• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Sakurai says this line around the 8:47 mark in the Direct:

"This time, we plan to reveal the design of every fighter before the game launches. We'll have a few more to announce later, so stay tuned."

Does this mean they'll get to ALL of the fighters that they left in the dark? God I hope so...
I have measured the distance between his thumb and forefinger as he used his hand to emphasize the word "few," and I have calculated there's enough space for six more characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think we will. Smash continues to be increasingly liberal with its third-parties. Now we have multiple ones from the same series, items, third-party IPs solely as ATs, indie IPs... stands to reason we could get a stage without a character. Happens with Nintendo series.

And of any series it makes sense for Monster Hunter, where the monsters are more defined 'characters' than the hunter.
While I agree with that logic wholeheartedly,

1. The Monster Hunter is radical and I still want them in Smash

2. Their names on the cover, maaaan. How are you gonna have the Monter of Monster Hunter and not the Hunter of Monster Hunter?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do recall that Sakurai teased people about Zero Suit Samus not returning in Smash 3DS / Wii U, and then revealed her soon after. But if 103 stages is the maximum, then I guess DLC stages might be out of the question.
We don't know if it's the maximum, because the Monster Hunter area is still a "stage", I assume just not one you can select for normal fights.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
At this point, I'd be more hyped and surprised by an announcement for Golden Sun 4 than I would for Isaac in Smash. Ideally, of course, we'd get both.
Honestly I don't see a game happening without Smash inclusion. I could see him getting in and it not leading to a game though. But if they are making a new Golden Sun game there is no way they would pass up on the free marketing that is Smash, and the Rex and Pyra, or Springman newness isn't an issue since Isaac isn't a new character. I could also see Isaac's potential inclusion leading to a new Golden Sun game, but that's not guaranteed. I just don't really see them making a new Golden Sun, but for some reason not getting Sakurai to promote the series with Smash.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I'm worried that the only recent franchise that gets a fighter for now is Splatoon. If no one else recent is making it to the base roster of fighters then I hope they announce plans for DLC soon to put some unease at rest...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While I agree with that logic wholeheartedly,

1. The Monster Hunter is radical and I still want them in Smash

2. Their names on the cover, maaaan. How are you gonna have the Monter of Monster Hunter and not the Hunter of Monster Hunter?
The same way we have Fire Emblem and the Fire Emblem is literally nowhere to be seen since 2001

D

Deleted member

I think that's the problem with it, Stage Morph would probably be a mega pain to implement with that mode. I feel like Pac-Maze got cut for the same reason.
At the same time though, Rainbow Cruise is back. It's possible that difficulties with Stage Morph forced its removal, but I think the reason the stage is never coming back is simply because it's a stage they made from Pokemon Stadium assets just so that there could be a second Pokemon stage in Melee.

Guys, the guy who voiced Goku in DBZ not only voiced Lucario in Smash, but also GOKU?!?!? GOKU IN SMASH?!?!?
IMDB can be edited by anyone. This means nothing.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Why do people like Poke Floats and want it to come back, it's such a weird stage, and it plays terribly.
Because it's a fun stage for some lulzy moments

So I think it's safe that we're getting Skull Kid and another Pokemon, but wonder who is left before DLC

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Guys, the guy who voiced Goku in DBZ not only voiced Lucario in Smash, but also GOKU?!?!? GOKU IN SMASH?!?!?
1. Did Sean Schemmel voice Lucario in 4? If he did, it wasn't very good.
2. >believing IMDB

Remember when Lampy edited IMDB for ****s and giggles and people took it as a serious leak?

Iridium

Smash Hero
1. Did Sean Schemmel voice Lucario in 4? If he did, it wasn't very good.
2. >believing IMDB

Remember when Lampy edited IMDB for ****s and giggles and people took it as a serious leak?
He actually did. The rough voice isn't something people would expect the voice of Goku, I would imagine.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice

Now that is big. Don't mind one way or the other if Goku is in, though I'll be a little sad when it inevitably isn't kid goku

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Actually, I'm worried that the only recent franchise that gets a fighter for now is Splatoon. If no one else recent is making it to the base roster of fighters then I hope they announce plans for DLC soon to put some unease at rest...
This isn't new. Characters from games released post Smash production don't usually get added. There are exceptions, but consider that Splatoon was a absolute runaway success and Inklings didn't even make it as DLC for Smash 4. I would definitely not expect anyone from ARMS or Xenoblade 2 on release. They could very well be good options for DLC and it is certainly possible that they make the base game, but again I would count on it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The same way we have Fire Emblem and the Fire Emblem is literally nowhere to be seen since 2001
The Fire Emblem's just a plot macguffin for whatever universe those hack writers come up with.

It's only the shield in Marth's timeline. In Roy's, it's a seal to a door, in Ike's it's a medallion on fire (a literal fire emblem, huehuehue), and in Corrin's it's the sword.
So I guess at least one of the Fire Emblems is in it.

But that's beside the point that the Hunter is just as important as the Monsters.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So 67 playable unique fighters and 6 echo makes 73 fighters. I think we're gonna get 7 more with maybe 3-4 uniques and another 3-4 echo depends on how we will get it. So I'm gonna type my prediciton

Skull Kid
Geno
New Pokemon Character (Incineroar?)
Ken (Echo of Ryu)
Shadow (Echo of Sonic)
Dixie (Echo of Diddy)
Isabelle (Echo of Villager)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Fire Emblem's just a plot macguffin for whatever universe those hack writers come up with.

It's only the shield in Marth's timeline. In Roy's, it's a seal to a door, in Ike's it's a medallion on fire (a literal fire emblem, huehuehue), and in Corrin's it's the sword.
So I guess at least one of the Fire Emblems is in it.

But that's beside the point that the Hunter is just as important as the Monsters.
I can't wait for the Fire Emblem game where the Fire Emblem is a blue haired swordsman named "Fire Emblem."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This isn't new. Characters from games released post Smash production don't usually get added. There are exceptions, but consider that Splatoon was a absolute runaway success and Inklings didn't even make it as DLC for Smash 4. I would definitely not expect anyone from ARMS or Xenoblade 2 on release. They could very well be good options for DLC and it is certainly possible that they make the base game, but again I would count on it.
ARMS was worked on early in the Switch's lifespan too. We found that out some time back. No way a Xenoblade 2 character could get in, though. Way too late in development. Sakurai doesn't make exceptions outside of Pokemon, specifying that himself. Ironically, the only Pokemon that's impossible due to timing is Zeraora. It's DLC or bust for it, as it was created farrrrrr later on. It's too late even for a Greninja situation.

ARMS however also is a new IP, so Spring Man might still be waited on for DLC due to this factor. He actually fits the timing otherwise.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, the question we should be asking now is:

Now what?

Until furthur notice, like newcomers, the website has every of those 103 stages up for viewing pleasure.

So, are Pic of the Days going to focus once again on "Stuff we learned from the Direct?" or will they finally start re-introducing content like missing Items, Pokeballs and ATs?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I tried to read all that I missed but it's next to impossible in all the hype have Verge and LoZ said anything after the direct?

I know LoZ said something about Skull Kid being playable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m still gathering some thoughts on all the information today. I’ve talked to a number of friends and a pair just left after we played Wii U for over an hour or so. One loves Castlevania and is excited for Simon, one has always wanted K.Rool. Another friend of mine said that as he was getting lunch at work and saw Simon, he almost cried.

This series is awesome.

Anyway, I must say that I hope we're not suddenly thinking "a few" means another 8-10 characters. While I think that would be awesome, and not "impossible", I'd be extremely surprised if we got that many unique newcomers.

Now, if that includes echoes, then maybe. But that's a huge maybe. I'm feeling pretty good about Dixie Kong being in this game, as well as Isabelle and whoever the Gen 7 Pokemon is (my guess is Incineroar). That's 3 right there. We've still got another 3rd party, I'm sure of it. That's 4. I think it's entirely possible we get Shadow and Ken as 3rd party echo fighters. That's 6.

If we get Geno, that would not only be crazy but pretty awesome. This is projecting, I admit, but I do kinda still think people are sleeping on Sora with Roxas as an echo. If it doesn't happen in the base roster, I could totally see it being prime DLC material (pay for Sora, get Roxas for free).

I'm not sure how I feel about those 6 remaining stage slots. Obviously they can create another page for additional stages, but that assumes stage builder is coming back or that DLC stages would need an additional stage.

It probably seems like I'm rambling at this point. It's been a long day. An awesome day, but a long one nonetheless.

One last thing. The same friend who almost cried suggested that Goku could be the last reveal. I told him what I said the other day, and I will state this only because I think it bears repeating. It's not a matter of if you think you'd be fine with licensed characters. What I've said is more directed at the design of the game.

Smash isn't the same thing as Tekken. Comparing Negan in Tekken to Goku in Smash isn't the same thing. Smash is a crossover brawler, Tekken is not. Imagine hyping up a game that's dedicated to bringing the biggest stars and icons of gaming together, hyping up the final reveal, and then adding a...non-gaming character.

Everything advertised about this game is about gaming. Goku is not a gaming icon. He's an anime icon. Yes, he's got popular games. They're popular because of the people who have watched the anime or grew up with it. That's what he's known for. He's not a gaming character, no matter how many video games he has. He's an anime icon.

Smash Ultimate is designed with "gaming legends" in mind. Goku, despite having several video games across various platforms, is not a gaming legend. There's a theme to Smash in that every character, despite the company they come from, is a character of gaming. If somebody is a gamer, they probably recognize all of the series or characters, or at least most. Goku is extremely recognizable, but he or any other non-gaming character would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm really, really, excited for this game. Goku wouldn't deter me from buying it. But he's probably the only character I'd be mad about being in the game. Everybody has their opinions, and that's fine. I simply think it would be a bad decision to, with the final reveal, add a character that goes against the rest of the design of the game/series. It just wouldn't make sense, no matter how much of a meme the "Add Goku" thing is.

/rant.

I swear I will get some "analysis" stuff, or at least projections for the remaining 4 months until this game is out.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, here is a question...

How many new series do you feel will get playable characters at this point? Do you think we will get any more?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guys just became IMDB says Goku's voice actor is voicing for another character in Smash doesn't mean Goku is gonna get in. Let's not forget to mention that anyone can easily edit IMDB and make y'all feel like fools here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm really confused about how Echoes work now. Because if Chrom is a Roy echo, but he has Ike's aether, why is Dr. Mario not an echo? Like YL and TL are so different from the main Link that they're on their playing field, but Dr. Mario doesn't have an excuse.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
ARMS was worked on early in the Switch's lifespan too. We found that out some time back. No way a Xenoblade 2 character could get in, though. Way too late in development. Sakurai doesn't make exceptions outside of Pokemon, specifying that himself. Ironically, the only Pokemon that's impossible due to timing is Zeraora. It's DLC or bust for it, as it was created farrrrrr later on. It's too late even for a Greninja situation.

ARMS however also is a new IP, so Spring Man might still be waited on for DLC due to this factor. He actually fits the timing otherwise.

That's fair. I still wouldn't expect ARMS though. I feel like Sakurai tends to let new IPs cook a bit before making sue of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom