• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit surprised that leaks are still dropping 8~16 newcomers after what Sakurai said at E3.
I can only see 5 at max. But maybe I was tricked by the man. With 5 newcomers they can show 3 until the game releases and keep 2 hidden.

(Also,I saw that someone is building a leak log,mind to share?)
7, one a month and 2 secret fighters

SonicMario

Smash Master
But, it's not 2019. It's still 2018.
It may not be releasing in 2019 exactly but I think it's still no coincidence they're going all this way to return all the characters and a good majority of stages for this occasion. Maybe on the exact month of Smash Bros. 20th anniversary we get a Smash direct that announces some cool free updates and/or our first batch of DLC (Though reminder that Smash 64 released in January 1999 in Japan, So December 2018 will literally be only a month before the franchise turns 20 in Japan. In the US though, it turns 20 in April 2019. Which would probably be a more likely spot to start announcing DLC since I'm sure they want to give some time for the base game to have it's breathing room first. That's also the same month the fighter ballot for Smash 4 was announced. Not saying they'll immediately make yet another ballot, but it has been a time used for Smash announcements a few times throughout Smash 4's time).

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not saying this will be the case, but would it not be coincidental and funny if the tier list was in the exact same order of each character's numerical value?

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
After Smash 4's unveiling he said in an interview "new characters aren't the focus", "we can't just make a roster of 50 characters and call it a good game", "we're already at the upper limit of what's feasible", and "a change in direction may be needed". Yet Smash 4's newcomer count and overall roster jump in the base game ended up inline with Brawl's with minimal cuts...for a roster of around 50 characters (51 total, 49 if you discount Lucina/Dark Pit). And that was with Smash 4 being made for the Wii U and 3DS simultaneously and making the jump to HD.

Sakurai as is seems to like lowballing things in general (he did it for Smash 4 DLC too) and just likes to temper fan expectations, which tend to ride really high in Smash hype (which is especially going to be the case after you reveal every single veteran is coming back, including those that people thought we would never see in a Smash game again). Like I said earlier, while Smash Ultimate almost certainly does have less unique newcomers than what Brawl and Smash 4 had, his statement was probably more intended to temper wild expectations so fans don't get disappointed and backlash at the game when the final unique newcomer count is somewhere around 8-12 instead of the potentially 20+ they may have been thinking.

EDIT: Also "not too many" is very subjective itself and means different things to everyone. For the very pessimistic it can mean just a few, at face value it can just mean less than what we had previously, for the optimistic it can mean not 20+, so nobody can put a real value on how much it exactly means.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't this the first time where Sakurai said "don't expect too many newcomers" Directly to the Smash audience / fans and this happened at E3 (the biggest gaming convention). I mean there's only 5 months left... the time is ticking. Smash 4 character reveals was spaced out (in some cases months). I am expecting them to reveal at least one character a month which leaves us with 5 more newcomers. If they unveil 2 a month then we would be at 10 newcomers.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Has there been any (((leak))) with him in it?
There have been 5 leaks with Bandana Dee out of 39 40, or in 12.5% of leaks so far.

Another text leak: this one is interesting-ish
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422096664
These are all the Smash Ultimate first party newcomers.​
A few were picked based on how high they ranked in the character polls, but the ultimate theme was to add a new character relating to what console they first appeared on.​
>Ridley, Daisy, K Rool, Ray, Isaac, and Chibi Robo ranked high in the polls​
>Prince Fluff was added because Epic Yarn was very successful on the Wii and he also has a Kirby skin​
>Agent J is an amalgamation of Nintendo music games and some of his attacks incorporate characters from Rhythm Heaven​
>Silvally was thought to be the breakout character from Gen VII at the time of Smash Ultimate's production so he was added​
I think this comment sums up my thoughts on it well.
>Prince Fluff
>Elite Beat Agents
>Chibi Robo
what the ****
But Ray is my dream to be completely honest with you. Chibi-Robo would also be a cool addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That'd be cool, but I really want it to still start with a giant Squirtle, so I can play as Squirtle on said Squirtle.
Yo dawg, I heard you liked Squirtle, so I put a Squirtle on your Squirtle so you can Squirtle while you Squirtle.

....that sounds very weird when said out loud.....

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Not saying this will be the case, but would it not be coincidental and funny if the tier list was in the exact same order of each character's numerical value.
I feel bad for all the new Inkling and Ridley mains.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I know it's unlikely, but it's not impossible for some ATs to be elevated to playable fighters as DLC, I mean it would save Sakurai a lot of work, as ATs can now be knocked out

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Planet Zebes would be a pretty nice throwback stage. I'd also like it since it also shows Ridley's legacy as well, since he's been there in Smash Bros from the beginning - it's just that now we finally get to play as him. :p
Ridley returning to the Smash stage that started his glorious journey to becoming the underdog of Smash Bros...would be such an excellent conclusion to his story

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I just had this thought after seeing that newly posted garbage rumor, if the project plan was decided in 2015, wouldn't that be perfect timing for Chibi Robo? Zip Lash came out in 2015 and was being advertised by Nintendo a ton. It was shown at E3, was shown in several Directs, had a good amount of Treehouse time, and Chibi Robo got that amiibo box set. He was being pushed heavily around the time of the project plan. I know a lot of people think he's too obscure or w/e, but he's been around for about 10 years as of 2015 with 4 (?) games in that span. I think this bodes well for his chances.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Was Smash 4 ever playable at events after it's E3 reveal?
A demo of Smash Wii U was playable at Best Buy during E3 2014 (Smash 4 was originally revealed at E3 2013), and about a month or so before the Wii U version officially came out, Nintendo had a single day where they allowed people to play the full version of Smash Wii U at GameStop.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't this the first time where Sakurai said "don't expect too many newcomers" Directly to the Smash audience / fans and this happened at E3 (the biggest gaming convention). I mean there's only 5 months left... the time is ticking. Smash 4 character reveals was spaced out (in some cases months). I am expecting them to reveal at least one character a month which leaves us with 5 more newcomers. If they unveil 2 a month then we would be at 10 newcomers.
That Smash 4 Sakurai interview was highly publicized, getting passed around everywhere with people claiming it meant there would be a lot less newcomers in the game and significant cuts, with a good amount of people going so far to claim it meant Smash 4 would have a smaller overall roster than Brawl (even "news" sites were reporting "Sakurai said Smash 4's roster will be smaller than Brawl's"). Smash 4's first unveiling also happened over a year before release (and Brawl's nearly two years), and shown only a handful of the veterans that were in the game instead of every single one, leaving most veterans to be revealed gradually as time went on, and as a result left the newcomer reveals more spread out. Another factor are characters not revealed before release, where Brawl had four newcomers and several veterans withheld from being revealed pre-release, and even Smash 4 had two newcomers (three with Dark Pit) alongside some veterans not revealed despite having the least amount of unlockable characters since Smash 64 (and Sakurai considering doing away with the concept of unlockable characters altogether for the game). It's pretty reasonable to assume not all newcomers will be revealed prerelease, especially with this Smash's focus on having most of the roster needing to be unlocked (and with maybe more hidden newcomers than Smash 4 had too, since this time there will be no hidden veterans).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash Ultimate needs to add these past stages:

Kongo Jungle 64
Meta Crystal (Metal Mario’s stage)
Peach’s Castle 64
Brinstar Depths
Fountain of Dreams
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
Delfino Plaza
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Pirate Ship
Dream Land (3DS)
Gamer
Golden Plains
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Windy Hill Zone
Woolly World
PictoChat X

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Peach’s Castle 64
Brinstar Depths
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Pirate Ship
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Rainbow Road
PictoChat X
These stages especially are ones that are desperately needed to return

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The metal cave from 64 and the unique to Subspace one v one stages would be cool extras.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So... you think that 10 is a good number and they showed two of them at E3 and there are more 8 to be showed in the next 6 months? Believe me, if Sakurai would add more 10 characters in this game, I'm sure he wouldn't feel in the need of giving a explanation. 10 characters would be the expected, if he pratically said "Sorry" about the number of newcomers is because there are not that much.

Also, E3 is big. If they had more 7~8 newcomers they would used the e3 hype over some of them.
6 more over the next 6 months and a couple secret newcomers does make a lot of sense. He gave an explanation because less characters are going to be introduced than in the last game, I think he's trying to reel in expectations so people aren't expecting like 15, doesn't mean there has to be only like 5

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
Decided to check which past stages were left to see in Ultimate. Here are the fruits of my short labor :p

Big Battlefield
Brinstar Depths
Delfino Plaza
Dream Land (3DS)
Fountain of Dreams
Gamer
Golden Plains
Hanenbow
Icicle Mountain
Kongo Jungle
Mario Bros.
Miiverse
Mushroom Kingdom (64)
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Mute City (Melee)
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Paper Mario
Peach's Castle (64)
Pirate Ship
Planet Zebes
Poke Floats
Pyrosphere
Rainbow Cruise
Rainbow Road
Rumble Falls
Sector Z
Windy Hill Zone
Woolly World
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Total: 30 missing stages

With that said, we can iron things out for a theoritical "maximum number" we can expect and predict a few things.

We can already lower it to 29 because there's no way Miiverse is coming back.

Sector Z and Planet Zebes are very similar to Corneria and Brinstar respectively, so I can see them not making the cut. 27.

I can only see one of the Mushroom Kingdom stages make it. 26.

I also think the stages that were in Smash Wii U except for Miiverse will come back since the game uses that game's assets anyway, so why waste those stages?

So that means Gamer, Jungle Hijinx, Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle, Pirate Ship, Pyrosphere, Windy Hill Zone, Woolly World and Yoshi's Island have a high change of returning. That gives us 9 stages that are very likely to return.

Flat Zone and PictoChat were also confirmed, but those stages have mutliple versions and which one made it in is left very ambiguous, so I didn't write any of its versions in the list. My personal bet is that we're get Flat Zone X and a "new" PictoChat X which would have the same comcept as Flat Zone X.

Forgot Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 lol

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So... you think that 10 is a good number and they showed two of them at E3 and there are more 8 to be showed in the next 6 months? Believe me, if Sakurai would add more 10 characters in this game, I'm sure he wouldn't feel in the need of giving a explanation. 10 characters would be the expected, if he pratically said "Sorry" about the number of newcomers is because there are not that much.

Also, E3 is big. If they had more 7~8 newcomers they would used the e3 hype over some of them.
Yes, just remember all the amazing newcomers they showed at Smash 4's E3!

All 3 of them.

Meanwhile, we have two newcomers AND the return of all veterans this E3.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Smash Ultimate needs to add these past stages:

Kongo Jungle 64
Meta Crystal (Metal Mario’s stage)
Peach’s Castle 64
Brinstar Depths
Fountain of Dreams
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
Delfino Plaza
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Pirate Ship
Dream Land (3DS)
Gamer
Golden Plains
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Windy Hill Zone
Woolly World
PictoChat X
That's almost the entire rest of the stages...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of nostalgia and Smash 64 I kind of want this theme to come back.

OG Final Destination demands its respect.
I hope on Smash's birthday we get DLC that lets you play on every version of Final Destination. Battlefield, too (Metal Cavern to me is the Battlefield of 64).

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
There have been 5 leaks with Bandana Dee out of 39 40, or in 12.5% of leaks so far.

Another text leak: this one is interesting-ish
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422096664
These are all the Smash Ultimate first party newcomers.​
A few were picked based on how high they ranked in the character polls, but the ultimate theme was to add a new character relating to what console they first appeared on.​
>Ridley, Daisy, K Rool, Ray, Isaac, and Chibi Robo ranked high in the polls​
>Prince Fluff was added because Epic Yarn was very successful on the Wii and he also has a Kirby skin​
>Agent J is an amalgamation of Nintendo music games and some of his attacks incorporate characters from Rhythm Heaven​
>Silvally was thought to be the breakout character from Gen VII at the time of Smash Ultimate's production so he was added​
I think this comment sums up my thoughts on it well.
>Prince Fluff
>Elite Beat Agents
>Chibi Robo
what the ****
But Ray is my dream to be completely honest with you. Chibi-Robo would also be a cool addition.
Silvally? Really?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A neat little fun fact I learned: In Germany, due to the rating on the box being bigger than most other places, the box art for Smash Ultimate had to be changed a bit.

Pikachu was moved up, Yoshi was removed entirely, and the logo isn't centered.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
A neat little fun fact I learned: In Germany, due to the rating on the box being bigger than most other places, the box art for Smash Ultimate had to be changed a bit.

Pikachu was moved up, Yoshi was removed entirely, and the logo isn't centered.

Goddammit, this is like the 5th time someone brought this up in a week!!! Stop reminding me!!!

Also, your definition of "neat" is a little questionable

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Goddammit, this is like the 5th time someone brought this up in a week!!! Stop reminding me!!!
Hey man, I was just tryin' to share some neat info, I didn't know it was already posted. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom