• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
People are overthinking it when they try to paint the leaker as some machiavellian mastermind who constructed the most elaborate fake of all time in order to discredit the notion that the leak isn't real just because "it's too much work" or whatever.

If it's fake, the most likely scenario is this:

The guy just worked at a graphics company and made a fake leak. He probably had some crap on his desk pertaining to his actual job that happened to fall into frame. That's it.

You'd be surprised how messy most people's desks are who work in the creative field. You should see mine.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Join "Team English Breakfast Tea".

We have biscuits ("cookies" to Americans) and toast.

Tophat and monocle optional.
This just makes me sad that Layton will never be playable. At least we have two characters designed in the UK though, which is more than all other countries save for Japan.

Also, in honour of our dubious French leaker, we really should get our first playable French rep *cough*Rayman*cough*

I'm still in Team Elma/Rex/Skull Kid
someday daddy sakurai
On the bright side, there's potentially less competition if the big bois are in. Srsly though I need my duckman scarecrow.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I don't understand why this is such a common argument. It was only five months ago that No Cuts was too good to be true.
True but it is still an absurdly amount of fan service. I remember seeing a July leak claiming there would be a monthly 3 characters reveal resulting in 18 new characters by launch (this is before Simon's reveal btw), you wouldn't believe such a crazy claim right? This leak isn't as crazy, but ut is still kinda too good to be true in my eye.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Am I to understand that the Grinch leak has not been broken yet? That the only issues with it are maybe shadows, Jiggylpuff's eyes looking weird, and maybe the background is barely different here and there?

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Could the grinch be a metaphor. Like the Grinch who stole Smash Ultimates' hype (sorry if this joke has already been done). People are going to be let down, if this leak becomes false, as hopes were so high and it is an amazing roster.

As for my team, I'm leaning towards fake. It's a well thought out leak, but the name being poorly covered and the LinkedIn profile seems like bait. Same with the Grinch promotional materials in the background. The only thing that makes me unsure, is probably because I want this roster soo badly. Throw in a Zelda rep for DLC (or two), and my god... Hopefully the gameplay holds itself too.

Well who knows, I need to get a good night sleep and hopefully by the time I'm awake we will know the answer.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Am I to understand that the Grinch leak has not been broken yet? That the only issues with it are maybe shadows, Jiggylpuff's eyes looking weird, and maybe the background is barely different here and there?
That's pretty much the long and short of it, yeah.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm personally not a believer in the whole Jigglypuff and shadow problems (I think it's similar to the Smash 3DS ESRB leak nitpicking) but as for the background differences, yes. You're caught up from what I've seen and understand.

D

Deleted member

what if the leak was intentionally put out by nintendo and the real final newcomer is joachin pheonix with a joker echo that has a steve echo with an alex echo and it turns the real SOCIETY was living INSIDE us all along

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
If anyone cares, vaanrose vaanrose 's work as well as this Twitter thread from NantenGex (read if you haven't already) have convinced me to join #TeamFake. The thing for me was that someone contacted the guy's company and apparently he hasn't worked there in some time, hence his almost empty LinkedIn. Perfect scapegoat for any leaker essentially.

Nevertheless, I am staying cautiously optimistic 1. as I would be ecstatic with this as the final roster (mainly no Minecraft Steve, thank Sakurai if true) and 2. for I was Team Fake on the ESRB leak (I didn't want to accept that many cuts and also the 3DS' CSS just looked too damn ugly to be real) and let me tell you, the video footage coming out of Shulk and Bowser Jr. coming out was one of the biggest shocks in my life. How could something so fake looking be real?! So then you have this leak which I initially believed and still looks far more authentic, and I just don't know anymore.

It's soooo good to the point of being absurd. Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Isaac, AND Banjo? 2006 Smashboards would have had a stroke.
I chuckled like an asthmatic dog at this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
what if the leak was intentionally put out by nintendo and the real final newcomer is joachin pheonix with a joker echo that has a steve echo with an alex echo and it turns the real SOCIETY was living INSIDE us all along
Someone give this person a promotion.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I'm Team:
View attachment 171879

It's soooo good to the point of being absurd. Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Isaac, AND Banjo? 2006 Smashboards would have had a stroke. It's the long awaited closure for virtually all the longest standing major character fanbases in the Smash Community. Yes, it's very wish listy but so is Ridley, K. Rool, and no cuts with literally every character back so we polevaulted over that a long time ago.

Plus, for this to be totally fake, somebody would have gone to absurd lengths to fake this. People say that we've seen stuff like this but literally when? The most we've seen is Omni's fake Rayman and, no offense to him, but this far exceeds it, not in quality but attention to detail. You don't fake a professional printing work station with actual connections to the developers themselves. I'm still of the mind that "Eric" didn't do the actual leak and it was either 1. a coworker who wanted him to be a fall guy (unlikely) or 2. a custodian or tradesman who was just doing their job but the Smash stuff caught their attention (likely). As a custodian, this is embarrassingly common because we're usually allowed everywhere and people will leave even the most damning things out in plain sight like lawsuits because it's well known that you're beyond toast if you tell anyone. Sometimes, however, 1. people are morons, 2. they really want some juicy gossip, or 3. they're so burned out from the job that they no longer care about reprecussions.

In the end, I'm cautiously optimistic but I think we're definitely in the end game, especially with Nintendo posting a random trailer last night as if it were a quiet nod in recognition. I'm also in the mind that this might not be everyone, not including DLC, but again, it's almost so good that DLC isn't needed. This game has already gone to crazy lengths for fan service so, while it is a dream come true for a huge portion of Smash fans, I wouldn't rule it out based on this.
I’d like to think they posted the video as a nod too. Especially since the first scene is Mario giving a thumbs up!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
From the company: https://www.facebook.com/147749832060539/posts/1070378256464354/

Translation:
Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team.

D

Deleted member

From the company: https://www.facebook.com/147749832060539/posts/1070378256464354/

Translation:
Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team.
Welp pack it up boys

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
People are overthinking it when they try to paint the leaker as some machiavellian mastermind who constructed the most elaborate fake of all time in order to discredit the notion that the leak isn't real just because "it's too much work" or whatever.

If it's fake, the most likely scenario is this:

The guy just worked at a graphics company and made a fake leak. He probably had some crap on his desk pertaining to his actual job that happened to fall into frame. That's it.

You'd be surprised how messy most people's desks are who work in the creative field. You should see mine.
That's definitely a possibility. Not improbable to think someone could briefly use company tools for a personal project; it requires the fewest assumptions to boot.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Translation:
The Marina Team.
Looks like a bullet point for Team Fake. Damn this leak is crazy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle:

If the leak is true, then this is our final roster...
I don't know about you guys, but I think this is almost too good to be true...

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman

Translation:
The Marina Team.
OOF, this is big... I might be leaning more towards team fake now...

Last edited:

TheMilkmann

Smash Apprentice

Translation:
The Marina Team.
"It alll comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling dowwwwnnn"

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820

Translation:
The Marina Team.
Ok so not only has he not worked there in 2 years ( I was under the impression he had been there more recently), the company isn't even doing anything for Smash. #TeamFake it is.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I can definitely say that this leak would be 100% more accepted by the "hnms", "ehhs" and "mehhs" if the final roster there was less substantial. If it had Ken, Incineroar, Steve and Geno, like leaks were mentioning, 90% of the "nay" fan base probably would have been less against it than they are now. But only half of those are on here, and 5 others are included and they are all huge inclusions.

I will admit that these 7 characters almost sound too good to be true, these are some of these most highly requested characters in the history of smash, so I definitely understand skepticism

- Ken: Obvious, accepted by most people

- Geno: Less obvious, but I can see most people accepting it if it was the Square character. Satisfies a 15 year old fanbase. Was considered for Brawl.

- Shadow: Getting into interesting territory, people definitely expect it due to Knuckles but Shadow has never been part of any legitimate leak. So a surprise but all around accepted.

The next 3 have had their trademarks renewed since May:

- Mach Rider: If we get a retro rep, this would be a realistic choice, even if Sakurai was joking in that interview about him being considered for Melee, but who knows true intentions. Again, in Duck hunts position, disbelief until gameplay.

- Chorus Kids: Okay, a little odd for some. Some people don't believe Gematsu and I get that. Me personally, after Chrom this was a fairly realistic choice. Both were considered for Smash 4 according to Gematsu's leak. The thing about this leak is it seems to centralize on the Conductor, not the kids, so we may have something super interesting here if legit.

- Isaac: A big one. For a lot of people outside of the Isaac fan base, it's a "no way". He was cut entirely from Smash 4 as am AT, and has less going for him than other characters. His design in the leak is original and uses Growth, which oddly is not representative of Isaacs main psyenergy element. This makes me believe the leak a little more, as with the Conductor for Chorus Kids, is a unique approach from something most people expect to work differently.

And last but not least:

- Banjo: I feel like this is the one spelling a lot of disbelief, on top of everything else. People expected Minecraft representation, but Microsoft and Nintendo primarily chose this duo, and that's something if it's legit. This is a pipe dream for a lot of people and to see him there along with all of these other characters definitely puts people in disbelief.

So I can see why a lot of people are on the fence. Nearly all of these characters, save for probably Mach- Rider, are definitely huge crowd pleases that end a lot of debates and desires for many people.

And I'd agree, if it were not for 2 things:

1. The first 9 we got are all crowd pleasers. Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy, and Richter all have pretty big fanbases, while the main 5: Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, and Isabelle have massive popularity like the possible leaked characters in this roster.

2. The background/Occams Razor/Paper trail of the leak. It's just way too intricate. I've elaborated many times but I'll keep it at that.

It's definitely up to the person to interpret it. If it's wrong, it's a definite shame. It's probably the biggest final roster we could ever have for this game, popularity wise. If it's right, well, you know how much it breaks the internet.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Translation:
The Marina Team.
the oof heard across the world

Edit: the second oof heard only internally

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Translation:
The Marina Team.
Alright, pack it up, boys...
We're getting Incineroar, and y'all better be happy

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If you wanna go all mental gymnastics on this you can make an argument that they never said the leak was fake, just that it didn’t come from them but it still puts a HUGE dent in it

The Grinch’s heart continues to be three sizes too small

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So what are the teams again?

Team Real
Team Fake
Team Hmmm (whatever that is)
Team Zinith

Is that about right?
Team Zinith is basically France during WWII. Put up a good fight but ultimately got bowled over only to conduct guerrilla warfare here and there.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Translation:
The Marina Team.
So...even IF this were true, it's not recent at all and might be out of date.

Pretty crazy for the company where this guy worked responded to this...and is considering legal action, which I don't understand why.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

Translation:
The Marina Team.
Sure this rules out Marina. But now we have 2 years of Eric’s career unaccounted for, what’s to say he didn’t move on to another printing company? And this company has a contract with Universal and Nintendo?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wow, I wake up and the company is denying any involvement. There are so many possibilities here - the leak is real but the circumstances are fake, it's all real and there's some kind of damage control, it's all fake...

Team Hmmmm! it is, but man this has been an exciting period. Finally, something shaking us up and getting us to talk about stuff on-topic. Gotta love good fake leaks. Also it brought Mach Rider into the spotlight and even though she wasn't my wanted retro rep, I realized that she's based on Kamen Rider so actually I want her bad now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom