• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If this publicized a couple years ago or even just last year, I think there would be significant outrage. However I think people here are really overestimating how much outrage there would be now, when Smash Ultimate is on the way in full hype swing and most people already think its newcomers will be fan favorites decided by the Ballot, while this provides more evidence towards that being the case.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Nintendo had a vested interest in the success of the Bayonetta franchise. This is obvious. We know Corrin was the result of the suits telling Sakurai to add somebody as marketing. It's really not hard to make the jump here.

But whatever, people, it's not that big a deal. I don't even like Bayonetta, but it's not like she received no votes. Every character is somebody's choice.

Save the complaining for when the final Ultimate roster is revealed, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is the biggest hurdle for me to get over, because given how Pokemon Company works as well as the anime.

Where is the justification for him? Pokken is all there is.
And even then, Pokken is completely irrelevant at the time the decision to add Decidueye would be made.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Naw, Youtubers LITERALLY make money off of drama like this, even if we somehow stop one, another's going to crop up, then another. You underestimate how desperate people are for views and subscribers my man. There's nothing we can really do until the next character reveal blows this whole thing over.
You say that, but I feel like Etika is one of those people who really doesn't need to create drama over it to make money. He already makes a killing during his streams, and he's already said that most the Youtube revenue has dried up anyway.

Not to say that he won't but I don't think he, specifically, will need to make a video about it any time soon if he wants to make money.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I was thinking something simialr, this seems more like an executive decision done by Nintendo and Sakurai is going to take the blame for it. Sakurai's only sin is being the figurehead for all this.

I don't think there's anything we can do. Once obnoxious Youtubers like Etika or whatever get ahold of this, people are going to flock to twitter en masse to bomb Sakurai all day. Unless we can somehow delete all evidence of this there's a storm a brewin'.

alternately people could just not care but like we've had what? 9 pages of discussion on this in like 2 hours so RIP the internet when the general audience catches wind.

EDIT: Here, as long as no one on /v/ talks about it this conversation will never leave sma---

Welp, GG.
sakurai likley had ultimate planned in his head and decided "why waste all this fan-service data on dlc for a dead console when we can use it for the next one"

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nintendo had a vested interest in the success of the Bayonetta franchise. This is obvious. We know Corrin was the result of the suits telling Nintendo to add somebody as marketing. It's really not hard to make the jump here.

But whatever, people, it's not that big a deal. I don't even like Bayonetta, but it's not like she received no votes. Every character is somebody's choice.

Save the complaining for when the final Ultimate roster is revealed, lol.
Yeah, I really, really want this to blow over before it even begins; with all the inflammatory headlines and clickbaity youtube videos... Let's just... hope it doesn't come to that.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
sakurai likley had ultimate planned in his head and decided "why waste all this fan-service data on dlc for a dead console when we can use it for the next one"
I'm pretty sure developing 2 Smash games at once made him realize glaring design flaws.

StormC

Smash Hero
This was already being discussed in depth on Twitter and other sites. It's going to spread no matter what.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
If this publicized a couple years ago or even just last year, I think there would be significant outrage. However I think people here are really overestimating how much outrage there would be now, when Smash Ultimate is on the way in full hype swing and most people already think its newcomers will be fan favorites decided by the Ballot, while this provides more evidence towards that being the case.
Oh yeah, absolutely, when you think about it, this was the BEST possible time for this news to come to light.
I wonder if it's a conspiracy by Nintendo....:bigthink:
You say that, but I feel like Etika is one of those people who really doesn't need to create drama over it to make money. He already makes a killing during his streams, and he's already said that most the Youtube revenue has dried up anyway.

Not to say that he won't but I don't think he, specifically, will need to make a video about it any time soon if he wants to make money.
I was just using Etika as an example since that's the only name I actually know, I don't actually keep up with him or any other Youtubers.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My only worry is that it doesn't dent any sales of Bayonetta 3 that might have increased from marketing her in Smash.

People can be childish.

''Wait. I liked this character when I thought she won and was cool, but you lied to me? Well, I'm not buying THIS anymore."

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I'm getting even more worried, what if Sakurai cancels Ultimate due to the harassment he's gonna get?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
This was already being discussed in depth on Twitter and other sites. It's going to spread no matter what.
Besides here, Twitter, ResetERA, Reddit, 4Chan, FB are some of the places that this topic is probably being discussed off the top of my head. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this blows up soon.

I'm getting even more worried, what if Sakurai cancels Ultimate due to the harassment he's gonna get?
Not happening. Sakurai might step down, but someone else will inevitably take over. Nintendo can't afford to have Ultimate canceled, since Smash is a system seller.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So then here is a new question. How much weight do people think fan polls have now that we know what we know about Bayonetta? Because that was always the main argument against them was because of the fact they didn't have bayonetta.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It’s not going anywhere on Reddit, the post about is getting downvoted.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh, the Ballot stuff reached GameFaqs. Oh boy.

Dare I touch those topics at the risk of losing my good mood?

D

Deleted member

No way is that happening.
Sakurai already worked really hard, there is no way he would give up his game just because of fans.
Plus, both him and Nintendo will get a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
All it takes is for one big internet personality who doesn't actually understand what they're talking about to spin it in the worst way possible and the topic will explode.

And we thought one or two guys harassing Sakurai over Waluigi was bad.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There is literally no way in hell that's going to happen.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is it bad that if this gets a bunch of negative outlash and blows up, I'm going to view it as a good thing overall? Wouldn't it be worse if there was cheating and literally nothing negative came out of this? I don't want Sakurai to be harassed or anything but that doesn't have to happen, and cheating of any variety shouldn't be ignored, I don't care what the reasoning behind it is/was, it's cheating, cheating is bad, there should be outcry and criticism coming out of this so whoever's actually responsible (it might not be Sakurai, we should all keep that in mind) for this can see what they did wrong and hopefully feel some remorse for it. The idea of cheating meaning nothing and having zero negative consequences just feels wrong.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
That's enough to tell who's on top, results wise though.

I doubt things changed much after the first month.
That's a crazy short turn-around time to observe the ballot results for some time, decide to make Bayo the "ballot winner", decide to turn the actual ballot winner slot into a promotional slot, do all the deliberation that goes into picking a character, choose and finalize Corrin, form their character design/moveset, and start development on them soon enough for Corrin's data to be on 1.0.8. It's just much simpler for Bayo and a promotional slot to have always been planned.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I can honestly see loads of angry Smash fanboys wanting to boycott this game after this, They're gonna start a hashtag to spread the word, It's gonna be something like #BoycottSmash.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Perhaps...what if they chose Bayonetta based on only the first month or so of results? What if they'd already had plans to use data from later Ballot entries for future projects (what would eventually become Ultimate), knowing they'd need to pull from earlier on just to ensure they had enough time to develop a character?

Would also explain why Bayo caught so many people off guard. She had really strong support in the beginning that fell off after a couple months, but if those couple months were what was looked at for Smash 4 DLC...

Keep in mind, I don't think think we should go full on "Ultimate's newcomers will all be from the Ballot". Especially since Bomberman and Krystal, two characters who had significant support, are ATs. My running theory on those two is that the roster was ironed out and they weren't on it, and so it was decided to make them summons to get them in the game somehow and at least throw a bone to their fans. Something tells me we'll be seeing similar fates for quite a few Ballot hopefuls who weren't already eligible.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I can honestly see loads of angry Smash fanboys wanting to boycott this game after this, They're gonna start a hashtag to spread the word, It's gonna be something like #BoycottSmash.
What kind of fanboy boycotts the thing they fanboy for?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Then they can boycott to their heart's content. The rest of us will enjoy the game without them.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So then here is a new question. How much weight do people think fan polls have now that we know what we know about Bayonetta? Because that was always the main argument against them was because of the fact they didn't have bayonetta.
They're still flawed for all the same reasons people suggested at the time, imo. The turnout for the fan polls is a drop in the bucket for the turnout of the real ballot. They just don't have the same reach, and are representations only of the small subset of people who found them.

I must've voted in the real ballot like 87 times and I never once voted in a fan exit poll.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Well if the ballot was actually used for Ultimate, how many potential new characters didn't get votes from participants that were under the assumption that characters already in Smash 4 as Assist Trophies or as part of someone's Final Smash were ineligible?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This will do nothing in the long run.

We all know that it's going to be wiped from people's memories the next "Sakurai Appreciation thread!! <3" and any and all criticism would be hand-waved with "but he works so haaaaard" and "you should be graaaaateful for what you got", etc etc.

Plus the criticism won't mean anything if you're still slamming down $60+ on it. Seriously, Smash is unsinkable at this point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean it almost makes too much sense that none of the actual DLC for Smash 4 was ballot based. Knowing the timing and planning it takes to do a character. We'd have been waiting for the real winner for quite some time. The turn around would've been pretty substantial I'd imagine.

I just wish they'd have said from the get go for everyone ''This ballot is for the next Smash game."

But I imagine Sakurai didn't want people to automatically assume he was working another Smash Brothers already at that point.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
No, the vast majority of people aren't going to care at this point. Like I said if this happened two years ago or just last year, where we just had Smash 4 with no more updates and no news of any upcoming Smash game, maybe a lot of people would be angry, but now with Smash Ultimate and the allure of the fanservice characters chosen by the Ballot making it into it, people are over Smash 4 and salivating over Ultimate. While some may be disappointed about being misled about the Ballot's intention, very few if any are going to be actually angry when Ultimate is on the horizon.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, for Sakurai, I feel bad for him now that this news is out, and he is probably going to get harassed for this whole thing. I wish there were something we could do to prevent that. I can see a lot of death threats directed at him now.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well if the ballot was actually used for Ultimate, how many potential new characters didn't get votes from participants that were under the assumption that characters already in Smash 4 as Assist Trophies or as part of someone's Final Smash were ineligible?
Given how they've been angling Ultimate, it's likely that a lot of the higher placing characters were simply Veterans like Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Don't even suggest that. If people were to find out that their character of choice might have been kicked out of the roster for Corrin?

Now that'd be a ****storm.
Jokes on them I voted Azura and got the closest possible thing

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Honestly I doesn't matter too much about how far this spreads, all it takes is ONE bad egg to go off @'ing Sakurai and making everyone look bad. You think the Waluigi "fans" harassing Sakurai on twitter were the majority? This fanbase is huge and full of a lot of teenagers who have kneejerk reactions so it's just a matter of time lol

Aw shoot, that's a really good question.
I mean, I knew ICs were deconfirmed and I still voted for them, so you definitely have the super dedicated fanbase still submitting votes, but you really DO have to wonder how many people saw their character deconfirmed and then chose to cast their vote for their second or even third pick under the impression their 1st choice was already out of the running.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not worried about boycots, what we should be worried about is people using this as "the last straw" to ban Bayonetta in Smash 4, the sentiment that she is this foreign invader that doesn't belong in the game is only going to get more intense from here on out.
Then Nintendo gets a new director for the game and continues without him, there is too much money to be made.
It’s not going anywhere on Reddit, the post about is getting downvoted.
Kind of strange considering the near irrational hatred redditors seem to have for Bayonetta, you'd think it'd be exploding there.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
So, placeholders for Cloud and Bayonetta were made before Corrin's placeholder, right? Huh. That might be why Corrin's Classic/All-Star ending movie in Smash Wii U is listed after Cloud's and Bayo's as the very last in the Vault. I always wondered why.

Unless that's just some weird coincidence.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422214515/is-it-true-is-it-true-smash-smash-leak-leak
Newcomer Hints: Whip, Pic Related, Witch, Sliced Apple, Anime, Archer, House, Science, Cards.

Echo Hints: Prime, Edgy, Dog, Asthma, Blue Hair.

Assist Hints: Lego, Merchant Egg, Octopus, Divine, Dad, Pig.

Bayonetta Hint: Something was on purpose and rigged for victory. The ballot, the viability, one of those is correct, one of those is false.

Source: Someone you're all well aware of.
Just curious about this, even though its most likely fake, does anyone have any clue for what the "House" and "Science" characters might be? I thought maybe K. Rool for Science, considering his Baron K. Roolenstein form in Donkey Kong Country 3, but that seems like kind of a stretch, especially considering all of the other characters seem pretty obvious, aside from how vague "Anime" is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom