• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Has anyone found any leaks that say that Brinstar Depths is coming back? It's my favorite stage from Melee, and it would let Ridley and Kraid appear onscreen at once. Plus, the music's the most gleefully sinister in Smash history, and upsettingly, it's only played on regular Brinstar and/or Norfair so far, it deserves better than that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
>Echo differences
>Shadow has a different Up B and Side B, his other moves are the same. Also different animations for running
>Dixie has a unique double jump, different Up B, Different Final Smash w Rambi, and her popgun is different.
>Dark Samus has a different neutral B (more of a multi charge rather than one big one), different run, different final smash, and a slightly different side b.
By definition none of these would be Echo fighters then. Echo Fighters are pretty clear that generally alot stays the same, especially in terms of specials. Maybe Shadow teleports up instead of uses a Spring but it's got to effectively do the same thing the spring does for Sonic.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
ChasoZero Leak

"Lucario takes Mewtwo's place" (Mewtwo is not in the game)
NyaseNya Leak
1.) The final roster will have 35 characters on the select screen.
2.) Despite being shown in pre-release materials, Snake and Sonic must be unlocked.
3.) The claims that "no clones" will be included is false, as Falco and Ganondorf are part of the final roster.
4.) Other unlockable veterans are Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch.
5.) This of course means that Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, Pichu, and Dr. Mario have been cut.
6.) There are only four more hidden newcomers: Toon Link, Lucario, Wolf (from Star Fox 64) and R.O.B. (shockingly enough).
7.) Ridley and Mega Man will not be included and it's unlikely they'll be included in future installments (in my opinion).

More details from our leaker:
>Aether Paradise is the Pokemon stage, the Ultra Beasts are stage hazards.
>Lor Starcutter is the Kirby Stage
>Shadow's Up B is Mewtwo's Teleport, Shadow's Side B is Chaos Spear which works like Dark Pit's Neutral B
>Greninja's Final Smash is Ash Greninja Shuriken
>Lucario's Final Smash is Aura Storm but he is Mega Lucario Now
I'm not stating absolutes, there are of course always exceptions. Especially as release approaches and more information opens up to more people. But in my experience, most true leaks speak in positive terms of what is in as opposed to what isn't.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I feel like Flat Zone and Pictochat stages should become "ULTIMATE Flat Zone" and "ULTIMATE Pictochat."

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
So guys...I have a game for y'all:

*Unlockable Characters - How to Unlock*

Since it has been confirmed that the Original 12 will start off as Starting Characters and everyone from Melee onwards are unlockables, how would you guys see everyone being unlocked? Here's some ideas I have (not all will be having an idea right away)

Peach: Complete Classic mode or Adventure mode with Mario without using a continue
Daisy:
Bowser: Complete Classic mode with any character
Ice Climbers:
Sheik: Complete Break the Target with 10 characters
Zelda:
Dr. Mario: Play Vs Mode 5 times
Pichu:
Falco:
Marth:
Lucina: Complete Classic mode with Marth
Young Link:
Ganondorf:
Mewtwo: Complete Classic mode with all the Pokemon characters (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Greninja, Pichu)
Roy:
Mr. Game & Watch:
Meta Knight: Clear Adventure mode with Kirby in less than 20 minutes on Normal difficulty or higher
Pit: Complete Classic mode with all starting characters
Dark Pit:
Zero Suit Samus:
Wario: Complete event
Snake:
Ike:
Pokemon Trainer: Collect 100 different trophies
Diddy Kong:
Lucas: Complete 100-Man Melee
Sonic:
King Dedede: Complete event
Olimar:
Lucario: Earn 1 KO in Cruel Smash
ROB: Complete event
Toon Link:
Wolf:
Villager: Complete Classic mode with 10 characters
Megaman:
Wii Fit Trainer:
Rosalina:
Little Mac:
Greninja:
Mii Fighters: Complete event
Palutena:
Pac-Man:
Robin: Clear Classic mode on Normal or higher without continues
Shulk:
Bowser Jr:
Duck Hunt: Complete Break theTarget mode with 25 characters
Ryu:
Cloud: Complete event
Corrin:
Bayonetta:
Inklings:
Ridley:
I'll make one for Ryu, Corrin & The Inklings.

Ryu: Play 15 1v1 Matches
Corrin: Play Classic Mode as Marth, Ike, Robin, & Lucina
Inklings: Play 10 Matches with all players having Alternate Costumes

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Since the thread is moving a little slow, I thought I'd bring up an old topic - returning Assist Trophies.

As of right now, we have approximately 29 known ATs. The following 18 ATs that were present in Smash 4 haven't been seen in Ultimate yet:
  • Devil
  • Infantry and Tanks
  • Kat and Ana (Wario)
  • Lakitu and Spinies (Mario)
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic)
  • Tingle (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Ashley (Wario)
  • Chain Chomp (Mario)
  • Dark Samus (Metroid)
  • Dillon
  • Elec Man (Mega Man)
  • Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
  • Magnus (Kid Icarus)
  • Nightmare (Kirby)
  • Phosphora (Kid Icarus)
  • Sable Prince
  • Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda)
Assuming all of these ATs return, we'd currently have 47 unique ATs in Ultimate, which is extremely close to the number we're suggested to get. However, for the sake of conversation, let's assume five of these ATs get cut. Who would you choose?

For me, I'd say: Infantry and Tanks, Chain Chomp, Phosphora, Sable Prince, and (even though I really prefer him as an AT) Tingle.

(Edit: If possible, avoid cutting characters who you want to be upgraded to playable characters. Just try cutting the characters who you'd be fine with being gone altogether.)
Shadow, Isabelle, and Ashley all get playable character promotions (echo or not), and as for cutting 5 of them...
...Infantry and Tanks, Sable Prince, Devil, Saki, and Tingle
Am I the only one who would prefer the color minimum remain at 8?
Depends on the fighters
Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario I could live without. Lucas though...
Like Yoshi you are a heartless and tax fraud committing monster
People would be very hype about Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy.

Dr. Mario not so much
I would be more hyped for Dr.Mario than the other three, but Mewtwo was definitely needed for a comeback

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Has anyone found any leaks that say that Brinstar Depths is coming back? It's my favorite stage from Melee, and it would let Ridley and Kraid appear onscreen at once. Plus, the music's the most gleefully sinister in Smash history, and upsettingly, it's only played on regular Brinstar and/or Norfair so far, it deserves better than that.
Brinstar was in 3DS, it's probably coming back.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Seriously, I feel like with the introduction of echoes, everyone's looking for an excuse to shove characters they know nothing about into echo slots.
There's been a lot of bad examples such as making Dixie an Echo of Diddy, but I feel like the worst suggestion for an Echo fighter is without a doubt...
Banjo-Kazooie as an Echo of Duck Hunt.
AN ECHO OF DUCK HUNT.
Do people not realize that Banjo acts nothing like Duck Hunt? He doesn't go on all fours! :facepalm:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brinstar was in 3DS, it's probably coming back.
I think he’s talking about the actual Brinstar Depth stage with Kraid in the background (and Brinstar itself was confirmed to return already)
I don't really want some fighters to have more colors than others. I think 8 works perfectly for Bowser Jr and the Koopalings as well as 8 Player Smash.
For them maybe, but someone like Little Mac or Mario could use atleast 10 alts (Mario without a Fire Mario alt is wrong, while Little Mac losing 6 alts wouldn’t be bad)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So guys...I have a game for y'all:

*Unlockable Characters - How to Unlock*

Since it has been confirmed that the Original 12 will start off as Starting Characters and everyone from Melee onwards are unlockables, how would you guys see everyone being unlocked? Here's some ideas I have (not all will be having an idea right away)

Peach: Complete Classic mode or Adventure mode with Mario without using a continue
Daisy:
Bowser: Complete Classic mode with any character
Ice Climbers:
Sheik: Complete Break the Target with 10 characters
Zelda:
Dr. Mario: Play Vs Mode 5 times
Pichu:
Falco:
Marth:
Lucina: Complete Classic mode with Marth
Young Link:
Ganondorf:
Mewtwo: Complete Classic mode with all the Pokemon characters (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Greninja, Pichu)
Roy:
Mr. Game & Watch:
Meta Knight: Clear Adventure mode with Kirby in less than 20 minutes on Normal difficulty or higher
Pit: Complete Classic mode with all starting characters
Dark Pit:
Zero Suit Samus:
Wario: Complete event
Snake:
Ike:
Pokemon Trainer: Collect 100 different trophies
Diddy Kong:
Lucas: Complete 100-Man Melee
Sonic:
King Dedede: Complete event
Olimar:
Lucario: Earn 1 KO in Cruel Smash
ROB: Complete event
Toon Link:
Wolf:
Villager: Complete Classic mode with 10 characters
Megaman:
Wii Fit Trainer:
Rosalina:
Little Mac:
Greninja:
Mii Fighters: Complete event
Palutena:
Pac-Man:
Robin: Clear Classic mode on Normal or higher without continues
Shulk:
Bowser Jr:
Duck Hunt: Complete Break theTarget mode with 25 characters
Ryu:
Cloud: Complete event
Corrin:
Bayonetta:
Inklings:
Ridley:
I beat you to your own game.
Like, almost a month ago. Everyone has a listed unlock. Also:

Since it has been confirmed that the Original 12 will start off as Starting Characters

He only said it would be the roster from Smash 64. He never clarified if it was the 8 or 12, and the presentation only showed the 8 as the extra 4 slowly faded in.

D

Deleted member

Considering that a Snipperclips song got in, you think a Snipperclip stage is likely?

I wonder what it would be about. Maybe you are in a flat drawing background and colored shapes shift....

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
By definition none of these would be Echo fighters then. Echo Fighters are pretty clear that generally alot stays the same, especially in terms of specials. Maybe Shadow teleports up instead of uses a Spring but it's got to effectively do the same thing the spring does for Sonic.
HOT TAKE:
Honestly I'm doubtful of what Nate and Bill said. It's an interview right after the reveal and we know nothing besides what they said and what Sakurai says in the direct, and I'm more willing to trust the latter. All Sakurai says is that Echo Fighters are based off of other fighters.
Sakurai says about Daisy:
They look similar, but they're moves behave differently. "She fights in a similar manner as Peach, but they have different characteristics.
In the interview, all Nate and Bill said is that they share the same general characteristics, but not moves.

There's somewhat of a case.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We need Wrecking Ball as an Echo of Bowser Jr. It makes perfect sense!

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
For them maybe, but someone like Little Mac or Mario could use atleast 10 alts (Mario without a Fire Mario alt is wrong, while Little Mac losing 6 alts wouldn’t be bad)
I disagree. They should have removed Mario's Waluigi colors in the first place. They never should have been there.

Mario doesn't need 10 alts. He just needs his Fire and Wario colors back. What the **** were they thinking when they made the conscious decision to get rid of those colors, keep the Waluigi one, and make Luigi's Waluigi colors with a green L?!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I disagree. They should have removed Mario's Waluigi colors in the first place. They never should have been there.

Mario doesn't need 10 alts. He just needs his Fire and Wario colors back. What the **** were they thinking when they made the conscious decision to get rid of those colors, keep the Waluigi one, and make Luigi's Waluigi colors with a green L?!
I could do without the Wario alt (even though it’s actually good), but that Waluigi one should’ve never been made for him

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think he’s talking about the actual Brinstar Depth stage with Kraid in the background (and Brinstar itself was confirmed to return already))
You mean Planet Zebes?

All of the 64 stages are capable of holding 8 players, as most of their modern versions do not. It could be an excuse to bring all of them back,Big like Sector Z gets repurposed into a Big Corneria and Zebes is Big Brinstar as there is Battlefield and Big Battlefield. But let's not get hasty.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I could do without the Wario alt (even though it’s actually good), but that Waluigi one should’ve never been made for him
The fact that exists to begin with, and the fact that they decided to remove costumes, but not that one, and the fact that they kept it in place of Wario and Fire, and the fact that they made Luigi's version of it even less accurate than it already was,

BLOWS MY ****ING MIND! Whoever was in charge of this is deliberately ****ing with us.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So this is old news at this point, but with the rumor people were talking about before, did anyone consider that Goemon may have been the character referred to by the word folklore?

SonicMario

Smash Master
HOT TAKE:
Honestly I'm doubtful of what Nate and Bill said. It's an interview right after the reveal and we know nothing besides what they said and what Sakurai says in the direct, and I'm more willing to trust the latter. All Sakurai says is that Echo Fighters are based off of other fighters.
Sakurai says about Daisy:

In the interview, all Nate and Bill said is that they share the same general characteristics, but not moves.

There's somewhat of a case.
We do have two examples of Lucina and Dark Pit so far though. And they generally keep the same type of moves. Dark Pit's Side-B is named and somewhat a different item but otherwise acts the same way Pit's Side-B did. Lucina's main difference is she doesn't have a tipper and her moves do the same damage no matter where you hit. But otherwise differences are minuscule other then animations to reflect a character's different personality. I'm not going by just what Nate and Bill said. While it's subject to change, we do have examples in Lucina and Dark Pit in SSB4 and they're not exactly promising when it comes to differences between their counterparts.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You mean Planet Zebes?

All of the 64 stages are capable of holding 8 players, as most of their modern versions do not. It could be an excuse to bring all of them back,Big like Sector Z gets repurposed into a Big Corneria and Zebes is Big Brinstar as there is Battlefield and Big Battlefield. But let's not get hasty.
Yes (since they’re both called Planet Zebes on the wiki, but treated like a movie title) and No (since Melee also calls the stage Brinstar Depths, so Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths)

Need is a strong word, almost as strong as your bias.

I guess it's compensation. The Green L is pretty dumb though
It really is
The fact that exists to begin with, and the fact that they decided to remove costumes, but not that one, and the fact that they kept it in place of Wario and Fire, and the fact that they made Luigi's version of it even less accurate than it already was,

BLOWS MY ****ING MIND! Whoever was in charge of this is deliberately ****ing with us.
Since it’s a demo, I really hope they only left out those Mario alts in the demo and not have truly taken them away (like how Ridley still has his Meta alt overall, but not in the demo)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Imagine if they made Fire Mario into Mario's echo?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If they were never made: Still the same. There would still be veterans cut that people would demand come back.
If they weren't in Smash 4: Maximum hype.

View attachment 152002

Also, two more "leaks":
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423393324
>Lycanroc Dusk is the pokemon newcomer, its final smash has it use it's z move with the other two. Mimikyu and Decidueye are not playable, there is no other pokemon newcomer
>Banjo Kazooie is a newcomer, they shoot eggs, have a wonder wing move, and their final smash is jjinjonator, Minecraft gets a stage
>Ashley is a newcomer, spell moveset, final smash is a big spell.
>K Rool is a newcomer, uses gadgets and tricks, final smash is the blast o matic
>9 Unique newcomers, 5 echos
>Dixie Kong Isabelle and Shadow are echos
>Remaining newcomers are Simon, Marshall/Chrous Kids, Elma, and Dark Samus.
>Bandana Dee is not playable
>Shovel Knight is not playable
>Shantae is not playable
>Chrom is still Robin's final smash
>Captain Toad is not playable
>There is no fire emblem newcomer
>Dephino, Jungle Hijinx, Yoshi's Island Melee, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Dream Land 3ds, Pirate Ship, Peach's 64, Kongo 64, Pictochat, Mute City 3ds, and Orbital Gate return
>Miiverse, Sector Z, Planet Zebes, Poke Floats, Pictochat 2, and Golden Plains do not return
>SR388, Fortuna, Neo Los Angeles, and Frosty Fruits are new stages
>Qbby from Boxboy is an assist trophy
>Chibi Robo is an assist trophy
>Ravio is an assist trophy
>Chun Li is an assist trophy
>Sephiroth is an assist trophy
>Salazzle is a new pokeball
>Alolan Exeggutor is a new pokeball
>Popplio is a new pokeball pokemon
>Smash Tour does not return
>Classic mode is different now, it is completely randomized with certain set things like 2v2, 1v3, 8 player, metal, giant, etc. Also new is there are essentially three "bonus" sections: Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, and board the platforms. Fighting Mii Team and Master Core return though.
>Event mode returns, one has Shulk and Snake take down robots, another has a 8 player match of all inklings, another has Shadow challenge Sonic to a fight
>Master Orders and Crazy Orders return
>Marshal, Ms Ribbon, and Cam are one set of Skins, Chorus Kids are the other, gimmick is timed hits, press button as soon as attack would hit for extra damage. Love Lab Special, final smash is wrestler interview
>Simon only has one smash with his whip, but it can go in 7 directions. Has a Holy Water special
>Elma's Final Smash is her mech
>Rayman, Rabbids, and Rabbid Peach are trophies
>There is no ARMS character or stage
>Electroplankton returns as a stage
>Castlevania, Rhythm Heaven, and Banjo all get stages
>Banjo's stage is Gruntilda's Lair
>Castlevania is Dracula's Castle
>RH is a RH tour, similar to WarioWare but more about helping keep a rhythm than just objectives.
>Mario Bros does not return
>Brimstar Depths does not return
>Echo differences
>Shadow has a different Up B and Side B, his other moves are the same. Also different animations for running
>Dixie has a unique double jump, different Up B, Different Final Smash w Rambi, and her popgun is different.
>Isabelle has a different final smash, she commissions a new fountain
>Dark Samus has a different neutral B (more of a multi charge rather than one big one), different run, different final smash, and a slightly different side b.

OP is a playtester, says "I wish I had a good reason (for you to believe me), [but] I really don't. I'd like you to believe me but you don't have to. You could just wait it out.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423397485
Leaving as shift supervisor at SGS Hong Kong Ltd. Working conditions poor, long hours bad management, bad feelings

Production begins now for:

Rayman
Black Shadow
Chrom
King Rool
Dark Samus
Ridley
Inkling Girl
Inkling Boy
Funky Kong

These will be new in "Smash Ultimate" with data link
Even though it's likely fake

I would love the first one to happen easily especially since it has banjo and king k rool playable

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'll take that to my grave. Mewtwo is one of my least favorite characters...
Time to get the grave ready before the “Yoshi Commits Tax Fraud” game comes out

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I mean all of these leaks are just the really obvious or popular characters, so even if they were real, it's just as informative as pure speculation.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't understand the appeal of Roy so much back then. I mean, I played his game.
Certainly isn't the best Lord.
Certainly isn't the worst, either.
In many ways Roy is associated with Smash Bros as much as Captain Falcon for some since he debuted in Melee.
Due to that it felt kinda off for some when he was removed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Saying a color choice should get thrown out for the sake of another is a bias by definition, yes.
Okay. What's your point? Like who cares? I mean, I obviously care about the absurdity of what colors were removed and which ones were kept, but it sounds like you're taking this personally. Like you have a serious attachment to Mario with Waluigi colors.

I mean granted, they are good colors because Waluigi has taste, but can't they at least still have Wario colors and can't Luigi have the Waluigi colors? And why did they keep it over Fire Mario?!

What is your issue with my issue?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know the perfect Mario echo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes (since they’re both called Planet Zebes on the wiki, but treated like a movie title) and No (since Melee also calls the stage Brinstar Depths, so Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths)
So you mean big lava rotating stage?
I mean sure but it won't be a fun ride for any who dare play on it.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon any new leaks?

it's not the craziest thing i've heard
Might as well go nuts and add these Echoes as well:

Zero Suit Samus as Tracer
King Dedede as Reinhardt
Palutena as Mercy
Zelda as Symmentra
Link as Hanzo
Ganondorf as Reaper
DK as Winston
Ice Climbers as Mei
Bowser as D. Ava
Snake as Soldier: 76