• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If Nintendo said that the Smash Ballot would factor into DLC for Smash 4, they may not have been lying. Besides characters, they also made Mii costumes as DLC. It wouldn't be lying if that were the case, but it would be an incomplete truth.

One more point to the "Mii Costumes were concession prizes" theory.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Dataminers found out that ZSS data that would eventually become bayonetta was added before the ballot even finished, suggesting that bayonetta was being added before the ballot even ended.
It wasn't just before it finished, it was added in a patch (version 1.0.6) that launched just two weeks after the Ballot started, meaning Bayo was planned and active development on her started before the Ballot even launched.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Broke: "The Ballot was totally rigged. Bayonetta shouldn't have been in Smash because X character actually won."

Woke: "Bayonetta was already going to be included, but there likely wasn't any lie in what was said about her placements."

Transcended: :ultzss: is a watered down version of :ultbayonetta: in terms of move set and they just said she won.

Lying is on the table, no one is being held up for honesty here.

Oh and somehow judging from the tweet, Kamiya didn't know... right. Okay.

Its all fine but whew did they work hard to play it up.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wait, what are you talking about?
Brawl and Smash 4 had my boy:ultpit:flexing on everyone on the css by pimping with both:ultzss:and:ultpalutena:...but most likely:ultdarkpit:will keep him away from Samus while Palutena will probably be super far away from those three (best Pit can get is:ultzelda:)
The list won't end! At least, depending on who else makes it in.
The world will not be ready

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Yeah I don't think you guys need to fret about the ballot being "pointless". I'm sure the results were taken into account when developing Ultimate. Regardless, the Bayo stuff is in the past. That's done. We know that by the time this game was pitched, they at least had a good idea on what the top most-wanted fighters were from the ballot. I'm sure we're gonna see some fan service-y stuff this time around outside of what we've seen already.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Post it again in like half a day, I'm pretty curious at what other people envision their characters are like.
I could just post a link to it, like so. I'm on a Wii U gamepad, which has a maximum character limit for copy-pastes, so no way in hell am I going to transcribe that behemoth... again... (I copied my original part of it into a text document on my Blackberry to keep it, since I was proud of my work).

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
"Never any promise to begin with"

"OH MAH GOD WE GOT LIED TO"
....no.

How CAN there be a ****ing lie? Literally everything that is being claimed that we were "lied" to about was OUR OWN INTERPRETATION OF WHAT WAS SAID.
So we agree that, during it's runtime, the ballot didn't matter at all then?
Seems like just saying "We're having a ballot for the next Smash Bros. game, please vote on your favorite characters!" then just throwing out the DLC characters for whatever reason would've at least not caused a ruckus.
This right here, I think if Nintendo were just up front about it then there wouldn't be any controversy.

I think we should refer to one of my my favorite songs about all of this

If Nintendo stated their intent from the get go there would be no issue, they purposely used vague language and minuscule terms and conditions on the JP website and duped us for like 8 months. If you're okay with that, that's fine! I'm not even that burned about it but I don't see how we can look at all the evidence before us and say "Yeah, Nintendo was in the right to lie about the ballot."

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Can someone explain to me how this was just now found out? Haven't data miners found Ryu and Roy before Bayo was put in? Why did they not catch that back then? I'm having a hard time believing this whole thing, not that I give a **** if its true, but I would like there to be a legitimate reason why this was just now revealed when we had access to this information for a very long time.

Yes we can, assuming someone has a reason why this is only now discovered when we datamined Ryu and Roy. Seriously, this is kind fa plothole unless I'm missing something.

But once again, it doesn't matter. Unless you are skipping out on Ultimate, we are still getting Ballot characters. We are actually getting multiple as opposed to the one we would have gotten had they done what they said they were doing. I'm actually glad what they said was a lie, because we get more out of it anyway.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
To be used in Smash Ultimate.
Even if Bayonetta had nothing to do with the ballot, the idea that all the votes were thrown away is a bit silly. It just turns out that we may be getting those ballot characters a bit later than Smash 4 DLC.
That part isn't why I'm upset though, I'm sad that they cheated/lied/misdirected everyone intentionally and even more upset that when everyone else was voting multiple times, I didn't out of respect, only to be greeted with the knowledge that host of the ballot themselves was also cheating.
Not at all.

Real talk though, why do people care about the results of a ballot that happened 2 years ago?
Because cheating is bad, I assume a lot of us don't care if it's years ago, I know I don't.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So I was on vacation the last 5 days with terrible internet.

What did I miss the past 100 pages?
Talking about who you're gonna main stuff, some "potential new Subspace/story mode" discussion stuff, some "potential episodic story mode" stuff, some old Subspace discussion stuff, some Brawl related discussion stuff, some potential boxing ring titles stuff, some "choose seven newcomers game" stuff, some team naming stuff, some stuff about the website design, some stuff about the CSS design, some stuff about character changes and datamining the website to find out if there's anything there, some stuff about Gengar's potential inclusion, some stuff about Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Incineroar, some stuff about what reactions people would have to potential characters if they got in, some stuff about complaining about and speculating for Echo Fighters, some stuff about what a potential Smash reboot might look like, some stuff about the legitimacy of the ballot, and some stuff about other stuff.

TL;DR: "Things"

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Imagine if all this was revealed when Bayonetta was just announced, can you all imagine the outcry? It'd make the Waluigi stuff look tame and insignificant.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So folks...

Here's a question.

Does this question change how you feel about Bayonetta in Smash? :ultbayonetta:
Meh, Nintendo just did with :ultbayonetta: and :ultcorrin: what most people here expect Sakurai to do with Rex and Springman in Ultimate. Its hard to care since she would have otherwise just debuted in Ultimate instead.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Brawl and Smash 4 had my boy:ultpit:flexing on everyone on the css by pimping with both:ultzss:and:ultpalutena:...but most likely:ultdarkpit:will keep him away from Samus while Palutena will probably be super far away from those three (best Pit can get is:ultzelda:)

The world will not be ready
What about the Ridley and Miis part of your post though?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Not sire I can buy the whole rigged ballot thing, I can beleive that they tossed characters that they they couldn't do like Goku or something of the sort. Bayonetta I can believe being popular enough to warrent attention and enough to suggest of the "realizable characters" which is vague enough to give wiggle room on how to use her results.
But the thing is she appears to have been planned and started development before the Ballot even launched, thus her stated results in the Ballot and it influencing her being chosen was a cover story for the actual context of her inclusion while the real intention of the Ballot (being used to decide characters for the next Smash game) was hidden.

Can someone explain to me how this was just now found out? Haven't data miners found Ryu and Roy before Bayo was put in? Why did they not catch that back then? I'm having a hard time believing this whole thing, not that I give a **** if its true, but I would like there to be a legitimate reason why this was just now revealed when we had access to this information for a very long time.
I will copy paste this again:

The Mario slots having stats wasn't known at the time and was discovered after the fact, a lot of the datamine stuff was a process to figure out (like stats weren't known how to find for a long time, for example Dedede's air speed nerf was discovered after the fact, and landing lag wasn't known how to be found in the data for nearly the entirety of Smash 4's active patching period, meaning landing lag changes had to be found by manually recording everyone and counting the frames of their landing lag)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
"Never any promise to begin with"

"OH MAH GOD WE GOT LIED TO"
....no.

How CAN there be a ****ing lie? Literally everything that is being claimed that we were "lied" to about was OUR OWN INTERPRETATION OF WHAT WAS SAID.
I don't know why people aren't
getting this but Nintendo said they would consider the suggestions for Smash Wii U/3DS. If they already started working on the character that would "win" then they never actually planned to consider anything. That's the lie.
Characters don't get in based on when their games started development, they never have. XB2's starting development is completely irrelevant to Smash. It's release date and even reveal date on the other hand are away after development started.
If you want to go by release date, each game has added characters, stages and music from games released the year before.

The reason everyone brings up development time is that in order for these things to be added, they'd have to be based on pre-release stuff.

D

Deleted member

I really, really, really hope this stuff about the ballot doesn't blow up at all.
Sakurai's had too much with people harassing him on twitter. I mean, the guy has put himself in the hospital making the games. Last thing he deserves is being called a liar/etc.
I know, right? Like we all should stop harassing and yelling and thank Sakurai for dedicating a lot of himself for this game.
I love Sakurai. He is a really good man. I am happy he made Ultimate for all of us to enjoy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh and the damage control I mean, whew.
They may have to play damage control now because this is going to be a ****storm.

Like when the ESRB leak was going around and we saw it here first, and then everyone else saw it and freaked out.

But worse because people have evidence to point to when they say "muh character wasn't included!" even though they'll likely be included in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But the thing is she appears to have been planned and started development before the Ballot even launched, thus her stated results in the Ballot and it influencing her being chosen was a cover story for the actual context of her inclusion while the real intention of the Ballot (being used to decide characters for the next Smash game) was hidden.

I will copy paste this again:
This still isn't anything especially convincing. How did they find this data? Was it a whole new slot? Why did this not light up at the time? Even if other patch notes had to be discovered several weeks after it happened that doesn't correlate to years later when it isn't even the final patch.

Who discovered this? How did they find it? I have a thousand questions, some of which I wouldn't understand probably, which is why I'm sticking to the easy peasy "How? Why? When?" ones.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't know why people aren't
getting this but Nintendo said they would consider the suggestions for Smash Wii U/3DS. If they already started working on the character that would "win" then they never actually planned to consider anything. That's the lie.
Maybe they did consider it. Then decide it was too much work. They could consider it for like, half a second and there's no lie.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

This right here, I think if Nintendo were just up front about it then there wouldn't be any controversy.

I think we should refer to one of my my favorite songs about all of this

If Nintendo stated their intent from the get go there would be no issue, they purposely used vague language and minuscule terms and conditions on the JP website and duped us for like 8 months. If you're okay with that, that's fine! I'm not even that burned about it but I don't see how we can look at all the evidence before us and say "Yeah, Nintendo was in the right to lie about the ballot."
I think what might be the case is that the Ballot originally was intended for Smash 4 DLC. However some time into it, with the Switch really needing to be a hit while saving the Wii U was hopeless, Sakurai and Nintendo decided that it would be wasteful to continue DLC on Smash 4 when those resources could be used for an immediate new Smash game instead on the Switch (as otherwise the Switch would be without a new Smash game for a very long time). However they couldn't really come out and say it, as not only would have they have to reveal the plans for a new Smash game before it even began development, but it would completely kill enthusiasm for Smash 4 and its DLC. So thus the cover story of Bayo being the "ballot winner" to close out Smash 4 DLC was made while they secretly moved on to using the Ballot for Smash Ultimate.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I'm actually glad what they said was a lie, because we get more out of it anyway.
I mean, cool, that's fine, you do you, just don't be surprised or upset when other people who are just now finding out that the time and effort they put into being honest voters didn't matter in the first place are speaking out against what happened.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
They may have to play damage control now because this is going to be a s***storm.

Like when the ESRB leak was going around and we saw it here first, and then everyone else saw it and freaked out.

But worse because people have evidence to point to when they say "muh character wasn't included!" even though they'll likely be included in this game.
If all the big ballot picks get in to this one, I'd say most people will be happier at the end of the day that they were newcomers in a new game rather than DLC for an older one.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I don't know why anyone would be mad about this. If the ballot was actually used for Smash Ultimate, me and K.Rool fans have jack to worry about.

Untouch

Smash Master
along with what I said, bayonetta's reveal trailer never actually states she was picked because she was "#1 worldwide", just that she was

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I mean, cool, that's fine, you do you, just don't be surprised or upset when other people who are just now finding out that the time and effort they put into being honest voters didn't matter in the first place are speaking out against what happened.
It does matter because they are going towards Ultimate. The value of your vote has not changed in the slightest. You are choosing to be upset literally over nothing but having to wait a couple years for your new toy.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
This still isn't anything especially convincing. How did they find this data? Was it a whole new slot? Why did this not light up at the time? Even if other patch notes had to be discovered several weeks after it happened that doesn't correlate to years later when it isn't even the final patch.

Who discovered this? How did they find it? I have a thousand questions, some of which I wouldn't understand probably, which is why I'm sticking to the easy peasy "How? Why? When?" ones.
I don't know all the details yet but I remember hearing something very similar about this a very long time ago (like, not even a year after Bayo's release), so I feel very certain that it's real and only now is getting verified by multiple dataminers for whatever reason. Still, it's good to ask these questions, proof that all this is actually in the code would be great.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
My personal take on the Ballot and Bayonetta being possibly rigged.

I don't care. Really. I suspected it, but it is what it is.

"But they lied to us!"

Technically they didn't, they said they would consider any character on the ballot for DLC.

Previous (Japan only) ballots polled for newcomers in the next game, it's only logical that the last one would do the same.

If you're mad that Bayonetta got in and your personal pick didn't, grow up, it's a Video Game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Here's a tinfoil/woke theory:

I would wager that all Mii costumes are just striped assets that exist in Ultimate already.

I mean characters that were turned into full body suits like K Rool and.. Flying man (yes I'm pushing him super hard)

Or like Geno who has never had a 3D model period.

I mean its all really simple take the model, delete some ploys, resize the limbs and then UV map the model again.

Look at Knuckles...

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

You weren't there back when Ryu and Roy were datamined? Alongside their character slots were two character slots named "Mario" (which would later turn out to be Bayo and Cloud). And as I told you, datamining is a process and it takes time to figure out what stuff in the data means; how to determine a character's movement/physics specs wasn't capable at the time and thus people didn't notice these Mario slots had the stats of Zamus and Ike, and once they were capable of doing so they had to go back and look at the now outdated data. Various dataminers discovered it by looking at the data of the game, here's a Twitter thread of Ruben (one of the premier dataminers) explaining it.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Guys.

Who's the last character alphabetically in the SSB4 roster?

:4zss:

It's very possible that ZSS was added as a placeholder because she was the last character alphabetically. Not because ZSS was used to make Bayonetta.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I think what might be the case is that the Ballot originally was intended for Smash 4 DLC. However some time into it, with the Switch really needing to be a hit while saving the Wii U was hopeless, Sakurai and Nintendo decided that it would be wasteful to continue DLC on Smash 4 when those resources could be used for an immediate new Smash game instead on the Switch (as otherwise the Switch would be without a new Smash game for a very long time). However they couldn't really come out and say it, as not only would have they have to reveal the plans for a new Smash game before it even began development, but it would completely kill enthusiasm for Smash 4 and its DLC. So thus the cover story of Bayo being the "ballot winner" to close out Smash 4 DLC was made while they secretly moved on to using the Ballot for Smash Ultimate.
This is true, the Wii U really was a sinking ship, and Nintendo really wants the Switch to be a success so I can understand allocating their efforts to Smash5 immediately. However, we don't have all the facts, and the facts that we do have point to us being mislead. We can speculate all day on why Nintendo did what they did but that doesn't change what's actually happened.

Personally I'm not really too upset, well...? I am and I'm not. I was so sure that the ballot was the way to get the ICs back in early and I put so much effort into making art, getting on twitter, talking to everyone I could to #VoteIC, so I guess finding out none of that really mattered at the time feels like a slap to the face to my younger, more excitable self. Yes, the ICs are back now, so it's fine, but if this story broke as soon as Bayo dropped I could see myself being crushed. So, I guess I'm upset for my younger self, as well as the TWO MILLION other people who voted, but at this point in time I just find it a very interesting topic to discuss. Kind of really glad we got the EVERYONE IS HERE thing before this story dropped lol.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Taken directly from the ballot site:

View attachment 151191

The problem isn't that Bayonetta didn't 'win'.

The problem is that the community decided that the ballot was something that could be won.
It doesn't matter if the ballot was presented as a suggestion box and not a competition with a winner.

When Bayonetta was announced, she was marketed as the winner. That's literally what "1st Worldwide" means, there's no other way to interpret it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't know all the details yet but I remember hearing something very similar about this a very long time ago (like, not even a year after Bayo's release), so I feel very certain that it's real and only now is getting verified by multiple dataminers for whatever reason.
"Whatever reason" isn't good enough. This reaks of bull**** to me and I'm going to continue to say it until someone links me to someone actually showing me the files in the patch they are datamining.
You weren't there back when Ryu and Roy were datamined? Alongside their character slots were two character slots named "Mario" (which would later turn out to be Bayo and Cloud). And as I told you, datamining is a process and it takes to figure out what stuff in the data means; how to determine a character's movement/physics specs wasn't capable at the time and thus people didn't notice these Mario slots had the stats of Zamus and Ike, and once they were capable of doing so they had to go back and look at the now outdated data. Various dataminers discovered it by looking at the data of the game, here's a Twitter thread of Ruben (one of the premier dataminers) explaining it.
I was but I wasn't as into discussing my excitement with people on the internet as I am now. I also kinda placed my hands on my ears and yelled "LALALA" when I saw the leaks for Roy and Ryu. Reall wanted to be excited for them ya know?

But thank you, this isn't exactly what I'm asking for but I can accept that and drop the discussion. I still think people are blowing this way out of proportion though.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Guys.

Who's the last character alphabetically in the SSB4 roster?

:4zss:

It's very possible that ZSS was added as a placeholder because she was the last character alphabetically. Not because ZSS was used to make Bayonetta.
1. ZSS wasn't the placeholder. Mario was the placeholder name (as in, the file was called 'Mario') while using ZSS data.
2. This wouldn't explain Ike being the data source for both Cloud and Corrin.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeah I don't think you guys need to fret about the ballot being "pointless". I'm sure the results were taken into account when developing Ultimate. Regardless, the Bayo stuff is in the past. That's done. We know that by the time this game was pitched, they at least had a good idea on what the top most-wanted fighters were from the ballot. I'm sure we're gonna see some fan service-y stuff this time around outside of what we've seen already.
what he said lol. Honestly, as soon as I saw the ballot and the Wii U's direction, I realized it was gonna be used on the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom