• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I figured I'd drop in with my new roster prediction before E3 rolls around.

The above list includes all characters I considered. The farthest left represents the most likely to be in the game, and the farthest right represents the least.

The characters are color coded to represent how confident I am in them.

Blue is confirmed.
Green is unsurprising.
Yellow is moderately surprising.
Red is very surprising.
Pink is extremely surprising.

Roster A assumes that the recent leak about Simon, Ridley, and Ice Climbers is false.
Base Roster Total: 73
DLC Roster Total: 78
Unique Newcomers: 12
Base Third Party Newcomers: 2
Overall Third Party Newcomers: 3
Clone Newcomers: 1
Returning Cut Characters: 2
Total Cuts: 0

Captain Toad: The newcomer I am most confident in, Captain Toad has appeared in every mainline Mario title since Super Mario Galaxy, and has now gotten his own spinoff game for Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. The character would be the first small-bodied heavy-weight and would rely on a good ground game and projectiles, but would have a lackluster recovery.

Dixie and Cranky Kong: This may be the most bold of my additions, but it can be substituted for the safer choice of solo Dixie Kong if that's preferred. However, I am going to make the prediction that Sakurai will take note of the demand for Dixie Kong and decide to add her with the mechanic he considered for Diddy and Dixie in Brawl. I am assuming that this mechanic is similar to the Ice Climbers, but with the two characters using joint attacks, reminiscent of the Ice Climbers' up special. For example, Dixie would hold Cranky for their up special as she twirls her hair, and Cranky would flail around, hitting opponents beneath them. The two characters would act as a single fighter with a shared percentage bar, but they could feasibly have a mechanic where one can be KO'd while the other lives on, but without the ability to do certain attacks. This would represent the team-up mechanics of the Donkey Kong series, and would offer a unique experience to players.

Sheriff: The oldest video game character of Nintendo, Sheriff would be the embodiment of Nintendo's early arcade roots. Having his trusty pistol, his horse, his rope, and other Western gear to battle, Sheriff would be a character that attacks from a distance. His gimmick would be his ability to angle his entire kit in eight directions, similarly to Fox and Falco's up-special. This hearkens back to his home game, which allow him to move and aim in eight directions simultaneously. Sheriff fulfills the historical/legacy character quota that Sakurai seems to have (Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt) and brings the first character of Shigeru Miyamoto into the esteemed world of Smash Bros. to duel with his descendants.

Ice Climbers: The Ice Climbers return as they were in previous games. I believe that they are the single most likely fighter to make it in who we haven't had explicitly confirmed.

Takamaru: After being considered since Melee, Takamaru finally reveals himself to the Smash Bros. crew, bringing all his abilities with him: Iaijutsu techniques with his katana, various types of shuriken, fireballs, a cloak of invisibility, and more. His play-style is extremely offensive, doing damage from a distance and killing up-close. He is also a master at deflecting physical projectiles with his sword, making him the ultimate projectile counter. His downfall is his mediocre recovery, poor grab-game, light weight, and difficulty killing from a distance, but he more than makes up for these with his speed, damage output, and powerful sword draws.

Ridley: While I fully acknowledge the risk of predicting Ridley, I suspect that Sakurai took note of the outcry when he was not playable yet again, and came back to revisit the idea of making him playable. While it's not a guarantee by any means, I hope that Sakurai has decided he can make Ridley work as a large, but light character who excels in the air despite his slowness on the ground.

Bandana Dee: Bandana Dee is a relatively simple addition to the roster, but manages to be an archetype we haven't seen - a small, lightweight spear user. Essentially a blend between Marth and Kirby, Bandana Dee attacks with stabbing motions that are most powerful at the spear's head. He excels at keeping opponents out with his disjoints, but he is extremely vulnerable up-close.

Wolf: Wolf returns essentially as he was in Brawl, but notably keeping a slow fall speed despite his above-average running speed.

Decidueye: While I'm not confident in any particular Pokemon character, I'm most convinced by this Ghost/Grass archer from Sun and Moon. A character that prefers sniping and precision shots over in-your-face attacks, Decidueye is remarkably adept at shooting projectiles from the air. He is fairly large and light, fast-falling, and slow on the ground, but his projectiles are capable of killing both up-close and from a distance. This Pokemon marks the first true archer in the Smash Bros. series.

Isabelle: The most lovable assistant you could ask for is a character I was initially hesitant on predicting. However, I've decided that Isabelle has a solid chance due to her extreme popularity among even casual fans. Isabelle acts as a terrain-modifying character - she uses furniture and public works projects to beautify her surroundings, including planting flowers that you had better not step on. Isabelle really doesn't mean to be hurting anyone, but she's a bit clumsy, dropping her supplies and not watching where she puts things. As a fighter, though, she's extremely good at forcing her opponents into situations that they aren't used to being in. Imagine Pac-Man's hydrant, but multiple large ones that can't be destroyed. She doesn't hit hard, but boy is she a great builder.

Alph: The only clone I actively expect. I imagine Alph playing similarly to Olimar, but with some key differences. Namely, Olimar is given his up special from Brawl, and Alph gets the Flying Pikmin as an up special. Further, while Olimar has Purple and White Pikmin, Alph has Flying Pikmin (who act like typical Pikmin, but go in a straight line when thrown) and Rock Pikmin (which have poor throws, but do amazing damage to shields.) Olimar's up-special needs to be improved significantly, but will not prove to be a nerf to him, as Pikmin numbers have been increased back to Brawl's.

Elma: I've mentioned several times before that I expect Elma to be added to represent the X side of the Xenoblade franchise, as Rex's game didn't come out until after the planning period for this game finished. Elma is a fierce fighter who carries dual swords and pistols. Speedy on the ground and with good air mobility, Elma's biggest weakness is taking hits, not dishing them out. She's light and has a below-average recovery, but hits hard, fast, and often. She could optionally be given an Overdrive mechanic; a meter fills up as time goes by and, when filled, can be activated to negate cooldown on Elma's moves.

Inklings: Do I really need to explain?

Bomberman: Given Konami and Nintendo's recent working relationship (Super Bomberman R) and Bomberman's modest popularity, I imagine we'll be seeing him as one of our third party representatives. That said, I'm not confident on him, as there's a lot of competition among third parties.

Rayman: Easily the most likely third party in my eyes, as Ubisoft and Nintendo have been closer than ever. Rayman being included only makes sense. He appeared last game as a trophy and has had his company working directly with Mario since then, producing several games in the Switch's first year. If he's not in, it's not due to Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship.

Spring Man + Rex: I'll group these two together, as they are DLC for similar reasons. Both are extremely popular characters from games that released after the character selection process had finished. They are prime for DLC.

Sora: While definitely a risky choice on my end, I've come to the conclusion that Sora was high on the ballot. I've talked with many, many casual friends of mine, and it's astounding how many of them voted for Sora. That said, I expect him to be DLC, as that would make negotiations easier with Disney. If he's paid DLC, then Disney simply takes a cut of the sales, which is easier to manage than figuring out a lump sum to pay for the rights to have him in the base game. That said, he's certainly not a lock, and I wouldn't be surprised to not see him.

Pokemon + Fire Emblem: I am not certain yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new protagonist of the 2018 Fire Emblem game and a new Pokemon being added as tie-ins for the release of the games, similarly to how Corrin was chosen.

Roster B assumes that the Simon leak is real and takes an optimistic approach to how many newcomers we're getting.
Funky Kong: A semi-clone with Donkey Kong as a base, Funky Kong would be an excellent choice for a late addition. I imagine Funky as a Donkey Kong that's slower on the ground and less grab-focused, but more powerful in the air and with a much better recovery.

Impa: While I could see Impa as a semi-clone, I don't expect her to be one. Rather, I imagine inspiration for her moveset being taken from both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild. Using her Naginata as a spear and either her Goron Knife or an Eightfold Longblade as a large sword, she would represent the two types of weapons in Breath of the Wild that Link does not currently use.

Snake: While I seldom put Snake on prediction rosters anymore, this is a notable exception. If Sakurai is indeed in contact with Konami for more than just a single character, which I imagine would be the case if Simon Belmont was included, then Snake could feasibly make it back due to fan demand.

Feel free to critique my roster, though please say why you have an issue with a given inclusion (/exclusion) rather than just stating what it is. Please keep in mind that my roster is simply the selection of what I think the most likely outcomes are, and that characters relatively high up on my newcomer pool in likelihood could also happen. I feel bad about excluding K. Rool, but know that there is a situation in which I can see that happening; I just don't think it's the most likely scenario to occur.

Also, the green characters are costumes, and are not really meant to be seriously critiqued. They're more ideas than anything :)
You didn't consider a Rhythm Heaven character?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Curious as to why Crash isn’t likely in your eyes.

I get that the success of his revival didn’t yet come to fruition between 2016 and 2018, but it WAS announced during that period, the hype that was generated by said confirmation of his return was insane, AND he’s like the last 90’s platforming icon not in smash yet. Crash was pretty close to Nintendo during the gba era as well and Activision and Crash in skylanders next to DK and Bowser may suggest something at least.

think he’d perfectly round out the Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and (most likely) Rayman “platforming legends” crew.

Edit: Also...what’s poppin bruh? Haven’t seen you since last smash speculation period lmao. I used to go by Pacman9 (back when I was...more embarrassing :secretkpop:)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I figured I'd drop in with my new roster prediction before E3 rolls around.

The above list includes all characters I considered. The farthest left represents the most likely to be in the game, and the farthest right represents the least.

The characters are color coded to represent how confident I am in them.

Blue is confirmed.
Green is unsurprising.
Yellow is moderately surprising.
Red is very surprising.
Pink is extremely surprising.

Roster A assumes that the recent leak about Simon, Ridley, and Ice Climbers is false.
Base Roster Total: 73
DLC Roster Total: 78
Unique Newcomers: 12
Base Third Party Newcomers: 2
Overall Third Party Newcomers: 3
Clone Newcomers: 1
Returning Cut Characters: 2
Total Cuts: 0

Captain Toad: The newcomer I am most confident in, Captain Toad has appeared in every mainline Mario title since Super Mario Galaxy, and has now gotten his own spinoff game for Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. The character would be the first small-bodied heavy-weight and would rely on a good ground game and projectiles, but would have a lackluster recovery.

Dixie and Cranky Kong: This may be the most bold of my additions, but it can be substituted for the safer choice of solo Dixie Kong if that's preferred. However, I am going to make the prediction that Sakurai will take note of the demand for Dixie Kong and decide to add her with the mechanic he considered for Diddy and Dixie in Brawl. I am assuming that this mechanic is similar to the Ice Climbers, but with the two characters using joint attacks, reminiscent of the Ice Climbers' up special. For example, Dixie would hold Cranky for their up special as she twirls her hair, and Cranky would flail around, hitting opponents beneath them. The two characters would act as a single fighter with a shared percentage bar, but they could feasibly have a mechanic where one can be KO'd while the other lives on, but without the ability to do certain attacks. This would represent the team-up mechanics of the Donkey Kong series, and would offer a unique experience to players.

Sheriff: The oldest video game character of Nintendo, Sheriff would be the embodiment of Nintendo's early arcade roots. Having his trusty pistol, his horse, his rope, and other Western gear to battle, Sheriff would be a character that attacks from a distance. His gimmick would be his ability to angle his entire kit in eight directions, similarly to Fox and Falco's up-special. This hearkens back to his home game, which allow him to move and aim in eight directions simultaneously. Sheriff fulfills the historical/legacy character quota that Sakurai seems to have (Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt) and brings the first character of Shigeru Miyamoto into the esteemed world of Smash Bros. to duel with his descendants.

Ice Climbers: The Ice Climbers return as they were in previous games. I believe that they are the single most likely fighter to make it in who we haven't had explicitly confirmed.

Takamaru: After being considered since Melee, Takamaru finally reveals himself to the Smash Bros. crew, bringing all his abilities with him: Iaijutsu techniques with his katana, various types of shuriken, fireballs, a cloak of invisibility, and more. His play-style is extremely offensive, doing damage from a distance and killing up-close. He is also a master at deflecting physical projectiles with his sword, making him the ultimate projectile counter. His downfall is his mediocre recovery, poor grab-game, light weight, and difficulty killing from a distance, but he more than makes up for these with his speed, damage output, and powerful sword draws.

Ridley: While I fully acknowledge the risk of predicting Ridley, I suspect that Sakurai took note of the outcry when he was not playable yet again, and came back to revisit the idea of making him playable. While it's not a guarantee by any means, I hope that Sakurai has decided he can make Ridley work as a large, but light character who excels in the air despite his slowness on the ground.

Bandana Dee: Bandana Dee is a relatively simple addition to the roster, but manages to be an archetype we haven't seen - a small, lightweight spear user. Essentially a blend between Marth and Kirby, Bandana Dee attacks with stabbing motions that are most powerful at the spear's head. He excels at keeping opponents out with his disjoints, but he is extremely vulnerable up-close.

Wolf: Wolf returns essentially as he was in Brawl, but notably keeping a slow fall speed despite his above-average running speed.

Decidueye: While I'm not confident in any particular Pokemon character, I'm most convinced by this Ghost/Grass archer from Sun and Moon. A character that prefers sniping and precision shots over in-your-face attacks, Decidueye is remarkably adept at shooting projectiles from the air. He is fairly large and light, fast-falling, and slow on the ground, but his projectiles are capable of killing both up-close and from a distance. This Pokemon marks the first true archer in the Smash Bros. series.

Isabelle: The most lovable assistant you could ask for is a character I was initially hesitant on predicting. However, I've decided that Isabelle has a solid chance due to her extreme popularity among even casual fans. Isabelle acts as a terrain-modifying character - she uses furniture and public works projects to beautify her surroundings, including planting flowers that you had better not step on. Isabelle really doesn't mean to be hurting anyone, but she's a bit clumsy, dropping her supplies and not watching where she puts things. As a fighter, though, she's extremely good at forcing her opponents into situations that they aren't used to being in. Imagine Pac-Man's hydrant, but multiple large ones that can't be destroyed. She doesn't hit hard, but boy is she a great builder.

Alph: The only clone I actively expect. I imagine Alph playing similarly to Olimar, but with some key differences. Namely, Olimar is given his up special from Brawl, and Alph gets the Flying Pikmin as an up special. Further, while Olimar has Purple and White Pikmin, Alph has Flying Pikmin (who act like typical Pikmin, but go in a straight line when thrown) and Rock Pikmin (which have poor throws, but do amazing damage to shields.) Olimar's up-special needs to be improved significantly, but will not prove to be a nerf to him, as Pikmin numbers have been increased back to Brawl's.

Elma: I've mentioned several times before that I expect Elma to be added to represent the X side of the Xenoblade franchise, as Rex's game didn't come out until after the planning period for this game finished. Elma is a fierce fighter who carries dual swords and pistols. Speedy on the ground and with good air mobility, Elma's biggest weakness is taking hits, not dishing them out. She's light and has a below-average recovery, but hits hard, fast, and often. She could optionally be given an Overdrive mechanic; a meter fills up as time goes by and, when filled, can be activated to negate cooldown on Elma's moves.

Inklings: Do I really need to explain?

Bomberman: Given Konami and Nintendo's recent working relationship (Super Bomberman R) and Bomberman's modest popularity, I imagine we'll be seeing him as one of our third party representatives. That said, I'm not confident on him, as there's a lot of competition among third parties.

Rayman: Easily the most likely third party in my eyes, as Ubisoft and Nintendo have been closer than ever. Rayman being included only makes sense. He appeared last game as a trophy and has had his company working directly with Mario since then, producing several games in the Switch's first year. If he's not in, it's not due to Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship.

Spring Man + Rex: I'll group these two together, as they are DLC for similar reasons. Both are extremely popular characters from games that released after the character selection process had finished. They are prime for DLC.

Sora: While definitely a risky choice on my end, I've come to the conclusion that Sora was high on the ballot. I've talked with many, many casual friends of mine, and it's astounding how many of them voted for Sora. That said, I expect him to be DLC, as that would make negotiations easier with Disney. If he's paid DLC, then Disney simply takes a cut of the sales, which is easier to manage than figuring out a lump sum to pay for the rights to have him in the base game. That said, he's certainly not a lock, and I wouldn't be surprised to not see him.

Pokemon + Fire Emblem: I am not certain yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new protagonist of the 2018 Fire Emblem game and a new Pokemon being added as tie-ins for the release of the games, similarly to how Corrin was chosen.

Roster B assumes that the Simon leak is real and takes an optimistic approach to how many newcomers we're getting.
Funky Kong: A semi-clone with Donkey Kong as a base, Funky Kong would be an excellent choice for a late addition. I imagine Funky as a Donkey Kong that's slower on the ground and less grab-focused, but more powerful in the air and with a much better recovery.

Impa: While I could see Impa as a semi-clone, I don't expect her to be one. Rather, I imagine inspiration for her moveset being taken from both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild. Using her Naginata as a spear and either her Goron Knife or an Eightfold Longblade as a large sword, she would represent the two types of weapons in Breath of the Wild that Link does not currently use.

Snake: While I seldom put Snake on prediction rosters anymore, this is a notable exception. If Sakurai is indeed in contact with Konami for more than just a single character, which I imagine would be the case if Simon Belmont was included, then Snake could feasibly make it back due to fan demand.

Feel free to critique my roster, though please say why you have an issue with a given inclusion (/exclusion) rather than just stating what it is. Please keep in mind that my roster is simply the selection of what I think the most likely outcomes are, and that characters relatively high up on my newcomer pool in likelihood could also happen. I feel bad about excluding K. Rool, but know that there is a situation in which I can see that happening; I just don't think it's the most likely scenario to occur.

Also, the green characters are costumes, and are not really meant to be seriously critiqued. They're more ideas than anything :)
How can somebody even consider an Omega Metroid... I get that it's listed in 'extremely surprising' but why?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You didn't consider a Rhythm Heaven character?
I did, actually. I just didn't have the icon for it. The series would go around the same column Rex and Spring Man are in. I never really bought the Gematsu leak, mainly because I never read Sakurai's comments to mean that Chrom was anything other than briefly considered before being dismissed. Couple that with the leaker predicting several dates wrong and I don't believe he had knowledge of anything other than maybe the initial group of Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. All the other characters that he guessed correctly were considered likely here (Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and Shulk).

I personally argue that, if a Rhythm Heaven character was added now, it would not be because the character was considered for 4. I could be wrong, but I am not convinced of the leak as someone who successfully predicted Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, Shulk, and Robin. (I also correctly predicted that Ivysaur and Squirtle would get cut.) If I can get that much right through speculation, then I have no reason to believe that the leaker had any information outside of the first E3 reveal.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Alrighty here's a little game:

If you were put in charge of Smash 5 and was tasked to add 20 newcomers, who would you pick? You may replace any of these with cut veterans.
Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  6. any of the four Champions
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
1. Captain Toad
2. Waluigi
3. Paper Mario/Luigi
4. Isabelle
5. Dixie Kong
6. Funky Kong
7. Impa
8. Sidon
9. Ridley
10. Viridi
11. Hades
12. Wolf
13. Ice Climbers
14. Lyn
15. Anna
16. Amy Rose
17. Bandana Dee
18. Crash Bandicoot
19. Spyro
20. Pyra/Miphra

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How can somebody even consider an Omega Metroid... I get that it's listed in 'extremely surprising' but why?
To my mind, it's that they are bipedal versions of the titular species and was the final boss of the final game canonically speaking.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Curious as to why Crash isn’t likely in your eyes.

I get that the success of his revival didn’t yet come to fruition between 2016 and 2018, but it WAS announced during that period, the hype that was generated by said confirmation of his return was insane, AND he’s like the last 90’s platforming icon not in smash yet. Crash was pretty close to Nintendo during the gba era as well and Activision and Crash in skylanders next to DK and Bowser may suggest something at least.

think he’d perfectly round out the Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and (most likely) Rayman “platforming legends” crew.

Edit: Also...what’s poppin bruh? Haven’t seen you since last smash speculation period lmao. I used to go by Pacman9 (back when I was...more embarrassing :secretkpop:)
I do not consider him impossible, but I do think he's extremely unlikely for the base game.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him as DLC, however.

(And nice to see you, dude. Hope you've been well.)

I know, I know. But the Metroid is the namesake of the series, and it was featured very prominently in Samus Returns when it was released. If any Metroid character other than Ridley or Dark Samus were to make it, I'm convinced it would be the Metroid. Admittedly, I meant to put the Zeta Metroid, but either one gets the idea across.

Speaking of, I totally forgot to put Dark Samus there, didn't I?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In no particular order, here's my list. Kinda hard to whittle things down and there's a lot of things that make sense to me and me alone. Like a real Sakurai roster.

* Captain Toad
* Dixie Kong
* King K. Rool
* Bandana Dee
* Ridley
* Dark Samus
* Wolf
* Krystal
* Eevee
* Gardevoir
* Ice Climbers
* Isabelle
* Dillon
* Spring Man
* Rex and/or Pyra
* Snake
* Zero
* Roll
* Ray Man
* Shantae

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I did, actually. I just didn't have the icon for it. The series would go around the same column Rex and Spring Man are in. I never really bought the Gematsu leak, mainly because I never read Sakurai's comments to mean that Chrom was anything other than briefly considered before being dismissed. Couple that with the leaker predicting several dates wrong and I don't believe he had knowledge of anything other than maybe the initial group of Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. All the other characters that he guessed correctly were considered likely here (Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and Shulk).

I personally argue that, if a Rhythm Heaven character was added now, it would not be because the character was considered for 4. I could be wrong, but I am not convinced of the leak as someone who successfully predicted Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, Shulk, and Robin. (I also correctly predicted that Ivysaur and Squirtle would get cut.) If I can get that much right through speculation, then I have no reason to believe that the leaker had any information outside of the first E3 reveal.
There is evidence in the games files that shows a Rhythm Heaven character was planned for the game. PushDustin himself found data for a Rhythm Heaven symbol in the character files.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

If you were put in charge of Smash 5 and was tasked to add 20 newcomers, who would you pick? You may replace any of these with cut veterans.
Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
  1. Phoenix Wright
  2. Ashley
  3. Isaac
  4. Rex & Pyra
  5. Joker/P5 Protag
  6. Decidueye
  7. Waluigi
  8. Takamaru
  9. Midna (with Wolf Link)
  10. Lana
  11. Ragna the Bloodedge
  12. Fiora
  13. Wonder-Red
  14. Sora
  15. Paper Mario
  16. Yu Narukami
  17. Chun-Li
  18. A decloned Dark Pit
  19. Lyn
  20. Viridi

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice

Imma go first:
If I was put in charge of Smash 5 I would be as selfish as possible, with no regard to fan demand (Unless it lines up with my own desires, of course), so:

1. Rayman
2. Ridley
3. Sceptile
4. Bandana Dee
5. Adeline
6. Monster Hunter
7. Captain Toad
8. Waluigi
9. Hector (Fire Emblem)
10. Zidane Tribal
11. Black Mage
12. Fiora
13. Pig Ganon
14. Skull Kid
15. Quote
16. Cuphead
17. Hollow Knight
18. Banjo & Kazooie
19. Some kind of rhythm based character. Could be from Rhythm heaven, could be from any other game like it, I just want to see the concept realized.
20. The Lost Vikings. Or Diablo. Or Tassadar. Really, anything from a classic Blizzard franchise would make me happy.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
My 20

1. Ridley
2. King K. Rool
3. Dark Matter Blade
4. Scorpion
5. Impa
6. Rayman
7. Decidueye
8. Dixie Kong + Kiddy Kong (using Sakurai's scrapped-for-time Brawl DKC switching mechanic)
9. Dark Samus
10. Medusa
11. Samurai Goroh
12. Isaac
13. Sukapon
14. Simon Belmont
15. Banjo-Kazooie
16. Crash Bandicoot
17. Andy
18. Ray 01
19. Takamaru
20. Chibi-Robo

This is not taking vets into account. If it is, lop off the bottom three and replace them with Ice Climbers, Snake, and Wolf. I had an honorable mentions section here too, but it got way too long and unwieldy haha.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Impa
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Meowth
  6. Samurai Goroh
  7. Slippy Toad
  8. Wolf
  9. Waluigi
  10. Isabelle
  11. Chibi-Robo
  12. Isaac
  13. Gooey
  14. Dillon
  15. Crash
  16. Spyro
  17. Bomberman
  18. Rayman
  19. Tails
  20. Vaati
Alternatively:
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Toad
  3. Toadette
  4. Hint Toad
  5. Yellow Toad
  6. Bank Toad
  7. Mail Toad
  8. Blue Toad(New Super Mario Bros.)
  9. Toadsworth
  10. Toadbert
  11. Mummy-me(the mummified Toad)
  12. Shroob(fake Toad)
  13. Slippy Toad
  14. Battle Toad
  15. Toadsworth the Younger
  16. Paper Toad
  17. Cat Toad
  18. Metal Toad
  19. Dr. Toad
  20. Baby Dr. Metal Paper Cat Toad the younger

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Impa
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Meowth
  6. Samurai Goroh
  7. Slippy Toad
  8. Wolf
  9. Waluigi
  10. Isabelle
  11. Chibi-Robo
  12. Isaac
  13. Gooey
  14. Dillon
  15. Crash
  16. Spyro
  17. Bomberman
  18. Rayman
  19. Tails
  20. Vaati
Alternatively:
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Toad
  3. Toadette
  4. Hint Toad
  5. Yellow Toad
  6. Bank Toad
  7. Mail Toad
  9. Toadsworth
  10. Toadbert
  12. Shroob(fake Toad)
  13. Slippy Toad
  14. Battle Toad
  16. Paper Toad
  17. Cat Toad
  18. Metal Toad
  19. Dr. Toad
I cannot believe that you left out the iconic and deserving Watoad and Pink Gold Toad.

Shameful :reverse:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Impa
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Meowth
  6. Samurai Goroh
  7. Slippy Toad
  8. Wolf
  9. Waluigi
  10. Isabelle
  11. Chibi-Robo
  12. Isaac
  13. Gooey
  14. Dillon
  15. Crash
  16. Spyro
  17. Bomberman
  18. Rayman
  19. Tails
  20. Vaati
Alternatively:
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Toad
  3. Toadette
  4. Hint Toad
  5. Yellow Toad
  6. Bank Toad
  7. Mail Toad
  9. Toadsworth
  10. Toadbert
  12. Shroob(fake Toad)
  13. Slippy Toad
  14. Battle Toad
  16. Paper Toad
  17. Cat Toad
  18. Metal Toad
  19. Dr. Toad
You forgot Mushbert. I thought you were a Toad connoisseur!!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I do not consider him impossible, but I do think he's extremely unlikely for the base game.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him as DLC, however.

(And nice to see you, dude. Hope you've been well.)

I know, I know. But the Metroid is the namesake of the series, and it was featured very prominently in Samus Returns when it was released. If any Metroid character other than Ridley or Dark Samus were to make it, I'm convinced it would be the Metroid. Admittedly, I meant to put the Zeta Metroid, but either one gets the idea across.

Speaking of, I totally forgot to put Dark Samus there, didn't I?
Yeah, thanks for reminding me about Metroid Samus Returns. I finished that game 2 months ago. Good game. I wouldn’t mind seeing a playable Metroid in Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My 20 character

1. Skull Kid
2. Bandana Dee
3. Ridley
4. Rex & Pyra
5. King Boo
6. Stylist
7. Spring Man
8. Parabo & Satebo
9. Decidueye
10. Isabelle
11. Captain Toad
12. Dixie Kong
13. King K Rool
14. Excitebiker
15. Chorus Kids
16. Dark Matter or Daroach
17. Midna
18. Crash
19. Lara Croft
20. Banjo & Kazooie

SirCamp

Smash Ace

Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
My list would probably be:

1. Isaac
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Captain Syrup
  5. Ashley
  6. Impa
  7. Tingle
  8. Andy
  9. Bandana Dee
  10. Rex
  11. Isabelle
  12. Viridi or Medusa
  13. Chibi-Robo
  14. Decidueye
  15. Mallo
  16. Takamaru
  17. Ice Climbers
  18. Goemon
  19. Bomberman
  20. Banjo & Kazooie

I would be fine with a number of others as well. Captain Toad, Spring Man, Ridley, Sylux, Layton, Shantae, Crash and/or Spyro, Wolf, Black Mage, Crono, Simon Belmont, Mona, other Kongs (likely Funky or Cranky), any Rhythm Heaven rep, Lip, Marx etc. the list goes on lol. Really most any reveals I would be totally on board with. Those are definitely my 20 most wanted though.

I will say though, that some 3rd party suggestions people make irk me a little. Not gonna name any of them lol, but there are a bunch that just don't make any sense to me and I'd personally prefer to keep the 3rd party numbers low.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Oh man, I hope you're ready for too many 3rd parties and individual franchises in my 20 newcomers:

1. Rayman
2. Shantae
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Dixie Kong
6. King K. Rool
7. Amaratsu
8. Captain Rainbow
9. Dillon [Armadillo(?)]
10. Bandana Dee
11. Spring Man
12. Tharja
13. Banjo and Kazooie
14. Sora
15. Crash Bandicoot
16. Spyro the Dragon
17. Travis Touchdown
18. Shovel Night
19. Pheonix Wright
20. Professor Layton

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
Let's see;

1. Dixie Kong
  2. Wolf
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Snake
  5. Spring Man
  6. Decidueye
  7. Yuri Kozukata
  8. Takamaru
  9. Bandana Waddle Dee
  10. Simon Belmont
  11. Matthew
  12. Chibi-Robo
  13. Mimikyu
  14. Lyn
  15. Squirtle
  16. Ivysaur
  17. Pichu
  18. Dillon
  19. Lip
  20. Bomber Man
I'd be over the clouds if 1/10 of this list will be true.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
01. King K. Rool
02. Ridley
03. Geno
04. Wolf
05. Ice Climbers
06. Young Link
07. Pichu
08. Squirtle
09. Ivysaur
10. Snake
11. Bomberman
12. Giegue
13. Black Shadow
14. Impa
15. Linkle
16. Ryu Hayabusa
17. Chrom
18. Viridi
19. Ashley
20. Parabo & Satebo

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice

Imma go first:
  1. Toad
  2. Paper Mario
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Midna
  7. Ridley
  8. Kamek
  9. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  10. Marx
  11. Wolf
  12. Pichu
  13. Squirtle or Ivysaur
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Captain Syrup
  16. Viridi
  17. Snake
  18. Shantae
  19. Sash Lilac
  20. Agnes Oblige
Well this is interesting. I'm just going to throw objectivity out the window for a moment if I get total control.
  1. Rex & Pyra
  2. Wolf
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Mimikyu
  5. Elma
  6. Dusk Lycanroc
  7. Waluigi
  8. Octolings
  9. Rabbid Luigi
  10. Mipha
  11. Ice Climbers
  12. Ridley
  13. King K Rool
  14. Monster Hunter
  15. Takamaru
  16. Sans (Even if the fanbase is beyond insufferable, I still loved the game)
  17. KOS-MOS
  18. Rayman
  19. Fiora
  20. Hades

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As an ARMs supporter I need to go back to someone likening the series inclusion in Smash to what happened with Inklings. The biggest thing to think about is Splatoon released roughly 8 months after Smash did. Arms will have been released over a year before Smash will.

A lot of people also point to Sakurai's comment about thinking about putting Olimar in Smash. Pikmin released a month before smash. A month.

These situations aren't a like at all and ARMS is in a newer situation than those other games. No one was going into Melee or Smash 4 hoping Pikmin or Splatoon would be in, meanwhile people are going into Smash Switch expecting Spring Man. Not saying any of this 100% confirms him, it's just that it is a new situation and isn't comparable to the arguements normally brought up.
To be fair, people also expected and wanted Mewtwo for the base roster of Smash 4.

I remember reading that some character from the Rhythm Heaven franchise was going to be part of the Smash 4 roster until it got scrapped last minute.
I don't think time is a factor for a franchise to be represented or not into Smash.
Not really a valid comparison since Rhythm Heaven was already an established franchise since 2006.

A splash of massive longshots, a dash of half chances mixed together with pure gluttony for DKC, Konami and third parties.
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Dr. Eggman
  3. King K. Rool
  4. Cranky Kong
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Beast Ganon
  7. Ridley
  8. Ruby /Sapphire/Emerald Pokemon Trainer
  9. Fulgore (Killer instinct)
  10. Scorpion
  11. Wolf
  12. Simon Belmont
  13. Bub and Bob (Bubble Bobble)
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Bomberman
  16. Rayman
  17. Snake
  18. Rash (Battle Toads)
  19. Banjo Kazooie
  20. Crash

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice

1. Elma
2. Dixie
3. Chibi Robo
4. Decidueye
5. Spring Man
6. Isaac
7. King Rool
8. Lyn
9. Captain Toad
10. Rex
11. Ice Climbers
12. Wolf
13. Isabelle
14. Chrom
15. Impa
16. Simon Belmont
17. Rayman
18. Tails
19. Crash Bandicoot
20. Lara Croft

So basically my signature with all my most wanted characters

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be fair, people also expected and wanted Mewtwo for the base roster of Smash 4.
I don't follow...I was just pointing out that Spring Man is a different situation than Inklings for Smash 4 and Olimar for Melee which I've seen him compared to. I'm not saying because people expect him that he will get in, just that it's not the same situation as those other new IPs.

Mewtwo had been around for over a decade and had already been in smash so obviously not the same situation lol.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
1. Captain Toad
2. Waluigi
3. Funky Kong
4. Thunderblight Ganon
5. Ridley
6. Bandana Dee
7. Mimikyu
8. Eevee
9. Diskun
10. Excitebiker
11. Alph
12. Inklings
13. Rex and Pyra
14. Wonder Red
15. Rayman
16. Simon Belmont
17. Snake
18. Ice Climbers
19. Wolf
20. Ivysaur

Zeox

Smash Champion
If I was Sakurai and I had to add 20 characters... well I guess first I should see what third party characters can I have, pretty much this would be the list, in no order, just the first characters that come to my mind:
1. Rayman
2. Crash
3. A new Fire emblem rep (never played any FE but after smash4 I'm sure that at least one new character will be added)
4. Porky Minch
5. Waluigi
6. Captain Toad / another second mario rep
7. King K. Rool (because of the ballot)
8. Ridley
9. Bandana Dee
10. Marx / Gooey / Dark matter / a second Kirby rep
11. Spring man
12. eevee / decidueye / a new pokemon rep
13. Black Shadow
14. Geno (also because of the ballot)
15. Medusa
16. Excitebiker (as the NES Classic rep of the game)
17. Dixie Kong
18. Krystal
Skull kid / Pig Ganon / a new Zelda rep
Shovel Knight / Shantae / an indie rep
I tried to add at least 1 new character of the original smash64 franchises + characters that i would like to see + characters that I don't care but I think should be added or will be added.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
20 characters, eh? Let me take a wack at this... this is in no particular order, just characters I'd be excited to see announced.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
  2. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  3. Paper Mario
  4. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
  5. Ridley (Metroid)
  6. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (ARMS)
  7. Shovel Knight
  8. Shantae
  9. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
  10. Issac (Golden Sun)
  11. Krystal (Star Fox)
  12. Rayman
  13. Decidueye (Pokemon)
  14. Midna & Wolf Link (The Legend of Zelda)
  15. Mach Rider or Excitebiker (Retro NES rep)
  16. Professor Layton
  17. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
  18. Chibi-Robo
  19. Bomberman
  20. Earthworm Jim

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
20 newcomers? GGEZ.

1) Isabelle
2) Captain Toad
3) Elma
4) Dixie Kong
5) K. Rool
6) Ridley
7) Ashley
8) Waluigi
9) Dillon
10) Monster Hunter
11) Geno
12) Simon Belmont (That vergeben thing has got me wanting him.)
13) Excitebiker
14) Skull Kid
15) Tails
16) Shovel Knight
17) Mimikyu
18) Eevee
19) Ice Climbers
20) Spring Man.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/03/02/famitsu309/

"Mr. Kamiya’s smile right here (laughs). Now, talking pre-Bayonetta and post-Bayonetta. That actually is what ended up happening. When you talk about stylish action games, Bayonetta’s the name that always comes up. But, I don’t think there’s been a game that’s surpassed Bayonetta yet, though."

Sakurai's perception on what he sees as icons for genres is certainly interesting. This Bayonetta article just blew my mind. I wish I had this article before she was confirmed as the final DLC character. This would have been a very helpful article back then, but it was translated months late. :p

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
20 newcomers thing, no particular order past #5

1.) Henry Fleming
2.) K. Rool
3.) Shovel Knight
4.) Waluigi
5.) Ice Climbers
6.) Tingle
7.) Rick & Kine & Coo
8.) Isabelle
9.) Balloon Fighter
10.) Mipha
11.) Hector
12.) Celica
13.) Wolf
14.) Skull Kid
15.) Mimikyu
16.) Dixie Kong
17.) Geno
18.) Porky (spider mech from Earthbound)
19.) Elma
20.) Qbby

maybe if I’m reeeeaal lucky I’ll get one or two of these characters... here’s hoping.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

"Mr. Kamiya’s smile right here (laughs). Now, talking pre-Bayonetta and post-Bayonetta. That actually is what ended up happening. When you talk about stylish action games, Bayonetta’s the name that always comes up. But, I don’t think there’s been a game that’s surpassed Bayonetta yet, though."

Sakurai's perception on what he sees as icons for genres is certainly interesting. This Bayonetta article just blew my mind. I wish I had this article before she was confirmed as the final DLC character. This would have been a very helpful article back then, but it was translated months late. :p
This is splendid.

That shows that Sakurai himself sees Bayonetta as an important video game character or even, dare I say, an iconic one in spite of all the whining we hear from naysayers.

Like I said, positively delightful.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I was the one who reminded you of it in my argument concerning Layton at his thread, please give some credit here!:troll:

But seriously, this is pretty notable.

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Not really a valid comparison since Rhythm Heaven was already an established franchise since 2006.
So, your point is that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 came out too late for Sakurai and his team to work them into characters?

I found this reasoning weird.
Sonic was allowed in Brawl by SEGA really late into development, and even though we can argue about the quality of his moveset, he still got into the game.
And while for him we don't know the actual time of his developing, we know that Bayonetta roughly took five months to get his own appearance and moveset in Smash 4.

Also, if we want to go even deeper, Greninja development into Smash 4 began way before X e Y's release to the public, and even though you could argue that Pokémon was already an established franchise, there's still the fact that Greninja's appearance and moves were still in beta while Sakurai was implementing him into the game.

ARMS and Xenoblade 2 may have even shared some development time with Smash 5, so Sakurai could've learned about their characters in advance.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Here are my 20:
1:Anna
2:Bandana Dee
3:Dixie
4:Marx
5:Henry Fleming
6:Capt. Toad
7: Paper Mario
8:Replace Charizard with Pokemon trainer
9:Jibanyan
10:Rex
11:Elma
12:Geno
13:Spring man
14:Tiki
15:Wonder Red
16: Rick with Kine and Coo
17:Mona
18:9-volt
19:Ryhtm girl
20:Rabbid Peach&Rabbid Luigi

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

This can be one of reasons Bayonetta was a "realizable" character.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sonic was allowed in Brawl by SEGA really late into development, and even though we can argue about the quality of his moveset, he still got into the game.
He was intended to be in Brawl, but SEGA was all like "nah" before changing their mind, seeing how huge Sonic's fan request was.

And while for him we don't know the actual time of his developing, we know that Bayonetta roughly took five months to get his own appearance and moveset in Smash 4.
DLC development schedule is more flexible. Also, Bayonetta was already an established character with two games by the time the Smash ballot was a thing.

Also, if we want to go even deeper, Greninja development into Smash 4 began way before X e Y's release to the public, and even though you could argue that Pokémon was already an established franchise, there's still the fact that Greninja's appearance and moves were still in beta while Sakurai was implementing him into the game.
This is the only example that actually works as an analogy, though keep in mind that a Pokemon X and Y newcomer was stated specifically to be the one exception to the Smash 4 roster being hard-locked as it was reserved a slot. The most favourable Pokemon game in terms of timing was X and Y, which was released in the sweetspot of ~one year after the roster was finalized but ~one year before Smash 4 was released.

There is no guarantee Rex and Spring man will be made an exception for Smash Switch. Could they? Sure? Will they? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom