• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Just for fun, on the flip side... who is the least recognizable character you'd want in Smash?

Not necessarily unrealistic characters, just fairly underground / unknown ones. Takamaru is a good hypothetical example I think.

Mine would probably be Ray from the N64 Custom Robo.
Masked Man is pretty obscure (outside of intense smash speculation at least). Especially if they use the name Masked Man, please please use Claus.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
That isn't true at all, Lara is still a well known figure in the west in general, if she wasn't her last 2 games wouldn't have sold as well as they would. Lara is still an iconic character, if you ask a stranger on the street if they know who lara croft is chances are they'll say yes, the same can't really be said for cloud despite him being very well known in the gaming community, Lara is known outside of that as well. You're average non-gamer probably doesn't know who cloud is, they'll probably know final fantasy but not cloud tbh.

Kingdom hearts is more so known for the disney and final fantasy connection, not so much sora himself, and still Tomb Raider's sales eclipse Kingdom Hearts.
I don't think Lara Croft is as popular as you think. I have tried asking non gamers and they mostly don't know Lara Croft. They do however know princess peach much more often. I'm not saying that peach is as iconic as Lara Croft but it is just not true that the average non gamer knows who she is. Many younger gamers even don't know her.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Just for fun, on the flip side... who is the least recognizable character you'd want in Smash?

Not necessarily unrealistic characters, just fairly underground / unknown ones. Takamaru is a good hypothetical example I think.

Ayyyy more Ray love. I've yet to play the N64 CR but Ray would be great. He's my best friend's most wanted character too.

As for other less recognizeable picks, NiGHTS or Billy Hatcher are on my mind since I've been on a SEGA binge lately. Issac and Chibi would be cool too. It's funny how the older I get, the more obscure games I like to pull for these rosters. Nostalgia and expetience, I guess.

Also Geno

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Ayumi Tachibana and Isa Jo from Sin and Punishment 2. Both with great games (especially S&P2) that can offer unique gameplay. They’re also VERY niche.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If we're talking obscure characters, I'd love to see Mappy from Namco's old arcade game.

Honorable mentions go to Daitoryo, NiGHTS, Sheriff, Takamaru, and Spooky from Pac-Man World 2.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Bop-Louie from Ufouria, it's obviously way out there in terms of likelihood, but I'd be genuinly stoked to play as him in Smash.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well... Many of my most wanted characters (except Waluigi) aren't exactly very popular for the typical joe xD Micaiah4Smash BTW

I guess the answer and that question would be Adeleine.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice

The Lost Vikings

Never going to happen, nobody knows who they are, but I'd be ecstatic to see them.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well... Many of my most wanted characters (except Waluigi) aren't exactly very popular for the typical joe xD Micaiah4Smash BTW

I guess the answer and that question would be Adeleine.
Michiah would be awesome in smash. I really used to want her in the game to the point of making multiple different movesets, color alts, victory animation ideas and everything. I sort of gave up on her but it still makes me happy to see the support.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Here's a thought. If Smash for Switch was going to be a great game with no mechanic inconsistencies (tripping, rage, etc), fast paced for good competetive play, and well balanced.... Then Nintendo would not be able to make anymore smash games afterwards because why would anyone buy another smash game when the perfect smash game already exists? Here's what I'm saying:

Count on Smash Switch having some controversial mechanics, or characters, or whatever, because that is how the world or selling things makes money. Be ready.

Troykv

Smash Master
Michiah would be awesome in smash. I really used to want her in the game to the point of making multiple different movesets, color alts, victory animation ideas and everything. I sort of gave up on her but it still makes me happy to see the support.
It's understandable, it's hard to still be easy to support when you're overshadow for characters more relevant. I guess our saving grace this time is the lack of a obvious FE New Character, I mean, the closest thing to that is Celica, but is kind of iffy for several reasons you probably have heard.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Here's a thought. If Smash for Switch was going to be a great game with no mechanic inconsistencies (tripping, rage, etc), fast paced for good competetive play, and well balanced.... Then Nintendo would not be able to make anymore smash games afterwards because why would anyone buy another smash game when the perfect smash game already exists? Here's what I'm saying:

Count on Smash Switch having some controversial mechanics, or characters, or whatever, because that is how the world or selling things makes money. Be ready.
Sakurai doesn't design around sequels. Also, remember that there used to be a competitive scene for Brawl. That is to say, there were people who had played Melee who, upon Brawl's publication, said "This is a better game to spend my time on."

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

what that makes no sense. Why would they put in something that makes the game worse on purpose that could damage the brand? thats an ass backwards way of making a game

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

While I don't doubt the inclusion of some stupid mechanic, I also don't think one is required for them to make money in the future. Street Fighter games generally have standard mechanics, other than the addition of things like V-Trigger, yet people would still buy those sequels. If a new Smash game comes out, people are going to buy it. It's Smash Bros. It doesn't matter what the last entry was like, people are going to buy it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Doshin the Giant. But I flip flop between wanting him as a playable character and wanting him as a stage.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: I have been researching Octolings and came across this interview, which raised an eyebrow for me:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx?PostPageIndex=4

"In fact, we set out on the premise that we would not include clone characters with this work."

We might have gotten lucky with Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina being playable, but could Sakurai intentionally be not adding clone newcomers to prioritize every unique character in Smash Switch development? Could alt. to playable newcomer clones be the only way clones that could be in Smash Switch again?

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Topic: I have been researching Octolings and came across this interview, which raised an eyebrow for me:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx?PostPageIndex=4

"In fact, we set out on the premise that we would not include clone characters with this work."

We might have gotten lucky with Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina being playable, but could Sakurai intentionally be not adding clone newcomers to prioritize every unique character in Smash Switch development? Could alt. to playable newcomer clones be the only way clones that could be in Smash Switch again?
the link 404d, but i could see them trying this.

Troykv

Smash Master

That is right, outside of Roy (a DLC character under different rules) every newcomer and/or re-vamped character isn't a clone of other character; the Clone Trio it was lucky with the Alt thing.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Probably. I think Brawl having no true clones is a testament to how much Sakurai is trying to avoid specifically looking for potential clone characters when he decides the initial roster.

A character like the Octolings could still get in as a clone, but I doubt Sakurai would've planned for them to be that way. He'd probably initially have them as alts of Inklings before upgrading them to a playable character, like he did with the clone trio in Smash 4.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's understandable, it's hard to still be easy to support when you're overshadow for characters more relevant. I guess our saving grace this time is the lack of a obvious FE New Character, I mean, the closest thing to that is Celica, but is kind of iffy for several reasons you probably have heard.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I still support Michiah completely. I just don't spend much time on it anymore. She'd still be one of the most hype characters for me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Clone characters aren't usually ever intended to be in the games from the start. Usually they are extras that were built from characters that were already created for the game. In Smash 64, Luigi & Ness were built from Mario, Captain Falcon was built from Samus, and Jigglypuff was built from Kirby. They were then placed as extra, unlockable characters in the game.

Clone characters are usually a result of generosity. Wolf was an example of a character who was highly requested and only made it in because he could easily be built from Fox and there wasn't time to make another fully unique newcomer. Wolf got "lucky" as Sakurai said, just like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina. The only clone newcomer you could argue was intended to appear from the get-go was Lucas in Brawl.

This is partially why I don't find Dixie Kong particularly likely under normal circumstances. Rather we'd have to rely on Sakurai recognizing her popularity, and deciding to add her as an extra character built off of Diddy Kong if there is enough time. But, seeing as she would be vastly different from Diddy Kong, it would increase man hours much more than Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina would.

That being said. There are three clones I think could happen:
  • Pichu, because of requests.
  • Alph, because people were upset that he wasn't seperate.
  • Impa, because she is requested and might not work well as a Sheik costume.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
By the way, has anyone brought up the new Star Fox leak?

Sounds crazy, but nothing would surprise me after Mario+Rabbids. Although I must admit, if this turns out to be real, then I'll be a little confused as to why Nintendo chose Star Fox over F-Zero. Sounds like the perfect game needed to revive a dead franchise.

I don't know. At the very least, this could help Wolf get in Smash as DLC if he somehow misses the base roster.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Sounds crazy, but nothing would surprise me after Mario+Rabbids. Although I must admit, if this turns out to be real, then I'll be a little confused as to why Nintendo chose Star Fox over F-Zero. Sounds like the perfect game needed to revive a dead franchise.

I don't know. At the very least, this could help Wolf get in Smash as DLC if he somehow misses the base roster.
Not gonna lie I'm gonna be pissed if we get this instead of a brand new game from Platinum, hopefully we're getting a proper game too and this is just a bonus

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Starfox seems to be taking over all manner of things; Dinosaur Planet became a Starfox game, Project Guard became a Starfox game, and now F-Zero is becoming a Starfox game 8V

Not that I'd be against a game where I can annoy people further as Slippy.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon was built from Samus
iirc Falcon was built from a pre-existing Dragon King model before it became Smash Bros.

That aside, I really question the Star Fox Grand Prix leak, it definitely could've just been faked. Plus, why make a Star Fox racer when you could just revive F-Zero? I'm probably beating a dead horse with that statement, though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not gonna lie I'm gonna be pissed if we get this instead of a brand new game from Platinum, hopefully we're getting a proper game too and this is just a bonus
I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. It's supposedly going to adhere closely to the formula used in Diddy Kong Racing. I liked that game, so maybe I'll like this game too?

Roberk

Smash Champion

F-Zero has been dead for a while with its dormancy and how the last games sold. Star-Fox is still hanging on in terms of new games. It is easier to use Star Fox as it is a bit less volatile and more family-friendly than F-Zero.

I'm guarded with this leak as always, but there's nothing to really outright disprove it. It's a crazy leak but the unbelievable Mario+Rabbids came from a leak last year as well, reality can be weirder than fantasy when it comes to leaks.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Considering they put in Tails and Knucles as Mii costumes, I don't think the Mii costumes actually mean anything. Overloading Smash with 3rd parties is kinda pointless.

Troykv

Smash Master
Clone characters aren't usually ever intended to be in the games from the start. Usually they are extras that were built from characters that were already created for the game. In Smash 64, Luigi & Ness were built from Mario, Captain Falcon was built from Samus, and Jigglypuff was built from Kirby. They were then placed as extra, unlockable characters in the game.

Clone characters are usually a result of generosity. Wolf was an example of a character who was highly requested and only made it in because he could easily be built from Fox and there wasn't time to make another fully unique newcomer. Wolf got "lucky" as Sakurai said, just like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina. The only clone newcomer you could argue was intended to appear from the get-go was Lucas in Brawl.

This is partially why I don't find Dixie Kong particularly likely under normal circumstances. Rather we'd have to rely on Sakurai recognizing her popularity, and deciding to add her as an extra character built off of Diddy Kong if there is enough time. But, seeing as she would be vastly different from Diddy Kong, it would increase man hours much more than Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina would.

That being said. There are three clones I think could happen:
  • Pichu, because of requests.
  • Alph, because people were upset that he wasn't seperate.
  • Impa, because she is requested and might not work well as a Sheik costume.
I always found kind of interesting that Lucas is like the only clone character that was actually planned since the Day One, at appearantly would have replace the original one.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Missed some good discussions! :)

Mario > Pikachu
- Everyone and their dog knows Mario by name, and whereas it’d be super close, I think a good chunk of the world only know Pikachu as “that Pokemon guy”. Super close though.

Croft > Cloud
- I think hardcore gamers overestimate how popular Cloud is. He’s for sure an icon, but Lara has tons of games she STARS in, films made about her, and world records. My dad who hasn’t touched a game since Galaga knows who Lara is, but he’d have no idea about Cloud. Not that that’s undeniable proof, but I feel like outside of Japan Cloud isn’t nearly as culturally permeating as Tomb Raider.

Obscure Character
- I feel like some kind of lesser known Mario enemy, like Dry Bones, would be a fun character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I always found kind of interesting that Lucas is like the only clone character that was actually planned since the Day One, at appearantly would have replace the original one.
It's understandable. There's no way you could have gotten away with not adding Lucas in Brawl.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Oh please. That's just the Star Fox Guard logo with a line and some extra words below it.

Anyone can throw together a logo and waste some printer ink on it.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
That is right, outside of Roy (a DLC character under different rules) every newcomer and/or re-vamped character isn't a clone of other character; the Clone Trio it was lucky with the Alt thing.
Roy isn't a clone of Marth in 4. He's as much a clone of Marth as Ike is.

In Melee he was undeniably a clone. In 4 he plays as differently to Marth as Luigi to Mario and Lucas to Ness.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh please. That's just the Star Fox Guard logo with a line and some extra words below it.

Anyone can throw together a logo and waste some printer ink on it.

If I can shoddily throw this together in three minutes, someone with a bit of effort could make that leak in the exact same amount of time.
View attachment 144355
Evidently it lines up with what folks like Gamexplain had heard from insiders and whatnot, so there's some meat to it.

Regardless it doesn't really belong in a Smash thread.

Troykv

Smash Master

In Melee he was undeniably a clone. In 4 he plays as differently to Marth as Luigi to Mario and Lucas to Ness.
In Smash 4 there aren't even new Semi-Clones outside of Roy... that was my point, but I guess I explained my idea wrongly xD

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That is definitely not true. Moveset-wise Marth and Roy shares the same:
  • Down Tilt
  • Up Smash
  • Down Smash
  • Neutral Aerial
  • Forward Aerial
  • Back Aerial
  • Up Aerial
  • Throws
  • Side B
  • Down B
In contrast, Marth and Ike only shares the same Down B and down smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom