?

I hope not.
I think I remember someone awhile back posting a poll off of 2ch for their most wanted characters in Smash were, in no order:

Ashley, Viridi, Lip, Midna and K.Rool

1 of these things is not like the other, and the other 4 look like little girls.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Time for honesty.

Okay. I support the inclusion of said characters, but personally wouldn’t care for them:

Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Crash
Isabelle
Incineroar

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want one Fire Emblem character.
I've wanted that one Fire Emblem character for around 15 years now.
You could add an infinite amount of Fire Emblem characters, and I still would want this one Fire Emblem character.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Hey now, I've loved Gardevoir as a Pokemon since I was a kid. That'd be the one Pokemon that'd genuinely excite me.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I can't help but have laughed with this one, even If we know Chrom is an echo mix character. lol

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I can't help but have laughed with this one, even If we know Chrom is an echo mix character. lol
It’s hilarious and depressing at the same time of how true this is.

It’s even funnier when Brawl is the only game where Marth stood out and didn’t have a clone.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So does anyone who if Capcom still owns the rights to the EX Series themes? I know Arika owns their own characters, but I'm sure who owns what songs. Because Guile's Strange Sunset theme is a personal favorite.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So we got Marth, the OG,
We got Lucina, Marth without the tipper
We got Roy, fast Marth with the reverse tipper
We got Chrom, fast Marth with no tipper
We got Sigurd, Marth with an even stronger but smaller tipper
We got Seliph, Marth with an even stronger but smaller reverse tipper
We got Alm, Marth except he's left-handed and all his animations are flipped.
We got Eliwood, Marth except he's Roy except he's his dad and has a giant-ass sword.
We got Eirika, Marth except all poke based damage is specifically increased
We got Byleth, Marth except he's actually just an advertisement for three houses.

Everyone is here!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Gonna take a wild guess and say some combination of Mute City Melee/Woolly World/Rainbow Road will show up in addition to the ones we've already seen. That, and two to three stages to represent new series (like Golden Sun & Banjo-Kazooie).

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So we got Marth, the OG,
We got Lucina, Marth without the tipper
We got Roy, fast Marth with the reverse tipper
We got Chrom, fast Marth with no tipper
We got Sigurd, Marth with an even stronger but smaller tipper
We got Seliph, Marth with an even stronger but smaller reverse tipper
We got Alm, Marth except he's left-handed and all his animations are flipped.
We got Eliwood, Marth except he's Roy except he's his dad and has a giant-*** sword.
We got Eirika, Marth except all poke based damage is specifically increased
We got Byleth, Marth except he's actually just an advertisement for three houses.

Everyone is here!
At this point FE feels more like a restaurant menu, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom