• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Talking about the VGA-

Nominee will be shown November 13.
If Dragon Quest/and/or KH III are present, we can get ready
(DQ will probably be in RPG selection, while KH III will be in Most Anticipated game of 2019 if everythings goes okay)
There's a very good chance both will be there, but the big takeaway is whether or not Sakurai is nominated for an award.
Though I don't know if they'd announce it this early.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Responding to all those - I figured it was a troll but I do expect to see entitled fans upset that the new Fire Emblem character, or other big 3rd party gets in over...well not just Geno but any big fan want.

Also when I was reffering to Waluigi it was to the fans that we're/are upset about Daisy and Piranha Plant getting in. That was more than one.
Believe me, I already know the DLC for this game will completely break this place apart. We got Ridley and K. Rool, and now fans are acting like they're entitled to every character being popular and highly requested.

There's already people complaining about Gen 8 possibly being part of the DLC. If people are complaining about a Pokemon, imagine how much worse it'll be with Steve and Katalina.

Untouch

Smash Master
Can someone explain how K. Rool's counter works? I've been hearing it functions differently than a normal counter.
It functions the same, a lot of his attacks have superarmour which damages his belly, if he soaks up 3 attacks he is stunned.
His counter doesn't have that limitation.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, K.Rool having a counter makes a lot of goddamn sense.

What happens if you try to roll into Krusha or Klump as Diddy?

You bounce off.

Why? Because they're swole/fat.
This is why King K. Rool is one of Nintendo's greatest characters. He really isn't a villain at heart, he's comfortable in his own body and promotes body acceptance, alongside getting out there and getting the work.

**** Wii Fit Trainer, where the hell is our K. Rool Workout Tapes?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Only a few more days until I'll finally have the chance to pre-order the game. Won't waste my chance.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Responding to all those - I figured it was a troll but I do expect to see entitled fans upset that the new Fire Emblem character, or other big 3rd party gets in over...well not just Geno but any big fan want.

Also when I was reffering to Waluigi it was to the fans that were/are upset about Daisy and Piranha Plant getting in. That was more than one.

Edit: Misread someone's post. Just because it's more than one doesn't mean it can't still just be a vocal minority so that's fair. But they should chill :p
It's not entitlement to be unhappy that a character you wanted didn't get in but a character you didn't want did. People have a right to be upset. I'm going to be upset if Katalina gets in but Geno doesn't.

It starts being entitlement when you point fingers and say Katalina took Geno's spot or that Katalina replaced Geno. Or if you say Katalina didn't "deserve" her spot.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
My Switch just finished pre-loading Ultimate and man, that icon looks so good.

Less than a year ago people speculated about a meager Switch port, and now Ultimate is here, with every character in the franchise's history, a brand new adventure mode with cutscenes, return of competitive mechanics and a ton of new ones. And yet the ride's not over with DLC coming + :ultpiranha:.
Nintendo really loves to spoil their fans.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well lucky for you that thread was a joke reference and this is EXACTLY what I feared would happen. NOBODY is seriously saying that
I meaaaan...The thread was a joke, but the situation everywhere still have a part of truth. Since the reveal of Piranha plant, Geno fans get attacked, but they're also extremely defensive whenever someone brought up Geno's chance as a Square-Enix rep even more after the Tweet saying that Nintendo made the selection.

TL;DR that situation as a whole is stupid, people should just enjoy that AT THE VERY LEAST we might get an SE rep, whoever that is and enjoy the ride, hope for the best, without attacking other people

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
5 DLC Smash Ultimate.png

In no particular order of reveal,

Geno - Mii Fighter outfit, insanely popular, speculated Square-Enix DLC incoming. Sakurai wanted him since Brawl. Super Mario RPG & Geno not forgotten. IMO highest possibility.
Lloyd Irving - Between him and Heihachi (who could be seen as a loving tribute using older voice clips from various Tekken games). Mii Fighter outfit, arguably the Cloud Strife of the Tales series in terms of popularity. Possible Yuri Lowell Mii Fighter outfit to go along with the Switch release of Tales of Vesperia?
Banjo & Kazooie - Arguably the biggest requested icons for ages, merchandise renewal, Microsoft's willing to play ball. Speculated Minecraft content (if not a character, Mii Fighter costume for the swordfighter) which lends itself to Microsoft involvement.
Katalina - Granblue Fantasy, while having a substantial following in Japan, hasn't made a huge gacha splash like Fire Emblem Heroes or Fate/Grand Order have in the Americas. That being said, asides from potential rumors and Nintendo holding Cygames stock (Dragalia Lost being made by them too), she feels like the "outta left field" character that sparked buzz like Cloud did, albeit not from a popularity standpoint.
Rex/Pyra/Mythra - Despite being "deconfirmed" by being given a Mii Fighter outfit, I still feel as though their chances stand to be fairly high. And I noted all three because my prediction is that all three are going to be playable characters. Much like the Pokémon Trainer is three characters in one. (I've played XC2, so I know how lore-wise the driver/blade system works.)

Honestly, if this were my wishlist, it'd have had Shadow, Sephiroth or Sora on it, but hey. It could happen. And if Smash 4's DLC taught us anything, it's that the grand majority of it (even the veterans) were fanservice that got people hyped and bought it all.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
View attachment 176726

Geno - Mii Fighter outfit, insanely popular, speculated Square-Enix DLC incoming. Sakurai wanted him since Brawl. Super Mario RPG & Geno not forgotten. IMO highest possibility.
Lloyd Irving - Between him and Heihachi (who could be seen as a loving tribute using older voice clips from various Tekken games). Mii Fighter outfit, arguably the Cloud Strife of the Tales series in terms of popularity. Possible Yuri Lowell Mii Fighter outfit to go along with the Switch release of Tales of Vesperia?
Banjo & Kazooie - Arguably the biggest requested icons for ages, merchandise renewal, Microsoft's willing to play ball. Speculated Minecraft content (if not a character, Mii Fighter costume for the swordfighter) which lends itself to Microsoft involvement.
Katalina - Granblue Fantasy, while having a substantial following in Japan, hasn't made a huge gacha splash like Fire Emblem Heroes or Fate/Grand Order have in the Americas. That being said, asides from potential rumors and Nintendo holding Cygames stock (Dragalia Lost being made by them too), she feels like the "outta left field" character that sparked buzz like Cloud did, albeit not from a popularity standpoint.
Rex/Pyra/Mythra - Despite being "deconfirmed" by being given a Mii Fighter outfit, I still feel as though their chances stand to be fairly high. And I noted all three because my prediction is that all three are going to be playable characters. Much like the Pokémon Trainer is three characters in one. (I've played XC2, so I know how lore-wise the driver/blade system works.)

Honestly, if this were my wishlist, it'd have had Shadow, Sephiroth or Sora on it, but hey. It could happen. And if Smash 4's DLC taught us anything, it's that the grand majority of it (even the veterans) was fanservice that got people hyped and bought it all.
that wpuld be a pretty hard pass from me if that was the DLC

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I meaaaan...The thread was a joke, but the situation everywhere still have a part of truth. Since the reveal of Piranha plant, Geno fans get attacked, but they're also extremely defensive whenever someone brought up Geno's chance as a Square-Enix rep even more after the Tweet saying that Nintendo made the selection.

TL;DR that situation as a whole is stupid, people should just enjoy that AT THE VERY LEAST we might get an SE rep, whoever that is and enjoy the ride, hope for the best, without attacking other people
So they're being attacked....and defending themselves after being attacked?

I'm obviously very against anyone being attacked for something as simple as a Smash choice.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So they're being attacked....and defending themselves after being attacked?

I'm obviously very against anyone being attacked for something as simple as a Smash choice.
No? It's from both side, Geno fans jumping in thread when someone mention another SE name and just says "No it's Geno"
The thread can be about Sora, Neku, 2B, Crono, whoever the **** you want from Square-Enix, you will have Geno fans jumping in the thread and going "MUH PUPPET AND HES IN"

That's why I said both sides are stupids

Noipoi

Howdy!
View attachment 176726

Honestly, if this were my wishlist, it'd have had Shadow, Sephiroth or Sora on it, but hey. It could happen. And if Smash 4's DLC taught us anything, it's that the grand majority of it (even the veterans) were fanservice that got people hyped and bought it all.
I am 100% ok with this.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I personally think FE fans are the entitled ones. The series already has far more characters than it needs and they're still asking for more.

D

Deleted member

Katalina has ice powers apparently, and I do rather want an actual ice-user in smash (only one he have now is IC). I suppose if she uses ice a lot I’ll be less averse to her.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 176726

This will be the one time I will let Great Value-brand Fire Emblem allowed. Other than that, any other packs can BTFO.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Believe me, I already know the DLC for this game will completely break this place apart. We got Ridley and K. Rool, and now fans are acting like they're entitled to every character being popular and highly requested.

There's already people complaining about Gen 8 possibly being part of the DLC. If people are complaining about a Pokemon, imagine how much worse it'll be with Steve and Katalina.
Given the level of salt that seems to be scattered around this time, if we end up with another Bayonetta situation again all hell will break loose.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 176726

Honestly, if this were my wishlist, it'd have had Shadow, Sephiroth or Sora on it, but hey. It could happen. And if Smash 4's DLC taught us anything, it's that the grand majority of it (even the veterans) was fanservice that got people hyped and bought it all.

I mean, I guess this list would make a lot of fans happy, but there's too much of an emphasis on third-parties for my tastes.

For me, I'd really like to see at least two Nintendo characters get in. Three would be fantastic, but I won't get ahead of myself.
I personally think FE fans are the entitled ones. The series already has far more characters than it needs and they're still asking for more.
Don't see how that could possibly be considered controversial.

I don't think FE fans act entitled, but I do think we have an excessive number of reps.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Quoting this from the social, because Sakurai has some really good attention to detail. The resemblance for the most part is uncanny.
He also attacks Wolf, because that's the name of a VF character.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
View attachment 176726

I'm sorry, I can't see a Rex costume that is meant to make you feel like you're playing Rex as a bonus to a pass that has Rex as a regular fighter. That just makes no sense.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because quantity aint quality.
People want their favorite characters in, not just a character from the franchise.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think it's healthy to think "X fanbase is entitled" in general. Mindsets like that are just one of the many reasons that Smash fans just can't get along.

People aren't "entitled" for wanting or asking for a character, they are entitled for demanding them, and those unreasonable people are usually vocal minorities that just make the rest of their fanbase look worse then they really are.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

To be fair I can understand complaining about Katilina, but not because she took a spot, but because Nintendo is asking for $6 for what is basically an unkown Japan only character.

It would be like making Roy paid DLC back in Melee. Personally I think Katalina would be an awfulllll DLC choice and that's just because I don't think that's a character you sneak into a fighter pass and sell, regardless of Sakurai warning about it.
It's not entitlement to be unhappy that a character you wanted didn't get in but a character you didn't want did. People have a right to be upset. I'm going to be upset if Katalina gets in but Geno doesn't.

It starts being entitlement when you point fingers and say Katalina took Geno's spot or that Katalina replaced Geno. Or if you say Katalina didn't "deserve" her spot.
That second part where you defined what the entitled meant is exactly what I was reffering to. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I was very upset Mimikyu didn't get in. But I didn't start blaming Incineroar or his fans. I also didn't shut down other Pokemon fans when I was rooting for Mimikyu because my character was "more deserving". That **** is dumb.

That assumes that I want Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina etc. I could want a character who isn't a freaking sword user for once.

People want characters not "more representation". Telling someone they should be happy because the series has enough characters doesn't really make sense if they don't like any of those characters...

Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
i can assure you, the games are better than the anime... gets. past the 100 episode mark the anime starts getting real bad, and then the sequel series they're doing is very Mediocre. basically the same mean spirited jokes start repeating and it kind of loses its heart outside of a few bits.

generally the games have more focused plots and are better at keeping a tone that can border between comedy and drama. the first yokai watch movie is actually one of my favorite movies because of this, its basically just a straight adaptation of the second game with filler removed and condensed down to the more dramatic bits

yokai watch has some good designs, you can point to the "lol that one's ugly" designs but those are also half of the point, yokai in mythology are either mischievous or straight up evil so they aren't usually portrayed as being cute and marketable (tho obviously yokai watch has those too). there are even good creepy designs, like the actually terrifying tamamo no mae thats in the new movie

and also yeah they are still making Yokai watch movies because the series is still popular enough to warrant them
I mean, I didn't know much about the games and just assumed you can collect them and use them for battle, similar to Pokemon (but different gameplay mechanics), so it's good to know that there's more to it than that, apologies if I came off as someone who disregards the games entirely and didn't like it. I agree I do like the designs of those Yokais including their cute, creepy, ugly, and scary features/elements which I guess it's their use of comedy while players are focusing on the story (idk if each of them have weird purposes in the games though before you collect them). I only watched like a few episodes (mostly season 1) so I wouldn't know if it gets bad later on, it's been so long since I watched it too. I heard great things about the movies that they're better than the episodes since my little brother enjoyed the first movie, he used to love learning about them through the anime but I don't know if he does that now. So I'll take your word on it that the games are better than the anime, it does have some interesting elements and humour involved where Yokais can talk/have personality unlike Pokemon.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That would be like if Pokemon fans expected to get their favourite Pokemon, though.
It would be if either expected to get their favorite pokemon.
Neither Pokemon fans or FE fans expect anything, just want.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Lucario, though. Definitely excited to play him. Greninja didn't get nerfed either, but buffed a ton, from what his Discord has stated.
All my most anticipated characters got buffs.

K. Rool got buffed so much Sakurai added him to the game.

D

Deleted member

So with the YouTube app finally on the Nintendo Switch, has anyone went to any Smash Ultimate gameplay videos and try to get a feel of how it might feel like playing, especially in portable mode?

I've tried the full CSS, 8-player CSS and 8-player mode, too. Honestly... It's pretty intimidating. Like, really intimidating.

...um, I....png

beans

Smash Lord
I don't think it's healthy to think "X fanbase is entitled" in general. Mindsets like that are just one of the many reasons that Smash fans just can't get along.

People aren't "entitled" for wanting or asking for a character, they are entitled for demanding them, and those unreasonable people are usually vocal minorities that just make the rest of their fanbase look worse then they really are.
But Zach, I need to show how big my high horse is, and how can I do that without pointing at people that arent happy with something?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So with the YouTube app finally on the Nintendo Switch, has anyone went to any Smash Ultimate gameplay videos and try to get a feel of how it might feel like playing, especially in portable mode?

I've tried the full CSS, 8-player CSS and 8-player mode, too. Honestly... It's pretty intimidating. Like, really intimidating.

View attachment 176742
Are you just like not a fan account? Are you really Scott?

I'm starting to get suspicious.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Do you think since Bandi Namco is actually helping develop Smash Bros. Ultimate that Nintendo would be a lot more willing to having more Namco characters on their DLC list?

Is it possible we will see these two clash in Smash for real this time?
IMG_3254.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom