• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, give me a list of new significant Nintendo characters, to be specific, that support a sooner Smash with how the roster is finalized before announcement.

I'll start it off with, a Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Splatoon rep.
To be honest there's a lot of cool characters in Nintendo that would really hype up a lot of fans.

And maybe they just gotta take a different approach than what's "relevant" or new, and just go for characters that are long wanted in Nintendo themselves.

I say this not just to promote King K.Rool, but he's a prime example. Throw in K.Rool, Toad, Midna / Tetra / Impa (latter two Hyrule Warriors style), Ganon, and some high popular Pokémon regardless of generation (Scizor, Blastoise, Blaziken, name it), Isaac, Lyn or any other highly popular Fire Emblem character- and that will give the game some hardcore base appeal. Smash shouldn't be alone about characters who are ever appearing, always present or promotion or have some certain 'newness factor' . It should also be about the characters most fondly remembered.

Also I say the more the merrier.

Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin where all made using assets of other characters. I'd take more of that honestly. But with characters I personally care about.

To name a few I just mentioned, I could break down a couple of them and say which characters they could use assets from.

King K.Rool- Bowser, and that's mostly cause of his new move set. Bowser Jr.'s Canonball is also more than welcome as a Neutral B! I mostly see Bowser as fitting cause of his aerials. 30-40% could be used as base.

Toad- Mario, and also Peach for Down B. Or even Neutral B.

Bandana Dee- Mix of Kirby and King Dedede, but mostly Kirby due to body shape. I just imagine Bandana Dee doing King Dedede's F Tilt with a spear... otherwise I guess it doesn't fit. His Waddle Dees could be used as a base model?

Blaziken- Captain Falcon, this makes too much sense. A semi clone would fit nicely.

Isaac- Robin, as I could easily imagine Isaac as a slower zoning type of character. Sword attacks could be loosely based on Link's or Shulk's. Or use Shulk in general, and instead of Monado Arts, let Isaac switch Djinni thus elements of his attacks. Lots is possible with Isaac and current Smash characters... even Cloud would fit, if only for his model.

Impa- Hyrule Warriors style? Then Cloud, easily. Anyone seen that mod of Impa over Cloud?! Anything fits outside of Limit Break. Which she could still sort of have, cause of Hyrule Warrior's battle gimmicks. Maybe it just activates the more she hits with her sword? Also, if Skyward Sword Impa is used, then Sheik obviously.

Alm- Shadows of Valentia is doing well I read. Use Marth yet again! The guy cannot be used as a base enough (dead serious, Marth is a good base for just about any FE Sword Lord).

I'm sure this would be a pretty doable job. I'd expect about double the time of development of the last 3 DLC characters for these.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie of course could be an edited Diddy model and borrow his A attacks (different specials though)
Yes exactly!

And Chrom would be an easy newcomer if Lucina gets some different moves from Marth. A shared slot for example. Still counts as a newcomer this way, Chrom's model Ian already in (and he supposed his chance would be another day...).

Then there's Wolf who's just obviously obvious.

Inkling could even borrow some Gunner moves as a base. I seriously think that Inkling Mii Gunner is the best fitting Mii Costume.

There's just a lot of popular characters that would be easy inclusions.

Let me just explain with a K.Rool Special Moveset for example.

Neutral B: Blunderbuss Canonball. Like Bowser Jr.'s, but slower. Could even take inspiration from Diddy's Peanut Popgun (especially the explosion part fits). If they use Diddy's, they could use the arc of the direction Diddy shoots a second a base to make cannonballs bounce.

Side B: Koopa errrr Kremling Klaw. Cause why not? Any sort of command grab would work honestly. If they used Bowser's Flying Slam as base it could still fit extremely well. Honestly, the move fits K.Rool better than Bowser.

Down B: Belly Flop. Crashes down with his belly into his enemies. If used on the ground, King K.Rool would play dead, and would be able to use his get up attack (as if knocked down) when pressing A.

Up B: King Dedede.... or what about a simple Barrel Canon? I also don't imagine that the helicopter pack would be hard to program..

Dixie?

She would need a new dash attack, that's a sure thing. Her Up B could also be borrowed from DK, who borrowed it from her :laugh:

Even if she'd borrow a few of Diddy's normal moves as most semi clones do... they could make her drastically unique by giving her her trademark helicopter spin by holding jump. She should be lighter and somewhat weaker and maybe slower than Disdy to compensate.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Smash 4 roster was finalised (Clones aside) in 2012 though, when Sakurai actually started development.

He didn't finalise it before he started working on the game.

Dude, you gotta watch those color texts. They can strain my sight. I hear you though.
Pretty much what Medicant Bias said.

I don't necessarily think we'll get a new Smash sooner than later, but to go off of your question and making the assumption that Sakurai (or a possible new director) from early on was made aware of all the titles we know of thus far:

New Pokemon - From Sun & Moon or possibly even the Switch title depending on if there are more new Pokemon or if the significant Pokemon differ from Sun & Moon

New Fire Emblem character - From the unnamed Switch title or possibly Alm or Celica from Shadows of Valentia

Inklings - Splatoon was a great success and remains a popular new IP

Spring Man - Poster boy for ARMS, could possibly be included for advertising

Rex (I'm pretty sure that's his name, might be remembering wrong) - Protagonist of Xenoblade 2

New Pikmin character - We know Pikmin 4 is a thing and Alph almost made it as a clone. Though this suggestion is assuming Olimar doesn't return as the main protagonist. Otherwise, maybe it's an entirely new character, or maybe the Pikmin 3 crew will return and remain relevant.

New Animal Crossing character - A new Animal Crossing game on Switch is likely a given and Isabelle is pretty popular so maybe she'll get promoted as Mac did from Brawl to Smash For.

New DK character - Possibly/probably Dixie since the DKC series is back. It's also possible Retro is working on another we simply don't know of yet.

New Zelda character
- Given how successful BotW is, they could come out of left field and give us another Sheik situation where we get a one time character that'll never appear again.

New Metroid character - Sylux? Finally Ridley? Hard to say, but we know Metroid hasn't been abandoned yet, we just haven't heard about what's in the works. Maybe this'll be Retro's new project?

And lastly another Retro/Surprise character, another New IP character (since Nintendo supposedly has more in the pipeline) and another Third Party

And while not new, I could see the Ice Climbers and Wolf come back to round things out at 15 additional characters.

Everything after Rex and before the last 3 newcomers are all stretching it quite a bit but there honestly aren't that many big characters atm. We'll probably see some more possible contenders during E3, but unless the devs knew about those a long time in advance they likely wouldn't make it in as the roster is decided during the planning stages of development.
That's some effort you put there. Thank you for that.
To be honest there's a lot of cool characters in Nintendo that would really hype up a lot of fans.

And maybe they just gotta take a different approach than what's "relevant" or new, and just go for characters that are long wanted in Nintendo themselves.

I say this not just to promote King K.Rool, but he's a prime example. Throw in K.Rool, Toad, Midna / Tetra / Impa (latter two Hyrule Warriors style), Ganon, and some high popular Pokémon regardless of generation (Scizor, Blastoise, Blaziken, name it), Isaac, Lyn or any other highly popular Fire Emblem character- and that will give the game some hardcore base appeal. Smash shouldn't be alone about characters who are ever appearing, always present or promotion or have some certain 'newness factor' . It should also be about the characters most fondly remembered.

Also I say the more the merrier.

Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin where all made using assets of other characters. I'd take more of that honestly. But with characters I personally care about.

To name a few I just mentioned, I could break down a couple of them and say which characters they could use assets from.

King K.Rool- Bowser, and that's mostly cause of his new move set. Bowser Jr.'s Canonball is also more than welcome as a Neutral B! I mostly see Bowser as fitting cause of his aerials. 30-40% could be used as base.

Toad- Mario, and also Peach for Down B. Or even Neutral B.

Bandana Dee- Mix of Kirby and King Dedede, but mostly Kirby due to body shape. I just imagine Bandana Dee doing King Dedede's F Tilt with a spear... otherwise I guess it doesn't fit. His Waddle Dees could be used as a base model?

Blaziken- Captain Falcon, this makes too much sense. A semi clone would fit nicely.

Isaac- Robin, as I could easily imagine Isaac as a slower zoning type of character. Sword attacks could be loosely based on Link's or Shulk's. Or use Shulk in general, and instead of Monado Arts, let Isaac switch Djinni thus elements of his attacks. Lots is possible with Isaac and current Smash characters... even Cloud would fit, if only for his model.

Impa- Hyrule Warriors style? Then Cloud, easily. Anyone seen that mod of Impa over Cloud?! Anything fits outside of Limit Break. Which she could still sort of have, cause of Hyrule Warrior's battle gimmicks. Maybe it just activates the more she hits with her sword? Also, if Skyward Sword Impa is used, then Sheik obviously.

Alm- Shadows of Valentia is doing well I read. Use Marth yet again! The guy cannot be used as a base enough (dead serious, Marth is a good base for just about any FE Sword Lord).

I'm sure this would be a pretty doable job. I'd expect about double the time of development of the last 3 DLC characters for these.
I agree with that. I actually stated this in another thread. Sakurai needs to cut that, this character needs to be in more than one game bs and make exceptions. So many potential characters are wasted because of this. Smash is becoming purely advertisement and its ruining it.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I've always been a bit puzzled as to why some characters were included (some 3rd party characters) and why some weren't.

Nintendo has a great selection of characters that a lot of people love, so I don't see why they shouldn't include some DLC in Smash Switch.

Personally, I'd like King K. Rool for Smash and maybe even some WarioWare or Rhythm Heaven characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's a couple of characters that he's cut before during development. Ice Climbers are the most recent examples.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm still working on figuring out if a tree falling in the forest with no one around makes a sound, don't put this on me.
If Villager uses Timber and there is no sound your TV is probably on mute.

Does that help?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm still working on figuring out if a tree falling in the forest with no one around makes a sound, don't put this on me.
It doesn't, because it doesn't need to. At least, why would it? I cannot imagine it would make a sound in a place where there are trees but no living inhabitants.

I mean, us humans aren't the only ones capable of hearing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It doesn't, because it doesn't need to. At least, why would it? I cannot imagine it would make a sound in a place where there are trees but no living inhabitants.

I mean, us humans aren't the only ones capable of hearing.
If this isn't a joke.... uh...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Does anyone want to have a go at guessing the WTF character in the next version of Smash?

My money is on Vince from Art Academy. No one will see him coming. He'll fight with paint and a brush, and use his palette as a shield.

I'm currently going through the trophies in SSB4U and he came up. I was like... oh that guy.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Does anyone want to have a go at guessing the WTF character in the next version of Smash?

My money is on Vince from Art Academy. No one will see him coming. He'll fight with paint and a brush, and use his palette as a shield.

I'm currently going through the trophies in SSB4U and he came up. I was like... oh that guy.
This guy. F-Type!

I mean, how much more WTF can you get than a living race car with eyeballs? Just for weirdness factor alone he'd be great, and possibly a fast heavyweight brawler. He'd be the answer to Sega putting the Hornet from Daytona in one of their fighting games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well Smash 4 blew it's load on WTF characters with the Wii Fit Trainer being the third revealed.

Going over the obscure and the unexpected characters in previous games...
64: Ness
Melee: Dr Mario, Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Marth (outside of Japan), Roy
Brawl: Pit, Solid Snake, R.O.B., Ivysaur
4: Villager (based off comments on why he was dropped last time), Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, most all of the DLC in one way or another.

My Guess, if we follow Wii Fit's example of games having high sales, if low visibility in the hardcore market... the Stylist from Style Savvy.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

Uniracer unicycle. That would... Not be forseen.

Other Options include: Tin Star, Any Joy Mech Fight character that ISN'T Sukapon, Doshin The Giant, Frank Jr. from Arm Wrestling, Pong/Color TV Game paddle, Tetris block, Nester from Nintendo Power, Sherrif, any character from NES Pro Wrestling, or a Fighting Polygon.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think the next step in left-field choices for WTF characters in Smash Bros. is going all in third party support. I'm totally expecting for the next game to be 50/50, let's say they add 20 characters, 10 of those are going to be third party.
So many great possible choices in there: Rayman, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, a Tekken rep, Ryu Hayabusa, a Shin Megami Tensei rep, a Yokai Watch rep.
They could even go to the western front of it to incentivate sales of western IPs on their console. Just imagine the difference in sales Skyrim could do based on the presence of the Dovakhin in Smash 5. Same goes for Doom Guy, an Assassin's Creed protagonist. It's no secret Fire Emblem became what it is today also thanks to Melee, so Smash could be used as a way to bring some third party on their console (deals like "Hey make your game for us too and we'll put your character in Smash Bros.). Which I totally think is what happened with Cloud and Final Fantasy 7 Remake even if that's not confirmed yet.
It's kind of a cinic way of thinking but nobody loses from this idea. We get awesome characters, they get money.

In reality though, in terms of "unexpected" additions, I'd go for survival horror. Smash Bros. desperately needs a character / stage on the vein of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame. Japanese horror IPs in particular I think would be pretty easy to transalte in Smash Bros., even if they're horror and gruesome they always have that element of ridicule and stupid that can be enhanced in Smash Bros. to edulcorate it a bit (like they did with Bayonetta). Resident Evil especially, I think you take out the blood and the game isn't going to be too extreme for Smash imho (especially the pre-7 ones).

PsychoJosh

Like Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, and a representation from a game which never even happened on a Nintendo console uh?
Not at all. Those games fit in WAY better than Asscreed or Skyrim. They're very stylized and cool. Bayonetta is a unique, charming, character-filled design that only truly passionate devs could've come up with, and MGS is heavily based on mecha anime. They both fit Smash like a glove. Nothing from those other games comes even close.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Saying Skyrim wouldn't fit is silly when we already have Legend of Zelda characters.
Look at what Link has and then look at everything the Dragonborn could have.

PsychoJosh

Saying Skyrim wouldn't fit is silly when we already have Legend of Zelda characters.
Look at what Link has and then look at everything the Dragonborn could have.

Skyrim isn't stylized and cute like Legend of Zelda is. There's leagues of difference between them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not at all. Those games fit in WAY better than Asscreed or Skyrim. They're very stylized and cool. Bayonetta is a unique, charming, character-filled design that only truly passionate devs could've come up with, and MGS is heavily based on mecha anime. They both fit Smash like a glove. Nothing from those other games comes even close.
MGS being based on mecha anime doesn't stop Snake from sticking out like a sore thumb though.

I don't see a reason why someone like Dovakhin or Ezio wouldn't fit in Smash, other than the possibility of Sakurai not contacting western developers for whatever reason. They're popular, iconic characters from well known games, and they'd bring unique styles with them.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Skyrim isn't stylized and cute like Legend of Zelda is. There's leagues of difference between them.
There really isn't.
Twilight Princess is very similar in terms of aesthetic and Breath of the Wild took inspiration from Skyrim.
Skyrim also has special kill animations that use a stylised camera. It's got style.

Again actually take a look at everything the Dragonborn can do and compare it to what Link does in Smash. There's a lot of similarities there whilst the Dragonborn would also bring in their own flair like the Shouts.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This reminded me of Mii detractors back in the day. Basically, only things that I like fit in Smash Bros. until they actually are added in Smash Bros. then I'll accept them and move on. An attitude that betrays a complete lack of imagination imho

Aren't horror games stylized too? All of them?

And to be honest, I don't like Skyrim and Assassin's Creed at all. I find them boring. But they could add an impressive new fresh style to Smash Bros., even from a gameplay standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Bayonetta is also an insanely sexualized character and has no eartly business in a game meant for the whole family like Smash.

And don't argue that Snake comes from M-rated games too because Snake himself doesn't affect that rating, unlike Bayonetta a.k.a. the chick who gets herself naked to summon giant fists and performs gruesome finishers that would make Mortal Kombat's dev team proud.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

There really isn't.
Twilight Princess is very similar in terms of aesthetic and Breath of the Wild took inspiration from Skyrim.
Yes there is, but if you really can't see the difference then it's honestly like trying to explain color to a dog (no offense). I can't really articulate it to you.

Zelda has a unique art style, for you to conflate it with "a stylized camera during kill animations" is rather hilarious. They're not even close to the same thing.

MGS being based on mecha anime doesn't stop Snake from sticking out like a sore thumb though.
Sure, but I was talking about his personality. Dovahkin and Ezio are kind of doormat personalities that don't really have much interesting about them. All the characters in Smash ooze personality and these two are specifically designed to be blank slates where the player imprints his own personality. Why else does Ezio wear a hood that obscures his face?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes there is, but if you really can't see the difference then it's honestly like trying to explain color to a dog (no offense). I can't really articulate it to you.

Zelda has a unique art style, for you to conflate it with "a stylized camera during kill animations" is rather hilarious. They're not even close to the same thing.

Sure, but I was talking about his personality. Dovahkin and Ezio are kind of doormat personalities that don't really have much interesting about them. All the characters in Smash ooze personality and these two are specifically designed to be blank slates where the player imprints his own personality. Why else does Ezio wear a hood that obscures his face?
There's a difference between Skyrim and Zelda's styles, but that doesn't mean Skyrim inherently doesn't fit in. Really, Skyrim's an iconic game of sorta and fits all criteria for Smash, fanmade or not. And I don't know **** about AC despite watching the movie (waste of time) but isn't Ezio a fanfavourite BECAUSE of his personality? And we already have characters in Smash with a lack of personality/seemingly lack of a personality. Hell, horror characters COULD work as long as they don't push the rating, even if I personally can't see them fit. Hell, MvC Wesker would fit in perfectly methinks

PsychoJosh

Bayonetta is also an insanely sexualized character and has no eartly business in a game meant for the whole family like Smash.

And don't argue that Snake comes from M-rated games too because Snake himself doesn't affect that rating, unlike Bayonetta a.k.a. the chick who gets herself naked to summon giant fists and performs gruesome finishers that would make Mortal Kombat's dev team proud.
I wouldn't argue that at all.

Instead I would argue that Smash isn't quite as innocent and wholesome "fun for the whole family" as you think it is. It's not a Mario game, it has its share of sexual and mature themes, it just downplays them. Bayonetta is heavily sexualized in her own game, sure, but in this game she's no more sexualized than Palutena or Samus in her fusion suit. At worst there is understated nudity in her Final Smash where the camera pulls away before anything can be seen other than her back. Being sexualized in her own game doesn't warrant her for exclusion. She exudes more than enough charm and personality on her own to be a welcome addition to this game, and that's the basis of the whole thinking process that goes into selecting characters for this game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
User was warned for this post
Weak argument. Saying Ezio doesn't have personality because he has a hood is like saying Miis don't have personality because they're completely customization characters. Ezio's personality is about him being mysterious and a rather unknown figure. Also, Ezio isn't the only Assassin's Creed rep in the franchise.
Leave it to Sakurai to add personality to the Smash characters. Wii Fit Trainer was nothing before Smash 4, arguably even the Villager. The fact that you don't like Elder Scrolls' style (I don't like it much either), doesn't mean it doesn't have it. Tell it to the millions of people who played it.

I would argue that Cloud is one of the least interesting characters, personality-wise, from Final Fantasy, but look at him go.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wouldn't argue that at all.

Instead I would argue that Smash isn't quite as innocent and wholesome "fun for the whole family" as you think it is. It's not a Mario game, it has its share of sexual and mature themes, it just downplays them. Bayonetta is heavily sexualized in her own game, sure, but in this game she's no more sexualized than Palutena or Samus in her fusion suit. At worst there is understated nudity in her Final Smash where the camera pulls away before anything can be seen other than her back. Being sexualized in her own game doesn't warrant her for exclusion. She exudes more than enough charm and personality on her own to be a welcome addition to this game, and that's the basis of the whole thinking process that goes into selecting characters for this game.
That... is actually a really good explanation.

Plus, the torture attacks aren't in Smash either.

And yet, I knew it's not as family friendly. I mean, you can throw Bob-ombs at children and dogs. :p

I would argue that Cloud is one of the least interesting characters, personality-wise, from Final Fantasy, but look at him go.
Cloud is also one of the most iconic character of the franchise, if not JRPG as a whole.

And he still has more personality than Ryu :p

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yes there is, but if you really can't see the difference then it's honestly like trying to explain color to a dog. I can't articulate it to you.
"I'm not going to actually explain my point to you because I don't have one"

Zelda's artstyle always changes. You can have cartoony Wind Waker and then next you get pseudo realistic dark Twilight Princess.
"Style" can mean many different things.
Specific Camera angles can contribute to style. Platinum's games are called stylish because of the combat.

Ezio
doormat personalities
specifically designed to be blank slates where the player imprints his own personality
So you're hating on a character you don't know anything about.
Ezio has a character arc that goes across multiple games and a short film.

Why else does Ezio wear a hood that obscures his face?
It's almost like he's an Assassin so he has to hide his identity or something.

All the characters in Smash ooze personality
:4mii::4gaw::4mario::4rob::4samus:
So much personality!
/s

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Also, you're saying that Bayonetta works because her sexualized characterization was downplayed, and I agree with it. Why can't the same thing happen with horror characters too? Leon Kennedy could easily become the new Snake, charming and cool-looking, but kind of goofy and ridiculous because of his moves (just imagine him doing a suplex to Mario). Sakurai is a master of this. I remember when Pac-Man wasn't viable because he was just a yellow ball eating balls... Just as I said, complete lack of imagination. Everything fits Smash Bros. if treated right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom