• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
sigh... why you aren't a belieable leaker? :c thats a cool wishlist.

still, you could fake ignorance by saying that you dont care about pokemon and teh alst gen you played was third, and then proceed to say that you saw this very weird character that is like a bodybuilding red mosquito and you never have seen it before...
I think pretending to feign ignorance (redundant but gets the point across) tends to show through pretty easily in fake leaks. I don't want to be "obviously dishonest" when I'm trying to be definitely honest. I am a fan of Pokemon and knew of Buzzwole and he's my second favorite UB behind Guzzlord ... so.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Obviously fake/****post leaks that take away from the discussion are not allowed
Who needs 4chan anyway? All the true leakers post directly on SmashBoards.
-Goku will be reaveled at EVO, Namek will be his home stage, and Vegeta will be an Assist Trophy, I'm dead serious.
-Kongo Jungle 64, Peach's Castle 64, Fountain Of Dreams, Pirate Ship, Hanenbow, Dream Land, Rainbow Road, Pac-Maze, Gamer, Wooly World, Orbital Gate Assault, & Miiverse are the remaining returning stages that have yet to be shown.
-Rhythm Heaven isn't getting a character but it will be getting a stage.
-Verg was right about Simon Belmont being in the game, But Isabelle is still an assist trophy.
-The Gen 7 Rep is a Pokemon that no one will see coming.
-There is a Retro character, but i don't know who it is, My source says it's a female character.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Let's say you were to rank each of the Ultra Beasts' chances of being playable for Smash Ultimate, where would you place them?
I still don't think that a new Pokemon character is guaranteed this time around, and even if we were to get one, I'm not entirely convinced that it would be an Ultra Beast.
If it were an ultra beast though-

Nihilego- Can't really see it as a fighter. It was the major story-related ultra beast in Sun/Moon, which gives it a bit more relevance. It just doesn't seem enough like a "character" to me. It doesn't have a face and doesn't really have much personality. It just doesn't fit as a Smash character.

Buzzwole- Honestly one of my two dream characters, so I'm pretty biased here. I think it would be a perfect addition to the roster though. Heavy, hard hitting, and the use of Leech Life to sap health from enemies could make for a really unique and interesting fighter. It also is built PERFECTLY for Smash in terms of body type, and has a hilariously ridiculous show-offy personality. Putting my bias aside though, Buzzwole really isn't that prominent in the games or anime.

Pheremosa- Probably just as likely as Buzzwole, though maybe a LITTLE bit less. Body type is a little awkward seeing as its super tall and lanky, but I could see Sakurai making it work.

Xurkitree- I'd say less likely than Buzzwole and Pheremosa. Though this guy is really goofy and would fit right into Smash, I just can't really see it being chosen over other UBs. It could have a neat mechanic where it used ingrain and restored HP or something, but we already have two other electric Pokemon on the roster.

Celesteela- Next to no chance. I know "ha ha too big" but Celesteela really wouldn't look right scaled down that much. its essentially a giant spaceship. It'd look weird moving around and fighting in Smash.

Kartana- I mean, more likely than Celesteela, but still not very likely IMO. Not much to say here, I just think that Kartana isn't too likely. Its very small, paper thin, and again, doesnt seem to have much of a personality.

Guzzlord- Again, too big. Its body type doesnt really work for Smash, and there's no real way to shrink it down without it looking weird. Could make a cool stage hazard though.

Poipole- Somewhat likely. Has a prominent role in the anime, and is small and cute. People seem to like Poipole, and its definitely POSSIBLE. More likely than other UBs, but not the MOST likely IMO.

Naganadel- Not happening. Body type is too weird for Smash.

Stakataka- Not happening. Same reason as above. Could make a cool stage hazard.

Blacephalon- Same chances as Xurkitree, though would be way more interesting. I'd say next to Buzzwole, Blacephalon would probably be my personal second choice. Its a really cool design and its moves could be very interesting and fun using a bunch of fireworks and throwing its head around.

In terms of likeliness, my ranking would go-

Most Likely:
-Buzzwole
-Poipole

Less likely but still possible:
-Nihilego
-Pheremosa
-Xurkitree
-Blacephalon

Not very likely:
-Kartana

No way in hell:
-Celesteela
-Guzzlord
-Naganadel
-Stakataka

D

Deleted member

I thought villains were highly requested?
ESRB0083 makes his debut as this game's surprise character! Armed with the power of photoshop, this dastardly villain combats his foes by turning them into Little Mac! Looks like we don't have a choice!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Alright, crazy prediction time. I predict that before December 7th, Nintendo will announce and release a Smash bros. mobile game. If i'm wrong, oh well i'll go eat a sandwich with mayonnaise or something.

Nintendo's goal for mobile games has consistantly been theses 3 points.
  1. Maximize the Number of People Who Have Access to Nintendo IP
  2. Smart-Device Business Profitable on Its Own
  3. Synergy with Dedicated Video Game System Business
The Smash series can easily check all three points. Smash Bros. would be an incredibly easy way for Nintendo to allow the mobile market to have access to all of their big name IPs at one time. A free to play app that has Mario and Pikachu's face plastered on the front is going to get a lot of people playing it and buying in game purchases. I could easily see linking your MyNintendo account giving you rewards inside the mobile game and possibly with Ultimate as well. Nintendo has sown a large mobile following, Smash Bros. could be where Nintendo can reap the casual popularity of mobile IPs and promote the switch though cross promotion and synergy between a mobile game and a dedicated console game.

The last Nintendo mobile game released was Animal Crossing: pocket camp, nearly a year ago in October 2017. There's been a large gap in the mobile release calendar for Nintendo, especially since their goal was to release 2 to 3 mobile games per year. There is another mobile game coming out in 2018 but it seems to be mainly focused for Japan. Having the Smash bros. mobile game release some time in October 2018 seems like a good fit, while the core audience was already sold by the E3 reveal, releasing a high profile App could really generate hype among the casual crowd as smash will still be fresh on their minds when Ultimate releases.

This portion is going to be just speculation. If we do get a Smash mobile game, I highly doubt that it will try to mimic the game play of the core series since the controls don't seem to transfer well to touch screen and would end up being a poor man's smash game. They'll most likely focus on the character aspect more. Nintendo has stated that they want their mobile games to be polished and unique, not just lazy ports.

The Nintendo mobile games do take inspiration from other successful mobile genres. Super Mario run is reminiscent of the endless runner genre while Pocket camp seems to take some inspiration from the social network genre games. A genre I could see them adapting smash into is something with collectibles, such as a virtual card game like hearthstone or a collectible RPG like Star Wars: Galaxy of heroes. Maybe have the collectibles be trophies and bring back that whole "world of fighting trophies" thing from subspace. I imagine you start with Original 8, and have to earn all the other characters over time. Maybe even have a cross platform promotion where all the characters youve unlocked on mobile will be automatically unlocked in Ultimate if you link your MyNintendo account.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, at this point, I just want to see what the artwork will look like when they introduce a new character to it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
ESRB0083 makes his debut as this game's surprise character! Armed with the power of photoshop, this dastardly villain combats his foes by turning them into Little Mac! Looks like we don't have a choice!
I can't believe Inkling was a photoshopped Little Mac all this time! I am so disappointed.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Alright, crazy prediction time. I predict that before December 7th, Nintendo will announce and release a Smash bros. mobile game. If i'm wrong, oh well i'll go eat a sandwich with mayonnaise or something.

Nintendo's goal for mobile games has consistantly been theses 3 points.
  1. Maximize the Number of People Who Have Access to Nintendo IP
  2. Smart-Device Business Profitable on Its Own
  3. Synergy with Dedicated Video Game System Business
The Smash series can easily check all three points. Smash Bros. would be an incredibly easy way for Nintendo to allow the mobile market to have access to all of their big name IPs at one time. A free to play app that has Mario and Pikachu's face plastered on the front is going to get a lot of people playing it and buying in game purchases. I could easily see linking your MyNintendo account giving you rewards inside the mobile game and possibly with Ultimate as well. Nintendo has sown a large mobile following, Smash Bros. could be where Nintendo can reap the casual popularity of mobile IPs and promote the switch though cross promotion and synergy between a mobile game and a dedicated console game.

The last Nintendo mobile game released was Animal Crossing: pocket camp, nearly a year ago in October 2017. There's been a large gap in the mobile release calendar for Nintendo, especially since their goal was to release 2 to 3 mobile games per year. There is another mobile game coming out in 2018 but it seems to be mainly focused for Japan. Having the Smash bros. mobile game release some time in October 2018 seems like a good fit, while the core audience was already sold by the E3 reveal, releasing a high profile App could really generate hype among the casual crowd as smash will still be fresh on their minds when Ultimate releases.

This portion is going to be just speculation. If we do get a Smash mobile game, I highly doubt that it will try to mimic the game play of the core series since the controls don't seem to transfer well to touch screen and would end up being a poor man's smash game. They'll most likely focus on the character aspect more. Nintendo has stated that they want their mobile games to be polished and unique, not just lazy ports.

The Nintendo mobile games do take inspiration from other successful mobile genres. Super Mario run is reminiscent of the endless runner genre while Pocket camp seems to take some inspiration from the social network genre games. A genre I could see them adapting smash into is something with collectibles, such as a virtual card game like hearthstone or a collectible RPG like Star Wars: Galaxy of heroes. Maybe have the collectibles be trophies and bring back that whole "world of fighting trophies" thing from subspace. I imagine you start with Original 8, and have to earn all the other characters over time. Maybe even have a cross platform promotion where all the characters youve unlocked on mobile will be automatically unlocked in Ultimate if you link your MyNintendo account.
If they announce that at EVO, It's gonna be Artifact all over again.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
yes this sounds unrealistic because why would Nintendo be working on this and not Sakurai directly, and if he was why would Sakurai increase his own workloard

D

Deleted member

So when do EVO reveals happen? I thought there already would be some big announcements by now, but do they save those for Finals Day tomorrow?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So when do EVO reveals happen? I thought there already would be some big announcements by now, but do they save those for Finals Day tomorrow?
Yep. Usually after the respective game's grand finals and after the 1st to 8th players are crowned.

D

Deleted member

What tends to get revealed at the end of EVO?
Games, DLC characters, depends. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle got revealed at EVO last year, the 1st year Injustice was at EVO, Martian Manhunter was confirmed as DLC, etc.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Man I am not even remotely expecting Smash news at the end of evo

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I would've been comfortable betting on a Smash announcement at EVO before Nintendo showed how tonedeaf they are with that items on, team attack off, two minute time match exhibitions, lol.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would've been comfortable betting on a Smash announcement at EVO before Nintendo showed how tonedeaf they are with that items on, team attack off, two minute time match exhibitions, lol.
No joke lmao

That was messy as hell

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
EVO was having Ultimate Exhibition Matches, not a tournament. Smash 4 and Melee were tourneys. Makes sense why EVO's Ultimate demo was more casual. Though it is funny timing to not do a tournament at EVO, yeah.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Character gameplay trailers and future game announcements.
Pretty much this.
So far all that's been confirmed for tonight is Arcsys revealing something for their 30th anniversary. Yesterday was deets about FighterZ for Switch, which is apparently adding 2v2 and 1v1 modes.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Yea they completely dropped the ball with those decisions. It's even more baffling when there just was a tourney in Spain (I think? could be wrong) that was doubles stock without items AND team attack on. Some matches had items, but still team attack was on (which was pretty humorous seeing Sonic's FS KO nobody but his own teammate). Makes me wonder if it was NoA's decision or demo builds have locked settings? It's like they specifically went out of their way to make the exhibition worse than just underwhelming.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Look closer. After Ganon got hit with the needles, his damage went up to 300.8% and then 305% after the finishing blow.
300.8%... Now that's some good unreadability. Hilarious.

Hopefully they'll switch some of these set-ups at EVO over to good settings at some point. I know Nintendo's game here is that they're trying to sell the wild items on game to people and use competitive players as basically free salesmen by making them play with dumb settings, but items on games are really just a lot less fun and interesting to watch. The items are ridiculously in the way when players try to avoid them, and when players try to use them, they pretty much become the entire game and what the characters can do other than recover doesn't seem to matter much at all.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
300.8%... Now that's some good unreadability. Hilarious.
To be fair, it might be a biiiit more readable when you're not looking at a direct feed instead of a video of someone recording the screen.
But yeah. It didn't lock the percentages, would have been interesting but alas.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Still, seeing that some final smashes can be super armored through was a plus.

Man if you can perfect shield Marth/Lucina's Critical Hit I will lose my damn mind.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Verg is the kind of guy who openly insults the Smash community behind their backs, just look at his most recent MvC leak to see that in full action. That's "slimy."
I'd be curious to see that, because people don't bring that up very often. Could anyone send a link to this specific statement made by Vergeben?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I do like how the fixed sudden death though

It shrinks the stage like the walls closing in one of the action moves (firewalls) so they can't play chicken for too long

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What tends to get revealed at the end of EVO?
I doubt anything Smash. I'm really only hoping to get some more Soul Calibur names.

Though since I said that, watch them drop a Smash trailer randomly.
Well it sold at least 350 thousand units on consoles and probably a good amount on the PC where the mods are famous (in many ways) , oh and also it recieved an Award for Excellence in 2012 from the Japan Game Awards
Skyrim was the first-ever Western game to get a 40 from Famitsu. It’s actually pretty popular over there, probably the most out of any Bethesda game from what I’ve heard.
Really? Well, shows how much character speculation research I do... I guess I was too nervous to check - I'd always figured Western games go over like a lead balloon there, especially when it comes to Bethesda's RPGs.

But that's good to know. I guess that means Dovahkiin doesn't have an absolute zero chance, maybe more like 0.000000000001%.
Come on Sakurai! Dovahkiin for Smash! :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom