• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You can finally rest. Hopefully this will be me after Ridley. Been flying that banner here for 12 years haha.
LOL I am still flying the banners for Toad/Captain Toad and Meowth/Alolan Meowth. If the leaks prove to be true, then I can finally rest and enjoy Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont in Smash.

See, I have really conflicting feelings with Ashley. As much as I think the character is cool, and as much as I like the WarioWare franchise, I really dislike that WarioWare is Wario's default costume in Sm4sh rather than Wario Land. I also really dislike that his moveset no longer incorporates the Wario Land shoulder bash. I really love the Wario Land franchise and it really hurts me to see it so under represented in Smash. So I end up leaving Wario Ware stuff out of my rosters in hopes that they move back in a Wario Land direction.
This is why I am still flying the banner for Wario… though not as high or enthusiastic as before. Wario Land 3 was the main reason why I started supporting Wario for Smash 2 (Melee) and Smash 3 (Brawl) in the first place. The Wario that actually got in Smash was not the Wario I was asking for. :4wario: can keep his current moves but :4wario2: needs to be his own character with moves from Wario Land games.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
LOL I am still flying the banners for Toad/Captain Toad and Meowth/Alolan Meowth. If the leaks prove to be true, then I can finally rest and enjoy Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont in Smash.

This is why I am still flying the banner for Wario… though not as high or enthusiastic as before. Wario Land 3 was the main reason why I started supporting Wario for Smash 2 (Melee) and Smash 3 (Brawl) in the first place. The Wario that actually got in Smash was not the Wario I was asking for. :4wario: can keep his current moves but :4wario2: needs to be his own character with moves from Wario Land games.
yesss Wario Land 3 was one of my favorite games as a kid... it was my second most played GBC game, just after Red Version. I have it on the virtual console on my 3DS and still play it sometimes. So solid. We shall fly the Wario Land banner together, my friend.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Warioland 4 was one of my favorite GBA games and one of favorite platformers overall. I am disappointed each and every day that Smash Wario is not that Wario.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Well she's a witch which has moveset potential and she's popular in both Japan and America (thanks to some localisation)

Personally I prefer Mona but hey, this isn't about me.
See, that’s the thing. I feel like all the Wario characters would be unique, and I always thought Mona and Jimmy T. were closer to “main” characters than Ashley.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
While Vergeben is at the forefront of the likelihood of Ridley becoming playable, don't forget that there were numerous rumors and teases that Ridley will become a playable character before him.
Heck I think it all started on Resetera when the mods of that site, who supposedly also have sources/info brokers of their own, were hinting at Ridley even before the March direct.
True but there's no proof he got this started from resetera though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While Vergeben is at the forefront of the likelihood of Ridley becoming playable, don't forget that there were numerous rumors and teases that Ridley will become a playable character before him.
Heck I think it all started on Resetera when the mods of that site, who supposedly also have sources/info brokers of their own, were hinting at Ridley even before the March direct.
One of them was. And resetera user Memoryman3 talked with him about it and they agreed the source may not be reliable.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
See, that’s the thing. I feel like all the Wario characters would be unique, and I always thought Mona and Jimmy T. were closer to “main” characters than Ashley.
I think the biggest thing Ashley has over Mona and Jimmy T. is her popularity compared to them. Plus, she appeared in the newest rhythm heaven game as a cameo, which I think definitely helps her.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The difference Ashley has is that she's very heavily present in various gaming media in Japan outside of Warioware. She's all over the place iirc. Nintendo Badge Arcade is full of her, she had multiple 3DS themes. Not to mention Smash 4 had her as an AT and a Mii costume. I personally consider her just a step below shoo-in status, but this is also under the belief that Inklings were the only shoo-in to begin with.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Huh, now that I think of it, didn't one of those trailers for Samus returns say something like "Smashers should pay attention"?

Perhaps Nintendo was the first leaker to hint at Ridley. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
yesss Wario Land 3 was one of my favorite games as a kid... it was my second most played GBC game, just after Red Version. I have it on the virtual console on my 3DS and still play it sometimes. So solid. We shall fly the Wario Land banner together, my friend.
I would feel consoled about the lack of a playable "Wario Land" Wario if we finally got some pre-WarioWare stages like Wario Land (Rice Beach + SS Tea Cup) and Wario's Woods.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Plus Ashley is as cute as a button! Who wouldn't want to play as her?

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Last edited:

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Honestly as long as the soundtrack is better than Sm4sh's and around Brawl quality then I'll be satisfied.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Huh, now that I think of it, didn't one of those trailers for Samus returns say something like "Smashers should pay attention"?

Perhaps Nintendo was the first leaker to hint at Ridley. :troll:
I think I remember that... which trailer was it again? Anyone got a link?

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
The best unexpected trailer? Have Smash Bros. at the start of the presentation and another new game later, for this example I'll use Captain Toad because he's my baby.

Replay the CT:TT port trailer. Except this time Toad wanders into a brand new area. It goes dark. He turns around.

EYE REFLECTION
I would love it if the entire direct was stuff like this.

Oh look a trailer for a Castlevania port
Why is it getting dark?
OH

It would keep people interested and on the edge of their seat the whole presentation.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
When it comes to Assist Trophies being upgraded to playable characters I feel like Ashley and Isabelle have the best chances. Well..probably Waluigi too but I still think Toad gets in before he does.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think the biggest thing Ashley has over Mona and Jimmy T. is her popularity compared to them. Plus, she appeared in the newest rhythm heaven game as a cameo, which I think definitely helps her.
While you're right, she's not the only WarioWare character who appeared in Megamix, so that's not exactly a point in her favor.

But Ashley has what we call Wolverine Publicity. As in, she's advertised even in games she doesn't appear in, because Nintendo knows people like her.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Good, it's not just me then, I don't remember which one it was either but I recall them calling out Smash for whatever reason, half the reason I brought it up was to make sure I haven't gone crazy lol.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
While you're right, she's not the only WarioWare character who appeared in Megamix, so that's not exactly a point in her favor.

But Ashley has what we call Wolverine Publicity. As in, she's advertised even in games she doesn't appear in, because Nintendo knows people like her.
Oh! I must haven't made it to that part of the game yet!

Oh! I was talking about when you go to the library/cafe, you can see an Ashley in the background sitting at a desk or something. I wasn't aware she or anyone else from WarioWare were in the actual rhythm games.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Are Ashley's black legs her having really long socks or are they her pants? I've never thought about this subject before... Hopefully the latter.

?????????????

Smash Master
So what I’m getting is that Ashley simply has much more fan popularity, which is a good reason...

...But why is she so much more popular?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

You know what extremely minor detail I’d like to see return?

The character damage meters like how they were in 64 and Melee, the character’s head being on top of their logo.

I also like how Melee and 64 used hand drawn sprites for the headshots instead of copy-pasting the renders.

Comparison: :mario64::mariomelee: > :4mario::mario2:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What I want to know is where's the Switch Wario Ware game? It's like, the perfect fit.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
True but there's no proof he got this started from resetera though
Oh I'm not saying Verg piggybacked off that, I'm just saying there was talks about Ridley since what seemed to be the very beginning.
One of them was. And resetera user Memoryman3 talked with him about it and they agreed the source may not be reliable.
Eh, I think that user is infamous for his obsession with Daisy

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
What I want to know is where's the Switch Wario Ware game? It's like, the perfect fit.

So what I’m getting is that Ashley simply has much more fan popularity, which is a good reason...

...But why is she so much more popular?
Because she's a warioware mage who has a good character design IMO. A lot of very cute/chibi character features with a twist that she's actually a witch.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Any more on vergeben or any other new leaks?

I see we're discussing Ashley. Did someone say she's in?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

That beat with Ashley is "hella lit". I also really want Ashley, but there is not a lot of room until Ridley is 100% (de)confirmed.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The reason I'm not that confident in Ashley is because there hasn't been a new Warioware game since 2013, and I think Warioware Gold came around too late to effect Sakurai's decisions on characters. I also worry Sakurai might just prioritize other Mario related characters over her, but that very well might not even be an issue. She is still really popular, (especially in Japan) Nintendo likes to promote her, and Sakurai seems to have enough interest in her to make her both an assist trophy and Mii costume. I also think she could have an interesting moveset.

That all said I'd probably place her in top 20 most likely newcomers.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't know... maybe she reminds people of Wednesday Addams?
I doubt it's that. Outside of being little girls with black pigtails.

Ashley wants friends, but is also a powerful witch who ends up scaring people.

Wednesday just wants everyone to leave her alone. She's pretty much extremely anti-social and likes to frighten people.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Good, it's not just me then, I don't remember which one it was either but I recall them calling out Smash for whatever reason, half the reason I brought it up was to make sure I haven't gone crazy lol.
It was in a bigger general Direct just before Samus Returns released.

The couple of times this has been brought up in the Ridley thread, we agreed it wasn't an actual tease so much as it was just acknowledging a fair amount of Metroid fans were introduced to the series from Smash itself. Though of course that tease at end didn't go unnoticed/wasn't shrugged off as a coincidence by most of us.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In terms of popularity, Ashley trumps them all.

However, if we're talking about characters of higher importance, I'd argue that Mona, Jimmy T, and 9-Volt should be chosen before Ashley, as they've been in WarioWare games since the very beginning.

The reason I'm not that confident in Ashley is because there hasn't been a new Warioware game since 2013, and I think Warioware Gold came around too late to effect Sakurai's decisions on characters. I also worry Sakurai might just prioritize other Mario related characters over her, but that very well might not even be an issue. She is still really popular, (especially in Japan) Nintendo likes to promote her, and Sakurai seems to have enough interest in her to make her both an assist trophy and Mii costume. I also think she could have an interesting moveset.

That all said I'd probably place her in top 20 most likely newcomers.
Ashley is popular, but WarioWare as a whole is pretty small compared to other games.

In a sense, WarioWare is in a spot similar to Yoshi's Island. Both are fantastic series in their own rights, but the characters from their franchises don't feel like they should be prioritized over the dozens of other "Mario" characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom