• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can we appreciate that the three Links we have are all from different branches of the Zelda timeline? BotW Link is Downfall Timeline, Young Link is Child Timeline, and Toon Link is adult timeline.

It's just a cool little detail to me.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Ok imma let you finish but aren't those Waluigi fans simply acting in character for Waluigi? This isn't K.Rool's fanbase reaction at the ballot, plus you gotta remember this is the third installment in a row the same thing happens
to be fair though, it's not just waluigi that was "cheated" or w/e but literally every other character who got deconfirmed, so why is it such a big deal for a character who hasn't even had one main game title to their name? not to mention how there's other characters who have had the same fate three times, or even more than (toad is still being used by Peach since melee). so why the load uproar?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Can we appreciate that the three Links we have are all from different branches of the Zelda timeline? BotW Link is Downfall Timeline, Young Link is Child Timeline, and Toon Link is adult timeline.

It's just a cool little detail to me.
Well, BotW was never really placed in the timeline. Based on the references in game, I think it's on the Child timeline (since lakes and forests are named for OoT and MM characters), but either way it's all the way at the end.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If fans make you hate a character you thought you liked, you never really liked that character to begin with.

And propaganda is your Achilles' heel.
I never implied that I liked Waluigi, I was simply indifferent to him. Nowadays, however, I find him extremely unfunny and annoying, and his fanbase's conduct as of late has done nothing to change that for me - if anything, the folks who have been spamming the Nintendo Treehouse chat nonstop with "WALUIGI NEEDS TO BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH" seem to take after their idol in that respect.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Waluigi truthers are Smash 4 Ridley fans after the shadow reveal who kept thinking he would be playable.
Come on guys, it's not that hard to accept that he's not in the game and move on.
I know this off of personal experience. There's people I know who thought Ridley would be playable after the shadow reveal, and inside I was still hoping that it was a false flag, but in the end it wasn't a misdirect and it wasn't a tease, he was simply a boss.
For Waluigi, his time in the spotlight is over. He's an assist trophy. And it might be a shame he's not in, but maybe next game guys you'll get what you wanted. You never know. Ridley supporters after Smash 4 thought he would never be playable, and yet here we are.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, side note. Chris refers to "Isaac" a lot in his reactions. That's me.

Lucas is a clone though, I've never played mother 3 but doesn't he take like practically nothing from his own game anyway?
Yeah, a lot of his moves are references to the other members. Magnet is his, but the other specials belong to Kumatora. He kicks a lot, which is a reference to Duster, but his psychic A-Moves are based on his own "PK Love" attack. The Rope Snake is also Duster's.

Ness isn't too far off. Magnet and Flash are his, but the other specials belong to Paula. However, he IS able to wield bats and yo-yos as weapons.

Both Ness and Lucas are actually the healer characters of their parties; NOT the main fighters.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Waluigi's one of my favorite video game characters, but dear lord is the internet making me hate him.

We literally got the return of all 63 veterans, and the same day, I see an article called "Everyone is in Super Smash Bros Ultimate....EXCEPT WALUIGI!!!"

I mean for **** sake. I thought the obsession with King K. Rool and Waddle Dee was annoying.
They’re articles from clickbate sites so I would just ignore those. But a lot of reactions of Daisy I saw other than being shocked were “Waluigi has to be in the game now.” Which I guess makes sense seeing how they were in a similar boat. When Waluigi was disconfirmed, some were disappointed and shrugged it off because of how amazing the new game is turning out regardless.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
One change regarding Link's forward air I noticed in the live E3 stream was the first hit of his fair has very little (probably set) knockback. Because of this, it can combo into the second hit even at sudden death percentages.

You can check it out yourself here, when Link is battling Zelda on Spirit Train.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Crap. This treehouse chat is so toxic. One person threatened to burn down Nintendo's headquarters. Yes, whoever posted with is probably a kid, but wow.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Feels nice to be back here again, and right in time for the MvC2 of the series.like, for real.

CotA-64
MSH-Melee
XvSF-Brawl
MSHvSF-3DS
MvC1-Wii-U
MvC2-Ultima

Suddenly every character coming back makes more sense.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Lucas is a clone though, I've never played mother 3 but doesn't he take like practically nothing from his own game anyway?
Lucas is more of an amalgamation of aspects of his game, rather than representing himself from his game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
On Waluigi real talk he needs to be in his own game before he can appear in smash.

I'm sorry but other than bein g"weird" who is he?

I love his design I REALLY do but here's the thing.

He's no one

He's not antagonist, protagonist, sidekick, Wario's brother, or anything like that.

He is a guy Wario plays tennis with an or Nintendo's
so until something happens that's significant for him like a regular Warioware appearance or his own game, I'm not sure why he should be in Smash.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well... Ness is a healer... but he actually hits VERY hard in the game (specially after that event).
Well, sure, but... I still don't remember it being quite as reliably powerful as Paula's Omega spells, Jeff's big bottle rockets, and Poo's sword attacks.

Ness is really powerful, but it comes more from his high healing, RIDICULOUSLY high HP, and...well, yeah. He actually CAN hit pretty darn hard with that bat.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Media-only posts are not allowed.
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Oh, side note. Chris refers to "Isaac" a lot in his reactions. That's me.

Yeah, a lot of his moves are references to the other members. Magnet is his, but the other specials belong to Kumatora. He kicks a lot, which is a reference to Duster, but his psychic A-Moves are based on his own "PK Love" attack. The Rope Snake is also Duster's.

Ness isn't too far off. Magnet and Flash are his, but the other specials belong to Paula. However, he IS able to wield bats and yo-yos as weapons.

Both Ness and Lucas are actually the healer characters of their parties; NOT the main fighters.
When I actually played through EB on the 3DS I was shocked to learn how much of a staple PK Rockin’ is for Ness in game. I had always assumed it was some late game strong PSI he got but it’s his primary offensive option early on (for me at least) and I will say I think it’s weird they don’t have any inclusion of it in Smash. Lucas and Ninten tho are even more strictly healers / assists in their games, so the borrowing works better there.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
On Waluigi real talk he needs to be in his own game before he can appear in smash.

I'm sorry but other than bein g"weird" who is he?

I love his design I REALLY do but here's the thing.

He's no one

He's not antagonist, protagonist, sidekick, Wario's brother, or anything like that.

He is a guy Wario plays tennis with an or Nintendo's so until something happens that's significant for him like a regular Warioware appearance or his own game, I'm not sure why he should be in Smash.
To be blunt...

These are the types of "Waluigi shouldn't be in Smash" arguments I hate. Just because he doesn't appear in a certain type of game doesn't mean he doesn't appear in a lot of games or is any less of an iconic character.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well, sure, but... I still don't remember it being quite as reliably powerful as Paula's Omega spells, Jeff's big bottle rockets, and Poo's sword attacks.

Ness is really powerful, but it comes more from his high healing, RIDICULOUSLY high HP, and...well, yeah. He actually CAN hit pretty darn hard with that bat.
Yeah, I wasn't specifically talking about his magic/Psychic attack (but still, being the user of Rockin and Flash has their benefits), I was mostly talking about his physical power... and yeah, his HP is freaking high.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Waluigi's one of my favorite video game characters, but dear lord is the internet making me hate him.

We literally got the return of all 63 veterans, and the same day, I see an article called "Everyone is in Super Smash Bros Ultimate....EXCEPT WALUIGI!!!"

I mean for **** sake. I thought the obsession with King K. Rool and Waddle Dee was annoying.
People are obsessed with Waddle Dee?

How weird.

Troykv

Smash Master

My obsesion with Micaiah only goes to safe levels, thank goodness.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I have to say, the hype is real. Every character has been given at least something to freshen them up, from subtle visual changes like Cappy added to Mario to minor gameplay tweaks such as giving Ganondorf a sword in his Smash attacks, to drastically altering some major character aspects like with Link's Breath of the Wild update, everyone looks like they've been improved to a proper competitive state. This may be the first Smash where just about anyone is viable and balanced - appropriate considering the circumstances. Loving the changes and visual updates. I'm fine with less newcomers so long as the game is this polished and well made.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Super Smash Bros Ultimate has Ember Moon play a game
Street Fighter V has New Day and the *Golden* Elite playing right now
...fighting games seems ready to take over 2018...

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be blunt...

These are the types of "Waluigi shouldn't be in Smash" arguments I hate. Just because he doesn't appear in a certain type of game doesn't mean he doesn't appear in a lot of games or is any less of an iconic character.
That was harsh of me but that's how I'm starting to see things nothing is impossible but this just doesn't seem practical without insensitive.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestley, i don't understand all the Waluigi hype. I'm fine if he's in smash, don't get me wrong, but he's not a character i would really support.

?????????????

Smash Master
That was harsh of me but that's how I'm starting to see things nothing is impossible but this just doesn't seem practical without insensitive.
Trust me. Don't go down this road.

It is a near literal mirror of the "Ridley doesn't make sense because of his size."

blackghost

Smash Champion
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
no one has said this game feels like 4.
boring rehash? how exactly?
go look at the sales of the switch this game will sell like crazy.
barely any hype?? this forum (although a small segment of the fanbase) had an embarassing amount of pages from a teaser trailer. this games views on youtube dwarf anything else. this game is the most anticipated game i've seen outside of ff7 remake.
the internet didn't explode at melee clones it exploded at cloud. dont give me revisionist history.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I have to say, the hype is real. Every character has been given at least something to freshen them up, from subtle visual changes like Cappy added to Mario to minor gameplay tweaks such as giving Ganondorf a sword in his Smash attacks, to drastically altering some major character aspects like with Link's Breath of the Wild update, everyone looks like they've been improved to a proper competitive state. This may be the first Smash where just about anyone is viable and balanced - appropriate considering the circumstances. Loving the changes and visual updates. I'm fine with less newcomers so long as the game is this polished and well made.
I agree but be careful with that line of thinking. People thought the same about 4 before, and a while after, but once the meta started settling it was clear not all the characters were made equal. Especially the last two... >.>

But yeah hopefully the rumors are true and they intend on keeping this the definitive version for a while with plenty of balance patches.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You realize most of the characters in the game are like this, right? Normals aren't supposed to be something special. They're supposed to be something practical that also makes some sense for the character. Ness is a wonderful example of this. What is his dash attack, new up air, down air? They're magic abilities that just make sense. They're normals. They just need to fit the character's design, and arguing that basic magic doesn't fit a mage would be the most asinine thing I've heard all day if not for the "Waluigi is still possible" discussion.
I don't know anything about new Ness other than the new effect for PSI Magnet.
arguing that basic magic doesn't fit a mage would be the most asinine thing I've heard all day
I see you on here all the time, I know you aren't dense, but please read more. . . I'm not attacking the character, I never said anything doesn't fit, you simply aren't actually providing information about the moveset. You're just saying "mage," but what actually is she doing and what's it for? I haven't actually played the game, but there are a ton of characters in Touhou (the fighting game, not the bullet hell) that could roughly be called mages insofar as that they use magic, but that's not a description of what any of them specifically functionally do. There are all sorts of different character archetypes and so on, and what's really asinine is thinking that "she's a shrine maiden/goddess/whatever" is a good description of what kind of character she is. It's not a character design, it's a vague visual flavor at best.
And if you think characters in Smash in general are designed with nothing particular in mind, just what looks like it makes sense... I really don't know what to tell you. Have you ever actually looked closely at a fighting game, Smash or otherwise? It's not just about how the choreography on the move looks (though I wish NRS would care about choreography), it's about the playstyle, which is as vitally important to conveying the character as "hey, I remember her forward special from X game." Normals are most of her moves, so they necessarily define a large part of her playstyle. With the account that you're giving me, I could shrink down Zelda, change her specials and smash attacks, and it would fit everything you've said about Ashley. Likewise, I could also port nearly any other sorceress from any other game, no matter how they play, change 7 out of ~30 moves, and it would perfectly fit your description. Other than hexes, does Ashley poke a lot? Does she rush down? Does she have slower attacks? Multi-hits? Evidently it doesn't matter so long as all of the attacks look like she could plausibly do them based on her choreography.
Do you see the problem?

Last edited:

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
The day that Waluigi appears in a canon Mario game he will be added. He has everything except for that. Daisy, who is actually less popular, got in because she is at least canon thanks to Super Mario Land and Super Mario Run (which is a recent, popular game). Until then, Waluigi will be an assist trophy. Although his chances of getting in a main game are low because he is one of the few characters to not be designed by Miyamoto (to be fair, Wario and Daisy are in the same boat at well) and he wasn't even created by Nintendo.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestley, i don't understand all the Waluigi hype. I'm fine if he's in smash, don't get me wrong, but he's not a character i would really support.
Well, there's nothing wrong with that. I never supported Palutena, Rosalina, Villager, or Pac-man.

...But don't forget that you're always potentially talking about someone else's favorite character. Like...it's fine if Waluigi doesn't hype you, but remain conscious of the fact that Waluigi hypes many other people.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited to play a "mode" with my pals. A mode where we have only assist trophies on, and you can only attack using AT's. You can also fight back against your opponents AT's to try and KO them to take a stock/points from them, haha. Kind of like how we used to play with Stamina mode with only pokeballs, and would take turns summoning Pokemon to have a Pokemon battle and see who'd get KO'd first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The difference between my joke and yours is that I actually know what each of the stages means.
Are you trying to be edgy? I'm genuinely confused so I apologize if I'm being confrontational for no reason, but this is what I infer from your phrasing.
I'd bring up one of the things you said on another thread, but I'd rather just leave it at that because I'm not into personal attacks.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I agree but be careful with that line of thinking. People thought the same about 4 before, and a while after, but once the meta started settling it was clear not all the characters were made equal. Especially the last two... >.>

But yeah hopefully the rumors are true and they intend on keeping this the definitive version for a while with plenty of balance patches.
If nothing else, the minor tweaks look like they'll make each character more fun to play as then before (well, except maybe Lucina and Dark Pit). Fact of the matter is, a lot of Smash 4's old characters felt like they needed an update and didn't give them that, and now they do, which makes me extremely happy.

I don't care, I'm not into games anymore. Haven't played anything since December 2016, came here to a voice a personal opinion that I didn't expect any of you to agree with.

If you look at my post history you'll notice that my most wanted newcomer in Smash (while I was still into games) was Ridley. I was really zealous about the prospect of getting him into 4 as a newcomer, had a meltdown when that didn't happen during the infamous DLC season. Had I still been into games there would be no reason for me to be disappointed about 5, lol.
If you don't even play video games anymore, why do you even know about anything Smash related from the last few days, and why do you care about anything on a video game related website says?

?????????????

Smash Master
The day that Waluigi appears in a canon Mario game he will be added. He has everything except for that. Daisy, who is actually less popular, got in because she is at least canon thanks to Super Mario Land and Super Mario Run (which is a recent, popular game). Until then, Waluigi will be an assist trophy.
You have no way of actually knowing any of that.

...In my opinion, the REAL reason Daisy got in was because she was an easy echo. If they were to add Waluigi, he'd have to be unique, and they just didn't prioritize that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom