• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I respectfully disagree, while I do think Fire Emblem's size related to the backlash, it was the jump in Fire Emblem characters that caught everyone's eye. Going from 2 to 6 was the big deal for a lot of people. Likewise, seeing Zelda go from 5 to 9 would catch people off guard and make the guardians easy targets for "why didn't x get in when y did" syndrome.

Every other comment regarding disatisfaction with the roster would be "Why can't DK get 3 reps but Zelda can get 9?" or "Why didn't Bandana Waddle Dee get in but all 4 guardians did?". Considering Fire Emblem also underwent a revival around the time of SSB4 but still got comments complaining about oversaturation, it is unlikely the champions would get a free pass from anyone other than the most die-hard Zelda fans.
Even with the revival games, FE's cumulative sales (which is what people care about when criticising FE) isn't anywhere as big as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda or Donkey Kong. Zelda is bigger than Donkey Kong in this regard and BoTW is one of the top 3 Switch games in sales, which is not something that can be said for FE Awakening and Fates in relation to the 3DS.

Zeds has always been an iconic Nintendo franchise since 1986 whereas FE only really got big relatively recently world-wide with Awakening and only had international releases since the early 2000's. For all these reasons, Zelda wouldn't get the same level of criticism as Fire Emblem.

Troykv

Smash Master
Guys honestly...never say that ANY Characters is a shoe-in or guaranteed. Whenever it's Wolf, K.Rool, Bandana Dee or I dunno who... Don't set up yourself to disapointment like that, and keep your expectations to a reasonable level... Because those "shoe-in" discussion is always what start Flammewars once they're deconfirmed.
There one excepction... even before Smash Switch was officially... when Smash Switch was pretty much a reality in all forms but actual reveal... every single person though that Inkling would be in Smash Switch, no matter what happened.... and that ended up being the case.

Outside of Inkling, this is probably the Smash with the hardest roster to predict.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wrong

- no king k rool: your actually wrong about king k rool he has the biggest chance yet for smash switch for for three reasons
1 the kremlings were in smash run
2 the mii costume of the king so shows he has heart for him
3 and this is the biggest reason the ballot he's probably number 2 on it based of the fan versions of the ballot he was number 1 on almost all of those and like I said 1/4 or half the newcomers will probably come from the ballot

And a rumor was this is going to be the best roster yet king k rool fits that easily
I thought people rightfully learned not to call K. Rool a guarantee after he was "guaranteed" for Smash 4, but here we are.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
There one excepction... even before Smash Switch was officially... when Smash Switch was pretty much a reality in all forms but actual reveal... every single person though that Inkling would be in Smash Switch, no matter what happened.... and that ended up being the case.

Outside of Inkling, this is probably the Smash with the hardest roster to predict.
Well, at least they got the blatantly obvious choice out of the way as soon as the new game is formally announced, so... that's one less thing to worry about I guess.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I said 1/4 or half the newcomers will probably come from the ballot
I think you're giving way too much credence to the ballot. Realistically, I think only 2-3 newcomers will come from the ballot. 4 at the most. Considering Smash's roster only goes up in size (Which I know will one day have a tipping point because we can't have a game with 100+ characters.), and the newcomer ballpark ranging from probably 13-20+ newcomers (post DLC.) 7-10 of those characters coming from the ballot seems like a stretch. 3-4 (which would be 1/4.) is way more believable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No

I'm just saying he has a much better shot than smash 4

I'm not saying he's guaranteed
And I definitely don't think he has any better shot now than he did then. When the Smash 4 roster was decided only Diddy and DK themselves were really relevant for Smash (Cranky had been a non-combatant up until that point so he likely wasn't on Sakurai's radar). But after Tropical Freeze, Dixie is back in the spotlight, Cranky is a playable character, and now with the Switch port even FUNKY is playable...while K. Rool has been MIA since Mario Super Sluggers, outside of his trophy cameo in Smash 4.

K. Rool is even more irrelevant now than he was in Smash 4, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he failed to make it in even if we got two DK newcomers.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think you're giving way too much credence to the ballot. Realistically, I think only 2-3 newcomers will come from the ballot. 4 at the most. Considering Smash's roster only goes up in size (Which I know will one day have a tipping point because we can't have a game with 100+ characters.), and the newcomer ballpark ranging from probably 13-20+ newcomers (post DLC.) 7-10 of those characters coming from the ballot seems like a stretch. 3-4 (which would be 1/4.) is way more believable.
I'm sure he was referring to the newcomers in the base game without taking into account DLC.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I thought people rightfully learned not to call K. Rool a guarantee after he was "guaranteed" for Smash 4, but here we are.
I do not like the revisionism about K. Rool that some people have. Pre-Brawl only Diddy was being pushed and desired by DK fans. K. Rool gained some momentum after his reveal but clearly too late for that game to be noticed.

Pre-Sm4sh they never did a poll. K. Rool started to gain traction throughout speculation. However, he was out of the loop due to his absence in Donkey Kong. The first time Sakurai ever knew about his popularity was during the ballot, and he acknowledged it with a Mii costume.

Now it is Smash Switch, and Sakurai knows he is wanted for the first time. This is leading to a lot of complacency by some K. Rool fans that he is in - not yet. This is his best shot for sure But there is a mountain to climb yet.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm sure he was referring to the newcomers in the base game without taking into account DLC.
Even then, half of a potential 13 newcomers on the base roster is 6-7 characters from the ballot. That just doesn’t seem plausible. 2-3, yeah.

I was agreeing with the 1/4, but not the 1/2 of newcomers coming from the ballot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do not like the revisionism about K. Rool that some people have. Pre-Brawl only Diddy was being pushed and desired by DK fans. K. Rool gained some momentum after his reveal but clearly too late for that game to be noticed.

Pre-Sm4sh they never did a poll. K. Rool started to gain traction throughout speculation. However, he was out of the loop due to his absence in Donkey Kong. The first time Sakurai ever knew about his popularity was during the ballot, and he acknowledged it with a Mii costume.

Now it is Smash Switch, and Sakurai knows he is wanted for the first time. This is leading to a lot of complacency by some K. Rool fans that he is in - not yet. This is his best shot for sure But there is a mountain to climb yet.
There was a huge push for K. Rool in Smash pretty much immediately after Brawl came out. It was already at a fever pitch when the game was announced in 2011, a full year before the roster was decided. And from the start people saw him as "a virtual guarantee," or at the very least, they did here.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
You better have a DAMN good reason for removing these characters, including my boy
Roy: too many fire emblem characters, and he is one of the currently least relevant to the series. Assuming they add a new FE character, they are likely to cut at least a couple, and Roy and lucina are the most likely as they are both, to some degree, marth clones. IMO, as the roster continues to grow, they are going to cut out clone-likes to make room for new-comers. Marth will stay because it's classic FE representation, but all the other FE characters are in danger of being cut, imo, with Ike being third most likely after lucina and roy. Robin and Corrin have unique enough move sets that they might be kept it, but that doesn't mean they are 100% safe either, imo. Plus, Roy already was excluded from the roster in 4 at launch.

Shulk: Rex is a shoe in, and idk if shulk is iconic enough to warrant not being replaced. That being said, I think of the characters I expect to be excluded, he is one of the least likely.

Toon Link: assuming they follow the trend of having 2 links, BotW Link and Classic Link are much more likely options. And, again, I expect a good number of the clone-likes to be cut in order to make room for new characters. If the roster keeps growing from game to game at the rate it has, the game will become impossible to balance. Anybody who gets cut has a decent chance to make it back as dlc, tho, if the community wants it.

Lucas: another clone-like. And again, as they try to trim the fat off of the roster in order to make room for new series, I just don't know if earthbound is relevant enough anymore to justify two slots, especially when, to the casual audience, Lucas doesn't seem all that different from ness

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree that there's not a pattern yet, but I think it's subjective to say there are concrete exceptions just yet either.

If we're looking at Zelda newcomers, for the moment I'm throwing more money into the Hyrule Warriors (Impa/Lana) pot rather than the BotW Champion pot. So yes, for once I'm taking Diddy Kong Diddy Kong 's side on Impa for once, for those of you who remember the 2011 thread. :smirk:
Good for you, we all grow eventualy :awesome:

Jokes aside, glad you see my point now. Am pretty sure we're not gonna see Lana however.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is Shulk the new Marth?

"We have a new protagonist, why keep the older character?"

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roy: too many fire emblem characters, and he is one of the currently least relevant to the series. Assuming they add a new FE character, they are likely to cut at least a couple, and Roy and lucina are the most likely as they are both, to some degree, marth clones. IMO, as the roster continues to grow, they are going to cut out clone-likes to make room for new-comers. Marth will stay because it's classic FE representation, but all the other FE characters are in danger of being cut, imo, with Ike being third most likely after lucina and roy. Robin and Corrin have unique enough move sets that they might be kept it, but that doesn't mean they are 100% safe either, imo. Plus, Roy already was excluded from the roster in 4 at launch.

Shulk: Rex is a shoe in, and idk if shulk is iconic enough to warrant not being replaced. That being said, I think of the characters I expect to be excluded, he is one of the least likely.

Toon Link: assuming they follow the trend of having 2 links, BotW Link and Classic Link are much more likely options. And, again, I expect a good number of the clone-likes to be cut in order to make room for new characters. If the roster keeps growing from game to game at the rate it has, the game will become impossible to balance. Anybody who gets cut has a decent chance to make it back as dlc, tho, if the community wants it.

Lucas: another clone-like. And again, as they try to trim the fat off of the roster in order to make room for new series, I just don't know if earthbound is relevant enough anymore to justify two slots, especially when, to the casual audience, Lucas doesn't seem all that different from ness
Roy was also brought back to the roster by sheer fan demand. He's by no means a high priority character but definitely not a character that developers will ignore his popularity. Also cutting clones (or semi-clones, in this situation) doesn't make room for newcomers.

Shulk won't be replaced by a character who definitely not a shoo-in. Rex is possible but Marth didn't replaced by Ike or Roy so why would Xenoblade have a rotating cast in Smash?

Toon Link still has lots of games and fans. Also I don't think making two Links with similar body types counts as cutting clones. Clones are just balanced to their counterparts so they are not a big work for balancing team.

For Lucas, again, roster size is not limited. Also to casual audience (like me), Ness and Lucas will look a lot more different than hardcore fans because they are different characters.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There is no such thing as a guarenteed character or shoo-ins. The closest we've ever been to one is the Inklings for obvious reasons, but even then nothing was ever written that they HAD to be in Smash.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Shulk is coming back, guaranteed. I'd eat my shoe if he doesn't. And Rex isn't exactly a "shoe-in".

The only shoo-ins, as stated, were Inklings. After them, who do we have? Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie, and Isabelle are who I think are the three next most likely, and even then they're nowhere near as obvious as the Inklings are. (No, I am not including things like "Xenoblade rep" or "Gen 7 Pokemon", there's too much discourse in those series. I just see these three as the most agreed upon)

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Shulk is coming back, guaranteed. I'd eat my shoe if he doesn't. And Rex isn't exactly a "shoe-in".
If Master0fHyrule is to be believed anyways, Shulk's Monado should be one star prop representing the Nintendo All Stars at E3, most likely to be associated to Smash. So it adds another layer of "safe".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And I definitely don't think he has any better shot now than he did then. When the Smash 4 roster was decided only Diddy and DK themselves were really relevant for Smash (Cranky had been a non-combatant up until that point so he likely wasn't on Sakurai's radar). But after Tropical Freeze, Dixie is back in the spotlight, Cranky is a playable character, and now with the Switch port even FUNKY is playable...while K. Rool has been MIA since Mario Super Sluggers, outside of his trophy cameo in Smash 4.

K. Rool is even more irrelevant now than he was in Smash 4, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he failed to make it in even if we got two DK newcomers.
This is a QUITE realistic scenario honestly. Am a very loyal K.Rool supporter and always will be, but I gotta be realistic about it.

And realism isn't a bad thing at all. As I would honestly be VERY excited just to have Dixie playable at this point, as I missed her enormously in Smash 4. Cranky and Funky would be great as well and awesome surprises.

My whole reason for supporting K.Rool has first and mostly been cause I felt the DKC franchise was heavily under represented. And K.Rool was simply the most interesting concept as a character. And definitely seemed more unique than 'another Kong'. But honestly, at this point, Dixie Kong definitely deserves it more than K.Rool.

And Dixie would honestly be an AWESOME addition that would translate really well as a character into Smash Bros. As a light weight grappler, there's a lot she could add what DK and Diddy cannot, and yet still be similar to both in a way. People should really warm up to her, as she might be all we're getting from DKC in regards to newcomers anyway.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

2 characters brought back via DLC due to fan demand from all across the Smash Community, the original protagonist/poster child of of Nintendo's growing RPG franchise, and a character that would fulfill the same purpose of having a "Classic Link" by having Link's original moveset, assuming Link's moveset will change to better represent BotW.

I think Sakurai will give more priority to Roy and Lucas this time around as far as trying to get them on the base roster. Even then, if they were DLC again, they would sell.

Shulk will most likely be back considering Sakurai loves the Xenoblade franchise, and Shulk would play differently from any other Xenoblade character, even Rex & Pyra.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dixie and Cranky have recent major playable game appearances (and the latter may be the closest we get to NES Scrooge McDuck in Smash) while K.Rool has the Ballot as a solid maybe and a Mii Costume as a "There is hope!"

That's my take away from it at least.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Dixie and Cranky have recent major playable game appearances (and the latter may be the closest we get to NES Scrooge McDuck in Smash) while K.Rool has the Ballot as a solid maybe and a Mii Costume as a "There is hope!"

That's my take away from it at least.
100% agree.

But assuming that some newcomers will be from ballot choices, K. Rool has a good fighting chance. But Dixie and Cranky have that relevancy that K. Rool unfortunately lacks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think the ballot may make Nintendo take note of K. Rool's popularity and convince Retro to bring the Kremlings back to the new games(not neccesarily as the villains but maybe an awkward team up between Kong and Kremling?) but I'm not seeing K. Rool on the starting roster for this Smash.

Maybe DLC. I mean if as many people voted him as we seem to think imagine all that sweet sweet revenue.

...unless you think the ballot won't be used for maximising profit, you poor naive individuals.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Remember, guys, K. Rool may not have been that high on the ballot.

I mean, he was high enough to get a mii costume, but so did Geno and Heihachi.

I remember everyone here being shocked that Bayonetta won the ballot, and I think its important to take that as a reminder that we don't represent the whole Smash fanbase.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I never understood why anyone considered K Rool a "shoo-in" back in smash 4, there was literally no basis for it lmao. Granted I'm pretty sure I said the same about Dixie but that was before learning about roster finalization timings and project plans and stuff. K Rool has always been in this odd boat of "it might happen, might not" with pretty even arguments on either side so why people considered him a shoo-in still baffles me.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Remember, guys, K. Rool may not have been that high on the ballot.

I mean, he was high enough to get a mii costume, but so did Geno and Heihachi.

I remember everyone here being shocked that Bayonetta won the ballot, and I think its important to take that as a reminder that we don't represent the whole Smash fanbase.
SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

As a K. Rool supporter this is my biggest fear.

It's going to be a toss up, but Dixie and Cranky would be great subs.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There was a huge push for K. Rool in Smash pretty much immediately after Brawl came out. It was already at a fever pitch when the game was announced in 2011, a full year before the roster was decided. And from the start people saw him as "a virtual guarantee," or at the very least, they did here.
There may have been a huge push on the forums, but they don't represent the "silent majority" of the fanbase so we can't really say how popular K. Rool truly is. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of the characters that scored high in various fan polls (such as Isaac) aren't actually anywhere near that popular.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dixie has always had next in line status over K. Rool.

The fact she was almost in Brawl with Diddy shows this. I fully believe that Sonic was the reason Dixie was cut from Diddy's mechanic, and then Sakurai kinda of felt odd about adding her on her own because he really wanted that partner mechanic for them.

Because the partner mechanic is a pretty important part of Donkey Kong Country after all.

So now I'm sort of in this weird place with Donkey Kong reps. I think Dixie has always been in Sakurai's thoughts, but K. Rool certainly is now as well. But now we also have Cranky and Funky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
100% agree.

But assuming that some newcomers will be from ballot choices, K. Rool has a good fighting chance. But Dixie and Cranky have that relevancy that K. Rool unfortunately lacks.
Honestly, King K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong AND Funky Kong are all deserving to be playable. Not all 4 of them all at once, but each has their own unique merrits that warrant playability in Smash. I wouldn't be upset if we got just 2 or maybe even 1 of these characters as a newcomer.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Dixie has always had next in line status over K. Rool.

The fact she was almost in Brawl with Diddy shows this. I fully believe that Sonic was the reason Dixie was cut from Diddy's mechanic, and then Sakurai kinda of felt odd about adding her on her own because he really wanted that partner mechanic for them.

Because the partner mechanic is a pretty important part of Donkey Kong Country after all.

So now I'm sort of in this weird place with Donkey Kong reps. I think Dixie has always been in Sakurai's thoughts, but K. Rool certainly is now as well. But now we also have Cranky and Funky.
It's such a toss-up. E3 can't get here fast enough. Hopefully will get a huge haul of information. I feel like Dixie is next in line for DK representation, but like you said, K. Rool is definitely had some light shined on him, but to what extent has yet to be seen. He got a Mii costume, but we'll see. Cranky would be a good choice too though, and I think one a lot of people sleep on. I mean, he is the original Donkey Kong after all. Unless I am mistaken.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's such a toss-up. E3 can't get here fast enough. Hopefully will get a huge haul of information. I feel like Dixie is next in line for DK representation, but like you said, K. Rool is definitely had some light shined on him, but to what extent has yet to be seen. He got a Mii costume, but we'll see. Cranky would be a good choice too though, and I think one a lot of people sleep on. I mean, he is the original Donkey Kong after all. Unless I am mistaken.
That is indeed true.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honestly, King K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong AND Funky Kong are all deserving to be playable. Not all 4 of them all at once, but each has their own unique merrits that warrant playability in Smash. I wouldn't be upset if we got just 2 or maybe even 1 of these characters as a newcomer.
Oh I would love Funky. I just think he may have missed his mark on the base roster. I could potentially see him as DLC though. (and honestly I want all 4 so DK can rise to 6 characters)

I'm hoping for two DK newcomers, but definitely expecting one at the very least.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
What's this about?
MoH has a source who works to set up E3 booths, supposedly this year’s design is Smash Bros themed, and features the iconic weapons of Smash characters.

He also said that Bayonetta, Shulk, and Duck Hunt are going to be shown at E3, though of course that’s not the full roster. He hasn’t said anything about newcomers.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh I would love Funky. I just think he may have missed his mark on the base roster. I could potentially see him as DLC though. (and honestly I want all 4 so DK can rise to 6 characters)

I'm hoping for two DK newcomers, but definitely expecting one at the very least.
I definitely think it's possible to finally have two DKC newcomers this time around.

However, I thought that was the case for Smash 4 as well. And I was severly dissapointed when that didn't happen.

This is why am more vocal about Dixie now, K.Rool already has a solid fanbase that has greatly established and I contributed to it already to my maximum, and I can't really deal with their toxic habits of putting down other DKC newcomers. Am a DKC fan first before a K.Rool fan, so I rather put my energy in pushing for other Kong newcomers as they hardly get mentoined beyond K.Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom