• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
HEY SO UH

Found this in the Bandana Dee thread, does this mean there’s gonna be a direct soon??
I'll probably get beat to this, but we've already discussed. It's coverage of a tournament/demo gameplay and so probably not much.

However I stand firm by the fact it's the first time since E3 that Nintendo is giving direct coverage of a tournament or just gameplay of Ultimate. There was no Nintendo coverage of Rage, CEO or the France event. So it might be a good idea to atleast keep an eye on it. It's 10 pm EST on Sunday night.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
How do all of these fake leaks have a full DLC roster? Hasn't Sakurai confirmed that the last game didn't start thinking about DLC until it was done? All they had for Mewtwo between Sept of 3DS release and Nov of WiiU release was an unposed model of Mewtwo.

I get that many scummy companies *coughEAcough* plan all of the DLC first and spend development time on it so they can sell it on release, but Nintendo hasn't pulled tricks like that. Yet.
While I don’t think any development on DLC definitely hasn’t begun. I think Sakurai already knows which characters he wants to after he is done with the base game, such as characters from recent games with success (Rex and Pyra, Spring Man), some ballot characters he wasn’t able to add on time, or any 3rd Party ballot characters (ala Sora).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
In terms of third-party Assist Trophies, this will probably never happen cause they have to go through Taito but I'd love to see Cooking Mama.

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
I kinda wish we knew who is and isn't gonna be an AT, lol. If my dreams of Bandana Dee and Ashley are gonna get crushed, I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later so I can have proper expectations for the rest of the game.
Saaaaaame.

"Jump Victory Carnival 2018" will be held at Makuhari Messe in Chiba Prefecture on 7/16 (Monday, congratulation) and at INTEX Osaka in Osaka Prefecture on 7/22 (Sunday).
At the Nintendo booth, we will hold a "winning challenge" that will challenge three consecutive victories between visitors and customers at "Super Brawl Smash Bros. SPECIAL" and "Mario Tennis Ace".
On this page we will live stream of July 16th.

A translation found on GameFaqs
Jump Victory Carnival? Oh man, GOKU CONFIRMED!!!1! /s

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Which returning fighter are you most excited for? This is probably an unpopular opinion, but for me it's Young Link. :ultyounglink:
looks up by his avatar

I'd say Dedede, probably by a large margin. For obvious reasons.

But I am excited for Snake and Young Link, too. I was never great with Snake in Brawl, but he was a lot of fun to watch at high level play in that game (plus being a MGS superfan, it's always nice to see him around). Young Link I've always had a fondness for playstyle-wise, chucking all of the stuff and darting around with all the weapons.

Smooth Criminal

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
In terms of third-party Assist Trophies, this will probably never happen cause they have to go through Taito but I'd love to see Cooking Mama.
Just thinking about Cooking Mama, she would be such a sick character and TBH I would be down for it

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm pretty sure Nana is protected by outside harm while Popo is grabbed, she seemed to be standing in a background-ish position a la Pokemon Trainer. Though that's just from footage, we don't know if it's true here.
.....wat.

Even if she's protected from outside harm, that doesn't do anything for her in competitive 1v1s. That also wasn't exactly what i was saying either. I was saying it sucks why she can't attack while Popo was holding onto the opponent.

I mean yeah in free for alls its cool one player cant grab Popo while another gets rid of Nana but free for alls don't have anything to do with viability.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Just thinking about cooking mama she would be such a sick character and TBH I would be down for it
Precisely what I mean!

But now that I think about it, Taito is completely owned by Square Enix aren't they, so now that I think about it Mama could actually be an Assist Trophy, negotiations wouldn't be too bad since they've already gone through Square.

D

Deleted member

HEY SO UH

Found this in the Bandana Dee thread, does this mean there’s gonna be a direct soon??
*breath in*
boi Sorry if I sound like a broken record but it's just a competition that will probably give us no news and we should probably not get out hopes up because that leads to disappointment which leads to salt and salt is bad

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
.....wat.

Even if she's protected from outside harm, that doesn't do anything for her in competitive 1v1s. That also wasn't exactly what i was saying either. I was saying it sucks why she can't attack while Popo was holding onto the opponent.

I mean yeah in free for alls its cool one player cant grab Popo while another gets rid of Nana but free for alls don't have anything to do with viability.
Well it'll help them in doubles!

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I am destined to become friends with someone I love, on my birthday?

So is it saying I'll become somegirl's boyfriend on my birthday?:)

Or that I'm fated to unrequited love to the girl I love, and we just end up as friends on my birthday?

I don't know how to feel about this game anymore.
You can be dating someone and still be friends with them, those two terms don't have to be mutually exclusive.

(My joking nature probably isn't reading well with this post, please know I'm not being overly serious. Also I figured you were joking too)

Regardless, this game claims: I will be timed out by my best friend on YouTube.

Case in point, my best friend (who is my girlfriend) is fairly bad at Smash, so I have trouble seeing her beating me in a timed match. But who knows, stranger things have happened :p

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The only other character from Titio I could see being an Assist other than Mama is Bub from Bubble Bobble, honestly I could see them citing a good relationship with Square.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
*breath in*
boi Sorry if I sound like a broken record but it's just a competition that will probably give us no news and we should probably not get out hopes up because that leads to disappointment which leads to salt and salt is bad
I defintely don't support getting hopes up, especially when smash speculation hopes can reach astronomical values, but I defintely think it's something to look to.

HOWEVER the fact that there's another one like the following week doesn't bode well lol. You never know though!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
So, we're getting another tournament on the 22nd?

Guess i'll have to update my prediction about what could be revealed.

Chiba: A new game mode
Osaka: Another new game mode and/or a new character

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Just thinking about Cooking Mama, she would be such a sick character and TBH I would be down for it
Yes please that would be amazing if she was actually playable.
You can be dating someone and still be friends with them, those two terms don't have to be mutually exclusive.

(My joking nature probably isn't reading well with this post, please know I'm not being overly serious. Also I figured you were joking too)

Regardless, this game claims: I will be timed out by my best friend on YouTube.

Case in point, my best friend (who is my girlfriend) is fairly bad at Smash, so I have trouble seeing her beating me in a timed match. But who knows, stranger things have happened :p
Yeah I was just kidding:)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So what are the chances we see a Bookwork Adventures Deluxe character? Bookworm himself has been teaching kids to read for a long time, and I'd consider him one of the more important video game characters out there.

Zeox

Smash Champion
So what are the chances we see a Bookwork Adventures Deluxe character? Bookworm himself has been teaching kids to read for a long time, and I'd consider him one of the more important video game characters out there.
You also saw that new Dunkey's video... didn't you

D

Deleted member

That Kirby does not look cute and looks like it needs to be nuked or else it will kill everything in its sight.
I mean we did get Bomberman as an AT though.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I am destined to Falcon Punch a new player on my birthday (technically next year or after once this game is released). What about you?
My destiny is to never take a game off of my favorite player at a local.
Not like I was going to beat them, anyway.
*sob*

domriver

Smash Lord
So i was a bit shocked last time when Sakurai mentioned Mayu and Mio from Fatal Frame on the trophy section. Wouldn't that be nice? Another duo- character or just Mayu or Mio or anyone of the Fatal Frame characters. I know someone made a move set for them. That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Plus it could be a WTF character from Sakurai. Please discuss.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Can't think of any other character who might be a recurrent sidekick/partner to Wario or a "bad" version of Luigi, nope.
That actually does bring up some interesting comparisons; both characters have troubles socializing, but while Luigi is awkward but can still make a good number of friends, Ashley often flat out rejects any sort of interaction, and has little to no friends as a result. It's a neat little contrast that fits the two neatly.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
im bored so i wanna list off some potential cool sounding assists:

-Chargin Chuck
-Lynel
-Phantoon
-Cait Sith
-Poochy
-Grand Doomer
-Professor Hector
-Muddy Mole
-Ulala
-Ristar
-Arthur
-Klonoa
-Stanley
-Teleroboxer
-Hakkun

Ashley's just the most popular, if there was another "side character" to wario in warioware, it would be jimmy t or mona. Ashley's just really popular, she gets all the merch and stuff so nintendo know this.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So, Sakurai has said that the game will not be as technical as Melee, yet it still seem to have some competetive value. What are yall's opinions on this?

Link: https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/09/super-smash-bros-director-melee-technical-ultimate-will-accessible/
I mean yeah.
While I'm sure a lot of people don't agree with it, they do have their design philosophies they like to strongly adhere to.
At least they're trying to edge closer to pleasing more people now.

Also, unrelated to the question, I remember reading about this interview a little while ago on reddit, and a ton of people were like "yeah i stopped playing cause it killed my hands" too, as well as the dedication it takes to be "good enough" with Melee that a lot of people don't have the time for , so they turn to the "newer, easier games"

Disclaimer: man i just like playing smash i'll play whatever is on the screen lol

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All ya'll talking about "leaks" we covered days ago again. Do I need to start breaking out the Slowpoke Song?

Anyways, some of you might have noticed that I privated the original Smash "Leaks" Character Count. That's because I've decided to change up the way that I present "leaks" going forward. After recent developments have brought to light that:
  • Yes, there is crossover between people viewing this thread and wannabe 4chan "leakers"
    From this, it's reasonable to assume that:
  • Wannabe leakers make low quality leaks to get a kick out of us critiquing and cataloguing them,
So, I've decided to try to curb any publicity that these leaks get, at least here on Smashboards. Before I elaborate I would like to say that no, I will not stop the "leaks" count. It's a passion project of mine, and even if I need to go underground with it I'll keep it going. I'd also like to say that yes, I will continue bringing "leaks" to the thread because as Zinith Zinith said, it breaks us from the cycle of repetitive arguments debates, even if it's only for a bit. So, that being said, how am I changing going forward?
  • To start, I've privated the original Smash "Leaks" Character Count and replaced it with a public version. The only difference between the two is that I've deleted the thread links sheet on the public version. This way, wannabe leakers will have no way of knowing whether or not their "leak" is included. Additionally, this removes a resource for wannabe "leakers" to see former, possibly credible "leaks."
  • When bringing "leaks" to the thread, I'm going to remove links. Links will only be provided if the "leak" either has valid credibility or is an image/video leak. If other users wish to provide links, they may do so, but I heavily discourage it. Let's not give them exactly what they want.
    • Links will also be provided for confirmed dead leaks, which I will bring up when they occur.
  • I'm going to be presenting leaks in sets of five instead of presenting them immediately when I find them. Sets will be self-contained posts containing just the set of "leaks". This not only cuts down on thread spam (something I've been worrying about for the past week or so), but it also allows me to actually participate in discussion without attaching leaks to them and cuts down slightly on leak publicity, as a leak in a given set can be anywhere from brand new to a day or two old based off of when a set is completed.
  • Finally, low effort ""leaks"" will not be covered. "Leaks" will be evaluated on a case by case basis, and if deemed low quality will be left on 4chan where they belong. Low quality puzzle ""leaks"" will be immediately discounted. If you can't even provide a character list or comprehensable puzzles you don't deserve publicity.
I hope that these changes will help cut down on low quality "leaks," so that we may see actual quality in our fake "leaks."

Also yes, they're still "leaks." The word "rumor" just feels wrong. I'm open to other word suggestions though.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Might be an old topic from this morning, but when it comes to Chrom as an Echo, I don’t support it because “CONFIRMED!” or “gimme Chrom Sakurai”, I support it because Chrom is already there.

He has an HD model, Sakurai already said that he’d be like Ike (definitely enough for an Echo), and he’s one of the only FE characters that make sense.

When it comes to ones not in Smash, Lyn is definetely the most popular but we already know the end of that story. Celica has been a popular pick but her timing screws her up and SOV’s sales don’t make up for it, even though they were pleasing to the big N. There are a few males that beat out Chrom’s popularity empirically but I think Sakurai’s and the general public’s love for Awakening would make up for it. At this point it would make a lot of sense to slap Chrom’s model onto an Ike skeleton and call it a day, it’d be a good compromise between many sides of fanbases.

Chrom has the prerequisites down to already having assets and a moveset ingame. It’s basically just an “ok” from Sakurai at this point and that’s why I think he’s likely.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i don't have the energy or local community to play or commit to melee. As long as it's better than smash 4 im happy, and honestly, i didn't find most of smash 4 fighting to be too unplayably offensive, compared to the godawful single player content that game had anyway. And Ultimate looks better than 4 even in the build anyway, so i don't care unless some neckbeard gets in my grill for playin the wrong game

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wish Wario Land wasn't basically dead so I wouldn't have to cry myself to sleep at night Captain Syrup was actually relevant.

Then we could have Captain Syrup, King K. Rool, Toon Link, and Ridley in a pirate-themed trailer.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
All ya'll talking about "leaks" we covered days ago again. Do I need to start breaking out the Slowpoke Song?

Anyways, some of you might have noticed that I privated the original Smash "Leaks" Character Count. That's because I've decided to change up the way that I present "leaks" going forward. After recent developments have brought to light that:
  • Yes, there is crossover between people viewing this thread and wannabe 4chan "leakers"
    From this, it's reasonable to assume that:
  • Wannabe leakers make low quality leaks to get a kick out of us critiquing and cataloguing them,
So, I've decided to try to curb any publicity that these leaks get, at least here on Smashboards. Before I elaborate I would like to say that no, I will not stop the "leaks" count. It's a passion project of mine, and even if I need to go underground with it I'll keep it going. I'd also like to say that yes, I will continue bringing "leaks" to the thread because as Zinith Zinith said, it breaks us from the cycle of repetitive arguments debates, even if it's only for a bit. So, that being said, how am I changing going forward?
  • To start, I've privated the original Smash "Leaks" Character Count and replaced it with a public version. The only difference between the two is that I've deleted the thread links sheet on the public version. This way, wannabe leakers will have no way of knowing whether or not their "leak" is included. Additionally, this removes a resource for wannabe "leakers" to see former, possibly credible "leaks."
  • When bringing "leaks" to the thread, I'm going to remove links. Links will only be provided if the "leak" either has valid credibility or is an image/video leak. If other users wish to provide links, they may do so, but I heavily discourage it. Let's not give them exactly what they want.
  • I'm going to be presenting leaks in sets of five instead of presenting them immediately when I find them. Sets will be self-contained posts containing just the set of "leaks". This not only cuts down on thread spam (something I've been worrying about for the past week or so), but it also allows me to actually participate in discussion without attaching leaks to them and cuts down slightly on leak publicity, as a leak in a given set can be anywhere from brand new to a day or two old based off of when a set is completed.
  • Finally, low effort ""leaks"" will not be covered. "Leaks" will be evaluated on a case by case basis, and if deemed low quality will be left on 4chan where they belong. Low quality puzzle ""leaks"" will be immediately discounted. If you can't even provide a character list or comprehensable puzzles you don't deserve publicity.
I hope that these changes will help cut down on low quality "leaks," so that we may see actual quality in our fake "leaks."

Also yes, they're still "leaks." The word rumor just feels wrong. I'm open to other word suggestions though.
Great changes. Can you provide public access to all of the expired/proven wrong leaks, though? I was looking forward to seeing all of the K. Rool on the 9th "leaks" that got deconfirmed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom