• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Daisy's Red and Black alt is pretty damn strong too. Richter's best alt is the one that's sort of like Julius. Dark Samus actually having the prototype Red and White color scheme is also awesome.

A lot of good alts. Though Cloud's and Pac-Man's are still pretty lame since it'd be hard to tell most of them from a distance.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Remember how back in the day some of us imagined doing 8-player Smash w/ Ice Climbers only...

My god. It looks just as bad as you think it does.

Edit: Thanks everyone for 2500 likes!

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I'm not coming back to this thread for reals, but I got to play the demo today and wanted to share my impressions. I'll already posted to the Nintezobe social so I'll just copy/paste what I said there to here.

So as you could probablt tell from my last post, I did play the Smash Ulimate demo a few hours ago. I was anxious and I only got around three hours of sleep last night, and while I'm used to the procontroller I wasn't used to the default button layout. Most importantly though I didn't have time to get the hang of the new game engine and struggled to get a real feel for the characters, but I'll try to give my impressions anyway.

First thing to note, I played with a group a three strangers who seemed to be friends. They were having a conversation about K.Rool's armor break mechanic, so they seemed fairly knowledgeable. I was too shy to hop in on their conversation though. I got to play two matches with them.

In the first match, I chose :ultpokemontrainer: while my opponents went with :ultganondorf::ultincineroar: and :ultrichter: on Gerudo Valley. Despite all the theory crafting and matches I've watched, I just didn't have a good feel for Squirtle from the get go. The range on Ganondorf's new smash attacks caught me off guard which, when combined with a new air dodge system I'm not used to, let Ganon get a couple stupid early kills on me. Ivysaur however felt much more natural for me to play and I managed to get a KO with her f-smash, which felt just as satisfying as I had hoped it would. I didn't play much Charizard however, as I was prioritizing the other two. Ganondorf ended up winning that match by a landslide - his sword attacks might be of limited use in competitive play, but they seem busted in free for alls.

In the next match, I went with Robo :ultridley: while my opponents went with :ultike::ultroy: and :ultrobin: on Jungle Japes. My sister, who was spectating, teased me about not playing along with the theme and going with Marth or Lucina, but I wanted to try out my space dragon mech alien danggit! Anyway, as I suspected Purple Charizard was a natural fit for me and I did much better that match, getting second place and losing only by a single point (to Ike, who was the same guy who was Ganon last match). Riddle's Fair felt better then I expected and his Plasma Breath was a fun way to rack up cheap damage in free for alls. I'll definitely be playing Riddles a lot, at least in casual play.

Overall I'm still hyped over this game, but it'll take some more playing for me to truly appreciate the new changes and mechanics. Two matches was not enough time for me to get the hang of dash canceled tilts, directional air dodges or even the new universal 3-frame jump squat on my boi Zard. You can bet that when Ultimate drops I'll be grinding away at it until controlling my characters in it feels as natural for me as it does in Smash 4.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
So what smash tag icon will you people be rocking? Personally, I'm going for the Chorus Kids to fill the Chorus Kids shaped hole in my heart.
That's a hard one for me. Like, I wanna use my mains, Sonic and Lucina, but I also wanna use Shantae and Geno, but then I also wanna use the Agent 8 (yellow) Inkling skin. Idk lol.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Kid Icarus fans, were you excited to see that Dark Pit was going to be in Smash when you first read about it?!! Because if you all were happy about him, then I am too. :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what smash tag icon will you people be rocking? Personally, I'm going for the Chorus Kids to fill the Chorus Kids shaped hole in my heart.
Light Armor Mega Man X. The fact he actually gets two is already pretty cool, but the OG armor design is one of the best designs from the entire Mega Man series, up there with MM and Protoman.

Not too deep into CV, but I'm glad Soma got one too.

Remember how back in the day some of us imagined doing 8-player Smash w/ Ice Climbers only...

My god. It looks just as bad as you think it does.
That's the dream fam. We finally made it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
People keep on testing the Nintenjas like a bunch a jokers

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've noticed there's been a bit of confusion and misinformation spreading so I just wanted to say:

Spirits and Online Profile Pictures are two separate collections of icons. They are not the same thing!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Cut off one head, and another will grow in its place.
We simply need to go on the hunt for more streams

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Kid Icarus fans, were you excited to see that Dark Pit was going to be in Smash when you first read about it?!! Because if you all were happy about him, then I am too. :)
I was way more excited about Palutena joining the roster when both were announced, though of course I couldn’t have any feelings for him until I played Uprising...he didn’t make my top 5 favorite Uprising characters

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Err, not really.
If he's just effectively another 8 colors for normal Pit with a different victory theme, then... I was kinda ambivalent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hopping on the bandwagon here. Here are the characters I'll be using the most, probably. Some more than others. I'm excited to bring Olimar back into the main rotation. Loved him in Brawl, but he didn't click with me in Smash 4. His changes in Ultimate look great though, so I'm looking forward to him. Obviously Chrom's still number one though.
image.jpeg

Also I'm boring and like default costumes. The only exceptions are Mario and Little Mac. This time though, Mario's sticking to default because they cut my precious Fire Mario costume. With Little Mac I'll still alternate between default, hoodie, and occasionally Title Defense.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dang, Mark looks so cool! Now I want Mark as a new FE rep :(
Ha, well...
he doesn't actually do anything like Robin does.
He kinda just sticks to a lord and orders people around the map.
Lyn carrying Mark.jpg

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hopping on the bandwagon here. Here are the characters I'll be using the most, probably. Some more than others. I'm excited to bring Olimar back into the main rotation. Loved him in Brawl, but he didn't click with me in Smash 4. His changes in Ultimate look great though, so I'm looking forward to him. Obviously Chrom's still number one though.View attachment 179865
Also I'm boring and like default costumes. The only exceptions are Mario and Little Mac. This time though, Mario's sticking to default because they cut my precious Fire Mario costume. With Little Mac I'll still alternate between default, hoodie, and occasionally Title Defense.
FINALLY someone else who color coordinates.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Ha, well...
he doesn't actually do anything like Robin does.
He kinda just sticks to a lord and orders people around the map.
That's such an adorable picture of Lyn. Dang it, why did I have to click on that spoiler?? Now I want Mark more than anyone in the game

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
unpopular thoughts;

I like M!Robin better than F!Robin, her hair looks a bit silly as well. Also, I hate how he still have Chrom.

Mario and Dr. Mario are okay different.

Yoshi needs his black ait.

I like Simon more than Richter (?) .

Isabelle should have more different moves as well.

I don't get the hate for this newcomers. I mean, it's K ROOL people. Make up your mind!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not really, both Suda and Bozon have wanted their characters in the franchise in some way or another. Shantae was given a spirit yet Travis/No More Heroes has nothing, despite how easy it would be to slap a few spirits in there.
And Shantae is owned by an indie studio.
Suda can totally afford not having their character show up in Smash as a Spirit.
Shantae needed that publicity.

There comes a lot more contracts and licensing with studios like Suda because they're not indie.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
unpopular thoughts;

I like M!Robin better than F!Robin, her hair looks a bit silly as well. Also, I hate how he still have Chrom.

Mario and Dr. Mario are okay different.

Yoshi needs his black ait.

I like Simon more than Richter (?) .

Isabelle should have more different moves as well.

I don't get the hate for this newcomers. I mean, it's K ROOL people. Make up your mind!
I don't hate K Rool, but he's definitely my least favorite of the newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom