• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The annoying thing about Ridley (and to an extent, other characters in the Melee opening) is that he could’ve been in since that point. Like he’s even only slightly bigger than Samus in the Melee opening. It feels like a no brainer that just hasn’t happened “because reasons”.

It’s like watching a game show and you’re shouting at the idiot at the buzzer when they ask “what’s the biggest thing on this list” and they say elephant instead of Ridley.

...er, the moon, rather.
Now I'm reminded of the Impossible Quiz
Q7.png

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Check this out:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He mentions Emily Rogers on the roster deal, and that piece of info making me sweat heavily.

The next few days are going to be suffering for me as someone banking on Sora in Smash Switch.
That suit could it be for Elma's or dare I hope Krystal's?

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Some last minute "outside the box" picks.
Note: I don't think any of these are likely, just trying to come up with some new characters we haven't talked about a bunch.

King Boo: Recurring villain that, as a ghost, I'm sure could provide for all sorts of neat moves. Would provide Luigi with a nemesis as well.

Hawlucha: A luchador bird Pokemon? This thing was MADE for Smash.

Dark Matter: Not the sword fighting disguise, but the floating eyeball of pure evil. Huge part in the Kirby lore, plus unlike any fighters we have had so far.

Zeta Metroid: The Metroid are the namesake of the series, and (obviously) heavily recurring. This stage of its life-cycle is bipedal and armed to the teeth, so it could fit in Smash better than you'd think.

Slippy: Notable, much-meme'd character that could provide a "funny" fighter that utilizes inventions/tech. Also would give Star Fox it's first non-clone newcomer.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
For real though.

If you want a cool off the wall newcomer.

Wave Racer.

Wave Race is a series that has been on the N64, Gameboy and Gamecube. It's trademark was renewed recently and I got a feeling they may revisit it sometime soon.

Now, people might (rightly) assume that moveset potential is the biggest hurdle. After all, the characters in Wave Race just.... race on jet skis.

But still, I theorycrafed a bit.

Imagine if the Wave Racer is always on their Jet Ski and always has the engine on. Below them is a small puddle of water, this will allow them to move. This could be justified by a special medallion giving them the ability to summon water.

Is that bull****? Yes.

But it's cool though and it solves the issue of them being able to move on land or.... space sometimes.

The moveset proper would involved things like tricks, spins and tackles. Specials could involve small waves of water and even take cues from Jet Kirby for their side special, storing a charge and unleashes it for a huge tackle that sends them to the other parts of the screen. Their overall playstyle could center around their unique movement style where they would trade traction for immense bursts of speed. If a way, they become an opportunist hit and run character.

Just some thoughts. What do you think?
Off-the-wall newcomers, huh? Okay then.

I may be known as the Lycanroc champion around here, but there's another Pokémon with a plausible chance that I haven't seen acknowledged in any serious speculation anywhere:

While it may not be on the radars of people outside the Pokémon fanbase, this one's definitely up there among Gen 7's most prominent 'mons. Alolan Vulpix apparently has the single most merchandise of anyone new to this generation, and is even Lillie's signature 'mon in the anime. While you could argue the line's better suited for a Poké Ball summon, and I agree on that being the most likely scenario, it does make you wonder if the fully evolved Ninetales might be on the table as a newcomer option. Would never be their first choice, mind you, but if they add two new Pokémon this time around like in every Smash game other than 4, then there might be something there.

Or, dare I say it, what if we got three new 'mons?

Heh. Nah.

Anyway, there's actually a lot of moveset potential here, focused around controlling ice and snow, an element that's hardly been touched by Smash fighters so far (even the ICs only use ice for two specials and their Final Smash). While I've had to debate about Lycanroc being able to operate items like blasters with its mouth and it not being too outlandish with how inherently silly most items are, the question wouldn't even need asking with Ninetales if they made the tails prehensile. I could even see a gimmick where her neutral special could summon clouds of cold Mist that could provide passive healing and also be used to enhance her other specials, like Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, and Aurora Veil.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Check this out:

He mentions Emily Rogers on the roster deal, and that piece of info making me sweat heavily.

The next few days are going to be suffering for me as someone banking on Sora in Smash Switch.
The first one is DJ Khaled

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I have never been a Ridley fan but thanks to you guys, specially the ones from the post-brawl speculation days, today he is one of my most wanted characters. I feel as if I am a better person now. Renewed an purified of all sin. Thank you brothers and sisters.
As for Ridley, all I ask is thy kingdom come and thy will be done.
Strangely I'm starting to feel the same and I never really had much interest in him either. Do you think this is contagious?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sora, Elma, and Simon Belmont?

That'd be hype AF.

Kingdom Hearts III on Switch and Sora in Smash Bros? I'd die of happiness.
I'm not interested in Simon only because I've never played a Castlevania game but I'm happy for those who might have chance to play him. I'm more hyped for Sora, and Elma, and the potential chance of Krystal, expectation are in check but I have hope.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Strangely I'm starting to feel the same and I never really had much interest in him either. Do you think this is contagious?
Oh, that's just a side effect of the Vertigo-strain Phazon we've spread in the air-- UH I MEAN, NO, NOT AT ALL. MAYBE YOU JUST NOTICED HOW COOL RIDLEY IS, I MEAN I CAN'T BLAME YOU EVERYONE LOVES THAT GUY, RIGHT? HAHAHAHAH...

... Commander, there has been a protocol breach, permission to eradicate all witnesses?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel like the complete opposite of the people who are claiming Ridley isn't E3 material, if he doesn't appear at E3 then it's clear he's not in imo. I know I have my biases, but even if we're being very generous you can at most count on one hand the amount of first party characters more significant than him, and none of them have quite the same relation to Smash specifically as him. He's also very marketable at the moment as they're trying to revive Metroid, and Ridley's inclusion would help that a lot. Then you also have to factor in that we're likely to get more than just 3 newcomers this time due to the short time between reveal and release, and I think he pretty much has to be at E3, otherwise it's bust.

I don't get the notion that he'd be unlockable either, for the past two games the newcomers that are hidden until the end are either clones, not very marketable, or just less marketable than another newcomer from their own series. There always seems to be an idea that villains are going to be unlockables, but I don't think that's the case, the villains that have been so were for other reasons.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I feel like the complete opposite of the people who are claiming Ridley isn't E3 material, if he doesn't appear at E3 then it's clear he's not in imo. I know I have my biases, but even if we're being very generous you can at most count on one hand the amount of first party characters more significant than him, and none of them have quite the same relation to Smash specifically as him. He's also very marketable at the moment as they're trying to revive Metroid, and Ridley's inclusion would help that a lot. Then you also have to factor in that we're likely to get more than just 3 newcomers this time due to the short time between reveal and release, and I think he pretty much has to be at E3, otherwise it's bust.

I don't get the notion that he'd be unlockable either, for the past two games the newcomers that are hidden until the end are either clones, not very marketable, or just less marketable than another newcomer from their own series. There always seems to be an idea that villains are going to be unlockables, but I don't think that's the case, the villains that have been so were for other reasons.

This is somewhat worrying me about the game coming out this year. theres a lot of characters i want that seem like they should be "E3 material" and if E3 happens and we get the usual like 3 newcomer reveals, im going to worry about so many characters and probably worry there arent any more 3rd party characters, cause i feel like those HAVE to be released at E3... excited, worried, impatient... far to many emotions, I need e3 to be here now haha

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't buy Elma (implied by the exoskeleton/'skell' in that Twitter post) being in the reveal trailer at all. I'd love to believe it but unless they're doing something with X then any number of other characters make more sense. Or maybe she's there to keep the Splatoon 1 Inkling company as a Wii U pal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Found these on gamefaqs. Probably fake.

First one I can't tell if that's Daisy or Peach with her Daisy-colored alt. Second one, uh, is that Zero Suit Samus or someone else?

I'm guessing fake too, but I expected rumors/leaks soon enough.

Oh, never mind. Fake indeed. Other questions still stand cause why not. :p

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A still platform in front of easily recreatable parts of BotW. Hardly difficult to fake, and I even have that K. Rool render saved. The Octorok balloon platform is a nice touch though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's bad when you can't tell if Daisy or Peach in her alt color.

God, they really need to give homegirl a makeover.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
The backgrounds in the two pictures look so much like screenshots plastered over them lmao

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just noticed there's three characters in that second shot.

Ridley?
Link?
And whose that over by the orby things?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Palutena is really great in concept and in her home series.

She really just needs a moveset overhaul and she'll be golden.
Sakurai did it with Pit, he could easily do it for Palutena after all, Kid Icarus is his baby.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
When I wake up and review this thread I better see a picture that says 72 hours remain...

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed there's three characters in that second shot.

Ridley?
Link?
And whose that over by the orby things?
It looks kinda like ZSS to me, I can't think of any other characters that it'd be
EDIT: It's Zelda, botw Zelda in her white dress

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah. I think it's suppose to be Breath of the Wild Zelda in her white dress/gown.

EDIT: JINX SWAMP. YOU NOW MAY NOT MAKE POSTS TILL JULY. THESE ARE THE RULES.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah. I think it's suppose to be Breath of the Wild Zelda in her white dress/gown.

EDIT: JINX SWAMP. YOU NOW MAY NOT MAKE POSTS TILL JULY. THESE ARE THE RULES.
Your rules suck more than that leak.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm just laughing that someone would think that Rool and Daisy would look good together.

K: Rool: Jesus, no wonder Bowser keeps kidnapping you princesses to make you his wife. By your size? I would have thought you were a giant reptilian creature as well.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8pow17/someone_is_playing_smash_bros_switch_right_now/

If this for real. I will not be surprised to see some leak's tomorrow. No way this stays quiet.
Am I the only one that imagines - if this is true - the Treehouse people locked in a house with no internet or phones and armed guards at every entrance to prevent leaks? LMFAO.

For me it was WFT...though that’s not saying too much since they were all awesome

Captain Toad...I got Inklings and Captain Toad is all I need left
The only think I like about WFT is that she praises the sun. Replace her with Solaire :troll: (Not that I care about that dude, I only ever played DSIII).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Also can we please hid any potential photo leaks in spoiler tabs? We are so close to the official reveal, I would hate for it to be spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom