• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
‘Smash Bros. Ultimate' New Characters May Be Revealed Sooner Than You Think

I saw this a few days back and thought it was curious at the very least... thoughts?
Since this is a tournament Nintendo themselves are covering (they didn’t cover CEO or the France one) they COULD reveal something, but it’s unlikely, and if they do reveal a newcomer, it probably WON’T be tied to Aces, unless they announce (hypothetical scenario that’s the only one that makes sense in my head) Dixie for Aces and then later for Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would assume they would have a team of people read them and summarize the various points about why they should be included to Sakurai.

It’s clear that Sakurai wants a reason to why people want in so much.

For example, in the ballot I voted for Issac and I talked about his incredible move set potential that can make him unique among the roster and about the Golden Sun game’s themselves and how Issac would allow Golden Sun to grow.

That sort of stuff to convince the team to go and make Issac playable.
Yeah but there's also the character limit on the box decreasing real content and I would assume that reading team is already overloaded with international requests, dupicate posters, and spam.

Honestly, if you want my opinion, if Sakurai really was looking to put a fan character in the game, he would hold a "Make a character" contest which would severely filter out the low-effort content while providing more concrete character concepts.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Here's a new game. Pick 8 newcomers(Unique or Echo), but they must start with each letter in ULTIMATE. I'l start:

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a new game. Pick 8 newcomers(Unique or Echo), but they must start with each letter in ULTIMATE. I'l start:

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Uuuuhhhhhh
U - no idea
L - Lip???
T - Twintelle
I - Isaac
M - no idea
A - I guess Ashley
T (2nd) - no idea
E - Elma

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I can't shake the feeling banjo and kazooie are being underconsidered

I mean vergeben said minecraft is involved somehow so Microsoft is involved if true and Phil gave the thumbs up if he came up and said I would like to put banjo in and safe bet he did well in the ballot

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hmm...well, here's a question for some fun!

If what Sakurai says is true, and we start out with only the original 8 on the roster...well, let's put the questions this way:

1) Who would you want to unlock first and why?
2) Would you want to do it the "streamlined" way, or go a potential alternate route and unlock them "Melee" style?
3) Would you want to do it all on your own or with friends along for the ride?

Personally, I always loved having to complete certain tasks to unlock certain characters back in the old days of Melee. Sometimes I've even thought about deleting my Melee data and going through the game all over again. Those days of Donkey Kong with his Down-B on 100 Man Melee to get Falco...those were the days!

If the game allows you to complete certain requirements to unlock certain characters, I think I might try to do it in order of when the characters were added. A lot of my favorites are in newer rosters (Greninja, Shulk, Ike, Snake) but because I feel like this could be my Smash for a long time and this series really means something to me, I'll unlock them in order if I can manage it. The nostalgia would be off the charts!

If I have to choose who to unlock first, and not in order, probably Snake, Cloud, Ike, and Shulk. Well, maybe Greninja too. But it would be weird having those guys and not Bowser for example.

The streamlining may be easier, but I think there's more value in it for me if there are other requirements to get them...like the 20 hours of Melee for Mewtwo!

I'm not sure about having my friends with me...like it'd be a ton of fun to hang with friends and take turns, but it's also like a personal thing for me. I've always unlocked everybody myself in Smash. Like if somebody was fighting somebody to unlock them, I would totally be like, "But I wanted to do that..."

It's the little kid in me I guess :awesome:!
I’d want to unlock everyone as soon as possible...but I need Squirtle most. Zelda too.

I don’t really care about the unlock requirements, but I hope that they aren’t too grind-y. Melee Mewtwo was tough for solo players.

And I don’t get much chance to play with friends, but I’m unlocking everything myself before I call him to come over. My game.
When the only real argument behind the point is "Well it COULD happen!" then yes, I consider on a conspiracy theory level.

GAME TIME: THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERS ARE ASSIST TROPHIES. THOUGHTS!
K.Rool
Dixie
Cranky
All 4 BotW champions
Simon Belmont
Bandana Dee
Galacta Knight
Ken
Rex
Melia
Crash
Geno
Anthony from Other M
K. Rool would annoy me. He deserves to be playable.

Everyone else, though...that’s ok. I want the four Champions to have the same role, so that’d be cool, and I’d consider it a wasted opportunity if Cranky doesn’t get a codec, but I’d be perfectly fine with the rest as assists.

Like I said, there’s really only one major character besides K. Rool I want, and if he’s in, I will accept Shrek and Goku in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Unfezant
Looker
Trevenant
Isabelle
Merric
Abraham Lincoln
Tobin
Elma

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't shake the feeling banjo and kazooie are being underconsidered

I mean vergeben said minecraft is involved somehow so Microsoft is involved if true and Phil gave the thumbs up if he came up and said I would like to put banjo in and safe bet he did well in the ballot
*more people not understanding Phil was merely saying he loves free money*
80b7591b7ce6d8af724c2bd4e9a933cce70913f0fa93d3b0896a4984a74ba6a3.gif

WHO ELSE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW FREE EASY BRAND PROMOTION WORKS?

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Urbosa (couldn't think of anything else rly)
Lanky Kong
Tatanga
Incineroar
Marx
Adeleine
Tryclyde
Elma (couldn't think of anything else rly)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Urbosa
Lip
Togetic and Togepi as a duo character, like Ice Climbers or RosaLuma
Isabelle
Meowth
Ashley
Tetra
Eggman

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfezant
Looker
Trevenant
Isabelle
Merric
Abraham Lincoln
Tobin
Elma
Actually forget Abe. I'll put Celica in through the power of loopholes by calling her Anthiese. :p

EchoAegis

Need time to think?

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Ulma
Llma
Tlma
Ilma
Mlma
Alma
Tlma
Elma

Too easy

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Lara Croft
Tails
Inky (Pac Man)
M. Bison
Aerith Gainsborough
Terra Branford
Eggman

I present to you the ''BUT MUH NINTENDO" EDITION!

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
U - Urbosa
L - Lyndis
T - Tapu Koko
I - Isaac
M - Masked Man
A - Ashley
T - Tails
E - Elma

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Urbosa
Lana
Tiki
Impa
Majora
Ashley
Tetra
Edelgard

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

If what Sakurai says is true, and we start out with only the original 8 on the roster...well, let's put the questions this way:

2) Would you want to do it the "streamlined" way, or go a potential alternate route and unlock them "Melee" style?

Personally, I always loved having to complete certain tasks to unlock certain characters back in the old days of Melee. Sometimes I've even thought about deleting my Melee data and going through the game all over again. Those days of Donkey Kong with his Down-B on 100 Man Melee to get Falco...those were the days!

If the game allows you to complete certain requirements to unlock certain characters, I think I might try to do it in order of when the characters were added. A lot of my favorites are in newer rosters (Greninja, Shulk, Ike, Snake) but because I feel like this could be my Smash for a long time and this series really means something to me, I'll unlock them in order if I can manage it. The nostalgia would be off the charts!

If I have to choose who to unlock first, and not in order, probably Snake, Cloud, Ike, and Shulk. Well, maybe Greninja too. But it would be weird having those guys and not Bowser for example.

The streamlining may be easier, but I think there's more value in it for me if there are other requirements to get them...like the 20 hours of Melee for Mewtwo!

I'm not sure about having my friends with me...like it'd be a ton of fun to hang with friends and take turns, but it's also like a personal thing for me. I've always unlocked everybody myself in Smash. Like if somebody was fighting somebody to unlock them, I would totally be like, "But I wanted to do that..."

1. Jigglypuff or Zelda. They are my favourite characters from the first games, and it'd fun to recruit everyone with them, especially Jigglypuff.
2. Streamlined makes more sense but I'll say Melee style, I have time. But if it takes too long to get Smash For characters, I'm cheating.
3. Friends, hahaha, good one.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
U: Urbosa is literally the only one i can think of.

L: Lyn (R.I.P :( )

T: The Black Knight ;)

I: Isabelle/Issac

M: Micaiah/ Marx

A: Amaterasu

T: Tetra

E: Ephraim/elma i guess

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Have we heard about the July 22 Nintendo Direct leak? Apparently this is from the guy who accurately leaked Nintendo Funkopops and Mario Kart 8 DLC.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Have we heard about the July 22 Nintendo Direct leak? Apparently this is from the guy who accurately leaked Nintendo Funkopops and Mario Kart 8 DLC.
22nd is a Sunday.

if there were to be a direct next week it'd be the wrong date regardless.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
U - Urbosa
L - Lyn
T - Toad
I - Impa
M - Medusa
A - Ashely
T - Titania
E - Elma

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay, but now my serious edition:

U - Urbosa
L - Lara Croft
T - Tails
I - Isabelle
M - Mimikyu
A - Ashley
T - Tetra
E - Elma

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s slightly less likely but I’d also like to see Bravely Default/Second, Star Ocean, and even NieR Automata music.

Oh YES and I need TWEWY music in badly
Imagine characters fighting while the song "Give Me all Your Love" plays in the background. I can already imagine it and it's hilarious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And Aonuma for preventing :ultganondorf: having his Dead Man Volley.

And making :ultlink: right-hande-- wait.
Am I honestly one of the only people around here who doesn't mind all that much that Ganondorf has no projectile with that Dead Man Volley? It was designed so that it could be reflected back at him.. in Smash, it would be terrible on his moveset. The last thing Ganondorf needs is being hit by his own projectiles lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Am I honestly one of the only people around here who doesn't mind all that much that Ganondorf has no projectile with that Dead Man Volley? It was designed so that it could be reflected back at him.. in Smash, it would be terrible on his moveset. The last thing Ganondorf needs is being hit by his own projectiles lol
I could care less about him having a projectile but this is kinda like the Captain Toad can't jump thing for me.

If the ability puts them at a serious disadvantage you could easily just ignore it. Much like Captain Toad could still just be able to jump.

And the Dead Man's Volley ability for Ganondorf despite it's name, could just in Smash be something he uses and can't be reflected at him.

Sometimes we get a little too out of hand when it comes to faithfulness.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*more people not understanding Phil was merely saying he loves free money*
View attachment 153119
WHO ELSE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW FREE EASY BRAND PROMOTION WORKS?
He still acknowledged it Gwen. You'd be hard pressed to find another head of a publisher in the world that would acknowledge something like that. The closest thing that comes to mind is Ed Boon with NetherRealm and he's no where near the head of power that Phil is. If he says he's okay with it and Sakurai likes the idea then you cannot deny that it is a genuinely viable possibility. It's not the days of console wars anymore. We're in a time where Microsoft happily promotes a game of their own on a Nintendo system and is also happy to cross-play with Nintendo on said game and more games present and future. Sony is still trapped trying to save the console wars and is taking serious flak for it.

You can't just dismiss a statement from the head of Xbox as "Free Brand Promotion" anymore. It's a genuinely possible outcome that Banjo-Kazooie makes it in. Snake was impossible, Cloud was impossible, and now Banjo is impossible. Things change. And we all know how much Sakurai loves to surprise his fans.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I get it's the most magicy thing Ganondorf done in OoT but I'm not too upset over the loss of Dead Man's Volley. I prefer Ganondorf doing the fight himself.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

1. Ridley, because I've waited long enough already, and I'd quickly grow impatient having to go through so many characters to get to him. Other than that I'm not opposed to unlocking everyone in order, all of my favorites bar Lucina are from 64-Brawl, so I assume I'll have them within a short-ish amount of time anyways.

2. Definitely streamlined, having to unlock 60+ characters in the Melee way sounds absolutely awful. I know everyone has fond memories of unlocking characters in Melee, but having gone through unlocking characters in Melee several times I've come to realize just how much of a chore it is, and I also doubt they'd be able to come up with unique unlock criteria for every single character. Unlocking Mewtwo is always cited by people as being a great memory from their childhood, but I honestly don't think you can recapture something like that in this day and age, there's just no way you're going to get 20+ hours of played time while the secrecy around a character of such stature remains.

3. I always share the duty with my brother, who's played every single Smash game with me, so for the ones we don't unlock through VS matches played we'll probably take turns unlocking.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He still acknowledged it Gwen. You'd be hard pressed to find another head of a publisher in the world that would acknowledge something like that. The closest thing that comes to mind is Ed Boon with NetherRealm and he's no where near the head of power that Phil is. If he says he's okay with it and Sakurai likes the idea then you cannot deny that it is a genuinely viable possibility. It's not the days of console wars anymore. We're in a time where Microsoft happily promotes a game of their own on a Nintendo system and is also happy to cross-play with Nintendo on said game and more games present and future. Sony is still trapped trying to save the console wars and is taking serious flak for it.

You can't just dismiss a statement from the head of Xbox as "Free Brand Promotion" anymore. It's a genuinely possible outcome that Banjo-Kazooie makes it in. Snake was impossible, Cloud was impossible, and now Banjo is impossible. Things change. And we all know how much Sakurai loves to surprise his fans.
But you know what? Almost EVERY game developer would very much want their character in Smash. I'm TIRED of people always acting like Sakurai will get the OK to get a Microsoft character and not get something from a franchise that isn't dead. If they ever announce a 6th game any time soon, sure, I'll consider taking Banjo Kazooie as a potential candidate. Literally what is so special about Phil saying that over for example, the Meat Boy devs campaigning for Meat Boy in Smash?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Ultimate Luigi
Luigi 2
Triple Luigi
Ice Luigi
Mr. L
Android Luigi
Tiny Luigi
Evil Luigi
And the Dead Man's Volley ability for Ganondorf despite it's name, could just in Smash be something he uses and can't be reflected at him.
But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having Dead Man's Volley in the first place?

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate's mantra seems to be 'fast.' A four minute intro probably won't be that. I think the Title screen will be the art scroll with all of the characters and the Title in the bottom corner.
One thing that would be cool is if it updated the more characters you got. Kinda like how Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff were silhouettes at the end of Smash 64's intro, but a character's silhouette would fill in after unlocking them.

...Actually now that I think about it, the 3DS version scrolled through every character you had unlocked on the bottom screen when you are at the title.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Dead Man's Volley wasn't thrown onto characters like a Blue Stalfos, I'd be more interested in giving it to Ganondorf in Smash. It just never felt like a "Ganon move" so much as an "interesting boss move that gets repeated". I feel it's better left out now that it isn't even a signature move to Ganon-related characters. Agnahim, Phantom Ganon, Ganondorf, even Twinrova at least relate to Ganon in some way. Whether family or otherwise. But even ones like the Cubus Sisters use it. It's just not clearly some key move to the Ganon characters and it feels more like it'd be shoehorned in just for the sake of having a projectile. I'd love for Ganondorf to see more improvements, but there's better ways to do it at this point. Give him better approaching options, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom