• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Oh nice. I usually go and I have friends that work it. Might go try it out since it so close. Odd they are doing it in Daytona this year rather than in Orlando but whatever.
Yeah it's pretty convenient timing and location, and I don't think there will be another opportunity in this area for another 3-4 months or so.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Time for my very safe and worthless final prediction roster for the base game because why not

Empty Roster.png

Chrom - My only extra echo fighter. Popular, but Sakurai doesn't seem to find him unique. Thus, in a very similar boat as Daisy.

Simon Belmont - classic iconic game series. Sakurai likes it. I think the rumour has some credibility. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a dark horse popular demand.

Bandana Dee - popular with the majority of the Kirby fans gunning for him. I think he's likely, but not guaranteed.

Lycanroc - Sakurai will give himself some liberty and add a fighter he finds unique. GameFreak will tell him about Lycanroc and Mimikyu, and I can see him going for a terraformer with rock moves as an unique fighter.

Elma - Mostly due to the toy mech being bought, but also since Xenoblade is filled with potential moves and has grown substantially since Smash 4. Another character seems imminent.

King K. Rool - I kind of doubt that his worldwide popularity matches the results we see online, but if it does...kind of a no brainer for a last reveal/hidden character to me.

Yeah I am boring but eh, nobody gets these right anyway.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
:ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy::ultshulk:

With honorable mentions to :ultsnake: and :ultlink:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
(This is weird because the new icons don't actually load on any of my devices) How do I get access to these chic and stylish icons? I can't seem to see or use them
Yeah, I'm just seeing blank, blank, blank, and more blank.
I can highlight over where their positions are so I know they exist; I just don't see from neither phone nor PC.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you can't see the Smash Ultimate character icons clear your cache.

Anywho.
:ultryu::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultike::ultcloud:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
They literally explained directly after announcing those games that Let's Go! is part of an endeavor to divide the series in two between "hardcore" and casual titles. If they can follow through on their promise Let's Go! might be the best thing to happen to Pokemon as a franchise. It allows GameFreak to address the demands of both casual and hardcore fans separately as opposed to producing more games like Gens VI and VII which, in an attempt to strike a middle ground between the two, left both groups feeling disappointed and like their requests were not addressed.

It has to be accepted that "casual" fans are just as legitimate of an audience and should have their requests addressed as well. And it makes a lot more sense to address their requests in an independent game rather than dealing with the conflicting requests of hardcore fans in one conglomerate game.

And to be honest, I wouldn't consider seeing Team Rocket in Smash as "gen 1 pandering" considering the constant significance of the group to the series. And especially considering that there are really mostly very unconvincing choices for gen VII representatives. I seriously expect there to be no new Pokemon representative in the game on launch, with a gen VIII rep coming in as DLC.
Why does the series need to be divided anyway? There's hardly anything in hardcore Pokemon that affects casual play. Most of the complaints are about handholding and terrible writing, which is never good in any game, casual or not. Like, all I want is a new story, good region to explore and new Pokemon with interesting moves and abilities. Is that too much for casuals? I find that hard to believe.

Let's Go is nothing but riding Go's wave of cash and popularity, the separation of casual/hardcore just feels like an excuse for them to be lazy. They could've easily implement traditional capturing as an option without affecting the Go crowd, they could've gone the extra mile and include the rest of the Pokemon, but all they want is easy cash.

The fact that you can't transfer Go Mew because they're holding Mew as an incentive to buy the Pokeball accessory is downright scummy, but they get a free pass because ???

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You mean "was" and "had." Plenty more Pokemon have been shown to be consistent rivals with Pikachu. Mostly, Raichu even though I'm sure almost no one wants another luigified Pikachu. Meowth pales in comparison when it comes to "rivalry."

Also, I feel we have more than enough Gen 1 in Smash as is with the return of Pokemon Trainer. I'm not actively against Meowth but no one can argue that Gen 1 isn't already extremely prevelent now
For someone who claims isn't actively against Meowth, you sure are acting like it.

After all you did say you would react "venomously" if a new 1st Gen Pokémon got in Smash.

Venomously. I had to sit through enough Gen 1 milking for a lifetime. If I had to chew on them putting more Gen 1 in Smash and ignoring Gen 7 I would be livid.
It seems to me that you see Meowth as an "1st Gen Pokémon" whereas I see Meowth as "the cat Pokémon from the anime".

My first exposure to Pokémon was the anime. I liked it. I talked about it with some friends in high school in the late 90s/early 00s. We loved talking about Team Rocket and how funny they were. Meowth quickly became my favorite Pokémon because of the anime. I don't care if it is weak in the Pokémon games or in the anime. I just liked the Pokémon itself. I love cats (I have 8) so I am biased towards Meowth. I like that Meowth is a talking cat Pokémon. I like that Meowth is a wisecrack.

I didn't even get Meowth in the games until LeafGreen -- my first Pokémon game was Gold but it didn't have Meowth in it like I thought (I picked Gold because I like gold and I like how Ho-Oh looks). My boyfriend knows I am a fan of Meowth. I made it no secret. He got me a Meowth plush and an Alolan Meowth in a Great Ball toy. He even got me a couple Meowth from Wonder Trade. I was so excited to finally get Meowth in that Magikarp Jump game. My boyfriend asked me if Meowth was in Pokken DX (I bought it 2 days ago) and I said no. I bought it because Decidueye is in it and I wanted to play as Decidueye in a fighting game since it's looking unlikely he would be playable in Smash.

I don't care if Meowth is an 1st Gen Pokémon. I don't care if Meowth is a Normal-type Pokémon. I don't care if Meowth is just a plain old cat. I like Meowth because it is Meowth. That's why I am a staunch supporter of Meowth being playable in Smash since pre-Melee. I will always be on Meowth's side.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
TBH, I am loving how SSBU is being shown off. I love how they shown off every veteran and didn't add any as DLC because one of my least fave things about SSB4 is the amount of veterans that were announced as DLC. but without this being an SSB4 rant I'll actually speak about how I feel about Smash Ultimate.

It makes me glad that if they ever do add DLC (which is very possible), they would ALL have to be newcomers as there are no leftover veterans to add as DLC.

As for Ideas, none of my character ideas are super likely but I'd like to see Birdo, Micaiah and Lightning (even though I don't anticipate a second Final Fantasy character). As for modes, I really want Smash Run (forget Smash Tour, it felt out of place) because it was such a fun mode especially because it had a lot of enemies from different series. If they don't do Smash Run then do a Melee styled adventure mode with levels like Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule's Underground Maze

Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

Go at it
For this, I'd pick Link, Pichu, Snake, Ike and Bowser
:ultlink::ultpichu::ultsnake::ultike::ultbowser:

~ Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
(This is weird because the new icons don't actually load on any of my devices) How do I get access to these chic and stylish icons? I can't seem to see or use them
Try refreshing your browser to see if that helps. You might have to do Ctrl + F5.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Go at it
:ulticeclimbers::ultlucina::ultzss::ultpokemontrainer::ultdaisy:

That was actually sorta difficult for me. I was having a hard time choosing between between Ness and Daisy, but these are my five.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Lycanroc - Sakurai will give himself some liberty and add a fighter he finds unique. GameFreak will tell him about Lycanroc and Mimikyu, and I can see him going for a terraformer with rock moves as an unique fighter.
I just wanted to point this out because someone else did since it was the Decideueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc rating day.

Most people assume the project plan was finalized Summer 2016, before Sun and Moon released. This probably means Sakurai made some of his decision off the Pokemon concept arts.

Now look at Lycanroc's
DPvPDEQX0AAzC2S.jpg

His Day version is literally the same but recolored. You honestly get nothing out of this except he's a wolf. No real characterization, can't even really tell it's a rock type.

Now look at the characterization of these three.
410.jpg
54f.jpg
2be.jpg

It's just something interesting to think about. And I'm a little biased because I don't think there is anything unique about Lycanroc's design.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
My 5 (so far...)
:ultridley::ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultmewtwo::ultdk: Are characters I will likely main (Mostly Ridley, but I'll play the others unless some of them feel really bad)
Others I like: :ultgnw::ultrob::ultkingdedede::ultjigglypuff::ultmetaknight::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultsnake: (Might pick up some of these guys if they feel good or my primary 5 feel bad)

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, and the rights to Superboy are even more complicated, so I thought it was along those lines. I don't trust Smashboards as a source (love you all, but you spread misinformation FAST), so that's why I went for independent confirmation. This article was the only one I found so far that had anything attributable to any of the parties. The GCC people claim that they were in arbitration with Namco, and they initiated the legal proceedings for their own benefit as creators, which is quite different from Namco pursuing legal action against Midway.
I never intended to spread any misinformation and I always welcome being proven wrong. It has been a very long time since I read up about this and it does seem a lot of new evidence has come to light that alters the story to a great degree. My apologies for not refreshing myself on what has come to light.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Fine replace Lycanroc with Mimikyu you bully

Have my lunch money while you're at it

:dazwa:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Go at it
Sounds fun! Let's see...

:ultduckhunt: obviously
:ultzelda: I always liked Zelda in Melee... though I didn't play as much in Brawl or SSB4... but I love the new design based on ALTTP/ALBW!!!
:ultganondorf: could Melee Ganondorf finally come back?!
:ultrob: I always enjoyed playing as the NES Robot
:ultness::ultlucas: I use them interchangeably and they are so much fun to play with

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Can I just say how much I love the Smash Ultimate stock icons?

:ultinkling::ultmario::ultshulk::ultzelda:

Like, damn. These are clean as hell. I've always loved the minimalist style.

Everyone about Smash Ultimate's UI is amazing, honestly.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yea Lycanroc looks far more stale compared to the other possible Pokemon reps. I don't even want any of the likely Pokemon reps. I'm gen 3 all the way, and I'm not getting that lol.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Fine replace Lycanroc with Mimikyu you bully

Have my lunch money while you're at it

:dazwa:
It's not worth fighting over Pokemon Reps at this point in time:
There's the possibility that:
-No new pokemon reps due to squirtle/Ivy/Pichu
-Decidueye is chosen
-Lycanroc is chosen
-Mimikyu is chosen

I think all of these options are possible, but personally I think I wouldn't enjoy Lycanroc as much compared to the other 2 options (which I probably would enjoy by comparison), although I think it has potential as a fighter it's just not my personal preference. I personally think Mimikyu is probably the most likely but it's really hard to say for sure, as what we think is likely doesn't really matter unless it's really obvious said gen 7 pokemon wont be playables.

Last edited:
Can I just say how much I love the Smash Ultimate stock icons?

:ultinkling::ultmario::ultshulk::ultzelda:

Like, damn. These are clean as hell. I've always loved the minimalist style.

Everyone about Smash Ultimate's UI is amazing, honestly.
You have no idea how glad I am that they made fancy new stock icons instead of just the character.. These stock icons are godlike. So clean. . .definitely not biased with my avatar here.
:061:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just wanted to point this out because someone else did since it was the Decideueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc rating day.

Most people assume the project plan was finalized Summer 2016, before Sun and Moon released. This probably means Sakurai made some of his decision off the Pokemon concept arts.

Now look at Lycanroc's
View attachment 149016
His Day version is literally the same but recolored. You honestly get nothing out of this except he's a wolf. No real characterization, can't even really tell it's a rock type.

Now look at the characterization of these three.
View attachment 149017View attachment 149018View attachment 149019
It's just something interesting to think about. And I'm a little biased because I don't think there is anything unique about Lycanroc's design.
Wasn’t it discussed before? The reason why Sakurai used concept art for Greninja was because the Pokémon X and Y was a year away from release, so all Sakurai had was to use the concept art given to him, and he probably recieved even more information from the devs at Game Freak, since the concept art alone wasn’t enough information to make a fighter. Gen 7 however, was mostly done when Smash 5 began, so Sakurai probably used more detailed information from the devs to decide at this point and to see which Pokémon was big.

Either way, I don’t think Dusk will get in, nevermind wanting it.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm honestly fine with any Pokemon getting in. Gimme Decidueye, Lycanroc or Mimikyu, I'd take any of them.
^This
All of them have pretty interesting features and would make for neat fighters, just Lycanroc isn't something I would personally play.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Pokemon has endless options for newcomers. It'd just be hard for me to get excited for any outside of a select few. I'm more excited over Pichu returning than getting a Gen 7 Pokemon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wasn’t it discussed before? The reason why Sakurai used concept art for Greninja was because the Pokémon X and Y was a year away from release, so all Sakurai had was to use the concept art given to him, and he probably recieved even more information from the devs at Game Freak, since the concept art alone wasn’t enough information to make a fighter. Gen 7 however, was mostly done when Smash 5 began, so Sakurai probably used more detailed information from the devs to decide at this point and to see which Pokémon was big.

Either way, I don’t think Dusk will get in, nevermind wanting it.
Totally legitimate question, but what would that more detailed information even be? In game models? It's not like they do much in game.

Most Pokemon characterization comes from the anime and as far as I remmeber the anime came out after the game. I just don't know what else the Pokemon Company would show him that would intrest him in Lycanroc over the other choices.

But yea I'm not attacking you for it I understand you're not defending Lycanroc necessarily. For all we know Sakurai decided on a Pokemon newcomer much later and was able to look at things like the anime. I guess I just get a little triggered when I hear Lycanroc has an unique design XD

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like if it comes down to a Gen 7 rep, it has to be between a starter (Either Deciduete or Incenaroar), or Mimikyu.

The two formers are obvious picks since they're starters, and unlike Primarina, wouldn't be too much of a hassle to work with since they're bipedal.

Mimikyu on the other hand, is veeeeeeery popular, was pushed a ton in marketing, and even got its own exclusive Z-Move like the former two, and is a major 'threat' in the anime.

That, and having 3 Pikachus alongside 3 Links would be humorous.

Besides, if Megaman and Mario had to die, then it's only fair that Mimikyu kills off Pikachu in a trailer.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's here.

Today's Fighter
#01: Mario
Mario is an all-around fighter who uses his wide variety of techniques to respond to any situation. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he shows up in his Wedding tux and his Builder outfit, and Cappy even makes an appearance!

I can't believe Mario is in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom