• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Please say I'm not the only person with the new theme stuck in their head. And I'm not complaining, it is godly.
It’s better than Brawl and Smash 4, it’s so good.

Shadow with Sonic is okay, but...

Why Chrom for Ike? Something similar with them?
Who's Isabelle?

I'm thinking about one thing....

MEGAMAN'S ECHO FIGHTER IS BECK FROM MIGHTY NO. 9 :

What do you think about this?
No.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So after rewatching the Ridley trailer, I think I have a theory on how they got Link to be instantly KOed after being hit by Ridley's down b.

I'm thinking that maybe in Smash Ultimate, in stamina mode, rather than the dead, lifeless bodies of players being left behind when they run out of stamina, they just get KOed on the spot instead. If this is true, this could also open up the possibility of Stock Stamina matches, which would be cool.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Who's Isabelle?

Now I couldn't help but think of Magical Doropie/Krion Conquest instead:

Just for fun though. I wonder about Mighty No.9, due how poor his reception's been since his official game debut.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
BARELY lost round 2, Ganon is terrifying now, good lord.

Gonna try and jump in for MORE though!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

People want Chrom but Sakurai said he’s too similar to Ike and Marth, so including him as an echo fighter would work out pretty well.
He does wield the same blade as Lucina, but has a body build that is closer to Ike’s, plus Marth already has an echo fighter AND a semi-clone.

Who's Isabelle?
She’s this yellow dog character from Animal Crossing. I’d post a pic but I don’t have one.
She’s kinda the most-advertised and prominent Animal Crossing character at the moment. She was put in Mario Kart 8 alongside Villager, and was an assist in Smash 4, along with being center-stage is most pieces of Animal Crossing merch and promotions nowadays. As I said, her assist trophy seems to be missing this time around.

You seem really excited about this, and I don’t want to burst your bubble, but I don’t see it happening at all.

1. Copyright - They’d have to go to a whole separate company to get the rights for the character, and give them whatever royalties they want, just to put him in as a clone of a character owned by another company. They’d probably had to get Capcom’s permission for this too, just to be safe. Seems like a lot of hassle for something not really worth it.

2. Reception - Mighty No 9’s reception was...lukewarm to put it lightly. It didn’t receive a lot of praise, and got far more criticism. I honestly think more people would dislike his inclusion than like it.

3. Abilities - He runs, guns, and steals his enemies’ powers like Megaman, and their games are pretty damn similar, but that’s not a lot for Smash. Remember, echo characters have to have the same move sets working in slightly different ways. Beck wouldn’t have ANY of Megaman’s moves except for his jab which is just firing a pellet. Beck wouldn’t have access to Rush, or the powers stolen from any of the robot masters, which make up nearly the entirety of Megaman’s moves. He’d be as similar to Megaman in moveset as Samus is, the only similarity would be that they have arm guns.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So after rewatching the Ridley trailer, I think I have a theory on how they got Link to be instantly KOed after being hit by Ridley's down b.

I'm thinking that maybe in Smash Ultimate, in stamina mode, rather than the dead, lifeless bodies of players being left behind when they run out of stamina, they just get KOed on the spot instead. If this is true, this could also open up the possibility of Stock Stamina matches, which would be cool.
Those were a thing in PM, and they were a lot of fun. Also Darkstalkers 3 is a classic HP-based fighter that uses stocks. I think it's a great format for fighters that should be explored more often, as it keeps the action going. Rounds reset things back to neutral, and there's a lot of wait-time in between. Not only that, but resources like meter don't always carry over. HP/Stamina+Stocks is God Tier. If only Smash let you set how much Stamina you play with. It would open a lot of doors imo.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok so I want to know something because I noticed soemthign interesting on their blog.

Obviously, nothing new has been shown so far, but you notice how it always says "today's [thingy]"?

Are potd back?

PLEASE PLS PLS!!!

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman

Just for fun though. I wonder about Mighty No.9, due how poor his reception's been since his official game debut.
This game is more underrated than Mighty No. 9 .
Is this game was relevant?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm expecting people to make a lot of fakes of those black and white splash pages on everyone's fighter video as leaks.

It'll be the dream of someone with the capability of making godly models who wants to troll.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ok so I want to know something because I noticed soemthign interesting on their blog.

Obviously, nothing new has been shown so far, but you notice how it always says "today's [thingy]"?

Are potd back?

PLEASE PLS PLS!!!
They are by this point, honestly. Good thing too, since it's a while to go through this 6 years (even if it's less than a year and more from last speculation.)

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Are potd back?

PLEASE PLS PLS!!!
It’s called the “Blog of the Day” so yes they’re back.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

Yeah the "Mighty Number 9 for Smash" is weird to me. (Please don't be offended, not insulting his fanbase)

To me, it's a (mostly) unsuccessful indie spiritual successor to Megaman. And it's so new too. Hasn't even had time to become an Icon. I guess I'm just old, but I could think of plenty of other older games that still don't have representation and could have characters over this.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Let me put it this way: Red Ash, which was supposed to come out in 2017 with a game and an anime, has had nothing said about it for nearly 2 years. And outside of Re:Core and an Egg game for mobile Comcept has been silent for nearly that long.
At this point Beck is more a Mighty Gunvolt character then one in his own series now.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Those were a thing in PM, and they were a lot of fun. Also Darkstalkers 3 is a classic HP-based fighter that uses stocks. I think it's a great format for fighters that should be explored more often, as it keeps the action going. Rounds reset things back to neutral, and there's a lot of wait-time in between. Not only that, but resources like meter don't always carry over. HP/Stamina+Stocks is God Tier. If only Smash let you set how much Stamina you play with. It would open a lot of doors imo.
You've been able to set how much stamina characters have since Brawl.

Spartacus5

Smash Rookie
NNID
Catain_Obvious23
I wonder how the stages will work in tournament since their are now different variations and the ability to turn of stage hazards

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
They are by this point, honestly. Good thing too, since it's a while to go through this 6 years (even if it's less than a year and more from last speculation.)
The reason I care SO MUCH about potd is I have very distinct memories of being here and basiclaly waiting at 3-4am my time on the potd thread while listening to music before seeing it, especially the one that revealed the paper mario stage.

So I will VERY look forward to the coming days :)

D

Deleted member

You've been able to set how much stamina characters have since Brawl.
I remember it being very limited. I haven't played the mode very often tbh, as, like it was said before, you can't do stocks with stamina. I really liked how it worked in PM though. They got it perfect.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the "Mighty Number 9 for Smash" is weird to me. (Please don't be offended, not insulting his fanbase)

To me, it's a (mostly) unsuccessful indie spiritual successor to Megaman. And it's so new too. Hasn't even had time to become an Icon. I guess I'm just old, but I could think of plenty of other older games that still don't have representation and could have characters over this.
Is there a character that can be a Megaman's Echo Fighter?
And why Mighty No. 9 for Smash is weird?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder if they’d consider having that thing from PM’s stamina mode where characters can screen wrap when launched offscreen; that’d be hilarious if they did do that, it was so fun in PM.

It bothers me a bit when people talk about Beck like he’s only starred in one game, when Mighty Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt Burst exist. Non-canon crossovers, yes, but they have similar gameplay and many of the stages and bosses from No. 9. Still, I really doubt they’d let him get in as a clone; I think trophy or Mii costume would be as far as he could get, if that at all.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just going to assume the last few newcomers are

A 3rd Party of some kind
a New Pokemon rep
Elma
Rhythm Heaven rep
a popular ballot choice
1 or 2 new echo fighters

of course sakurai is full of suprises so this wont be accurate

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I also forgot to mention but Guile could be a good representative of the street fighter series to due to his popularity
I wonder if his theme will be added not only on a Street Fighter stage, but every stage? After all, Guile's theme does go with everything, right?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Is there a character that can be a Megaman's Echo Fighter?
Easily Protoman or Bass, but both were added to his final smash so they’re out of the question it seems.

And why Mighty No. 9 for Smash is weird?
Because the game had very poor reception. You’re allowed to like it, but it seems far more people disliked it than people liked it, so he has a bad reputation. A character with a bad reputation like that would feel weird next to all the all-stars, especially the third parties where things are strict.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Just going to assume the last few newcomers are

A 3rd Party of some kind
a New Pokemon rep
Elma
Rhythm Heaven rep
a popular ballot choice
1 or 2 new echo fighters

of course sakurai is full of suprises so this wont be accurate
I honestly don't know if we are getting a new pokemon rep. We got 3 returning pokemon (pichu, ivysaur, squirtle), increasing Pokemon's member count by roughly 50% (6 to 9). I really am not sure we are getting another new one. Replace new pokemon with new DK/xenoblade rep and it'll be more well rounded and I'd agree in every way.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be honest no one should expect another fighter for a few months. It's going to be deconfirmations/review/moveset/item/singleplayer stuff until the next nintendo direct. Assuming there's a 6 x 12 layout, we should be expecting 7 more fighters total and that's it. Good chance some of them aren't even known until after the game launches.
I do think we'll see every fighter before the game launches, no reason keeping some of them secret when almost everyone is unlockable anyways, keeping 2 or 3 characters secret in total doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I do agree that it'll be a long wait from now until the next reveal though, people should expect a drought of notable information for a significant period from now on.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who is more fit for smash, Chun Li or Ken?
Ken works as an echo fighter, but not really much else. He's also notably less iconic than Chun Li, but still a gaming face people know.

Chun Li is the most iconic female fighter to Ryu's most iconic male fighter. She'd have to be a second fully realized rep with a different play style for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom