• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So I would like to survey about third-parties to get some different perspectives:

1. Do you think all of the third-parties will be heavily determined by ballot results?

2. Do you think there will be special cases for third-parties to where demand is not a factor, such as Sakurai possibly working with Bandai Namco to negotiate a character like Heihachi?

3. In your opinion what are the chances of Smash Switch getting a Western third-party?

4. Is there a chance we will be seeing 3+ third-parties for this new Smash Switch game?

5. Which third-parties do you feel are in the brink of getting cut?

I would appreciate in-depth answers. :)
1) Yes and no. I think that if a specific third party is legitimately high enough, Sakurai may give them some thought, depending on the character. Shovel Knight is popular in NA & EU, but not Japan. Jibanyan is popular in Japan, but not in NA & EU. Characters in the former's situation I don't see having much of a chance, with characters in the latter's situation being a little bit more likely.

2) Probably. When it comes to characters Sakurai wants in, I don't think he really cares how much others want them in. Blowback from choices may make him reconsider, but I dunno.

3) If the Western 3rd Party has at least some popularity or knowledge base in Japan, than it's possible, but I wouldn't say likely.

4) Probably. Base roster had three, and all three are likely to return. Plus Bayonetta makes four. Ryu and Cloud may be likely to be cut, but if their contracts were made to cover the Switch game, then it's possible all six will stay.

5) Cloud returning is definitely uncertain, given just how little Sakurai could get from Final Fantasy. If Sakurai has to go back and renegotiate contracts and what not to bring him back to the Switch version, then it may not be worth the trouble. Ryu is the next most likely, I feel. Bayonetta, although still likely, may be cut as well. Then Mega-Man, then Pac-Man, then lastly Sonic.

D

Deleted member

So I would like to survey about third-parties to get some different perspectives:

1. Do you think all of the third-parties will be heavily determined by ballot results?

2. Do you think there will be special cases for third-parties to where demand is not a factor, such as Sakurai possibly working with Bandai Namco to negotiate a character like Heihachi?

3. In your opinion what are the chances of Smash Switch getting a Western third-party?

4. Is there a chance we will be seeing 3+ third-parties for this new Smash Switch game?

1. Possibly.

2. Possibly.

3. I think there are multiple factors to consider, like language barriers and the character's presence in Japan. Though the possibility is there.

4. As in 3+ third party newcomers? Possibly.

5. I feel Cloud is a bit on the iffy side due to Square being as stingy as they are. Anyone else getting cut is definitely a possibility, though I feel Pac-Man is a lock if Namco is co-developing this entry.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, new game:

Dillon’s Rolling Western, Pushmo, Ever Oasis, ARMs, 1080, Waverace, BoxBoy, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Nintendo Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Star Tropics, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Balloon Fight/Kid, Clu Clu Land, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Daigasso Band Brothers, Elite Beat Agents, Devil World.

Of these 23 Nintendo franchises... in this game... seven will get new characters.

Aaaaand name em

(Did you think of a Nintendo franchise I didn’t? Oh fine, take it from that)
7 Nintendo franchises, you say? Here are my picks.

Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven
Lip from Panel de Pon / Puzzle League
Spring Man from Arms
Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Toy-Con 02 (the robot) from Nintendo Labo
Track Meet (the athlete) from World Class Track Meet
Wandering Heroes (cats, dogs, and bunnies) from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II

D

Deleted member

1. Not really, as I'm still not too sure if the ballot was anything more than a marketing stunt. Time will tell, I guess.

2. Hmm...that's a tough one. On one hand, Sakurai seems like the kind of guy that does pretty much whatever the heck he wants, fanbase be darned. On the other hand, I don't think he completely ignores us; the fact he even acknowledged Ridley being heavily requested back in the day shows that he's at least somewhat knowledgeable about some of the fanbase's wants and is willing to listen. At the end of the day though, if he and Nintendo want that character in, they're gonna be in, no matter how much we may or may not like it, ha ha.

3. Pretty much none. The only one I can think of that would make sense is Banjo & Kazooie and the chances of that are pretty slim. Most of Smash's character picks are designed to appeal to Japan, baring the rare exceptions like Little Mac. I could see Crash making it in, however.

4. I could see it. They're easy choices for Nintendo as they drum up sales hype and potentially get people who weren't even considering the game before to look into it. Imagine if someone like Crash was in a fighting game with Mario and Sonic; that would make everyone lose their minds!

5. Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu and Bayonetta are the only safe ones here in my book. Sega has no reason to not let Sonic stay, Capcom won't resist leaving their boys in for marketing, and Bayo 3 is a Nintendo exclusive (plus Platinum and Nintendo have been super chummy for the last 5 years now). Cloud I'm positive is gone, as I'm pretty sure that was more Nintendo reaching out to Square than it was Square having any real interest, and Pac-Man's fate in my opinion is entirely up to whether or not Bamco's co-developing again.

EDIT: Just realized how silly it sounded to say western 3rd parties had no chance and then went on to talk about Crash. My bad, lol. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man are the only ones who would have to stay, the others will not.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

1. Up in the air really, hard to predict considering the last roster was bonkers.

2. Very possible but kind of specific to get a gauge on how likely.

3. It's possible. Though I would say on the lower end of the spectrum.

4. I'm gunna go with a hard no on this. DLC is another story though.

5. Cloud seems iffy but that's about it. Rest seem like they are too iconic or too closely knit with Nintendo to be shoved out.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man are the only ones who would have to stay, the others will not.
Unless you believe leaks, then Bayo is staying.

And if you’re already dealing with Capcom for Mega Man... why wouldn’t you grab Ryu?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd imagine Pac-Man is the next safest after Sonic honestly. He's Pac-Man. Kind of a big deal and I'm sure Namco aren't going to want him out the game even if they're not involved. It's not like Pac-Man's a nobody after all...

Freduardo

Smash Champion

1) Not all. The dev team preferences will also be taken into account because they’re making the game and that’s why we got Corrin. Plus you might get another Snake situation where it’s just someone knows somebody well.

2) Yes. Especially since Namco is working on the game, has many IPs, and Sakurai likes surprises.

3) 25%. Not all that likely, but not impossible by any stretch.

4) Yes. Of course there’s a chance. We saw 3+ in the last one.

5) Cloud? I mean really none, but Square and Nintendo can be chaotic. Could see him replaced by Sora, an FF character more synonymous with Nintendo, a number of things.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

1. Possibly. Honestly the bigger question would be which realistic 3rd Parties would have gotten decent results?
2. Yes. :snake:

3. Lower than Japanese characters but higher than Geno.

4. Possibly because it's happened before.

5. Bayonetta and Cloud. The former will return but whether or not she's on the starting roster remains to be seen (because ESRB) and the latter because Square Enix being Square Enix.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I’m pretty sure the ballot results will have some influence on Smash Switch.

Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man, and Ryu are probably safe. I don’t know about Pac-Man. Cloud is probably gone.

I hope we will get new third-party characters. My personal picks are Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, and Simon Belmont. There are more I want but I want those three the most.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265

And if you’re already dealing with Capcom for Mega Man... why wouldn’t you grab Ryu?
Capcom does not need two representatives in Smash, this is not Nintendo Vs Capcom.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pretty sure that Crash Bandicoot is not the most popular third party video game character/franchise in Japan.
As far as western third parties go Crash actually did pretty well in Japan, the first game came close to selling 1m copies, while the two sequels broke that barrier by a healthy margin, they generally made a significant effort to make sure the localizations would be successful. It's done pretty poorly since the original trilogy mind you, so it doesn't seem like it's got a huge following anymore, but it still did better than most western made third parties can claim.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

1. It's possible, we've seen with characters like Sonic that they can be added in response to popularity and I'm sure there were many popular requests for certain third party characters during the ballot. So if a few of them stuck out, then I think Sakurai could take a look at them, though whether they're chosen depends on what they bring to the table.

2. Also possible, Ryu and Snake weren't shown or stated to be demanded either when they were chosen, so Sakurai can add characters based on their own merits or ties rather then requests.

3. I think it's possible, especially if they have a good amount of presence in Japan.

4. With DLC yes, base game depends on what the direction is for the newcomers in this game.

5. If I had to make a guess, Cloud would be the one I'd pick.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Capcom does not need two representatives in Smash, this is not Nintendo Vs Capcom.
Ryu and Mega Man are not in Smash because Capcom needs more than one represantative, it's because they are iconic characters on their fields.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
1) Not all. The dev team preferences will also be taken into account because they’re making the game and that’s why we got Corrin. Plus you might get another Snake situation where it’s just someone knows somebody well.

2) Yes. Especially since Namco is working on the game, has many IPs, and Sakurai likes surprises.

3) 25%. Not all that likely, but not impossible by any stretch.

4) Yes. Of course there’s a chance. We saw 3+ in the last one.

5) Cloud? I mean really none, but Square and Nintendo can be chaotic. Could see him replaced by Sora, an FF character more synonymous with Nintendo, a number of things.
Sora’s copyright would be worse, since he’s owned by Disney.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Kind of hard to, since Ryu and MegaMan aren't owned by the same division. You're going to different companies either way. No package deal, etc.

Though both should definitely come back regardless. They're very fun and iconic options~

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think it goes a little further than just "Capcom" though.

Megaman is a very popular character that had many games on the NES and Nintendo Systems in general.

Ryu is a big face when it comes to fighting games in general, and has appeared in tons of crossovers in the past. He is also popular.

Yeah, they're both from Capcom, but there's more to them than just being, "Characters who happen to be from the company known as Capcom."

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

1. There's a chance. Sakurai's big on pleasing the fans first.

2. It's possible, but only to defy expectations to create a positive reaction.

3. Very little. The western-third party choices are very limited, and I think Minecraft Steve would be seen as a poor choice by Sakurai.

4. See above.

Cloud will be the Snake of SSB4.
In order of "likely to be cut", Cloud >>>> Mega Man > Ryu > PAC-MAN > Sonic > Bayonetta.

I'm betting Cloud is cut, Mega Man and Ryu are not likey to be cut, PAC-MAN has Miyamoto support, Sonic has tenure, and Bayo is practically a Nintendo franchise by this point.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I think Cloud only thought about putting Sakurai to be happy with his Geno costume, because really that was the only explanation I see him because this Cloud in Smash, besides supposedly by the Ballot xD

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think Cloud only thought about putting Sakurai to be happy with his Geno costume, because really that was the only explanation I see him because this Cloud in Smash, besides supposedly by the Ballot xD
Wait, what?

Uh, are you saying that Sakurai only put Cloud in because he couldn't get the rights to Geno?

I don't understand what you're saying.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cloud was put in as a representation of Final Fantasy(though clearly focused on 7) because he's the most popular and most iconic of the characters in the series, as well as being the most known 3rd party rpg protagonist.

The Geno costume is an extra bonus that he was lucky to get, and if we're luckier this game, he could even potentially be a playable character too.

Geno was not at all why he went after Cloud, and he has never mentioned any of that, just only what I said above. In his actual interviews.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how people (in general, not specifically just people here) would react if we got no Western third-party characters in Smash Switch?

Also, Cloud is no less likely to be cut than Ryu since the only reason (that wouldn't have prevented them from being playable in the first place) they could possibly be cut is if Sakurai didn't want them in Smash Switch.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Well, I've finished gathering all of your stage suggestions - 152 in total!

Here are the top 20 most frequently submitted stage ideas:
Number one is - no surprise - New Donk City, from Super Mario Odyssey.
Coming in second place is the long-awaited Bowser's Castle stage.
The third and fourth spots are both taken by Breath of the Wild: The Great Plateau and Corrupted Hyrule Castle, respectively.
In fifth place, Ultra Space from Pokemon Sun & Moon.
Its fitting that the top five picks are from Nintendo's three biggest franchises; Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Here are the rest of the most popular picks:
6. Studiopolis Zone (Sonic Mania)
7. Homecoming Hijinx (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
8. Duma Tower (Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia)
9. Urchin Underpass (Splatoon)
10. Mor Ardain (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
11. Clock Town (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)
12. Grima (Fire Emblem Awakening)
13. New Los Angeles (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
14. Honeylune Ridge / Moon Kingdom (Super Mario Odyssey)
15. Saturn Valley (EarthBound)
16. City Trial (Kirby Air Ride)
17. Osohe Castle (Mother 3)
18. Sauria (Star Fox Adventures)
19. Zora's Domain (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Breath of the Wild)
20. Metal Crystal (Super Smash Bros.)

Thanks for all of your suggestions - but its not over yet! Soon I will post the ultimate stage survey, with all of your ideas and more. Your votes in this survey will allow us to build up a collective ideal stage roster for Super Smash Bros. Switch!

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

1. No, I think we'll get at least one 3rd party character that makes it in based on being an iconic franchise alone (for instance, Steve from Minecraft)

2. No. I will remain convinced that demand will always be some portion of the reason future 3rd party characters get in.

3. Western/Japan is honestly an irrelevant factor from my point of view. I think they're more focused on impact, and there's many games from both regions that have gone on to have an impact on gaming worldwide.

4. Definitely. There's lots of notable third-party characters to choose from, and since they seemed to use them liberally in the previous game, I can only see them going further with them.

5. None of them. Cloud is slightly more likely to be cut than the others; like 3% more.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Here's a (hopefully) fun question for you all.

Sometimes, when NIntendo announces Smash Bros. characters, said announcement coincides with something else happening regarding the character and/or their series (for example, Cloud was announced in the same Direct that announced he would appear in Final Fantasy Explorers, and Shulk was announced in the same Direct that announced the 3DS port of XBC1).

So, just for fun, take your most wanted newcomer (or maybe a newcomer you just expect to be in the game, not necessarily your most wanted), and come up with an announcement regarding their series that Nintendo would pair their Smash Bros. reveal with.

For example, they could announce Phoenix Wright for Smash Bros at the same time Capcom officially announces Ace Attorney 7.
Gonna make some for mine:
  • Waluigi gets announced alongside a Wario & Waluigi RPG for Switch by Alphadream
  • Ridley gets announced alongside the gameplay debut of Metroid Prime 4
  • Elma gets announced alongside a Xenoblade Chronicles X Switch port
  • Mike Jones gets announced alongside a Startropics reboot, sporting a new design (we all can dream)
Okay, new game:

Dillon’s Rolling Western, Pushmo, Ever Oasis, ARMs, 1080, Waverace, BoxBoy, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Nintendo Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Star Tropics, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Balloon Fight/Kid, Clu Clu Land, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Daigasso Band Brothers, Elite Beat Agents, Devil World.

Of these 23 Nintendo franchises... in this game... seven will get new characters.

Aaaaand name em

(Did you think of a Nintendo franchise I didn’t? Oh fine, take it from that)
  • Custom Robo: Ray
  • Golden Sun: Isaac
  • Mario & Luigi: Fawful
  • Sin & Punishment: Saki
  • StarTropics: Mike Jones
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle: Takamaru
  • (OBSCURE BONUS) Famicom Detective Club: Ayumi Tachibana :p

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
1. There's a chance. Sakurai's big on pleasing the fans first.

2. It's possible, but only to defy expectations to create a positive reaction.

3. Very little. The western-third party choices are very limited, and I think Minecraft Steve would be seen as a poor choice by Sakurai.

4. See above.

In order of "likely to be cut", Cloud >>>> Mega Man > Ryu > PAC-MAN > Sonic > Bayonetta.

I'm betting Cloud is cut, Mega Man and Ryu are not likey to be cut, PAC-MAN has Miyamoto support, Sonic has tenure, and Bayo is practically a Nintendo franchise by this point.
Sonic likelier than Bayo?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can we take a moment to talk about this cinnamon roll?
Ivy the Kiwi? (the question mark isn't a question, that's just how the name is formatted) is a old gem of a game around the time that touch screen controls was a big selling point.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel pretty good about Cloud returning.

Unlike Komani becoming terrible, Square Enix and Nintendo are still pretty tight at the time of development. Heck Square is making a big new IP for a Nintendo system.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Though if Ivy was put in the game people would probably be mad by an endangered animal, a baby one at that, getting beat up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom