• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hey, I'm sorry for jumping on you like that. It's not really "neat info" for someone like me. More like sad info, especially since it wasn't necessary to change it like that...
You're right, it is pretty sad news.

They didn't have to un-center the logo like that...

:p

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm sorry for jumping on you like that. It's not really "neat info" for someone like me. More like sad info, especially since it wasn't necessary to change it like that...
At least the game is region free so you could pick up an American or Australian copy of the game and have Yoshi back ;)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
At least the game is region free so you could pick up an American or Australian copy of the game and have Yoshi back ;)
Or just print out a copy of the American box art and replace it yourself.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Silvally? Really?
Honestly, I could see it. Considering the initial prominence Type: Null and Sillvaly had, it's possible that the Pokemon Company thought it would be the Greninja of the generation.

Remember, Greninja was chosen before Gen 6 was even revealed. No one knew Greninja would be popular, or that Ash Greninja would be in the anime. It was a gamble and it just happened to work out. It's possible that it didn't work as well this time around.

Of course, that's humoring a 4chan text leak, but all of these are still possibly real.

2 of them will either be confirmed or deconfirmed within a week though, if that's any consolation.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
That Smash 4 Sakurai interview was highly publicized, getting passed around everywhere with people claiming it meant there would be a lot less newcomers in the game and significant cuts, with a good amount of people going so far to claim it meant Smash 4 would have a smaller overall roster than Brawl (even "news" sites were reporting "Sakurai said Smash 4's roster will be smaller than Brawl's"). Smash 4's first unveiling also happened over a year before release (and Brawl's nearly two years), and shown only a handful of the veterans that were in the game instead of every single one, leaving most veterans to be revealed gradually as time went on, and as a result leave the newcomer reveals more spread out. Another factor are characters not revealed before release, where Brawl had four newcomers and several veterans withheld from being revealed pre-release, and even Smash 4 had two newcomers (three with Dark Pit) alongside some veterans not revealed despite having the least amount of unlockable characters since Smash 64 (and Sakurai considering doing away with the concept of unlockable characters altogether for the game). It's pretty reasonable to assume not all newcomers will be revealed prerelease, especially with this Smash's focus on having most of the roster needing to be unlocked (and with maybe more hidden newcomers than Smash 4 had too, since this time there will be no hidden veterans).
So this was the first time he directly told his audience that there won't be too many newcomers in the unveil (I take your elaboration as a yes)?; however I do agree with that there may be hidden characters in roster this time around which is why I suspect around 7-11 newcomers this time as well. I'm quite shocked that people expected 13++ unique characters this time considering the amount of fighters we have now especially with some people being annoyed that Smash Ultimate came off / felt like a port and even calling it Smash 4.5. The reality is; if you want a brand new looking game (graphically/content wise ; IDK what people expected of Smash 5??) then your not going to have 70+ characters as well in a reasonable amount of time. I doubt there will a story mode (if at all) akin to Subspace emissary considering the amount of characters since brawl has almost doubled. Sakurai outright stated that if he chose the option to build Smash from scratch again that the number of characters playable would be around ONLY 1/3 of the roster (this would be around 23-30-sh characters).

I was one of the ones that tossed the idea around that the new smash could be a reboot or that many cuts was going to happen. It is interesting that Sakurai was ACTUALLY considering to reboot the series.

Do note I actually agree with your number of newcomers; I was just curious as to wither or not he directly told the audience about the newcomer thing. If you look at my past posts, you can see that I suggested the possibility of hidden newcomers.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Let's be Real here for a minute.

I hope Ultimate lets us tilt the Menus with the Right Stick.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People speak of the horrors of using the wiimote as a controller.

They won't live until they try to endure the single joycon experience. :reverse:

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So this was the first time he directly told his audience that there won't be too many newcomers in the unveil (I take your elaboration as a yes)?; however I do agree with that there may be hidden characters in roster this time around which is why I suspect around 7-11 newcomers this time as well. I'm quite shocked that people expected 13++ unique characters this time considering the amount of fighters we have now especially with some people being annoyed that Smash Ultimate came off / felt like a port and even calling it Smash 4.5. The reality is; if you want a brand new looking game (graphically/content wise ; IDK what people expected of Smash 5??) then your not going to have 70+ characters as well in a reasonable amount of time. I doubt there will a story mode (if at all) akin to Subspace emissary considering the amount of characters since brawl has almost doubled. Sakurai outright stated that if he chose the option to build Smash from scratch again that the number of characters playable would be around ONLY 1/3 of the roster (this would be around 23-30-sh characters).

I was one of the ones that tossed the idea around that the new smash could be a reboot or that many cuts was going to happen. It is interesting that Sakurai was ACTUALLY considering to reboot the series.

Do note I actually agree with your number of newcomers; I was just curious as to wither or not he directly told the audience about the newcomer thing. If you look at my past posts, you can see that I suggested the possibility of hidden newcomers.
The prior unveilings also didn't have Sakurai talking much in depth to the audience, they were just trailers and some gameplay, and then Sakurai talked about the game afterward in press conferences and interviews; it wasn't until the first Smash direct (which occurred nearly a year after Smash 4's first unveiling) where Sakurai started actually appearing in video to talk extensively about the game. As such, I don't think it's a meaningful distinction that he said something like this during the unveiling this time, instead of in an interview afterward.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Not saying this will be the case, but would it not be coincidental and funny if the tier list was in the exact same order of each character's numerical value.
Get ready for Bottom Tier Ridley!

He’s as bad as Smash 4 Jigglypuff!

Proof? Plup lost HARD against MKLeo, but Bayo is low tier after all the nerfs Sakurai gave her back in Japan.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Not saying this will be the case, but would it not be coincidental and funny if the tier list was in the exact same order of each character's numerical value.
I'm ready for top tier Mario and upper tier Pichu.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God, that looks so unnatural. Is that an official Nintendo image?
Yes.
You could barely use it to play Smash, and Nintendo advertises a single joycon as a way to play, so I bet it will be an option.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I joked with my friends for a looooooong time that maybe we don't want Smash on Switch, because nobody would be prepared to play with a single Joy-Con.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You know what would be even worse? 8-Player Smash where everyone plays on the Switch's handheld mode. Could you imagine 8 people huddled around a tiny screen?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know what would be even worse? 8-Player Smash where everyone plays on the Switch's handheld mode. Could you imagine 8 people huddled around a tiny screen?
When I was in high school, my friends and I constantly wanted to play Smash Wii U during class, but obviously we didn't have a TV to plug it into. So what we did is plugged the Wii U in, propped the Gamepad up, and played on that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm honestly used to playing the 3DS version so much that I have no qualms with how big the Switch's handheld screen size is. I usually play handheld more than I do on my TV. :oneeye:

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Don't feel bad, it's not like Yoshi's an important Nintendo character or anything :troll:

Just kidding I'm sorry

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's a really big question for everyone:
Are you going to buy Smash Ultimate Physically or Digitally?

I'm going to buy it physically, because 1. i dont have bank-powered plastic cards and i don't want to get an e-shop card and 2. i want to complete my physical collection of the smash games. The only one I actually don't have is 4 Wii U, but since I have 4 3DS I'm gonna count it for all of 4 anyway. :p

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Are you going to buy Smash Ultimate Physical or Digital?

I'm going to buy it physically, because 1. i dont have bank-powered plastic cards and i don't want to get an e-shop card and 2. i want to complete my physical collection of the smash games. The only one I actually don't have is 4 Wii U, but since I have 4 3DS I'm gonna count it for all of 4 anyway. :p
I own a physical copy of every Super Smash Bros. title ever released.

I'm buying physical.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I've gone physical for every other Smash Bros game, but I've also been buying damn near every Switch game I own digitally, so I think I'm gonna go digital. That way I won't have to carry around a game card, I'll just always have it with me whenever someone wants to play.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Digital because I'm getting the JP version and I'm not waiting a month for a physical copy.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Physical, if I can buy a game physically I'm buying it physically everytime

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I thought it was a worldwide December 7th release, is Japan getting it early then? First I've heard of this
I believe it's globally released on December 7th. Not unless Europe gets Europe'd again.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Physical, without question. I still like owning physical games in spite of how popular buying digital games are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom