• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but that's your own opinion.

And so is yours.

The responses from here and the responses of 'general gaming public' vary. Sure, but Smash has always been Nintendo's biggest crossover, and biggest fighting game. I don't see why the core fanbase should be **** on so much, just because it appeals for people who don't even give a damn about Pikachu, Mario and Donkey Kong in the same game.

I still don't get the appeal, outside of wanting to do the 'unthinkable' sort of shockvallue sort of thing... Which till today, resulted in yet nothing (FF7 on Switch for example).
As far as the ballot goes... almost all Smash fans were disappointed by the result, I think that's testament to the difference between what Smash fans want, and what the general public wants.

And iirc, wasn't Cloud a result of that ballot? Regardless, Bayonetta seems to have been, despite us seeing names like Banjo and Isaac and Ridley and K.Rool take the top spots in the polls. Once again, highlighting that heavy disconnect between the fans of the franchise, and gamers at large.

If anything the results of the ballot help to reinforce my point.
Veterans as Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy where appealing for the core base. Honestly, the return of those 2 hyped me WAY more than any newcomer in Smash 4. Especially Mewtwo. Mewtwo is a prime example for my case here honestly. He was way more requested than Ridley, K.Rool, and even Mega Man, yet they choose to ignore him untill they wanted a testing ground for DLC.

Cloud might've been a ballot choice yes, but if results of online polls could say anything, he's not the most popular choice. Neither was Bayonetta. They where chosen by Sakurai himself for... reasons.

Anyway, I still think that Smash should appeal to it's core fanbase more than it did in Smash 4. If anything, they took the support for the core fanbase for granted, and that's why I never would've bought the game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think the next Smash game could benefit from:
New characters (including 3rd party such as Scorpion); cuts with the potential for a return down the line as a download
Scrapping custom specials; adding in a possible tag-team/switch out move for each character
Tagteam Smash (a player could select a different character for each Stock and switch them out)
Adventure mode like Melee with stages from different series
Shield tiers
New Fighting Modes (Tag: in multi-smash a player is randomly targeted with a bulls-eye; knocking them off the stage results in netting two points or the player losing two stocks)
More movement options (although these could just be fitted into a specific special)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also after long consideration, I think Torterra would be absolutely a terrific newcomer for the next game.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I think the best possible idea for Smash Switch would be to use Smash 4 as a base, and build off of that.
  • The big addition is a new Adventure Mode, taking from Subspace Emissary, Melee's Adventure Mode, and Smash Run for inspiration. (Maybe it replaces Smash Tour? IDK). New bosses, new levels, new enemies...
  • New modes for multiplayer, stadium and such.
  • Add in stages from 3DS, and maybe a few new ones, along with more customization on music selection.
  • Hazard / "legal" switch. That alone gives us more competitive-type stages.
  • Enhanced stage builder.
  • Retooled customization system with unique custom moves.
  • Character moveset changes (Samus and Zelda come to mind)
  • General balance / stability fixes
  • Introduce two or three new characters (I'd say five at most, being Icies / Wolf / Snake and two newcomers), and release DLC seasons focused on newcomers (from both Nintendo and third-party franchises). There'd be at least two seasons of maybe 5-6 newcomers? Each with their own stage, perhaps?
Not quite Smash 4 DX, but not quite Smash 5. I think this could be a good direction for the next Smash.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm not too big on board a new Subspace Emissary, but if it means more funny and awesome cutscenes like the clip where Lucario discovers Snake, or when Sonic blasted through Tabuu's wings? Then hell yeah bring it back.

Otherwise, a Melee Adventure Mode suits me fine and good.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not too big on board a new Subspace Emissary, but if it means more funny and awesome cutscenes like the clip where Lucario discovers Snake, or when Sonic blasted through Tabuu's wings? Then hell yeah bring it back.

Otherwise, a Melee Adventure Mode suits me fine and good.
You forgot the best one.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think a Melee styled Adventure mode would suit whatever Smash Bros game comes out next the best.

In it would be branching paths the player can take which results in different outcomes based on what they do and how they perform on certain stages.

i.e. World 1 is a Mario level and the 3 possible paths you can take are the Yoshi, Wario, and DK stages for World 2 depending on what you do on the Mario level.

Then to make things less predictable, what you do on World 2 will impact which Route you take in World 3.

i.e. Doing either of the 3 paths will lead you in to a Zelda level for World 3 but they're all different. Yoshi's path takes you to the easy World 3, DK's path takes you to the normal World 3, and Wario's path takes you to the hard World 3.

Similar to branching paths in Star Fox 64 I guess.

Last edited:

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
I just want a reason to turn the game on without an internet connection/without having friends over. Smash 4 is like ****ing unplayable single player.

I want a less stupid way to unlock custom moves because I believe that's half the reason nobody plays with customs.

And I want Mii Fighters to have their height/weight rebalanced. If the community demands 50/50 that's manageable but I don't know why 0/0 is better in every damn way. Heavier and taller miis should hit harder and be heavier with longer grab ranges and hit boxes, that way at least 50/50 would be "balanced" instead of just being straight up worse in every way with no benefit. I wanted to main Mii Gunner before the game came out. I have the community to blame for the 50/50 1111 **** but I also have the development team to blame for making 50/50 garbage bull**** in the first place.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Part of me kinda wishes there was a story mode in SSB4 like Subspace Emissary. One of the reasons I wanted Duck Hunt Dog in Smash was that I wanted the dog to be the one hunting Smash characters and turning them into trophies in the story mode.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Part of me kinda wishes there was a story mode in SSB4 like Subspace Emissary. One of the reasons I wanted Duck Hunt Dog in Smash was that I wanted the dog to be the one hunting Smash characters and turning them into trophies in the story mode.
Oh my God! I can see it!

Dog hides in grass, characters are shot and turned into trophies, he pickes them up like in the game.

Then a Pit flies by and he avoids all the shots, so the dog laughs at the camera.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
What are all the options for what they could do with Smash 5? There's the port, new game, Melee HD, RelaxAlax suggested a redesign, what else?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What are all the options for what they could do with Smash 5? There's the port, new game, Melee HD, RelaxAlax suggested a redesign, what else?
Add more characters? Add more features?

Why do people have this mentality that Smash 5 has to be some sort of overhaul? It's done just fine doing what it's been doing for the past 2 decades.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Add more characters? Add more features?

Why do people have this mentality that Smash 5 has to be some sort of overhaul? It's done just fine doing what it's been doing for the past 2 decades.
I asked this question because I want to do something new with a platform fighter.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I asked this question because I want to do something new with a platform fighter.
Well if there was a new platform fighter it should be something completely unrelated to Smash Bros IMO.

Maybe a new IP akin to Splatoon and ARMS.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A port from Wii U without many character additions will still probably spell out big profits for Nintendo. Adding in like a couple veterans and a couple newcomers may not be too exciting to us but it may be a big deal to a wide audience if they're from popular Switch properties like ARMS and Splatoon. Like sure, Cloud in Smash was a big deal back when he was announced, and exposure for the game is never bad but placing characters like Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Ryu, or even, dare I say it Snake, into the promotional material or even on the front of the box could give incentive to more people to buy the game maybe even more than what a Social Media blowup would. That's why I really think they should just build on the very sturdy, very underutilized foundation that they had with Wii U. No need to start all the way over when Wii U is still so beautiful and so fresh.

Give us Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and maybe even Squirtle and Ivysaur, and a couple Nintendo newcomers and maybe a new third party and call it a day on characters. Then focus on making the game replayable and enjoyable in more ways than just regular Smashing. I feel that's where Wii U stumbled the most, game modes. Wasn't as replayable as Brawl and especially not Melee or 64 because of that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A port from Wii U without many character additions will still probably spell out big profits for Nintendo. Adding in like a couple veterans and a couple newcomers may not be too exciting to us but it may be a big deal to a wide audience if they're from popular Switch properties like ARMS and Splatoon. Like sure, Cloud in Smash was a big deal back when he was announced, and exposure for the game is never bad but placing characters like Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Ryu, or even, dare I say it Snake, into the promotional material or even on the front of the box could give incentive to more people to buy the game maybe even more than what a Social Media blowup would. That's why I really think they should just build on the very sturdy, very underutilized foundation that they had with Wii U. No need to start all the way over when Wii U is still so beautiful and so fresh.

Give us Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and maybe even Squirtle and Ivysaur, and a couple Nintendo newcomers and maybe a new third party and call it a day on characters. Then focus on making the game replayable and enjoyable in more ways than just regular Smashing. I feel that's where Wii U stumbled the most, game modes. Wasn't as replayable as Brawl and especially not Melee or 64 because of that.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the implication a couple more veterans or newcomers wouldn't also be exciting for us. If anything we're the demographic most likely to already own all the existing characters and buy a new version of a game we already own simply because there are a few new combatants. If a port happens there's going to be a whole new audience for the base game, let alone the DLC, let alone any possible new content. Not that it wouldn't also be exciting to others. It really would excite everyone other than the small contingent of those who already own Smash 4 and have no plans to purchase a potential port.

Personally I think there's probably a reason Nintendo opts to not put the third-parties on the cover, because I agree it would make a great deal of sense as far as marketing and awareness goes. I can't imagine why they continue to refrain from doing so. Who knows what unseen factors there are at work.

And fwiw, more and more people seem to be discounting the possibility for a port, but I still think it's going to happen. People act like because it's not within the first year of the Switch means we've veered too far away from the plausible window, but that's not really how Nintendo works. They port and upgrade stuff all the time. Xenoblade came out for 3ds five years after it first released. As long as there's money to be made, it's really never too late for a re-release. Plus Nintendo seems pretty intent on having a steady stream of content for the Switch, and ports help mitigate dry spells. Makes more sense to release a game like the Smash port next year instead of during a fairly loaded first-year (with other fighting games Nintendo likely didn't want to detract attention from). Not to mention I'm pretty sure Reggie hinted we'd still be seeing more Wii U ports on the way.

D

Deleted member

I agree with most of what you said, except for the implication a couple more veterans or newcomers wouldn't also be exciting for us. If anything we're the demographic most likely to already own all the existing characters and buy a new version of a game we already own simply because there are a few new combatants. If a port happens there's going to be a whole new audience for the base game, let alone the DLC, let alone any possible new content. Not that it wouldn't also be exciting to others. It really would excite everyone other than the small contingent of those who already own Smash 4 and have no plans to purchase a potential port.

Personally I think there's probably a reason Nintendo opts to not put the third-parties on the cover, because I agree it would make a great deal of sense as far as marketing and awareness goes. I can't imagine why they continue to refrain from doing so. Who knows what unseen factors there are at work.

And fwiw, more and more people seem to be discounting the possibility for a port, but I still think it's going to happen. People act like because it's not within the first year of the Switch means we've veered too far away from the plausible window, but that's not really how Nintendo works. They port and upgrade stuff all the time. Xenoblade came out for 3ds five years after it first released. As long as there's money to be made, it's really never too late for a re-release. Plus Nintendo seems pretty intent on having a steady stream of content for the Switch, and ports help mitigate dry spells. Makes more sense to release a game like the Smash port next year instead of during a fairly loaded first-year (with other fighting games Nintendo likely didn't want to detract attention from). Not to mention I'm pretty sure Reggie hinted we'd still be seeing more Wii U ports on the way.
I fully agree, a port of 4 is the most likely scenario.

It'd take little to no work from Sakurai, who at this point seems to be at his limit with the series, and they could use the ballot to plan out which characters could be most enticing to people who already bought it for 3DS/WiiU.

Making a brand new game would require gathering a team, planning out the project, and most likely, finding a new director.

I was thinking over the discussion from last night, and the more I thought about it, the more convinced I was that the course of action would be Deluxe port of 4 > Reboot of series with 5 a few years later. Currently at Nintendo, we're seeing new blood be given a chance to revitalize the company with fresh new ideas. Splatoon was s brand new IP made by a new team, so was ARMS, Mario Odyssey is also lead by different people from the usual crowd, Zelda BotW, while lead by Aonuma, totally scrapped all the old conventions of the previous Zelda games, and the Switch itself was a bold and risky experiment pushed by younger devs.

It's true that Sakurai sees Smash as a party game first, and it's true that there are a lot of traditions set in place by him, but it's also true that not everyone sees Smash the sane way he does, and that he himself seems to have lost his spark with the series. I'm very very sure that the fifth entry in the series would be lead by someone else, and will try to reboot the franchise with some new interesting ideas. Just going by what I said previously + all the current happenings within Nintendo internally.

A port of 4 for Switch would be the best way to tide people over until that time comes.

D

Deleted member

Not exactly in relation with next Smash's speculation, but I think it's still worth sharing this video here:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We aren’t getting Melee HD. If we get Melee again, it will be because of Gamecube Classic Edition (after the N64 Classic Edition, that is).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We aren’t getting Melee HD. If we get Melee again, it will be because of Gamecube Classic Edition (after the N64 Classic Edition, that is).
Uh, you can't really say that for sure. I mean, I don't think it's happening either, but you kind of have no authority over the franchise.

It's really a case of "due to our observations, it's pretty unlikely to get nothing more than an HD remake" at best at this point.

For that matter, it could be a regular HD release, it could be the VC game with updated graphics, it could be an overhauled version with bug fixes... who knows. Or it may never get any kind of re-release. Again, who knows. I don't. You don't. Only Nintendo does.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Uh, you can't really say that for sure. I mean, I don't think it's happening either, but you kind of have no authority over the franchise.

It's really a case of "due to our observations, it's pretty unlikely to get nothing more than an HD remake" at best at this point.

For that matter, it could be a regular HD release, it could be the VC game with updated graphics, it could be an overhauled version with bug fixes... who knows. Or it may never get any kind of re-release. Again, who knows. I don't. You don't. Only Nintendo does.
Except Melee HD would cater exclusively towards the competitive crowd, which is nit Smash's, let alone Nintendo's target audience. Plus, one could argue that if Nintendo would try fiddling with the competitive crowd a bit more, they'd just promote a new Smash/Smash 4 instead of Melee similar to how USF4, Injustice, BlazBlue Crono Phantasma (I think that was the name of one of the games) and UMVC3 don't get played anymore but rather their sequels

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except Melee HD would cater exclusively towards the competitive crowd, which is nit Smash's, let alone Nintendo's target audience. Plus, one could argue that if Nintendo would try fiddling with the competitive crowd a bit more, they'd just promote a new Smash/Smash 4 instead of Melee similar to how USF4, Injustice, BlazBlue Crono Phantasma (I think that was the name of one of the games) and UMVC3 don't get played anymore but rather their sequels
That's a good argument of why it's unlikely.

A very nice and reasonable opinion.

Which, honestly, is what it is and all it is. There's legitimate reasons to believe it's unlikely to happen. But the only way to confirm it won't ever happen is Nintendo, the owners of the franchise, actually saying that themselves. Till then, it's up in the air. At some point people need to realize they don't actually know what'll happen for sure. This is one of those cases. Nobody should believe it's not happening because they actually could be wrong. The only realistic thing to believe is "it feels doubtful, due to observations of Nintendo's own actions and what the marketing options are", which is a simple summary of what you said.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really really doubt we get a Melee HD. The competitive crowd worships it, but it didn't perform exponentially better than any of the other Smash games given their respective platforms. And its part of an iterative franchise which mostly builds off its predecessors instead of going in totally different directions like Zelda or Mario... so... it seems more likely Nintendo spends the resources moving the series ahead than regurgitating its past. Excluding an eventual potential VC or eShop release.

That said, I'm not some uncle who works at Nintendo so I can't say with certainty whether we'll get it or not. None of us can. Just like how none of us can say we're definitely not getting an HD Smash 64 or Brawl... though I'd wager against it. But speaking definitively with an unwarranted sense of authority will by no means be limited to this exchange, so I figured, as internet people, we were all used to it by now.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The only chance for a "Melee HD" I can see actually happening is as an bonus side-game packaged within the next Smash to incentivize all parties to buy the new game, but I doubt Nintendo would ever feel an need or want to go that route.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why wouldn't they do a Melee HD remake? I can sense a huge profit coming from that. Especially if they add some.new characters that are especially popular with the competitive crowd as Diddy Kong, Meta Knight and Zero Suit Samus. Maybe Wolf as well, and reworked movesets of the clones.

Melee was a real ambitious piece of work, the fact it had such great quality despite it being extremely rushed is nothing short but amazing. I really hope they could fix up the game with new additions and more focus on balance whilst keeping the combo heavy engine. I don't even care about wavedashing and other Melee errors at this point, I've done about 10 years without since Brawl came out.

Melee HD would honestly excite me more than a Smash 4 port. Am not really expecting it to happen, but honestly, neither did I expect remakes of say, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga or Samus Returns. Even Majora's Mask came as a surprise. Good games get remakes all the time, and Melee was definitely a good game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Even Majora's Mask came as a surprise.
That one was less surprising because of the OoT remake that happened a few years before it, but other than that, yeah, their latest remakes were pretty unexpected and they've been well-acclaimed as well, if I recall correctly.

I could see Nintendo bring back more games from the past from time to time. Melee HD? I'm not sure about that one. If no new game or Smash 4 port is in the works, then it's not impossible, but otherwise, it's not gonna happen. Not for a few years, at least.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Why wouldn't they do a Melee HD remake? I can sense a huge profit coming from that. Especially if they add some.new characters that are especially popular with the competitive crowd as Diddy Kong, Meta Knight and Zero Suit Samus. Maybe Wolf as well, and reworked movesets of the clones.

Melee was a real ambitious piece of work, the fact it had such great quality despite it being extremely rushed is nothing short but amazing. I really hope they could fix up the game with new additions and more focus on balance whilst keeping the combo heavy engine. I don't even care about wavedashing and other Melee errors at this point, I've done about 10 years without since Brawl came out.

Melee HD would honestly excite me more than a Smash 4 port. Am not really expecting it to happen, but honestly, neither did I expect remakes of say, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga or Samus Returns. Even Majora's Mask came as a surprise. Good games get remakes all the time, and Melee was definitely a good game.
I don't know why, but I'm pretty certain that for one reason or another Nintendo doesn't like having the Melee community around, this is the same company that once intended to shut down the whole Melee event at Evo 2013 and probably only changed their minds because they realized that would not look good for their PR.

D

Deleted member

>Melee HD

Guess what the Switch doesn't have...

download.jpg

That alone kills any possibility of a rerelease of any sort unless it's a complete remake from the ground up. In which case, the competitive crowd will hate it because it's different. Might as well just make a completely new game at that point if your only option is to remake it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't know why, but I'm pretty certain that for one reason or another Nintendo doesn't like having the Melee community around, this is the same company that once intended to shut down the whole Melee event at Evo 2013 and probably only changed their minds because they realized that would not look good for their PR.
I doubt it's that. They have been going after anything fan-related pretty randomly. Stuff like that makes people other than them money easily. Like most tournaments. They're not really a fan of, well, fan projects. That's why they didn't like Other M or hacks in general. That's why they don't like Gamesharks/cheat devices, because it's "messing with their product". They've taken down quite a few YouTube Let's Plays because it's just gameplay(only ones with actual commentary tend to sometimes be spared, since it has enough unique fan content to be considered "their own thing"). They've even tried to shut down fanfiction.

It's understandable they would want to go after fanworks that intentionally are trying to make money off of their products. Fair. But that only applies to selling. However, it's also a part of Japanese culture. They're not highly competitive and prefer tournaments to be more casual. This is why "money on the line" isn't favored among Nintendo and applies to many tournaments in general in the country. It's a values dissonance. Besides that, Nintendo is hyper protective of their IP's to the point of being overzealous, like when they are trying to shut down offline cheating(which shouldn't matter, honestly. Online has you making the experience for other players unfun, so that's legitimate), fanfiction, and tourneys that only at best help sell their products. Fan hacks and Let's Plays with no commentary are actually dubious(especially if they don't make money for the person making these fan videos/hacks), and don't have a straight answer. But there is still some justification, as they didn't go after the Metroid II remake until they wanted to release their own, which would hurt their own product. Since it's dubious, the law would side with them, of course. LP's are a very odd thing, as they sometimes count under the parody clause due to your own commentary/additions to the video itself.

D

Deleted member

I'd say it's less to do with Japanese culture, and more to do with Nintendo's pride, business mindset, and the fact that the company is run a by bunch of old people, and owned by a singular family that founded it about two centuries ago.

The Japanase themselves are actually quite competitive in fact, it's what fuels their fierce work ethic.

Moreover fighting games are more popular and thrive a lot better in Japan than anywhere else in the world.

Plus you've got other Japanese companies like SEGA that do what Nintendon't in regard to mods, fangames, and Internet culture.

Nintendo, as always, are just way behind the times when it comes to this stuff.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
>Melee HD

Guess what the Switch doesn't have...

That alone kills any possibility of a rerelease of any sort unless it's a complete remake from the ground up. In which case, the competitive crowd will hate it because it's different. Might as well just make a completely new game at that point if your only option is to remake it.
Thank you. This is why I believe we will get Melee back when we get Gamecube Classic Edition.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Melee HD could easily still happen, or at the very least a Virtual Console port. It's not like the Analog L and R buttons are an end all for Melee like it would be for say Super Mario Sunshine. You NEED it in Sunshine. It's just preferable in Melee.

VC seems more likely as people would have more incentive to buy another controller, and potentially a controller adapter, if there are more games to play that require it than just Melee. They'll have to figure it out themselves but Melee certainly can be made available in some form. Not that it means it will but there's very simple solutions to the problem(s) y'all brought up.

Still wonder if VC is even going to come back for Switch or not. I'm starting to feel like it's a thing of the past at this point.

D

Deleted member

Melee HD could easily still happen, or at the very least a Virtual Console port. It's not like the Analog L and R buttons are an end all for Melee like it would be for say Super Mario Sunshine. You NEED it in Sunshine. It's just preferable in Melee.

VC seems more likely as people would have more incentive to buy another controller, and potentially a controller adapter, if there are more games to play that require it than just Melee. They'll have to figure it out themselves but Melee certainly can be made available in some form. Not that it means it will but there's very simple solutions to the problem(s) y'all brought up.

Still wonder if VC is even going to come back for Switch or not. I'm starting to feel like it's a thing of the past at this point.
Analog shielding are necessary in Melee due to light shielding. It's an intentional mechanic in Melee and not something Nintendo would likely ignore. Moreover, analog triggers do play a role in competitive Melee as well, thus, without them, you're unlikely to get their attention which defeats the purpose of even remaking it at all. Plain and simple, if it's not a 1:1 clone of Melee but with better graphics and netplay, most Melee fans won't bother.

And again, given all the resources that would need to go into an HD remake + the chances that would inevitably take place and alienate the main target audience, there's little reason to even make one, and are better off just making a new entry. Plus, as N3ON pointed out, the Smash series is additive, so there's very little reason to go back outside of a nostalgia factor. Yes, the physics mechanics in Melee are objectively better, but well, that's another topic of discussion.

As far as VC releases go, I don't see the Gamecube getting a VC on Switch for numerous reasons. Controller and analogues aside, the biggest factor at play here is that Switch can't emulate the Gamecube, it's simply not powerful enough.

The Wii and WiiU ran GCN games natively since they used the same architecture. Wii was essentially two GCNs taped together (it was originally gonna be a mid gen add-on), and the WiiU is just a Wii on steroids, that's why WiiU has access to "Wii mode" and can even be hacked to read Gamecube games like the original Wii could. Switch on the other hand, can't do this. It runs on a completely different architecture based off an Nvidia mobile chipset, meaning it's got no way to natively run the GCN, and thus must emulate it (just like the NES, SNES, and N64 are emulated to run on VC). Emulation is far more taxing on a computer than natively running games, and one quick look at the specs required to run Dolphin on PC is all you need to know that the Switch doesn't have that kind of power.

In short, I'm very doubtful we'll see a VC for the Gamecube unless Nintendo creates a brand new highly optimized emulator for it, for the Switch. If that's even enough, considering you need at least an i5 for Dolphin, and the output of the X1 chipset that Switch runs on is far below that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There where GameCube controller ports for both Wii and Wii U, Wii U's by a different extension than the Wii's, but you will get my point ; it's possible.

Not likely in the slightest, but quite a possibility. You may say Nintendo shuns Smash's competitive scene, but it was competitive Smash players who where invited to do the first Smash 4 "tournament" and do general playtesting. It's not much, but for Nintendo it's huge. And even though Smash 4 is still rather defensive, it's not as campy as in Brawl. There's offensive options, and there's a engine that's sort of inbetween Melee's and Brawl's; a thing most "core" Smash Bros. fans asked for.

It would take a whole lot of less effort to recreate two older Smash games than create a new one. Especially if Sakurai is absent and they have to use a new director (which, honestly, am not a huge fan of- I would miss Massive Hero Soccer Guy). Don't forget the fact that Smash 4 was essentially two games. If they really want to top that, I think it would be best to do a port of Smash 4 for the more 'casual' crowd: lots of characters, DLC, stages with gimmicks, all that sort of stuff. And then of course Melee HD, a remake of Melee with a few differences in movesets, a few "new" characters from other installments of Smash (Diddy Kong, ZSS, Meta Knight, Ike, Greninja, you name it).

It seems like easy money to me, and a nice and less risky way to please both casual and core fans. Especially with a new director, it would be a wise decision to play it ultra safe and not take unnessesary risks that might hurt the reputation of Smash Bros. in general. I feel Smash 4 did a lot to please both casual and core fans alike, so why wouldn't they continue this same path?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main issue with transitioning back to Melee is just getting used to its mechanics again. Fighters in Smash 3DS / Wii U don't fall like anchors, and because of that, most of them can pull off long-ranged recoveries. This is especially true for Fox, whose recovery is considerably better than it was in Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's why I don't think that Melee HD would be the only Smash game coming out. They could do another port / remake of Smash 4 and release Melee HD later down the road for the true competitive fans.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's why I don't think that Melee HD would be the only Smash game coming out. They could do another port / remake of Smash 4 and release Melee HD later down the road for the true competitive fans.
It can still end up being a mixed bag though, since Bowser is arguably the worst fighter in Melee, while he excels a lot better in Smash 3DS / Wii U. Likewise, Smash 3DS / Wii U Mewtwo is a lot better than its Melee incarnation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom