• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Nah, Waluigi isn't comparable to Ridley as he doesn't have his equivalent to Ridley's "Too Big" meme. That and the Ridley support base has been lasting since 2001.
I just realized. Ridley has been requested for Smash since 2001. And after 17 years he finally burst out of the ground and took flight as an actual character, after being dormant as a boss/hazard/background character for 17 years. Ridley is the Super Smash Bros version of a cicada.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
inb4 this becomes the most successful fighting game of all time, beating brawl and smash 3ds

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
NEW INFO CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO TREEHOUSE!
Once Link's arrows land on the ground, they will stick to the ground and you can grab them and throw it at your oponents. They haven't confirmed if the same applies to Young Link or/and Toon Link

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's probably not worth the effort to be bringing back Galleom, Duon, and Tabuu though. Petey Piranha, Rayquaza, and Porky could still maintain their boss status, but the former will need to do more than cage swinging.

Ridley got the playable status, so it makes little sense to see him as a boss as well, unless we're talking about Other M Ridley.
True...but Small Playable Ridley vs Big Boss Ridley is something that sounds hot
Have you SEEN the reactions to Snake alone. Plus the Wii U bombing means not a lot of people played Smash 4 and thus would likely want to pick this up on the Switch
Snake alone had just as much hype making a return as a new 3rd party...Ridley and Ice Climbers also did but they’re proving how powerful highly requested characters can be

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I am starting to think Waluigi will be playable.

• He must have been really high on the ballot.
• Sakurai is sneaky.
• Waluigi is sneaky.
• The game displayed here is a demo build.
• Requested character Daisy got in and Toad now helps Peach fight during throws.
wah.png

The accelerated seven stages of grief that the Waluigi fanbase is going through right now amuses me greatly.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The past few days on the internet taught me something that I didn't think was possible. I hate Waluigi even more now.

Was his disconfirmation this annoying back in Smash 4? Not saying anyone here is specifically in the category, but seeing articles like, "Waluigi was cheated in Smash Ultimate." And "Daisy stole Waluigi's spot!" Or even, "Smash Bros fans are FEAROUS over Waluigi's disconfirmation!" Over and over are really annoying.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
People have provided a goal for her moveset. Someone said she's a magic user who has hexes to debuff and Red who can shapeshift. The goal is to create a character who thrives on debuffing enemies and then using Red's shapeshifting to launch/defeat them. There's a goal. You can work some simpler magic abilities and wand strikes into her normals, Red into her smashes, and hexes and potions into her specials. It would remain true to the character, it would have a direction for what she does, and it would be interesting.
You aren't listening.
You can work some simpler magic abilities and wand strikes into her normals
This, just this, accounts for most of her moves, which is to say that it's handwaving them. I understand that you have whatever for her specials, and you added in Smash attacks, but saying "she uses magic" for all of her tilts and aerials and so on is not a character design, this is only a step above those templates on deviantart that act like the special moveset and Final Smash are the whole character.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
You're allowed to feel and think whatever you want, but to say his game has no hype surrounding it and that 'nobody cares' is simply incorrect and ignorant. Just because you're salty about fewer newcomers doesn't mean you have to say the game will flop, come on
I don't care, I'm not into games anymore. Haven't played anything since December 2016, came here to a voice a personal opinion that I didn't expect any of you to agree with.

If you look at my post history you'll notice that my most wanted newcomer in Smash (while I was still into games) was Ridley. I was really zealous about the prospect of getting him into 4 as a newcomer, had a meltdown when that didn't happen during the infamous DLC season. Had I still been into games there would be no reason for me to be disappointed about 5, lol.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
NEW INFO CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO TREEHOUSE!
Once Link's arrows land on the ground, they will stick to the ground and you can grab them and throw it at your oponents. They haven't confirmed if the same applies to Young Link or/and Toon Link
Makes sense, that's what happens in breath of the wild after all, I assume it wouldn't apply to the others since that doesn't happen in those games

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more talk about Ninten as an echo, he seems the second most likely one after Dark Samus and maybe Dixie.
Echo fighters are extremely similar to their base fighter. So Dark Samus and Dixie wouldn't qualify as an "Echo Fighter" the same way Ninten or Dark Pit would.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Ohhhhhhhh don't be so sure.

I may have """""predicted""""" Ridley to appear in Smash Bros, but now all the negative comments on my videos are geared towards Waluigi.

"Pfft, idiot! Waluigi can't be playable, he's never been in a MAIN Mario game! He can't even be a Wario character; he'll NEVER be in Smash Bros."
Why has Waluigi actually become new Daisy.

What strange alternate dimension have I been transported to?

Am I rich here?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I don't care, I'm not into games anymore. Haven't played anything since December 2016. Came here to a voice a personal opinion that I didn't expect any of you to agree with.

If you look at my post history you'll notice that my most wanted newcomer in Smash (while I was still into games) was Ridley. I was really zealous about the prospect of getting him into 4 as a newcomer, had a meltdown when that didn't happen during the infamous DLC season.

There's literally no reason for me to be disappointed about 5.
Alright that's totally fine, sorry if I upset you. But you gotta realize your post did come off as incredibly whiney, what with saying the game would fail and stuff

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The past few days on the internet taught me something that I didn't think was possible. I hate Waluigi even more now.

Was his disconfirmation this annoying back in Smash 4? Not saying anyone here is specifically in the category, but seeing articles like, "Waluigi was cheated in Smash Ultimate." And "Daisy stole Waluigi's spot!" Or even, "Smash Bros fans are FEAROUS over Waluigi's disconfirmation!" Over and over are really annoying.
Waluigi's one of my favorite video game characters, but dear lord is the internet making me hate him.

We literally got the return of all 63 veterans, and the same day, I see an article called "Everyone is in Super Smash Bros Ultimate....EXCEPT WALUIGI!!!"

I mean for **** sake. I thought the obsession with King K. Rool and Waddle Dee was annoying.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You aren't listening.

This, just this, accounts for most of her moves, which is to say that it's handwaving them. I understand that you have whatever for her specials, and you added in Smash attacks, but saying "she uses magic" for all of her tilts and aerials and so on is not a character design, this is only a step above those templates on deviantart that act like the special moveset and Final Smash are the whole character.
You realize most of the characters in the game are like this, right? Normals aren't supposed to be something special. They're supposed to be something practical that also makes some sense for the character. Ness is a wonderful example of this. What is his dash attack, new up air, down air? They're magic abilities that just make sense. They're normals. They just need to fit the character's design, and arguing that basic magic doesn't fit a mage would be the most asinine thing I've heard all day if not for the "Waluigi is still possible" discussion.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Ninten, the Octolings and Dark Samus would be like the perfect trinity of echo characters (that aren't revealed yet). Shadow would be cool but it feels like a disservice to the character.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Daisy actually appeared in a mainstream Mario game. So why is she relevant to the subject of Waluigi? Because they appeared together as newcomers in Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3?!

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Those aren't completely unique characters though, I can't imagine making an alt or gluing cappy's eyes to mario's hat and giving him a taunt would take all that long, it's not like he has any new cappy specific attacks. Stages probably don't take as long as playable characters either anyway and it's possible mario odyssey assets could be used, same with the breath of the wild stage honestly
Stages are still pretty substantial content and are likely planned out in advance in terms of how many can potentially be included within the allotted development time for the game instead of Sakurai randomly deciding to add stages at random in the middle of development. Plus New Donk City is the feature new Super Mario Bros stage for Smash Ultimate, I'm certain they decided on Mario's home stage of all levels very early on in development, particularly since they haven't exactly bothered to be contemporary with Super Mario Bros content in past Smashes.

And as far as Cappy attack thing goes, this is a really stupid argument considering Sakurai is notorious among fans for almost never droping special moves.t. Mario Tornado, The Three Sacred Treasures n Brawl, and Rock Smash are the only instances I recall of him dropping a special move completely without replacing it with a very similar substitute.

Regarding the Xenoblade discussion, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild content don't mean much for Rex and Pyra, particularly since the former game had already finished development before January 2017 and the latter game was delayed multiple times from 2015 to 2016 all the way to 2017 (the second time due to issues with the physics engine).
Sakurai planned on putting in Lucas back in Melee when his game was in development hell so I don't think the game not being 100% complete would stop Sakurai if he really wanted a new Xenoblade rep that bad (which granted is FAR from a certainty). As far as that Odyssey thing, I never heard of Nintendo saying anything about Odyssey being delayed. Where did you hear it?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi's one of my favorite video game characters, but dear lord is the internet making me hate him.

We literally got the return of all 63 veterans, and the same day, I see an article called "Everyone is in Super Smash Bros Ultimate....EXCEPT WALUIGI!!!"

I mean for **** sake. I thought the obsession with King K. Rool and Waddle Dee was annoying.
Waluigi fanbase made me realize how much I don't hate Daisy.

Staarih

Smash Master
In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
It's as if we know all the content of Smash Ultimate? We literally got the first actual taste of the game just a few days ago and there's like six months still ahead of us before release, who knows what surprises we'll get. I'm definitely sold after the first presentation at least.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ninten, the Octolings and Dark Samus would be like the perfect trinity of echo characters (that aren't revealed yet). Shadow would be cool but it feels like a disservice to the character.
Tbh I think Dark Samus would be more of a disservice than Shadow would, Shadow gameplay wise is usually a clone of sonic anyway while Dark Samus uses phazon abilities and stuff

?????????????

Smash Master
Daisy actually appeared in a mainstream Mario game. So why is she relevant to the subject of Waluigi? Because they appeared together as newcomers in Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3?!
To be fair, I do relate the two for that exact reason.

Anyways, the point is moot. I don't think they prioritized Waluigi in general, and the big reason Daisy made it in was because she's an echo of Peach.

It's like trying to argue why Dark Pit made it over other Kid Icarus characters.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Also people tend to forget that Daisy was randomly added to Super Mario Run. That's a main game according to Nintendo, and I'm sure that made Daisy be an echo fighter, since it's clear that she was added late in development.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Can't speak for others, but I absolutely FREAKED OUT at the prospect of all veterans returning. So did my friend @LordJackal and our other friend Tyler. We all recorded our reactions and we were blown away.

Honestly, I was much more excited by that than Ridley.
You have links? I love reaction videos! (Except when they endlessly bring up whether it's a port.)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sakurai planned on putting in Lucas back in Melee when his game was in development hell so I don't think the game not being 100% complete would stop Sakurai if he really wanted a new Xenoblade rep that bad (which granted is FAR from a certainty). As far as that Odyssey thing, I never heard of Nintendo saying anything about Odyssey being delayed. Where did you hear it?
Lucas is a clone though, I've never played mother 3 but doesn't he take like practically nothing from his own game anyway?

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Alright that's totally fine, sorry if I upset you. But you gotta realize your post did come off as incredibly whiney, what with saying the game would fail and stuff
I guess it just feels odd not being hyped in any way whatsoever about a new Smash title. Four years ago I would have been absolutely delirious.

Hoping for some Castlevania representation in this one, a detailed and unique newcomer from that universe plus a stage or something would be hype.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Before this game, there wasn't a first-party character who I was genuinely mad at the idea of being in Smash.
I can confidently say that the Waluigi fanbase has changed that for me.
Thanks for stealing my joke and generalizing an entire fanbase based on one person's behavior.
The difference between my joke and yours is that I actually know what each of the stages means.
And no, it's not just one person. The immediate ****storm of "Waluigi's fans were cheated!" and "This is an outrage! Sakurai hates us!" to come out of this single character's disconfirmation should be proof enough of that. If it isn't, pop in the Nintendo Treehouse stream for about two minutes and see how many Waluigi-related spam messages fly past the chat, regardless of what's actually going on on-stream.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If fans make you hate a character you thought you liked, you never really liked that character to begin with.

And propaganda is your Achilles' heel.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Aand Alfonzo is back to take care of the Spirit Train whenever Link (And most likely Toon and Young Link) is there.

Again, I hope Toon Link gets the conductor outfit as an alt...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Before this game, there wasn't a first-party character who I was genuinely mad at the idea of being in Smash.
I can confidently say that the Waluigi fanbase has changed that for me.

The difference between my joke and yours is that I actually know what each of the stages means.
And no, it's not just one person. The ****storm of "Waluigi fans were cheated!" and "This is an outrage! Sakurai hates us!" to come out of this single character's disconfirmation should be proof enough of that.
Ok imma let you finish but aren't those Waluigi fans simply acting in character for Waluigi? This isn't K.Rool's fanbase reaction at the ballot, plus you gotta remember this is the third installment in a row the same thing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom