• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
In each of you guys' opinion how likely, on a scale of 1-100, is an Arms character and an Inkling.

I'd say 100 for Inkling and like a good 60 for an Arms character just because that's a relatively fresh IP while Splatoon has been around for a bit longer.
I'm not gonna add fairly arbitrary numbers, but:

Inkling: Most likely newcomer. Only character I expect more is Ice Climbers because they were already working on Wii U.

ARMS character: Reasonably decent chances but I wouldn't be surprised whatever happens with them. It's not Splatoon but it seems Nintendo cares about it more than other recent new franchises (Remember Dillon?)

- - - - -

Personally I'd love to see more DK and Metroid - K Rool / Dixie and Sylux being the plausible choices in either case. I'd also love to see some of the veterans touched up. I'm not gonna go on a Ganondorf rant (that's already been done) but a few changes I'd like to see (without going into balance discussions):

:4bowser:: Replace his fire breath with fire ball projectiles, or let him choose between them based on tapping/holding the special button.
:4dk:: Replace his Up Special with one where he shoots out of a barrel.
:4wario:: Bring back the old Side Smash from Wario Land.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Celica can also be added in as a quick Robin clone. Take out the tomes and throw in self-damaging spells, remove the Levin Sword, switch up the FS and other minor animations and voila~ a character with a unique mechanic with little fuss. I'd like her to be more unique, but I'll take what I can get.
See this is what I also said. She would work as a glass canon version of Robin. Lighter, but faster, and more agile in the air. Damaging Magic attacks loosely based on Robin's Magic.

Then again, same could apply for Alm. He could be a faster Ike semi-clone. I think Ike's fighting style resembles Alm's fighting style moreso than Marth's. And there already are enough Marth (semi)clones running around. What I also think is that Lucina, Chrom and Alm could share a slot, as their fighting styles are similar enough.

Alm is probably in the same boat as Chrom was however. And it's a shame honestly. I do hope they follow up with the remakes of older games, but up till now, VoC is easily my favorite 3DS game.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Veteran changes? I have some minor ones, mainly just to give these characters more options:

:4bowser:: I love playing him so much, but I'd add the aforementioned fireball ability by tapping, and keeping the fire breath by holding the Special button. These would be smaller multi-hit fireballs that'd travel slowly in a straight line (essentially, it's like a smaller, weaker Red Hadoken), and give Bowser a tool in both offensive (the slow speed and multi-hit makes it easier for Bowser to chase after) and defensive (it's still a projectile useful for creating space) situations.

:4mewtwo:: Let him act out of Teleport. Compared to other characters like Zelda, Sheik or Meta Knight, who all have offensive options in their teleports, Mewtwo's is simply a way to retreat. Instead of putting him into a freefall state, I suggest something similar to Sonic / Mega Man, where they're able to perform aerials, but not Special moves. This makes Teleport less of a standard recovery and more of a movement tool, allowing him to follow-up to his own attacks in ways he previously couldn't before. This could allow for some crazy, DBZ-style instant transmission chains or combos that would help add to the "glass cannon" archetype Mewtwo fills.

:4samus:: A new up-tilt (or maybe Up Smash? IDK, I might go further into redesigning Samus after I play some more Metroid) in the form of the parry attack from Samus Returns. This attack has low knockback / damage, but some light super armor and low endlag that allows Samus to use this to tank through some attacks and potentially follow up with her own attack. This gives Samus an actual combo-starter in her kit, instead of the weird axe kick she's used since 64.

:4falco:: First off, change how his Reflector works. I can understand why a disjoint reflector could be useful, however, I think it should be delegated to an extra command than just being his default Down Special. The Reflector would stay in place when used, much like it did in Melee (including the upwards knockback) and, when the standard attack is pressed during the Reflector move, Falco kicks it out and ends the move, allowing him to move freely before the Reflector returns (like Link's boomerang). This gives him yet another unique defensive option, allowing him to retreat instead of leaving him quite as vulnerable. I'd also change Fire Bird into Thunder Bird, to further differentiate him from Fox, but mainly because of the Stealth Pun in that name.

I might go further into re-designing Samus and Zelda one day, but who knows?

Luminario

Smash Lord
See this is what I also said. She would work as a glass canon version of Robin. Lighter, but faster, and more agile in the air. Damaging Magic attacks loosely based on Robin's Magic.

Then again, same could apply for Alm. He could be a faster Ike semi-clone. I think Ike's fighting style resembles Alm's fighting style moreso than Marth's. And there already are enough Marth (semi)clones running around. What I also think is that Lucina, Chrom and Alm could share a slot, as their fighting styles are similar enough.

Alm is probably in the same boat as Chrom was however. And it's a shame honestly. I do hope they follow up with the remakes of older games, but up till now, VoC is easily my favorite 3DS game.
Indeed, the problem with Alm is that he just doesn't have enough variety in his concept to be different enough from the others. Celica's so easy, you just give her self-damaging spells and bam shes unique, but with Alm even if you give him the bow he just doesn't get enough from that to warrant the work of being added.

:4mewtwo:: Let him act out of Teleport. Compared to other characters like Zelda, Sheik or Meta Knight, who all have offensive options in their teleports, Mewtwo's is simply a way to retreat. Instead of putting him into a freefall state, I suggest something similar to Sonic / Mega Man, where they're able to perform aerials, but not Special moves. This makes Teleport less of a standard recovery and more of a movement tool, allowing him to follow-up to his own attacks in ways he previously couldn't before. This could allow for some crazy, DBZ-style instant transmission chains or combos that would help add to the "glass cannon" archetype Mewtwo fills.
I like all your ideas there, but this one especially is one I'd love to see.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually am fine with Mewtwo the way he is. Take notes: after the buffs. I wouldn't change him much.

Samus needs a lot of work. And so does Kirby and Yoshi.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
I can already see the salt if another anime sword fighter gets in..... but it's as enevetable as brexit was.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Hey, n-now there's a speculation for SSB for Switch...!

I-i don't want to be a t-troll, but about the SEGA n-newcomer, if it had to come, I-i guess it could be T-tails.
And... oh yeah, I r-remember! There were s-some videos about the speculation t-too, but t-there is one video that i-intruged me. Due to privacy issues that I have, I c-can't post it. Though I want to give y-you a little spoiler...

I don't k-know if the source is r-reliable, I heard it from o-one of my friends. He says that h-he, for some reasons unknown, k-knows that someone is planning to start a Kickstarter. In fact, to allows N-nintendo to license a SSB anime of around 52 episodes. T-that someone who started it feels like there could be a g-good chance, p-provided that the timeline i-is in 3DS/Wii U, or provided that i-it follows the storyline (if there is) of the new SSB g-game.

I just heard it from my friend, s-so it's pretty unreliable. T-this is just a rumor, because several others has tried s-starting up a Kickstarter of the same thing, b-but failed in the end. So sorry if it's not t-true...

However, some peoples said that they'd l-like, or f-feels that SSB may become more popular if t-there was a anime about it. S-so, I wanted to post it, b-but I didn't want to break y-your hopes if it was false...

I'm stuttering, because a-again, it's from my friend. H-he's into datamining, but some of his information a-are pretty unreliable (He fooled me i-into thinking that Shovel Knight w-was in SSB4...). I-i could have posted it somewhere, but I f-felt like that this information (I-i'd say that SSB5 timeline is l-likely) could intruige you...

I'm e-embarassed about h-how will it turn out... :urg: L-last time someone posted a information, he was considered a t-troll... maybe it was in early days of SSB4...

I'll b-be going offline for now. I-i have a headache right now trying to think w-when will SSB get a a-anime... Of course, t-there is a certain someone who made a SSB animation, and i-it's in Youtube... b-but unfortunately h-he's in college. Last time, I-i heard that he made a preview about the SSB intro and ending animation... about 50 seconds, I think...

L-like I said, I have a big h-headache right now, so I'm going to sleep. If it was f-false leak, then I would apologize, again...

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
For veteran changes, I think some of the vets could benefit from a rework.
I think :4jigglypuff:would benefit from this, but only in the special moves department.

I say I would move Sing into a neutral special and give Jigglypuff a new Up Special. I would give her, Dazzling Gleam, as her new Up Special. Functionally, it would work similar to Wario's Corkscrew, but at the maximum height would give off a small blast of Fairy light to help prevent some of much easy footstool K.O's that plagues Jigglypuff after all of her jumps are gone.

On :4samus:, I am fine with her, minus that the projectile game needs to be a little more threatening.

I personally think :4sonic:for the subjective sake of a better fun factor would benefit from a rework. I would say change out his spin dashing side special into a custom move and place something new like a small wind projectile for a side special, calling it Sonic Wind. Also, I would bring in the Insta-Shield from Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a neutral air.

For:4yoshi:, I'd make his Egg Laying neutral special into his side special and give Egg Toss as a new neutral special with some good aiming. The new up special would be an aerial tackle while inside an egg that functions just like in Yoshi's Story.

Luminario

Smash Lord
As someone who plays Zelda and Palu a lot, I've talked MANY times about veteran changes so I won't go into it again.

I will say that I'd like many more dynamic taunts and win animations, or win animations that clearly reference the characters backgrounds and series like Mario jumping into a block to grab a coin from it, or Zelda doing anything that isn't so static.

Hey, n-now there's a speculation for SSB for Switch...!

I-i don't want to be a t-troll, but about the SEGA n-newcomer, if it had to come, I-i guess it could be T-tails.
And... oh yeah, I r-remember! There were s-some videos about the speculation t-too, but t-there is one video that i-intruged me. Due to privacy issues that I have, I c-can't post it. Though I want to give y-you a little spoiler...

I don't k-know if the source is r-reliable, I heard it from o-one of my friends. He says that h-he, for some reasons unknown, k-knows that someone is planning to start a Kickstarter. In fact, to allows N-nintendo to license a SSB anime of around 52 episodes. T-that someone who started it feels like there could be a g-good chance, p-provided that the timeline i-is in 3DS/Wii U, or provided that i-it follows the storyline (if there is) of the new SSB g-game.

I just heard it from my friend, s-so it's pretty unreliable. T-this is just a rumor, because several others has tried s-starting up a Kickstarter of the same thing, b-but failed in the end. So sorry if it's not t-true...

However, some peoples said that they'd l-like, or f-feels that SSB may become more popular if t-there was a anime about it. S-so, I wanted to post it, b-but I didn't want to break y-your hopes if it was false...

I'm stuttering, because a-again, it's from my friend. H-he's into datamining, but some of his information a-are pretty unreliable (He fooled me i-into thinking that Shovel Knight w-was in SSB4...). I-i could have posted it somewhere, but I f-felt like that this information (I-i'd say that SSB5 timeline is l-likely) could intruige you...

I'm e-embarassed about h-how will it turn out... :urg: L-last time someone posted a information, he was considered a t-troll... maybe it was in early days of SSB4...

I'll b-be going offline for now. I-i have a headache right now trying to think w-when will SSB get a a-anime... Of course, t-there is a certain someone who made a SSB animation, and i-it's in Youtube... b-but unfortunately h-he's in college. Last time, I-i heard that he made a preview about the SSB intro and ending animation... about 50 seconds, I think...

L-like I said, I have a big h-headache right now, so I'm going to sleep. If it was f-false leak, then I would apologize, again...
Any particular reason you're typing it out like that? It makes it much harder to read.
I have a whole lotta doubts surrounding a SBB anime, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the characters interact outside of fighting.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
In each of you guys' opinion how likely, on a scale of 1-100, is an Arms character and an Inkling.

I'd say 100 for Inkling and like a good 60 for an Arms character just because that's a relatively fresh IP while Splatoon has been around for a bit longer.
Alright, here's my take:

Inkling: 90

They're in about as prime position as you can get: hugely relevant upstarts with interesting moveset potential who've proven now that they have staying power. The only thing I could see stopping them is if the team behind whatever is in the works decides they can't portray them the way they want, or only looks at characters who were considered but missed out on Smash 4's base roster, or something else unusual.

And now the controversial part.

ARMS Character: 35

There's a real common narrative that the team would want to put in someone to "promote" the new IP...but how often have we actually seen that done? As it turns out, Sakurai and crew have a history of waiting when it comes to characters from brand new franchises, and it's something we've seen with Splatoon, Wii Fit, and Pikmin in past Smash games. Keep in mind, the character selection process happens very early in development, often before these games were even announced, much less released. It seems Sakurai prefers not to jump the gun with a brand new IP when he doesn't even know how well it'll do or if it'll just be a flash in the pan! And considering if there's a Smash game in the works, they probably had their newcomer picks figured out at least half a year ago if not earlier, ARMS would've been an unknown.

This is not a knock against Spring Man or anyone else as a character. I just think the timing of it all means the Smash team probably decided to wait.

Didn't Greninja debunk the possible "release date" counterargument that pops up every once in a while?
The difference? Greninja--and Corrin--were both from well-established franchises, one a pillar of Nintendo, the other recently risen to prominence. For whatever reason, it's specifically characters from brand new IPs that the Smash team hesitates on.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Celica would've been real interessting if it wasn't for Robin already being there. :4robinm::4robinf:

The concept of VoC-styled magic system is cool. But I doubt it would be anything more than a semi-clone based potential of Robin. The exact animations of the sword would be what would make Celica mostly different. Guess Up B and Down B need something else too, but nothing drastically.

If that's the case, might as bring in Alm. At least, that's what I think.
Um... no?
Use of magic and swordplay does not make a clone. Robin only utilizes tomes for their specials and jab 3. Celica can still be very different from Robin based on that factor alone. Even then, the thing that makes Robin a unique fighter isn't the mix of magic and swords, it's the inventory system presented through their tomes and levin sword.

Celica would definitely be trading off the inventory for a self-harm mechanic, like I mentioned earlier, but because she's hurting herself by doing the magic it allows potential for giving her several moves akin to Roy's Flare Blade and Ike's Eruption. Trading her own % to throw out higher damage magic spells. Though, obviously not all of these spells should be as strong those ones.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'd Say 100% for Inkling, and 51% for an ARMS character. I think it could go either way, but slightly more in the favor of getting in.

Also on the topic of Veteran Changes...

:4peach:: One of Her Specials (Neutral if Toad gets in, Side if Not) should be changed to Gloom from Super Princess Peach. It'd release tear waterfalls on both sides for, doing minor damage and pushing opponents far. Could be good at keeping foes off the ledge.

:4darkpit:: Give him Pit's old specials from Brawl.

:4lucas:: Reduce Endlag on a Grounded PK Thunder. If it was quickened, it could be more effective as a combo starter.

:4link:: Change his Down-B to Remote Bomb. The first press will have him create it and hold it, able to put it down. The second press detonates it.

:4villager:: Have Bayo's Bullets not go through the tree. And have him able to Pocket Lumas and use them because I like to see the world burn.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Inkling is 100, let's not kid ourselves

Anyone who says ARMS is less than 70 is kidding themselves (though your 60 is better than a lot of odds I'm seeing). You have a no IP from Nintendo which has done well (sold more than 1 mil) and the characters have a unique gimmick (extendable arms). Plus there is enough demand for them. So I don't see how it wont happen.

"But..but it's just TOO SOON."

We haven't seen any indication that there is a new Smash in development now. The earliest we'll see one is 2018 which would still be six months after ARMS released at the earliest. People point to Splatoon and Pikmin as examples, but for get these games were in development when Smash released. Pikmin launched around the same time as Melee and Splatoon launched while the DLC was being developed and was likely already decided on by that point. We're talking about six months at a minimum.

90 for Spring Man.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll ask this one more time. Chances of Snake's return in your opinion?

I'll be honest, it's not looking good. However, as I've said a billion times Bomberman is looking more and more likely as we go so maybe if Bomberman joins in they'll bring Snake alongside him. What do you guys think? I miss the **** outta him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
T-the stutter typing was because I'm shy...

About Snake, y-yeah, I do miss him and h-his viol-- erm, his playbility...
There's literally no relevant reason to stutter through text in a forum post.

D

Deleted member

I'll be honest, it's not looking good. However, as I've said a billion times Bomberman is looking more and more likely as we go so maybe if Bomberman joins in they'll bring Snake alongside him. What do you guys think? I miss the **** outta him.
One thing I'm gotta say is, if Konami gets involved in Smash in any form, I think Snake will be very highly considered at best.

Because let's not forget Nintendo still owns his coding from Brawl, and thus it would cost less time (and money?) to remake it in a new Smash.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman

I think it's hard to say in his case especially because we don't really know if Kojima leaving Konami was a factor to exclude Snake from Smash or if there were other reasons. Still, I think his chances are better than the chances of any other 3rd party rep except for a Ubisoft rep. Which means I expect him to be back next time to be exact. Bomberman is pretty likely now too due to his new Switch game but I think they'd still choose Snake over him. But again, I think it's hard to guess.

D

Deleted member

I personally am very pessimistic about Snake's return.

Shame, because I'd like him back.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon

I don't think there's zero chance of Snake returning, but I'd say it's unlikely. He wasn't brought back in Smash 4 (which makes me think Sakurai saw Kojima's request as a one-time thing, if I'm remembering things correctly), so I'm not convinced that he's likely to be in the next Smash.

Bomberman comes across as the more appropriate Konami rep at this point, of course. I think having both him and Snake in Smash would be great (not to mention 2 third-party reps is no longer unprecedented at this point), but like you said, I'm guessing we'd have to get Bomberman before we get Snake back, if at all. It could be possible, seeing that Super Bomberman R sold pretty well, according to Konami.

D

Deleted member

My main veteran changes would involve Final Smashes.

For example, instead of the Mario Finale, :4mario:would receive a transformation-based Final Smash, most likely him possessing a T-Rex from Super Mario Odyssey, and that :4dedede:would have the Spinning Burning Hammer move he uses as Masked Dedede.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
T-the stutter typing was because I'm shy...

About Snake, y-yeah, I do miss him and h-his viol-- erm, his playbility...

I love this guy isntly leave him all me god dammit his stutters are about as unique Arlo is unique on YouTube.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I'm sure you can guess my opinion, but it's low. A lot of people have said it better already so I wont go too much into the specifics.

One thing I do want to note is that fans put too much emphasis on guest character, and I think there will be an inevitable scaling back. Adding a lot of guest characters makes it difficult to re-release the game again. You'd have to get the licensing again for all the characters. This is one reason you don't have a Switch port of Smash 4 (among others). Nintendo has to get the rights from 5 other companies and it would just be better to make a new game.

Nintendo is going to be looking to re-release a lot of their games and I'm sure the Wii is high on their radar. The problem with bringing Brawl back is that Nintendo has to get the rights to Snake again. If they can't, the game wont come out. The Wii was part of the Wii U's Virtual Console, but Brawl was never released on it. This is despite many other major Wii games, including Galaxy, Metroid Prime, and Skyward Sword, being released on the system. It's not a Smash thing either as Smash 64 has been re-released. There may still be guest characters, but it will be a concern going forward. It's just something I don't think anyone is considering.

To bring everything back together, I don't think they'd get the rights to Snake for a new game. If they try to get the rights, it will be to re-release Brawl.

SEGA performed about as well as I expected.
I wanted to have this poll last a little longer, but ill never have a better time to go for Ubisoft characters than a Mario crossover.

Rayman? A Rabbid? Jade? Ezio? Who knows. It's up for you to decide the reality.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do feel people are underestimating Snake's return.

He has the raw potential to surpass Mewtwo in popularity.

That kind of blows my mind but its true.

Staarih

Smash Master
With the closer bond Ubisoft has with Nintendo these days (Mario + Rabbids is just one example) I wouldn't count out a Ubisoft rep. Would probably be Rayman, the mascot of the company, but I see some Rabbid-aspects thrown in as well (to some peoples' dislike), be it just a crazy Final Smash or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see Rabbid and Rayman on a near similar level of chances at this point. Likely. Fact of the matter is, both are major right now as well as rather iconic. Hard to say which is more likely due to this factor.

As for Snake, if we knew exactly why he didn't make it in, we could predict his chances a bit better. There's too many unknown variables. I don't think he's super unlikely, but it's too hard to figure out with little information.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'd say a Ubisoft rep is rather likely at this point. I've grown quite fond of the Rabbids after seeing them in Mario+Rabbids, and I really didn't expect to like them or the game as much as I do (lets be honest here though, playable Peach is the reason I paid attention to the game) so having the Rabbids in Smash wouldn't actually be that bad, so long as Peach Rabbid is there. I'd say Rayman and the Rabbids are tied for a spot at the moment, but the more Rabbids get exposure over Rayman the more it tips in their favour.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
You'd have to get the licensing again for all the characters. This is one reason you don't have a Switch port of Smash 4 (among others). Nintendo has to get the rights from 5 other companies and it would just be better to make a new game.
I don't think that's a problem especially for re-releasing a previous game. As Nintendo doesn't change anything major in re-releases or VC releases, licensing contracts are probably the same as in the previous release. Second, if anything then it's Nintendo's fault and not Konami's because I can't imagine a company refusing to get a guest appearance in a game as big as Smash is.

But as we don't know what happened and how it exactly works, this is just useless speculation. I'm still very confident about his return in a new game.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Rayman as a fighter, Rabbids as an Assist Trophy. That's the way I see it going down.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bomberman and Scorpion feel like missing third party characters. I think they have a good shot at swooping in.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Personally, I don't think there's any clear cut 3rd party characters to be added in, and it doesn't really feel like we're missing any, besides maybe Snake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayman in though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't think there's any clear cut 3rd party characters to be added in, and it doesn't really feel like we're missing any, besides maybe Snake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayman in though.
Well, you have a point that Snake also feels like he is missing, because literally he is missing.

Bomberman and Scorpion have been around for a very long time, have been influential and both are known throughout generations (even communities that do not often or ever play video games). I would not place Rayman in the same category, but I would not be overly shocked if he made the cut.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think having both him and Snake in Smash would be great (not to mention 2 third-party reps is no longer unprecedented at this point), but like you said, I'm guessing we'd have to get Bomberman before we get Snake back, if at all. It could be possible, seeing that Super Bomberman R sold pretty well, according to Konami.
Just to clear up I wasn't saying we'd HAVE to get Bomberman back to get Snake. I was saying that IF we got Bomberman I doubt they'd just leave Snake out, I'd figure they'd get both of them. I still think there's more than enough of a possibility for Snake to come back on his own. He's hugely popular and he's a unique veteran. I just think Bomberman could do nothing but help his chances.
One thing I do want to note is that fans put too much emphasis on guest character, and I think there will be an inevitable scaling back. Adding a lot of guest characters makes it difficult to re-release the game again. You'd have to get the licensing again for all the characters. This is one reason you don't have a Switch port of Smash 4 (among others). Nintendo has to get the rights from 5 other companies and it would just be better to make a new game.

Nintendo is going to be looking to re-release a lot of their games and I'm sure the Wii is high on their radar. The problem with bringing Brawl back is that Nintendo has to get the rights to Snake again. If they can't, the game wont come out. The Wii was part of the Wii U's Virtual Console, but Brawl was never released on it. This is despite many other major Wii games, including Galaxy, Metroid Prime, and Skyward Sword, being released on the system. It's not a Smash thing either as Smash 64 has been re-released. There may still be guest characters, but it will be a concern going forward. It's just something I don't think anyone is considering.

To bring everything back together, I don't think they'd get the rights to Snake for a new game. If they try to get the rights, it will be to re-release Brawl.
I don't think Nintendo licenses characters like that. It'd be different if it were like Marvel vs. Capcom where the whole brand was licensed and it was something as big as Marvel.

I think Nintendo licenses per game. Meaning the license lasts ONLY for that game. It can be redistributed and rereleased at will but it has to be that same game. It can't be an upgraded port I don't think. That has to be the case because Nintendo is still distributing new copies to stores. I worked stocking at Wal-Mart last year and at one point we got a huge box filled with new copies of Mario Party 8 and Brawl.

Your point still makes sense that they couldn't get Snake back for Wii U but I doubt licensing is the reason Brawl wasn't rereleased. If what you said were the case Wii U would never see the light of day again what with the Rayman trophies, Commander Video, etc.
I do feel people are underestimating Snake's return.

He has the raw potential to surpass Mewtwo in popularity.

That kind of blows my mind but its true.
This and him being a veteran is about all he's got going for him. Same as Mewtwo. He has Konami going against him though. Then again we've heard The Pokemon Company is a pain in the ass to work with too. Maybe they're in the same boat, I dunno.
Bomberman and Scorpion feel like missing third party characters. I think they have a good shot at swooping in.
Bomberman I'd say more than Scorpion because Scorpion is just a weird character. He's Western, he's hyper violent, and he's been absent from Nintendo consoles the last couple years. He does have Boon wanting him in going for him though.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Bomberman I'd say more than Scorpion because Scorpion is just a weird character. He's Western, he's hyper violent, and he's been absent from Nintendo consoles the last couple years. He does have Boon wanting him in going for him though.
While I largely agree with you in principle, Scorpion would be so easy to implement in a safe way.

The worry would simply be in the association, not in any difficulty implementing him in a way that doesn't affect age ratings. Just take out blood, X-Ray specials and fatalities and he's pretty much good to go.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Even if Scorpion is Western property, the character is known worldwide. He represents a part of video game history.

People use to dream about video game characters fighting each other before Smash. Now many of those characters in those dreams have been featured. Bomberman and Scorpion are the missing ones from my younger day pixel fantasies.

Last edited:

Pixlemaster

Smash Rookie
I don't think they'll add Sccorpion because he's associated with mortal combat, a rated M game that is gory as heck. But bayonetta got in so I guess it's a possibility, but not as likely as say, the inklings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom