• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Frankly I don't know if I'll get a port of Smash 4 on the Switch if it doesn't have a substantial amount of new stages / single-player content that wasn't in the Wii U version. Maybe characters would swing it, but I don't think I'd be terribly excited about any of the likely new characters, and the Pokémon vets I'm still missing don't have a ghost of a chance of returning at this point. The real problem for me is that I don't feel like Smash 4 (especially the Wii U version) was very polished outside of the multiplayer, especially compared to Brawl, and if it's the multiplayer I'm interested in, all my friends and I already own the Wii U version.

But then again, a new version would probably end up having cut characters and coming out years from now, so I can see why the demand is for a port. I just hope that if that does end up happening, they can manage at least half of the kind of stuff in that leak. Local split-screen Smash Run and overhauled 3DS stages (Magicant) would totally sell me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I should start taking bets.

Straight WiiU port?
"Deluxe" WiiU port?
Combination Port?
"Deluxe" Combination Port?
Brand New game (with old engine)?
Brand spanking new game (New Engine, new shock absorbers, everything.)?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Straight WiiU port?
"Deluxe" WiiU port?
Combination Port?
Here's my bets.
  • If they announce it this year (not necessarily E3, but 2017 in general), Deluxe Combo Port
  • If they don't, brand new game

Last edited:

Straight WiiU port?
"Deluxe" WiiU port?
Combination Port?
I agree with The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn , if they announce it this year, I doubt it'll be a completely new game. If it's announced later, however, I think a new game is more likely.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I know it's weird, but I don't WANT a new Smash Bros next year. I just feel like it's too soon. If they released a new Smash Bros next year, I'd be really worried about the quality, since they usually announce it like 2 years before it's released. Melee was an exception to this of course, and was a great game. But there were a lot of bugs and glitches with Melee because it was so rushed. (Fans decided to embrace and exploit the bugs instead of complaining about them)

UserKev

Smash Champion
I know it's weird, but I don't WANT a new Smash Bros next year. I just feel like it's too soon. If they released a new Smash Bros next year, I'd be really worried about the quality, since they usually announce it like 2 years before it's released. Melee was an exception to this of course, and was a great game. But there were a lot of bugs and glitches with Melee because it was so rushed. (Fans decided to embrace and exploit the bugs instead of complaining about them)
It isn't. I feel the same way. Its ridiculous to me how people think a new Smash is even possible to be announced at E3. Nope, buddy.

I'd give it about 4 more years. Then, you'd feel it like, its going to be announced any day.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If it's revealed at E3: Port with all DLC, 3DS stages, and some new content.

If it's NOT: Then we sit here with our thumbs up our *****, and I spend the summer making movesets for everything under the sun.
Or we make movesets for the Sun.

Angry Sun moveset:

Neutral B: Fire Snake
The Angry Sun fires (ha!) a Fire Snake from his body.
This Fire Snake bounces around the stage until it falls off.
If the Snake touches the ground, a small fire appears.

Side B: Lava Bubble
The Angry Sun fires a Lava Bubble
Normally, it'd fly the length of Peach's Turnip, but if the Bubble lands in a fire, it grows bigger and keeps bouncing.

Up B: Magmaargh
The Angry Sun summons a Magmaargh below him that "eats" him before spitting him out upwards.

Down B: Hothead
The Angry Sun charges before releasing a Hothead.
The Hothead acts like the item, rolling over the stage, growing bigger if it touches a fire.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It isn't. I feel the same way. Its ridiculous to me how people think a new Smash is even possible to be announced at E3. Nope, buddy.

I'd give it about 4 more years. Then, you'd feel it like, its going to be announced any day.
If a new one is announced, it will be like how Smash 4 was "announced" at E3 2011, despite work not beginning on it until 2012.

That's honestly the only way I can see it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My thoughts exactly, pretty much. E3 or bust for the port.
I agree with the stupid unicorn, 2017 announcement if it's a port. I could see it not happening at E3 because, one, they might want ARMS to be out before they start with Smash, two, it's just a port, even if it is Smash, and three, should it be coming out in 2018, having it in a later Direct in 2017 still makes a fair bit of sense. They'll want something new for those directs. However if it's intended for a 2017 release, I would expect it to be at E3.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Now, if we do get a port, are they going to release a gamecube adapter again, or force everyone to use the Switch compatible controllers?

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Now, if we do get a port, are they going to release a gamecube adapter again, or force everyone to use the Switch compatible controllers?
Both. They'll leave it as is for a while so people will buy more pro controllers, and then after it's been out for a while they'll announce another GC adapter.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If a new one is announced, it will be like how Smash 4 was "announced" at E3 2011, despite work not beginning on it until 2012.

That's honestly the only way I can see it.
I mean, give me a list of new significant Nintendo characters, to be specific, that support a sooner Smash with how the roster is finalized before announcement.

I'll start it off with, a Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Splatoon rep.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, give me a list of new significant Nintendo characters, to be specific, that support a sooner Smash with how the roster is finalized before announcement.

The Smash 4 roster was finalised (Clones aside) in 2012 though, when Sakurai actually started development.

He didn't finalise it before he started working on the game.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Since when the 4chan can do fake news?

10 days left for E3 2017, who knows we will find answers about the Smash Bros for Switch.

Do you think that Nintendo is doing ports for Nintendo Switch like Super Mario 3D World and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse? Well, Nintendo Wii U was a disaster, at least, with cool games, the Wii U console tried to be more popular, but failed. It's like Sega Saturn and/or Sega CD. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

The Nintendo Switch is a thing to fix the mistakes for the Wii U.
The Switch console/handheld grow more than the 3DS.
Just my hopes and dreams for the Megaman Legends 3 for Switch.

When the Nintendo E3 Direct will start?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC Greninja was chosen from concept art alone and Sakurai lucked out in picking the one that'd become big.

Corrin was what the Dev team chose. Don't know why, it's like asking why that Smash Bros for Game Boy demake had Vaporeon as a playable character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I know you can't say this without being called salty but I actually found Corrin to be the least unique non-clone newcomer in Smash 4 despite Sakurai gushing over Dragon's Feign.

I get why he was picked but maybe he could've played the game and see Dragon's Vein was more than just "wooooo my arm is all dragony"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The sad part about Corrin is if/when an ARMS character ever gets added he/she'll lose their Longest Smash attack claim

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The sad part about Corrin is if/when an ARMS character ever gets added he/she'll lose their Longest Smash attack claim
To be fair that felt like a cheap tactic to make his weak moveset uniqueness stronger.
It just feels like a forced gimmick instead of something inherent to his dragon abilities like the range of the ARMS character is inherent to the extendable arm

Same with the pinning mechanic honestly.

I love Corrin in Smash but to say his amount of moveset potential was a once-in-a-lifetime chance is bs

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Pretty much what Medicant Bias said.

I don't necessarily think we'll get a new Smash sooner than later, but to go off of your question and making the assumption that Sakurai (or a possible new director) from early on was made aware of all the titles we know of thus far:

New Pokemon - From Sun & Moon or possibly even the Switch title depending on if there are more new Pokemon or if the significant Pokemon differ from Sun & Moon

New Fire Emblem character - From the unnamed Switch title or possibly Alm or Celica from Shadows of Valentia

Inklings - Splatoon was a great success and remains a popular new IP

Spring Man - Poster boy for ARMS, could possibly be included for advertising

Rex (I'm pretty sure that's his name, might be remembering wrong) - Protagonist of Xenoblade 2

New Pikmin character - We know Pikmin 4 is a thing and Alph almost made it as a clone. Though this suggestion is assuming Olimar doesn't return as the main protagonist. Otherwise, maybe it's an entirely new character, or maybe the Pikmin 3 crew will return and remain relevant.

New Animal Crossing character - A new Animal Crossing game on Switch is likely a given and Isabelle is pretty popular so maybe she'll get promoted as Mac did from Brawl to Smash For.

New DK character - Possibly/probably Dixie since the DKC series is back. It's also possible Retro is working on another we simply don't know of yet.

New Zelda character
- Given how successful BotW is, they could come out of left field and give us another Sheik situation where we get a one time character that'll never appear again.

New Metroid character - Sylux? Finally Ridley? Hard to say, but we know Metroid hasn't been abandoned yet, we just haven't heard about what's in the works. Maybe this'll be Retro's new project?

And lastly another Retro/Surprise character, another New IP character (since Nintendo supposedly has more in the pipeline) and another Third Party

And while not new, I could see the Ice Climbers and Wolf come back to round things out at 15 additional characters.

Everything after Rex and before the last 3 newcomers are all stretching it quite a bit but there honestly aren't that many big characters atm. We'll probably see some more possible contenders during E3, but unless the devs knew about those a long time in advance they likely wouldn't make it in as the roster is decided during the planning stages of development.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's stupid how Corrin has a sword that is like a chainsaw, but he only uses that property in one attack, the charge or Forward Smash, lol. All the generic sword swings could have been multihit attacks or something.

Also, why does female Corrin make weird sounds that are like orgasms when she attacks or techs? and why does Corrin sound like a 15 years old? XD

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I know you can't say this without being called salty but I actually found Corrin to be the least unique non-clone newcomer in Smash 4 despite Sakurai gushing over Dragon's Feign.

I get why he was picked but maybe he could've played the game and see Dragon's Vein was more than just "wooooo my arm is all dragony"
I don't think Sakurai had time to think out a fully fleshed moveset for Corrin. It's likely that Corrin was rushed to make room for the actual star of the end-game DLC show, Bayo. That's why some of their moves feel rather blasé when they could have been so much more.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I miss the days when the FE reps were just Marth and my boy Ike.
I for one welcome our new Fire Emblem over-Lords. :p

On a serious note, I actually like all the love FE got this time around. You can argue it was perhaps excessive maybe, but I'm just going to make the usual points.
:4robinf: was the one newcomer originally and an Awakening character was to be expected.
:4lucina: was a last minute clone so she didn't require much work nor did she affect the rest of development. She was a bonus along with :4darkpit::4drmario:
:4feroy:was DLC and a highly requested veteran.
:4corrinf:seems be to the character from which all the FE ire comes from due to being one of the last characters, sandwiched between the surprise/hype of Cloud, and the reveal of Bayonetta being not just a ballot winner, but the only ballot winner, meaning peoples hopes for other characters were swiftly dashed.

Perhaps I'm wrong to assume this, but I believe that if we'd gotten more than one ballot character, or if Corrin was added earlier on, I feel like the backlash would be a lot less pronounced.

That said, given Fates' recent release, Corrin's high and continually growing popularity in Japan, and the close proximity to the western release and FE's 25th anniversary (which is a point that was never addressed as a reason to why Corrin was chosen, but I still feel is worth noting) I think the timing of their inclusion was both the best in terms of Fire Emblem's situation and Sakurai's criteria, but also the worst due the situation regarding the end of new content for Smash.

To be fair that felt like a cheap tactic to make his weak moveset uniqueness stronger.
It just feels like a forced gimmick instead of something inherent to his dragon abilities like the range of the ARMS character is inherent to the extendable arm

Same with the pinning mechanic honestly.

I love Corrin in Smash but to say his amount of moveset potential was a once-in-a-lifetime chance is bs
I don't recall ever hearing Corrin's potential being referred to as "once-in-a-life time". Their window of opportunity to get in maybe, but the once in a lifetime comment was referring to Bayonetta getting in iirc.

Though as of now I think Corrin could still likely return in the future since Fates did quite well and the female Corrin continues to cement herself as one of the most popular new FE characters along with Chrom and Lucina.
It's stupid how Corrin has a sword that is like a chainsaw, but he only uses that property in one attack, the charge or Forward Smash, lol. All the generic sword swings could have been multihit attacks or something.
While I do like and continue to defend Corrin's inclusion I do agree with this completely. As Luminario said, I wager Cloud and Bayonetta took a higher priority and likely had more care/work put into them, leaving them a little short on time when it came to Corrin.

That said there were a lot of missed opportunities in how they could've done certain things with the character and I hope they receive a decent amount of changes should they return in the next game. For starters, get rid of the counter. Sakurai plz, just make less counters. This many is too much:
:4bayonetta::4myfriends::4palutena::4peach::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4feroy::4corrinf::4marth::4shulk::4greninja:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps I'm wrong to assume this, but I believe that if we'd gotten more than one ballot character, or if Corrin was added earlier on, I feel like the backlash would be a lot less pronounced.
People often set up their hopes at their highest for the final few characters, It happened with the final roster of Melee, Brawl and Smash 4, and it's usually the last few newcomers who get the most flack out of it as a result. Especially if their clones and/or surprise characters. Which is what most unlockable newcomers commonly are.

I suppose with DLC this could have been different since this was the first time we got DLC for Smash so anything was possible. But you would think that for the base roster, we kind of would have learned by now that Sakurai usually reveals the more highly requested characters earlier on and for the starting roster while he commonly leaves the less Unique/requested ones for unlockables.... (I mean, yeah, there are exceptions here and there such as Ice Climbers, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucario and Bowser.Jr etc but overall, that's usually the case.)

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I like Counters XD

I would be cool if Bandana Dee had one, he would act innocent and weak.

But then.

No, but really, I like them, except for Peach's and Palutena's, but that's because they are terrible, not because I don't like the fact that they are Counters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think Sakurai had time to think out a fully fleshed moveset for Corrin. It's likely that Corrin was rushed to make room for the actual star of the end-game DLC show, Bayo. That's why some of their moves feel rather blasé when they could have been so much more.
Like how the Chainsaw sword only got used in one real attack

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like Counters XD

I would be cool if Bandana Dee had one, he would act innocent and weak.

But then.

No, but really, I like them, except for Peach's and Palutena's, but that's because they are terrible, not because I don't like the fact that they are Counters.
Don't get me wrong, I like counters as well, but when we have 12 of them, I think we could stand to lose a few and give those characters new moves in their place. I'm in favor of keeping the one's that make the most sense to have like those on
:4bayonetta::4shulk::4greninja::4marth::4littlemac:

I think:4myfriends::4feroy:are long overdue for projectiles that they have in the FE games. :4lucina:I'd like to see get something else as well to differentiate her from Marth. :4corrinf:'s Counter Surge has got to be the one I loathe the most. There are a few different things they could use in it's place, I don't really care what so long as it's something different. :4palutena:just needs an overhaul in general. :4lucario:I'd like to see get something else like Bone Rush, though there are a ton of different options for him. :4peach:I don't know what to give, but it'd be nice if that poor Toad didn't have to be a human shield anymore. :p I'd take a new move for :4littlemac:as well really. Maybe a bob and weave special that let's him bypass projectiles if the opponent tries to camp him out.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I've found Peach's to be pretty useful. Palutena's though, that **** sucks.
I think that some counters shouldn't negate the damage of the attack they're countering, specifically the FE counters to reference how you take the damage in the FE game and then strike back. Greninja's counter should just give him like 5% damage cause it's Substitute.
Like how the Chainsaw sword only got used in one real attack
Exactly, though I was thinking of more wing and tail moves.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Don't get me wrong, I like counters as well, but when we have 12 of them, I think we could stand to lose a few and give those characters new moves in their place. I'm in favor of keeping the one's that make the most sense to have like those on

I think:4myfriends::4feroy:are long overdue for projectiles that they have in the FE games. :4lucina:I'd like to see get something else as well to differentiate her from Marth. :4corrinf:'s Counter Surge has got to be the one I loathe the most. There are a few different things they could use in it's place, I don't really care what so long as it's something different. :4palutena:just needs an overhaul in general. :4lucario:I'd like to see get something else like Bone Rush, though there are a ton of different options for him. :4peach:I don't know what to give, but it'd be nice if that poor Toad didn't have to be a human shield anymore. :p I'd take a new move for :4littlemac:as well really. Maybe a bob and weave special that let's him bypass projectiles if the opponent tries to camp him out.
I had an idea for Peach awhile back saying that she should blow a kiss instead of toad counter. The kiss would temporarily stun the opponent like Mewtwo's disable, this was before he came back though.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I had an idea for Peach awhile back saying that she should blow a kiss instead of toad counter. The kiss would temporarily stun the opponent like Mewtwo's disable, this was before he came back though.
Still, that's actually a really good idea. she blows a kiss to send out a heart in a few different games iirc, so it'd certainly fit. Maybe have it as a slow moving projectile that deals damage and lowers the amount of damage the opponent deals when attacking for a brief period. It could be to show that the kiss has softened them up/infatuated them.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'd certainly be happy with this sort of attack, she could create a small heart projectile in front of her. Her hearts have had a stunning effect in a few games and it's certainly in-character. I'd like the heart to just float out in front of her and be treated as a high-priority projectile to negate things like Samus' Charge Shot to keep it as a defensive move.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Worth mentioning that the reason most Fire Emblem characters have had counter moves is because counterattacks are such a major aspect of FE's combat system. If you attack an enemy, they will always be able to hit you back if their weapon is capable of it at that range. Roy and Lucina ended up with one because they're derived from Marth, while Corrin's was a way to have him/her go full dragon for more than just a couple throws.

That, and haphazardly slapping projectiles onto Ike or Roy would screw up their concepts and give them a way to just pester people at long range rather than use hard-hitting attacks at arm's length or bob and weave and look for punishes, respectively.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Worth mentioning that the reason most Fire Emblem characters have had counter moves is because counterattacks are such a major aspect of FE's combat system. If you attack an enemy, they will always be able to hit you back if their weapon is capable of it at that range. Roy and Lucina ended up with one because they're derived from Marth, while Corrin's was a way to have him/her go full dragon for more than just a couple throws.

That, and haphazardly slapping projectiles onto Ike or Roy would screw up their concepts and give them a way to just pester people at long range rather than use hard-hitting attacks at arm's length or bob and weave and look for punishes, respectively.
I get the reasoning behind it, especially with Roy and Lucina being clones, but I still think we could do with less counters whenever the next proper installment of Smash comes around. Ideally, I'd like to see them cut by at least half, but a third would be fine too imo. As for Roy and Ike, I think that's a fair point, but projectile or not, I do hope they lose the counters and receive some new moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom