• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Has anything new come up with the Grinch leak while I was gone? People seem to still be talking about it and it looks like people are even more sure that it's real now than before.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Taking Sakurai's ''Don't expect too many newcomers since we focused on making sure everyone returned" at face value:

16 newcomers is 5 less than the overall total of Smash 4 once DLC was done.
16 newcomers is 2 more than Melee.
16 newcomers is 2 less than Brawl.

All I have to say if real is shrug.

Shrug.

#TeamShrug
We also don't know if Sakurai counts echoes as newcomers similarly to Ridley or Simon Belmont.

If so, then 16 is accurate.

If not, then we'd have 10 newcomers, which would be the lowest overall totally new characters introduced in a Smash game.

They definitely are newcomers, as they are new characters, buuuut:

The way Echoes are treated and have been revealed, makes me believe he's not counting them. Most likely due to the fact they copy movesets and animations from other fighters, the only effort required for them is using unique models, voicing, some animation(such as idles, victory, and taunts), number differences/slight changes with moves.

Though we really won't know unless Sakurai makes a statement on whether or not he counts them in the newcomer count along with the newcomers like Inklings, Ridley, Simon, etc...

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A randomly incomplete version of the banner at a print-shop in France is even more dubious than the complete version of the banner at a print-shop in France.

But again, all of the circumstances surrounding the leak's existence as well as the details of the art composition are superseded by the higher-order evidence that we have been directly told multiple times by the director of the game that we will not be getting this number of new characters.
I'm more and more on the side that says this is fake, but the "don't expect X" is not a good point, and never has been. Let's say the unlikely happens - okay, the leak is true - how many non-echo newcomers are we actually getting? 10. You say "we will not be getting this number", but he was clearly vague in his actual statement - "Don't expect too many new fighters."

How many is "too many"? Do echoes count, even though we know they take less time to develop? Is "too many" relative to previous games? Would the undertaking of getting every returning fighter back supersede their ability to get in 10 non-echo newcomers when that's still a series-low number? We don't know. You don't know. You're wording this in a way that makes this sound far more definitive than it actually is, when it isn't. This is not good evidence against the leak. The good evidence against the leak is entirely grounded in what Vaanrose and Omni have discussed in regards to the background.

Both sides are carrying a lot of junk here and it's annoying me because they're using it to pad their pre-conceived notions about what MUST happen according to the worldview they've designed around the game, in regards to this leak.

I'm similarly getting (very) fed up with people completely disregarding the backgrounds as "just clouds", but that's at least been challenged a bunch. That at least has been confronted, even if people still don't get it. This "I can interpret the developer's vague statements about character quantity thing as hard evidence for my side of the leak debate" needs to stop.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Has anything new come up with the Grinch leak while I was gone? People seem to still be talking about it and it looks like people are even more sure that it's real now than before.
Opinions on the leak are like bananas.

Split.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
We also don't know if Sakurai counts echoes as newcomers similarly to Ridley or Simon Belmont.

If so, then 16 is accurate.

If not, then we'd have 10 newcomers, which would be the lowest overall totally new characters introduced in a Smash game.

They definitely are newcomers, as they are new characters, buuuut:

The way Echoes are treated and have been revealed, makes me believe he's not counting them. Most likely due to the fact they copy movesets and animations from other fighters, the only effort required for them is using unique models, voicing, some animation(such as idles, victory, and taunts), number differences/slight changes with moves.

Though we really won't know unless Sakurai makes a statement on whether or not he counts them in the newcomer count along with the newcomers like Inklings, Ridley, Simon, etc...
As a curiosity, his original Japanese statement can be interpreted as 'more new fighter annoucements', it's possible he was referring to how newcomers are usually shown with a big CGI trailer. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Taking Sakurai's ''Don't expect too many newcomers since we focused on making sure everyone returned" at face value:

16 newcomers is 2 more than Melee.
16 newcomers is 2 less than Brawl.

All I have to say if real is shrug.

Shrug.

#TeamShrug
Yeah, what irritates me, is when people take a subjective statement, "I hope you don't expect too many newcomers" into objective fact, as if there were only one way to interpret that statement and there's an exact total we can all agree on. Does that mean less than we got in Smash 4? Base or DLC? Less than any other Smash game? Less than the projected total, given every game had an increasing number of newcomers? Do only unique characters count, or do echoes as well?

I took that as, excluding echoes (as they don't multiply when balancing the game, it is assumed), we'd be getting less newcomers than Smash 4 base roster. With 10 unique newcomers, that's certainly less than Smash 4 and, I think, every other Smash game, including Smash 64. So I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect that (my initial total I thought after E3 would be 16--8 unique newcomers, 8 echoes, it's the same total as the banner with a different proportion of echoes).

The major problem is announcing 7 of them, 5 unique, in one month, and more or less depending on what rumors are correct. If it's 7, I would agree that it would have been better to spread it out. If it's two, a Pokemon and an echo, I would have saved someone like King K Rool for last. But that's why it's subjective--and different opinions are fine, so long as we don't conflate a subjective opinion with objective fact.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I decided to try this experiment myself and I have a different conclusion.

Even though the cylinder is largely covered up, because of the cutaway, we can get determine it's size easily. And because we can make out Bowser, Yoshi, Samus and Kirby, we can correctly map the texture to the cylinder. When doing so, we get this:

It appears to be quite perfectly sized to repeat exactly once. The height of the display isn't tall enough to accommodate the entire image, however.
I’m curious, what do you think this means for the leak if anything?

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Can anyone link the good-quality version of the leak banner? Obviously all versions are blurry, but there is one in particular that put it in as much focus as possible. I just want to observe a few things...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I really think the whol don’t expect too many newcomers isn’t what people think it is.

When I first heard i figured he meant compared to past games. Like how the number got bigger and bigger.

Melee added what 13 characters? Brawl like 18, smash 4 16?

I figured Sakurai meant don’t expect like 20 or more new characters compared to last game since the vets are all here.

Either way young link and pichu will be fun to have again.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
But again, all of the circumstances surrounding the leak's existence as well as the details of the art composition are superseded by the higher-order evidence that we have been directly told multiple times by the director of the game that we will not be getting this number of new characters.
Sakurai has never said we aren't getting a specific number of characters.

All he's said is not to expect too many new fighters and that they went crazy with character reveals from Inkling, Daisy, Ridley > Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, K. Rool > Isabelle. Which was 9 characters in the span of 3 months.

We don't know for certain what Sakurai means by any of this, we can just assume. Does his not many mean less than 10 newcomers? Around 10 newcomers? We won't know until the final reveals, honestly.

finnely some one did what i was asking for , now its starting to put it more on the team fake side
This still doesn't prove anything other than the mural's background differs from the current one, which people have already investigated and found the background has changed even slightly from previous iterations.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I can't speak for them, but my interpretation is that it hurts the leaks credibility, though not in the way initially thought. Of course, there are alternate explanations, depending on what exactly it's being used for and the technical requirements of the panorama (I could see them moving it upwards slightly, where all the characters are centered but the tops and bottoms cut off).

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This still doesn't prove anything other than the mural's background differs from the current one, which people have already investigated and found the background has changed even slightly from previous iterations.
The background has not changed. Any changes noticed by people have been because of character shifting in the artwork. Every single banner to date has matched the blank E3 Battlefield. Artsy Omni and Vaanrose have both investigated that thoroughly

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
A randomly incomplete version of the banner at a print-shop in France is even more dubious than the complete version of the banner at a print-shop in France.

Please, do point out the point when Sakurai specifically stated the number of characters that would be in this game. I'm absolutely dying to know.

Because he said the exact same thing for Smash 4, as people forget.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-new-super-smash-bros-wont-focus-on-bigger-roster

Just replace "won't focus on bigger roster" with "focused more on bringing every character back".

Do we also just choose to forget that Sakurai is just one man and the development team is made up of somewhere around 500? That's a lot of man power.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can't speak for them, but my interpretation is that it hurts the leaks credibility, though not in the way initially thought. Of course, there are alternate explanations, depending on what exactly it's being used for and the technical requirements of the panorama (I could see them moving it upwards slightly, where all the characters are centered but the tops and bottoms cut off).
Hm ok, I kind of see what you mean. I’m not too up to date on my graphics information even though I should be as it plays into my major.

So I wonder what could explain it, cause it, etc

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We really should stop comparing Smash 4's final roster to Ultimate's starting roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Echoes still attribute to Sakurai's work load though. They have their own balance woes, Kirby hats, etc.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
The cross section on top makes me think it could be a bottom piece of... whatever it is.(Display?)

Thus meaning there's an upper section to be pieced together with it. Could be partly the rest of the mural and then the rest being an advert that has the title of the game w/ release date/"Everyone is Here!"/etc... Like something you'd see in stores.

Though I know nothing about this kind of stuff, so I'm just making a guess for the 'Real side'.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To take a break from leak discussion , I've got a question for all of you guys.

What veteran are you most excited to use in Ultimate, that you haven't played/liked in any previous installment?

Mine is :ultzelda:.

Twilight Princess was one of my least favorite Zelda designs... period.

And then they changed it from my least favorite Zelda to my favorite Zelda in the series' history (ALBW & ALTP were tied for first):

images.jpeg

Plus her moveset seems a lot better this time around (in terms their of properties)

Maybe she'll be my main ranged character.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hm ok, I kind of see what you mean. I’m not too up to date on my graphics information even though I should be as it plays into my major.

So I wonder what could explain it, cause it, etc
Definitely don't take my word for it, as I have no graphical experience at all. :p Though I feel like I should feel comfortable sharing my non-expert opinion, so long as I specify that. A big flashing neon sign should follow my posts saying "All of this is an opinion, and from an idiot, no less." But I'd rather have my icons than a flashing neon sign. :awesome:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Please, do point out the point when Sakurai specifically stated the number of characters that would be in this game. I'm absolutely dying to know.

Because he said the exact same thing for Smash 4, as people forget.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-new-super-smash-bros-wont-focus-on-bigger-roster

Do we also just choose to forget that Sakurai is just one man and the development team is made up of somewhere around 500? That's a lot of man power.
Personally, I feel there's a big difference between that interview and saying not to expect much in the big initial reveal trailer after you've announced the entirety of the returning cast as a reason not to expect too much.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Even though the cylinder is largely covered up, because of the cutaway, we can get determine it's size easily. And because we can make out Bowser, Yoshi, Samus and Kirby, we can correctly map the texture to the cylinder. When doing so, we get this:

It appears to be quite perfectly sized to repeat exactly once. The height of the display isn't tall enough to accommodate the entire image, however.
Could the difference in height be explained by any potential industry practice for things like these, or is this inconclusive one way or the other (or is the height point a serious blow)?

Fane

Smash Journeyman
What veteran are you most excited to use in Ultimate, that you haven't played/liked in any previous installment?
I didn't do much with DLC in Sm4sh. Bought up to Ryu and Roy so I missed out on Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.

Definitely excited to play Corrin this time.(For free, yay!) Other than him, I can't wait to play with Wolf and Pichu again. :)

Noipoi

Howdy!

And then they changed it from my least favorite Zelda to my favorite Zelda in the series' history (ALBW & ALTP were tied for first):

View attachment 172585

Plus her moveset seems a lot better this time around (in terms their of properties)

Pokemon Trainer for sure.
I've played Charizard, but Squirte and Ivysaur are completely foreign concepts to me. Not to mention they got rid of stamina and type effectiveness, so now I can just go crazy with any one of them.

Also Leaf. I like Leaf.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

This is interesting indeed, but I think that the banner seen in the leak is designed with the cylinder in mind... that long rectangle with the Smash Bros logo and the mural is probably intended to be positioned on the cylinder entirely, not only a part of it.

A detail that I noticed is that at the left side of the cylinder there are some black marks that I tought are the letters of the logo; if you put the full banner on the cylinder, that's where the logo ends (more or less), so it makes sense. (but I may be wrong on this because I already failed several times at figuring out the shapes from that blurry image, and maybe those aren't letters but Cpt Falcon and Robin).

The cylinder can still be functional and maybe the problem is only the "handmade" mapping. Maybe if they print the actual thing it fits well and the problem is just in the mock-up.
The point is, there are no measures in the leak, they aren't technical drawings, so we don't know the real size of the thing, we know approximately the proportions of it and nothing more.

Either way, there still seem to be the problem that the picture is cutted and does not fit well in height.

If we want to analyze it even futher, there is that dotted line in the inner surface of the cylinder. What's supposed to represent? The center of the surface? Or the lower border? either cases the mapping would be wrong, but as I said, the mapping may not count if it's just a rushed mock-up.

There's also the thing that usually those dotted lines are used to represent what's not visible, but the cylinder is supposed to be open (I think) and you should be able to see that line from that angle just fine, they should have probably used a normal line instead. But even this is not sure, because there are some software that generate technical drawings automatically, and those software can make errors. So, still in the case it's a rushed work, it's possible that they have used one of those software and generated the drawing with some stroke errors.
So, the possibilities are all open, though I wouldn't think about that too much, I would focus more on the fact that the original picture on the cylinder is insanely blurry and it's not due to the camera, it's intentionally blurry. That's the biggest red flag to me... it's ok to use a placeholder picture instead of a 300dpi picture of several GB, but even the lowest quality placeholder would have been of higher quality than that, and even the picture of the banner ripped from the leak itself, applied on the cylinder looks better than the original one.
That's really odd and personally it's an huge hint that something is wrong about all this, along with the fact that the battlefield picture under the Smash logo is stretched and it's not somethning that a graphic designer would do no it's not, I was wrong, my bad.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 172585

:ultzelda: was always one of my fave characters to play. And I love her new design so much!

:ultlink: I’ve never played much tbh even though I love the series. But the remote bombs intrigue me

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

View attachment 172585

My answer won't mean much all things considered :yoshi:, but I guess one of the fighters that seemed to grow on me is :ultpichu:

osby

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 172585

None of them. I don't think any of the changes to the characters I didn't liked/played is drastic enough to make me like them.

That being said, I'll probably play as Robin and Ivysaur more since they got useful changes.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If the cylinder was tall enough to accommodate the whole image, I'd say it helps. As it stands, I'm not sure.

Could the difference in height be explained by any potential industry practice for things like these, or is this inconclusive one way or the other (or is the height point a serious blow)?
The image being cropped bugs me. Let's assume they have a specific display size they have to fit the image in and it can't be changed. Because of the image size, they can fit the width perfectly, but it crops the height, or they can fit the height perfectly, but now the width doesn't fit. In a professional setting, that's not a choice. You don't go with either of those things. You adjust the image to fit.

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I'm most excited to try Young Link. Back in the Melee days, I though YL was lame because he wasn't a cool adult/older teen. (I was only 8)
But now I'm really nostalgic for OoT Link. Young or old. Plus I think he stands a good chance of being pretty good after being re-balanced. Maybe the best Link incarnation?

I'm also looking forward to trying Pokemon Trainer. In Brawl the stamina mechanic really hampered my enjoyment of the character.(s)
Now that it is gone I'm eager to see how much fun they will be.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Masahiro 'Bayonetta won the ballot' Sakurai you say? Words are thin air.
By now just 5 unique fighters, that's truly not very much. Echoes are pure filler stuff for give something more, I don't know I we should count them.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

View attachment 172585

Ganondorf, literally almost word for word for your reasons.

Heracr055

Smash Ace

Tie between Zelda and Lucina.
I have never used Zelda in Melee or Brawl except to :GCCD::GCB: in Brawl. Her redesign gave me a new interest in her (especially the dark purple alt since the default is not my favorite). Dabuz's analysis of her (essentially fine tuning her tools to actially give her a functional playstyle) made me excited as well.
I've had interest in playing Lucina before but could never get her to a good point of comfort. So I'm hoping some of the changes here make her a better fit for me. Though let's be honest the big reason I like her now is because of Lucina Says

Pokemon Trainer for sure.
I've played Charizard, but Squirte and Ivysaur are completely foreign concepts to me. Not to mention they got rid of stamina and type effectiveness, so now I can just go crazy with any one of them.

Also Leaf. I like Leaf.
Squirtle and Ivysaur are fun. And Squirtle is definitely effective.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Personally, I feel there's a big difference between that interview and saying not to expect much in the big initial reveal trailer after you've announced the entirety of the returning cast as a reason not to expect too much.
That still doesn't change the fact that the margin of "not too many" is subjective.

Brawl had 18 newcomers. Smash 4 had around that same number, and even more with DLC. Not counting Echoes, which are confirmed to be fairly easy to develop, I think 13-14 newcomers is reasonable. That's "not as much" as we've been conditioned to have, comparative to the last two titles. Meaning it still falls in line with that logic.

And yes, I know, veterans, but we're talking newcomers built off an engine the team was already very familiar with and a massive development team.

This is also the same man who goes back on his words a LOT. Not because he's a liar, but because he likes to play with expectations to make the truth that much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
This is interesting indeed, but I think that the banner seen in the leak is designed with the cylinder in mind... that long rectangle with the Smash Bros logo and the mural is probably intended to be positioned on the cylinder entirely, not only a part of it.

A detail that I noticed is that at the left side of the cylinder there are some black marks that I tought are the letters of the logo; if you put the full banner on the cylinder, that's where the logo ends (more or less), so it makes sense. (but I may be wrong on this because I already failed several times at figuring out the shapes from that blurry image, and maybe those aren't letters but Cpt Falcon and Robin).

The cylinder can still be functional and maybe the problem is only the "handmade" mapping. Maybe if they print the actual thing it fits well and the problem is just in the mock-up.
The point is, there are no measures in the leak, they aren't technical drawings, so we don't know the real size of the thing, we know approximately the proportions of it and nothing more.

Either way, there still seem to be the problem that the picture is cutted and does not fit well in height.

If we want to analyze it even futher, there is that dotted line in the inner surface of the cylinder. What's supposed to represent? The center of the surface? Or the lower border? either cases the mapping would be wrong, but as I said, the mapping may not count if it's just a rushed mock-up.

There's also the thing that usually those dotted lines are used to represent what's not visible, but the cylinder is supposed to be open (I think) and you should be able to see that line from that angle just fine, they should have probably used a normal line instead. But even this is not sure, because there are some software that generate technical drawings automatically, and those software can make errors. So, still in the case it's a rushed work, it's possible that they have used one of those software and generated the drawing with some stroke errors.
So, the possibilities are all open, though I wouldn't think about that too much, I would focus more on the fact that the original picture on the cylinder is insanely blurry and it's not due to the camera, it's intentionally blurry. That's the biggest red flag to me... it's ok to use a placeholder picture instead of a 300dpi picture of several GB, but even the lowest quality placeholder would have been of higher quality than that, and even the picture of the banner ripped from the leak itself, applied on the cylinder looks better than the original one.
That's really odd and personally it's an huge hint that something is wrong about all this, along with the fact that the battlefield picture under the Smash logo is stretched and it's not somethning that a graphic designer would do.
The dotted line is the bottom of the display. I've used the 8.8 banner for this mockup just because it loops seamlessly, but I would imagine the idea here is that one half of the display is the filled banner, and the other half is the empty banner with the logo. It would still be seamless.

The cross section on top makes me think it could be a bottom piece of... whatever it is.(Display?)

Thus meaning there's an upper section to be pieced together with it. Could be partly the rest of the mural and then the rest being an advert that has the title of the game w/ release date/"Everyone is Here!"/etc... Like something you'd see in stores.

Though I know nothing about this kind of stuff, so I'm just making a guess for the 'Real side'.
It's a hanging display. We can tell this by the diagonal lines that come off the right side and meet in the center. Those are the support strings.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if the banner is true guys. How would you rank reach newcomer and your reasons for it?

Banjo-Kazooie
Chorus Kids
:ultchrom:
:ultdaisy:
:ultdarksamus:
Geno
:ultinkling:
:ultisabelle:
Incineroar (Assuming he's the "Missing character" and its true)
Isaac
Ken
:ultkrool:
Mach Rider
:ultrichter:
:ultridley:
Shadow
:ultsimon:

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If the cylinder was tall enough to accommodate the whole image, I'd say it helps. As it stands, I'm not sure.

The image being cropped bugs me. Let's assume they have a specific display size they have to fit the image in and it can't be changed. Because of the image size, they can fit the width perfectly, but it crops the height, or they can fit the height perfectly, but now the width doesn't fit. In a professional setting, that's not a choice. You don't go with either of those things. You adjust the image to fit.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but if you center the image so that it's lowered, (the bottom being where Snake's feet are), you can center all the characters while leaving out the top and bottom. Or are we assuming the strip with the characters will be used exactly as is on the panorama?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

View attachment 172585

Every single goddamn Smash game I pick up Link feeling like I'm gonna be the legendary swordsman of hyrule.
Next week, I end up desperately keeping Fox away with my three projectiles before I inevitably get kicked in the mouth.

...Looks like the cycle's gonna continue with Ultimate, because hoo boy, DAT DESIGN IS CLEAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom