• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving (or Yuri Lowell)
I really need games like these to help get to the next info drop. Thanks for coming up with this sort of thing. These are my most wanted, whether they are likely or not. Who cares, right? Let's have some fun with this!

1. Geno - Super Mario RPG was the first RPG that I ever played. Also, one of the first times Nintendo let another company handle Mario characters. Lots of cool history with this game. Plus, been waiting since Brawl...
2. Crono - Chrono Trigger is my favorite JRPG. Crono, Frog, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Ayla, and Magus are all so memorable to me. And, that game had such a cool story. Anyways, give Crono some blonde hair, orange/blue clothing and you can have a fake Goku!
3. Team Rocket Grunt/Giovanni - Pokemon needs a true villain. Mewtwo has kinda been it, but I think Team Rocket would be so much better. Plus, more Pokemon for the fans of that series!
4. Shadow the Hedgehog - Recently recognized as the second most popular Sonic the Hedgehog character. Shadow would be a perfect "Luigified" clone to Sonic. Don't want to talk about Echoes/Clone/Unique with him anymore since most in here have talked it to death recently...
5. Tails the Fox - Sonic's Luigi. Deserves love. Always liked Tails and thought he would have been a perfect second Sonic rep, though I like Shadow a bit more. Anyway, he definitely deserves it out of most of the Sonic cast.
6. Sora - The Kingdom Hearts series really pulled me in more than I thought it would initially. And, Sora is super popular. I think he is definitely deserving of being in a "video game hall of fame" sort of game.
7. King K. Rool - DK needs his villain. His fans are waiting. Don't make them wait anymore.
8. Dixie Kong - So close, and like above, DK just needs more representation. She's cool. And her fans are waiting as well.
9. Ashley - I know absolutely nothing about this character, but her fans have made me want her to make it in. Pulling for her just because of that.
10. Boshi - Why not? Yoshi needs a villain. If not Boshi, then Kamek.

For those struggling on who Puff's villain would be
Awesome. Cleffairy would be a great villain for Puff. Would like to see that as an Echo. Sure, the floating wouldn't work, but whatever. Give Cleffairy Metronome as its Final Smash, allowing her to randomly use any character's FS. That would be hilarious!

Anyway, the thing with Shadow is that he has fans who like him as he is for his personality, not just his moveset. Some prefer him as similar to Sonic, some prefer him as more unique. When it comes to making him an Echo or not, there's no way to avoid backlash at this point. It's controversial either way. All that matters is what Sakurai feels works best, same with Sega. Sega clearly sees him fine as being a clone of Sonic to begin with. Sakurai may or may not.
"No way to avoid backlash at this point"? Sonic's fanbase is used to dishing out backlash... Kinda /s?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Found a nifty little thing while "leak" hunting on GameFAQs. The creators of the roster "leak" where Isaac was a modded Roy came forward and talked about it. Thread link here, but I've also quoted it below:

Props to Jeff_Mercer and his friend yukirinlove for giving us an image leak to break up the monotony of text leaks. If you guys had put more work into it it could've possibly been the Palutena leak of this speculation period. You get a star for effort though. View attachment 154853
Something that always bothers me on other people's CSS mockups, as someone who loves to make these myself: The renders are almost always so zoomed out compared to the official ones. Like people try to show off more of the model, when the design aesthetic has always been to fill the box with mostly just the character's face.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Time to start a convo.

What's your guys' thoughts on Story Mode happening? Guaranteed, Likely, Not Very Likely, Definitely Not Happening?

Me personally, I think it's likely this time around.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Time to start a convo.

What's your guys' thoughts on Story Mode happening? Guaranteed, Likely, Not Very Likely, Definitely Not Happening?

Definitely Not Happening, unless it's watered down to unnecessary, few second cutscenes like in Melee.
Would like to see it, though.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Time to start a convo.

Probably not. People don't care for story mode as much these days. Fact is stuff like Smash Tour is easier to develop don't need to hire writers and make expensive cutscenes etc.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Time to start a convo.

My gut says "not very likely to happen," but I feel like we may get a somewhat more fleshed out Adventure mode than Melee's.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
A Melee styled adventure mode is possible.

Another Subspace Emmisary is absolutely not happening unless Sakurai is a wizard.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Predictions for bottom 5 fighters

I'll rank who I think will be bottom 5 subject to change of course as the game is changed during development

5) Olimar ,low pikmin limit unlike brawl is still present which hurts him badly, better recovery, not much else going for him.

4) King Dedede, had a good run with his chain grabs in brawl, rather awful now I don't see much changing for him not much combo potential.

3) Kirby too similar to smash 4 Kirby which wasn't great.

2) Jigglypuff, very viable in melee has gotten progressively worse in every smash game since I don't have high hopes for him but you never know.

1) Ice Climbers, no wobbling, no chain grabs, bad ai leading to easy kills for when one is knocked out when the partner only does 50% damage you know you're in trouble. Easily the worst character in smash so far.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Time to start a convo.

Not Very Likely, but I do feel we're getting more for solo than what we did on Smash 4

we'll see

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
  1. Good Ol LGBT Ally and #1Suoerstar Bandana Waddle Dee
  2. Isabelle (Dog Leslie Knope)
  3. Emo Queen Ashley
  4. Buff Mom Impa
  5. ULTRA Buff Mom Urbosa
  6. Chrom, if only to fulfil my Chrobin Fantasies. Nintendo are cowards for not making Male!Robin able to Romance Chrom DESPITE them having the most chemistry out of the entire cast. If you’re playing fem!Robin, chrom is essentially handed to you shirtless on a silver platter. I’m don’t know how to video games, does Nintendo seriously expect me to know how to HACK in the gays??? Three Houses better have some good gay content or else I’m never touching Fire Emblem, straight up.
  7. Dixie Kong, bangs and all
  8. King K. Rool, for the fans
  9. Geno?? Geno.
  10. Elma if only for that good strong female character vibe she has. I like it.

D

Deleted member

I'll rank who I think will be bottom 5 subject to change of course as the game is changed during development

5) Olimar ,low pikmin limit unlike brawl is still present which hurts him badly, better recovery, not much else going for him.

4) King Dedede, had a good run with his chain grabs in brawl, rather awful now I don't see much changing for him not much combo potential.

2) Jigglypuff, very viable in melee has gotten progressively worse in every smash game since I don't have high hopes for him but you never know.

1) Ice Climbers, no wobbling, no chain grabs, bad ai leading to easy kills for when one is knocked out when the partner only does 50% damage you know you're in trouble. Easily the worst character in smash so far.
I don't see :ultpichu:?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey Everyone! It's time for another one of Guybrush's Crackpot Theories!

Looking at the scroll par under the videos on the main page of the web site and messing around in paint to make sure, there seems to be enough room for up to seven videos (3.5 each side). Could this mean 7 more trailers?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Looking at the scroll par under the videos on the main page of the web site and messing around in paint to make sure, there seems to be enough room for up to seven videos (3.5 each side). Could this mean 7 more trailers?
Considering that Echo probably won't get trailers, 7 original newcomers besides Ridley and Inkling would be quite nice.

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Eh, a lot of people have tried to theorize based on website layout in the past. It never pans out. 7 is around what I expect though so we'll see.
I don't see :ultpichu:?
Honestly Pikachu looks so good in Ultimate that I don't see Pichu ending up in the bottom 5 even if he's a fundamentally bad character.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember that 7 videos doen't mean 7 newcomers per se, one could just be a hypothetical Smash Direct (Though I think they'd bundle in an echo to that)

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Too add to the crackpot theory, 6-7 newcomers does seem to be what a certain leak was suggesting...if you subscribe to that

Shadow Ops

Smash Rookie
I think we'll be getting eleven characters this time around including the ones already revealed. 7 newcomers and 4 Echoes

1) Inkling
2) Ridley
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)

1) Daisy
2)
3)
4)

I personally believe Sakurai didn't give clones new name for the good of his heart he's going to capitalize on giving them a name. So that's why I'm expecting more clones this time around then before

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Literally 3 of the characters on your list weren't even playable in the demo of a game that you haven't played nor has anyone really gotten enough time to figure out. Also, didn't IC do like, 70% damage in a juggle in the UK Invitational?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
1. K. Rool
2. Geno
3. Bandana Dee
4. Skull Kid
5. Porky
6. Dark Matter
7. Dark Samus
8. Crash
9. Simon Belmont
10. Shovel Knight

I think my actual most wanted list would shuffle things around quite a bit, this list is ordered as more of a "How glaring a miss would these characters be to me" kind of list mixed with what I'd like. The top three are absolutely essential imo, the rest I'd just be very happy to see.

For the record the roster is already very very close to being perfect for me, after Brawl I've always said that I just needed Ridley and the roster would be perfect for me, and now we have him + every veteran back, so I'm already very satisfied, I'm just hoping for the last few loose ends to be tied up now.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
Mine would be:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Isaac
3. Dixie Kong
4. King K. Rool
5. Bomberman (yes I know, but in a perfect world)
6. Tingle
7. Captain Syrup
8. Isabelle
9. Ashley
10. Impa

Would like to see a bunch more, but those are my top 10 for the time being. Sadly it's kind of 50/50. Half of them are pretty likely I think, and the other half are pretty much just not happening (or already confirmed not happening). I love them all just the same though.

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
So after a lot of thought, I think this would be my final roster wishlist, not so crazy but I think this would make a lot of people happy, what do you think?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So after a lot of thought, I think this would be my final roster wishlist, not so crazy but I think this would make a lot of people happy, what do you think?

Not bad. I like Bandana Dee and Dixie, but the lack of a Pokemon newcomer is disheartening.

(Also, Linkle being an Echo of Link would be terrible. We already have three Links. Do we really need a fourth?)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Playing DK Arcade Archive on my Switch reminded me of the 75M stage. To be specific, that we have an Arcade DK stage... and it isn't the classic horizontal girders. Smash is content with picking 1-1: Grassy Plains for most levels so why they shook things up for DK Arcade is beyond me. A 25M stage wouldn't be more playable or enjoyable than the 75M trash fire, but it'd at least be more iconic.

Any pieces of content in Smash whose inclusion honestly surprises and baffles you?

Shadow Ops

Smash Rookie
Playing DK Arcade Archive on my Switch reminded me of the 75M stage. To be specific, that we have an Arcade DK stage... and it isn't the classic horizontal girders. Smash is content with picking 1-1: Grassy Plains for most levels so why they shook things up for DK Arcade is beyond me. A 25M stage wouldn't be more playable or enjoyable than the 75M trash fire, but it'd at least be more iconic.

Any pieces of content in Smash whose inclusion honestly surprises and baffles you?
It was quite funny that the 3ds got the Pac-Maze stage. A good stage that references the original game.

While Wii U gets this absolute hideous landfill of a stage.

Like what in the world were they thinking it baffles my mind

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It was quite funny that the 3ds got the Pac-Maze stage. A good stage that references the original game.

Pac-Land is sexy

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The Hamtaro games in Brawl's Chronicle feature.

Seriously though, the games are apparently good and all, but why licensed games are acknowledged in any form whatsoever in a series focusing on game-exclusive IPs is beyond me.

I would prefer the Famicom version of that, since at least it would be in 8-bit.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Time to start a convo.

In terms of a Subspace level story mode, definitely not happening. I just don't see the concept being revisited after its initial lukewarm reception.

In terms of a Melee level adventure mode, I think its fairly likely. One of the biggest complaints of Smash 4 was the lack of single player content, so a short 10-15 minute Adventure mode seems in the cards.

Zorfendor

Smash Cadet

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
1. Lloyd Irving
2. King K. Rool
3. Sora
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Dixie Kong
6. Professor Layton
7. Any WarioWare rep
8. Captain Toad
9. Decidueye
10. Isaac

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Hamtaro games in Brawl's Chronicle feature.

Seriously though, the games are apparently good and all, but why licensed games are acknowledged in any form whatsoever in a series focusing on game-exclusive IPs is beyond me.

I would prefer the Famicom version of that, since at least it would be in 8-bit.
The motion sensor bombs in 64 and localised versions of Melee were the proximity mines from Goldeneye, so Smash has had content from licensed games from the start.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I liked Pac-Land.

D

Deleted member

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
#01 - Pretty Shantae
#02 - Pretty Shantae
#03 - Pretty Shantae
#04 - Pretty Shantae
#05 - Pretty Shantae
#06 - Pretty Shantae
#07 - Pretty Shantae
#08 - Pretty Shantae
#09 - Pretty Shantae
#10 - Pretty Shantae

#11 - An XC2 character
#12 - Dixie Kong
#13 - K. Rool
#14 - Elma
#15 - Paper Mario

Anyone else is a bonus except any OC from Hyrule Warriors.

D

Deleted member

That last video changed my life. Are there mods for every single character like that?
Yup! My April Fool's day modpack replaced every single character's head with Alph's and I made Alph the default on Olimar's slot. All other costumes were disabled so there was no escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom