• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
The trailer was number one on YouTube trending.

You can find countless reaction videos of people losing their minds (and breaking their shelves) over all the characters coming back, not to mention Ridley.

They focused on showing us the veterans and how it will be a celebration of all of Smash, but still promised more unique newcomers. Yes, he said not to hope for as many newcomers as previous games, but those Brawl and Smash 4 had 15 unique newcomers. We could still get 10 unique newcomers in total just for the base game of this, not counting DLC.

They also seemed to imply they are focusing on what fans have been asking for (Sakurai said fan demand specifically is why he brought back every veteran, and it can be assumed that’s why he went back and changed his mind on Ridley).

What do you consider “enough content” to warrant a new Smash game? Smash 4 is different from Brawl because it has:
- New characters
- New stages
- New gameplay mechanics
- New tweaks to veterans
- New items
- New assists and Pokeballs
- New artstyle
- New name
- New theme song
- New UI
- New modes

Smash Ultimate also has all of those compared to Smash 4 (well we’re not sure about modes, but I’d be shocked).

They outright confirmed it yesterday; it’s a new game.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think that's a valid argument without being too bias or anything. Most people are really one-sided on the topic. What are your guy's thoughts on the "Ridley is too big topic"? Just curious.
There's no arguing the fact that Ridley is usually too big in his Metroid appearances to be considered a viable, playable fighter in Smash Bros.

HOWEVER, it is VERY common for fictional characters to change size to accommodate a playable appearance. Bowser, Petey Piranha, and the Queen Bee from Mario Galaxy are all examples.

The difficulty here was that we had never seen Ridley shrunk before. It didn't seem as strange for Bowser, since we had seen him in more appropriate proportions previously through things like Mario Kart and Mario Golf. However, there is no "Metroid Kart" or "Metroid Golf" (although Ridley IS smaller in Metroid Prime Pinball).

I think shrinking Ridley to be playable completely fits into these norms. It makes total sense to me, and I've always been interested in having Ridley as a playable Smash fighter.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that was updated yesterday.
Not that I think we're gonna see a new fighter.
To be honest no one should expect another fighter for a few months. It's going to be deconfirmations/review/moveset/item/singleplayer stuff until the next nintendo direct. Assuming there's a 6 x 12 layout, we should be expecting 7 more fighters total and that's it. Good chance some of them aren't even known until after the game launches.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
If I remember right, the new posts were uploaded to the Smash Bros Blog at 9PM EST and 2AM EST respectively. Someone who definitely knows correct me if I am wrong.
Is there a blog where updates the "pic of the day" in the Smash Bros for 3DS / Wii U?

I just wanna know about if there's a possibility of Sakurai uploading images (pic of the day) of Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Is there a blog where updates the "pic of the day" in the Smash Bros for 3DS / Wii U?

I just wanna know about if there's a possibility of Sakurai uploading images (pic of the day) of Smash Bros Ultimate.
I don't think it's confirmed how long or often it'll be updated yet buuuut....go to smashbros.com, pick your language and then scroll down to Super Smash Blog.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just had a thought. Now in terms of third parties, we have Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco and Square Enix characters in the game. It was revealed that Bomberman, a Konami character who is not from Metal Gear nor Castlevania (the latter being yet to be announced) but from his own series is going to be an assist trophy. With that said, I want to ask: What characters from the same third party company but not from a series that has playable characters in the game would you like to see as Assist Trophies in this game? Characters who star in a series that is different from, say, for example, Street Fighter and Megaman from Capcom? For me, I would go for NiGHTS from the NiGHTS series from Sega, and I can see him flying around and spinning to attack opponents in the air. What about you guys?

D

Deleted member

Just had a thought. Now in terms of third parties, we have Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco and Square Enix characters in the game. It was revealed that Bomberman, a Konami character who is not from Metal Gear nor Castlevania (the latter being yet to be announced) but from his own series is going to be an assist trophy. With that said, I want to ask: What characters from the same third party company but not from a series that has playable characters in the game would you like to see as Assist Trophies in this game? Characters who star in a series that is different from, say, for example, Street Fighter and Megaman from Capcom? For me, I would go for NiGHTS from the NiGHTS series from Sega, and I can see him flying around and spinning to attack opponents in the air. What about you guys?
Phoenix Wright.
I just want to see him make an appearance in the game in some capacity, but this would honestly be the best way.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you have to play with or even against those characters except maybe if you're unlocking them. Just ignore they exist. They aren't hurting you on that selection screen, and no character steals a slot from another.
I said “don’t like,” not “dislike.” “Don’t like” could mean being apathetic towards.

Someone being bitter at Daisy and Ridley’s inclusions because they “stole a spot” from Waluigi is sort of unreasonable. That’s not what I’m arguing.

Someone being bitter because Waluigi isn’t playable, regardless of any other characters, isn’t unreasonable. They don’t have to like Ridley or Daisy just because everyone else does. They’re allowed to be upset that they’re favorite character Waluigi wasn’t included.

Should you say this game sucks because your favorite character isn’t in? No.
Should you start bringing down people who are excited about Daisy and Ridley just because your favorite character isn’t in? No.
Do you have the right to be upset because your favorite character isn’t in, even if everyone else is really excited? Yes.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I probably missed that, what did you say yesterday?
...I basically said that, since Pokemon Trainer is back, we don't need to fill the Grass starter hole anymore and that makes Decidueye less likely. I probably worded it more politely, but StoopidUnicorn still gave me a pretty snarky rebuttal.

I was wrong. It takes away from the fact that Decidueye is a well-liked Pokemon with plenty of other qualities, merits, and fans of it's own.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Phoenix Wright, AiAi, Dig Dug, a Slime from Dragon Quest, and Heihachi seem like characters that should show up easily.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
To be honest there, do you think that will be more Echo Fighters (a.k.a. clones) ?
If i recall, Echo Fighters tend to act similarly, but sometimes different.

I just wonder how must be the final smashes of Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
A Breath of Fire character would be really cool, but no way in hell that's happening.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
To be honest no one should expect another fighter for a few months. It's going to be deconfirmations/review/moveset/item/singleplayer stuff until the next nintendo direct. Assuming there's a 6 x 12 layout, we should be expecting 7 more fighters total and that's it. Good chance some of them aren't even known until after the game launches.
We shouldn’t assume roster numbers based on what would make a perfect rectangle.

I’m sure Sakurai chooses who he wants to include, then does the actual CSS later.
If he cared about sticking to the number that would make the CSS perfect, late-development inclusions like Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit wouldn’t be able to exist.

D

Deleted member

...I basically said that, since Pokemon Trainer is back, we don't need to fill the Grass starter hole anymore and that makes Decidueye less likely. I probably worded it more politely, but StoopidUnicorn still gave me a pretty snarky rebuttal.

I was wrong. It takes away from the fact that Decidueye is a well-liked Pokemon with plenty of other qualities, merits, and fans of it's own.
Eh, don't worry.
As the leader of the Decidueye cult, I think it's alright to feel this way. Everyone has their own opinions.
Also I'm pretty sure it was Cosmic that Uni replied to.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Lampy's right. I think he was responding to my post. Unlike you, I flat-out said that anyone who thought Decidueye was the Pokémon front-runner was greatly overrating his chances.

Probably not the gentlest way I could've said that, but I feel strongly about the topic. Just my personal opinion though, and I could easily be proven wrong in less than a week or so.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
To be honest there, do you think that will be more Echo Fighters (a.k.a. clones) ?
If i recall, Echo Fighters tend to act similarly, but sometimes different.

I just wonder how must be the final smashes of Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy.
Definitely. I feel like they wouldn’t go out of their way to even make it a specified thing if they were only going to have three, two of which are veterans.

On my post-E3 prediction roster that I’m working on, I have:
- Chrom for Ike
- Isabelle for Villager
- Shadow for Sonic
- Maaaaaaaybe Dark Samus for Samus, but really the only reason I’m saying that is because Samus seems to lack her Dark Samus inspired palette swap, and Dark’s assist trophy has been noticeable absent.

In fact, part of the reason I’m predicting Isabelle, Shadow, and Chrom is because their Smash 4 roles are weirdly missing. Isabelle and Shadow both haven’t showed up as assist, and Robin’s final smash hasn’t been showed off yet (possibly because Chrom is removed to be his own fighter).

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Please say I'm not the only person with the new theme stuck in their head. And I'm not complaining, it is godly.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
- Chrom for Ike
- Isabelle for Villager
- Shadow for Sonic
- Maaaaaaaybe Dark Samus for Samus, but really the only reason I’m saying that is because Samus seems to lack her Dark Samus inspired palette swap, and Dark’s assist trophy has been noticeable absent.

In fact, part of the reason I’m predicting Isabelle, Shadow, and Chrom is because their Smash 4 roles are weirdly missing. Isabelle and Shadow both haven’t showed up as assist, and Robin’s final smash hasn’t been showed off yet (possibly because Chrom is removed to be his own fighter).
Shadow with Sonic is okay, but...

Why Chrom for Ike? Something similar with them?
Who's Isabelle?

I'm thinking about one thing....

MEGAMAN'S ECHO FIGHTER IS BECK FROM MIGHTY NO. 9 :

What do you think about this?

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So I made a list of all the newcomers I think are possible in this game. They are ordered in likeliness based on my opinions and what we have seen with missing ATs and all.

Confirmed?
-Simon Belmont

Very Likely
-Bandanna Dee
-King K. Rool
-Decidueye
-Spring Man
-Rayman

Still very possible but less likely imo
-Dixie Kong
-Rex + Pyra/Mythra
-Ashley
-Dillon
-Mimikyu

Possible Echoes
-Shadow
-Dark Samus

Only predicting two echoes because I don't think we're getting any more than two more and those two seem to make the most sense since they're former roles are both notably absent. Characters like Funky Kong, Isabelle, and Dixie deserve more than just being echoes and I think many of you are overdoing it with the Echo predictions. Even Dark Samus is a stretch as an Echo but I think Sakurai might add Dark Samus to please those complaining that Dark Pit gets to be a character yet Dark Samus and Dark Link aren't.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So I made a list of all the newcomers I think are possible in this game. They are ordered in likeliness based on my opinions and what we have seen with missing ATs and all.

Confirmed?
-Simon Belmont
No, not confirmed. In fact, unless I missed something the 2 Konami games Verg referred to were not announced, so I think it's actually somewhat unlikely at this point.

D

Deleted member

The fact no new third party was shown at all seems really weird to me. It's probably just a case of Sakurai not wanting to reveal everything at once, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
The fact no new third party was shown at all seems really weird to me. It's probably just a case of Sakurai not wanting to reveal everything at once, though.
Seriously, Sakurai wants to make us anxious and nervous?

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

Confirmed?
-Simon Belmont

Very Likely
-Bandanna Dee
-King K. Rool
-Decidueye
-Spring Man
-Rayman

Still very possible but less likely imo
-Dixie Kong
-Rex + Pyra/Mythra
-Ashley
-Dillon
-Mimikyu

Possible Echoes
-Shadow
-Dark Samus

Only predicting two echoes because I don't think we're getting any more than two more and those two seem to make the most sense since they're former roles are both notably absent. Characters like Funky Kong, Isabelle, and Dixie deserve more than just being echoes and I think many of you are overdoing it with the Echo predictions. Even Dark Samus is a stretch as an Echo but I think Sakurai might add Dark Samus to please those complaining that Dark Pit gets to be a character yet Dark Samus and Dark Link aren't.
Move decidueye down a tier or two and add a rhythm heaven rep and we might be good

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shadow with Sonic is okay, but...

Why Chrom for Ike? Something similar with them?
Who's Isabelle?

I'm thinking about one thing....

MEGAMAN'S ECHO FIGHTER IS BECK FROM MIGHTY NO. 9 :

What do you think about this?
The Chrom for Ike thing only has traction because of that dumb Palutena conversation that said Chrom doesn't have enough to differentiate him from Ike or Marth.
Isabelle is the adorable dog assistant of the Villager in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

My opinion on Beck is **** Beck and **** Mighty No. 9.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have now fully absorbed the Smash info barrage and am ready for more contentious leaks. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom