• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It doesn't exactly help when replay data is simply coding that replicates the match that you've played. Obviously, that uses much less memory than making a .mp4 video.
That's why I hope it isn't like that.... stop capturing replays by just simply putting in the coding.

And since Switch already has an album where you keep screenshots and videos....

This also means Albums won't be needed in game.

So is very safe to speculate is that Album will be removed in the game.

Last edited:

TB2

Smash Rookie
As long as my boy lucario is Ingame as a playable character like brawl and ssb4, im totally fine:4lucario: so i can :GCCR: and :GCR::GCB: and neutral :GCB: anyone on my way >:D

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Imagine working at the marketing team for Super Smash Bros, how boring it is;

-Boss Sakurai, we released the teaser! What do we do next?
-Nothing.
-What?
-Absolutely nothing.
-Oh, I got it, we'll do a website with daily news until E3!
-No.
-But people want to kn...
-Leave them in the dark.
-But, Sir...
-You're new around here, Bobby, right?
-Yeah?
-Well, I'll let you know that whatever we say, post, reveal, people are never happy. So the best way to keep our sanity is to reveal nothing.
-So, what do I do concretely?
-Go on 4chan and post stupid stuff.
-Will I still receive my check?
-Of course Bobby.

Two months passed, and there is nothing that really happened, except theories concerning when Sakurai started developement and a leak.
That's really cool that we still don't have a clue oh what will Smash V be. Now, will it result with amazement at E3 or huge disappointment? Wait and see.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Two months passed, and there is nothing that really happened, except theories concerning when Sakurai started developement and a leak.
That's really cool that we still don't have a clue oh what will Smash V be. Now, will it result with amazement at E3 or huge disappointment? Wait and see.
Well to be fair, the development timeline theories are more interesting than debates about if Captain Toad should jump or not:p

osby

Smash Obsessed
Probably a huge disappointment for people who want Ridley, Waluigi AND King K.Rool revealed... Joking, but I think it will be similar to previous one: Each new character will be either too expected or won't be a really cheered on one.

I'll keep my expectations limited to potential interesting newcomers and Inklings, not specific characters.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
How upset would you guys be if we got elma, and Rex as a last minute tweaked shulk clone? Tweaked as in, instead of his monado arts, his neutral b(or down b) was like blade change or something like that?

I feel like its an angle we never really consider because its probably not what the vast majority wants. But I could see it happening.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Probably a huge disappointment for people who want Ridley, Waluigi AND King K.Rool revealed... Joking, but I think it will be similar to previous one: Each new character will be either too expected or won't be a really cheered on one.

I'll keep my expectations limited to potential interesting newcomers and Inklings, not specific characters.
I think K.Rool may still have a good chance of being revealed.

To make his comeback in the newest Donkey Kong Country game.

How upset would you guys be if we got elma, and Rex as a last minute tweaked shulk clone? Tweaked as in, instead of his monado arts, his neutral b(or down b) was like blade change or something like that?

I feel like its an angle we never really consider because its probably not what the vast majority wants. But I could see it happening.
Rex as a Shulk clone would be pretty stupid. I mean it's not as bad as Ganondorf, but still.

Elma would be pretty cool though.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

What separates rex from shulk is pyra, without her as an icies typa situation/background element providing support, I really don't think he would be added

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'd laugh so much if in the future Sakurai himself states that C.Toad can't jump, or reassures that Ridley is too big, or says he picked Decidueye to finish the fire/water/grass starters. Not cheering for any of these, but let's face that it would be crystal meme-joy. What else would be funny if Sakurai uses as a argument?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
What separates rex from shulk is pyra, without her as an icies typa situation/background element providing support, I really don't think that would happen
I'm aware of what's different between the two characters. But that trait doesn't have to be repped by having them both on the field. It could very easily be like pokemon trainer. she could sit in the background of the stage, and encourage Rex. Or who knows, maybe we'll get pyra on her own.

The point is that we shouldn't just pigeon hole that character by saying "This has to be like this, because its what we decided is the best thing". If timing proves to be an issue to getting them in, I can definitely see Rex getting added as a last minute clone/semi clone to get around the original project plan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd laugh so much if in the future Sakurai himself states that C.Toad can't jump, or reassures that Ridley is too big, or says he picked Decidueye to finish the fire/water/grass starters. Not cheering for any of these, but let's face that it would be crystal meme-joy. What else would be funny if Sakurai uses as a argument?
"I already added two Mario characters this time, and because Donkey Kong Country is a Mario spinoff, I didn't want to overrep Mario."

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"I already added two Mario characters this time, and because Donkey Kong Country is a Mario spinoff, I didn't want to overrep Mario."
"The only reason I added in 7 Fire Emblem characters in Smash Switch is because, let's face it, it's the greatest Nintendo franchise of all time. Don't like my roster decisions? Eh."

"I don't base my decisions around Gen representatives. And Gen 1 is the best gen anyways."

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
"The only reason I added in 7 Fire Emblem characters in Smash Switch is because, let's face it, it's the greatest Nintendo franchise of all time. Don't like my roster decisions? Eh."
Greatest Nintendo franchise was Legend of Zelda in Melee.
Kirby and Star Fox in Brawl
Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem in Smash For

I wonder what's going to be in the next game.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Greatest Nintendo franchise was Legend of Zelda in Melee.
Kirby and Star Fox in Brawl
Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem in Smash For

I wonder what's going to be in the next game.
Mario and even almost Pokemon had just as many characters as Zelda in Melee. That game kind of just added to the major franchises of the time.

This is interesting though, no one really makes prediction rosters with the thought that "this game will be repped the most!" Everyone tries to balance it but that's not how it always goes.

I'd predict we could see 2 Mario characters again like last time, and maybe if you count dlc Pokemon could get a good number of newcomers to represent gens 7 & 8. Maybe Xenoblade will get Elma & Rex. (...or maybe Zelda will finally get some more characters and we'll get all the Champions XD)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Mario and even almost Pokemon had just as many characters as Zelda in Melee. That game kind of just added to the major franchises of the time.

This is interesting though, no one really makes prediction rosters with the thought that "this game will be repped the most!" Everyone tries to balance it but that's not how it always goes.

I'd predict we could see 2 Mario characters again like last time, and maybe if you count dlc Pokemon could get a good number of newcomers to represent gens 7 & 8. Maybe Xenoblade will get Elma & Rex. (...or maybe Zelda will finally get some more characters and we'll get all the Champions XD)
I was referring to the fact that Legend of Zelda jumped from one to (if you count Sheik) five. In Mario and Pokemon the jump was less drastic, but you are right, it's not too much of a difference.

I agree, the roster won't be "balanced", because even if everyone has the same idea about what that means, Sakurai seems too fond of bonus characters for this to be true.

I personally don't much of a problem with a franchise getting "too much" characters. Fire Emblem in the last game bored me slightly, but that's mostly because pretty much everyone has the same role in their games (unlike Wolf or Dark Pit). Though it's not something serious.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
"We already have the main three, so I'm never adding another Zelda character. Never again."

D

Deleted member

It seems you're already aware of the link between Driver and Blade, the affinity mechanic, and Blade Specials. I'll just ignore all the other smaller differences between them because let's be real, if Rex really was gonna be a Shulk clone they'd be hand-waved away or incorporated into the few differences clones have.

I just can't envision Rex & Pyra being a Shulk clone. Sakurai always makes sure he portrays characters faithfully. That's why Ridley hasn't been downsized into a fighter yet, and why all the clones we do have either make sense (Pichu, Dark Pit, Lucina, etc.), or still manage to stay true to character (Ganondorf & his Triforce of Power). The thing is that Rex & Pyra are a package deal. The entire premise of XC2's story and combat is the bond between Driver and Blade. Whitewashing Pyra from the gameplay, even if she's just doing nothing in the background, doesn't faithfully represent their link at all. We'd essentially be getting a character that was Rex in name only if Pyra doesn't help out by performing Blade Specials and strengthening Rex with an affinity link. I can't envision Sakurai of all people, who's a stickler for accurate portrayals, doing such a thing. If he really wanted Rex & Pyra in the game but couldn't add them due to time constraints they'd be pushed back to DLC.

D

Deleted member

"Every Zelda character outside of the Triforce Trio is unworthy of being playable in Smash."

"Bandanna Dee is a glorified generic enemy. He also didn't become a prominent figure until after I was done with the Kirby series, and I'm very biased towards my own creations."

"I'm not bringing Snake back because **** Konami. And you Castlevania/Bomberman/etc. supporters shouldn't get your hopes up either."

"Bayonetta won the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot among negotiable and realizable characters, only beaten by Shrek, Goku, Spongebob, and Cory. Next time, don't vote for unreasonable suggestions and then complain about how there was no way Bayo could've won."

Freduardo

Smash Champion
“I added Magnus because he was playable in the classic game: Kid Icarus Uprising.”

“I added Mike Jones from Star Tropics to try to do what Fire Emblem did in the west to Japan.”

“I added Mike Anderson from Battle Clash because of the super scope’s long history as an item in Smash.”

“I added Harry from Teleroboxer because virtual boy needed representation.”

D

Deleted member

Yoshi is defeitnly going to get cut because....
He committed tax fraud. :troll:
What about Smash Run?
Mmm.... Smash Run would not be bad.
I would prefer Adventure Mode, because I just like how free it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
To an extent, I thought that third party DLC was more prevelant in Sm4sh because it avoids effecting the rating of the base game (Like Snake apparently did and Bayonetta) and makes third party licensing/royalties easier to determine and distribute.

What do you all think?

Will we be seeing a rather hefty third party DLC sampling this time around?

Bonus Question: Any chance Ditto takes the “Random” slot? Easy way to make that feature into a character that makes sense.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Bonus Question: Any chance Ditto takes the “Random” slot? Easy way to make that feature into a character that makes sense.
Except Ditto doesn't randomly transform, it transforms into it's opponent. So they could implement it as an option to play as your opponent (or randomize one of your opponents in anything more than 1v1). But I don't know if there's really a desire for that so much that it would receive a spot on the CSS lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't get all the hype surrounding Bandana Waddle Dee. They just made him because they didn't have a fourth character for Return to dream Land. They just put a waddle Dee in a bandana and gave it the spear copy ability. It's like if in Mario 3d world for a playable character they took a goomba, slapped a hat on it, gave it a fire flower and called it hat goomba. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a detractor. I fully expect bandana Dee in smash and I don't mind at all. I'm just trying to understand.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't get all the hype surrounding Bandana Waddle Dee. They just made him because they didn't have a fourth character for Return to dream Land. They just put a waddle Dee in a bandana and gave it the spear copy ability. It's like if in Mario 3d world for a playable character they took a goomba, slapped a hat on it, gave it a fire flower and called it hat goomba. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a detractor. I fully expect bandana Dee in smash and I don't mind at all. I'm just trying to understand.
Well bandana dee has technically been around since super star, and then they gave him the spear and made him playable in rtdl. Plus he's cute and has a weapon that no other smash fighter uses, what's not to want lol

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
This place is an echo chamber that inflates people's thoughts about characters. This happens every speculation period. People build up hype, expect characters, they dont get in, and then they get disappointed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This place is an echo chamber that inflates people's thoughts about characters. This happens every speculation period. People build up hype, expect characters, they dont get in, and then they get disappointed.
Speculation is all fun and games until you start calling characters shoo-in. Inklings were the only ones.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A Goomba with a hat already exists as a character.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I've been getting into Melee recently. I'd love to see a balanced Pichu on the base roster. :upsidedown:

Not going to happen though...

Found my new main.
Pichu and Young link can honestly be kept imo, no thank you lol. I'd love for ivysaur and squirtle to come back tho, they were both really fun characters.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well bandana dee has technically been around since super star, and then they gave him the spear and made him playable in rtdl. Plus he's cute and has a weapon that no other smash fighter uses, what's not to want lol
I didn't know he was in super star. What did he do in that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom